Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Vegan with High Triglycerides - Help!

Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.

What do I do now?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify my diet to get my
blood numbers under control?

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"You don't say what you eat or do." - Here is more information.

I am a vegan Dr John McDougall style (mainly beans, grains, fruits and
vegetables; no dairy or eggs), I pay close attention to my diet and do
not eat any sweets/desserts. I eat a low fat diet (~10-15% calories
from fat) I do however engage in occasional high glycemic index food
eating, white potatoes, rice cakes, pretzels (no salt) etc.. I take my
vitamins everyday (multivitamin, vitamin C, Flax Omega-3).

I work as an engineer in a cubicle and lead a largely sedentary
lifestyle. I am a healthy weight (155 lbs, 5'7").

Right now my goal is to try to eat fewer high glycemic foods and eat
more vegetables. Also, I hope to exercise more, probably engage in
walking.

I wonder if anyone has any other creative ideas to lower my high
triglycerides?

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

wrote:
> "You don't say what you eat or do." - Here is more information.
>
> I am a vegan Dr John McDougall style (mainly beans, grains, fruits and
> vegetables; no dairy or eggs), I pay close attention to my diet and do
> not eat any sweets/desserts. I eat a low fat diet (~10-15% calories
> from fat) I do however engage in occasional high glycemic index food
> eating, white potatoes, rice cakes, pretzels (no salt) etc.. I take my
> vitamins everyday (multivitamin, vitamin C, Flax Omega-3).
>
> I work as an engineer in a cubicle and lead a largely sedentary
> lifestyle. I am a healthy weight (155 lbs, 5'7").
> Bobs
> Right now my goal is to try to eat fewer high glycemic foods and eat
> more vegetables. Also, I hope to exercise more, probably engage in
> walking.
>
> I wonder if anyone has any other creative ideas to lower my high
> triglycerides?

There are new places where they are setting up workstations over
treadmills, so people can walk and work... Very few places offer such
an alternative.

It sounds like you have the right ideas. what less high glycemic foods
and more exercise. While walking is great, speed walking is better.
Consider adding more variety and perhaps resistance training. Great for
your bones as well. Consider cross training.

Another thing to consider, tests are not 100% accurate, especially with
insurance company standards.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.vegan
sTeve

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:16:56 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:

wrote:
>> "You don't say what you eat or do." - Here is more information.
>>
>> I am a vegan Dr John McDougall style (mainly beans, grains, fruits and
>> vegetables; no dairy or eggs), I pay close attention to my diet and do
>> not eat any sweets/desserts. I eat a low fat diet (~10-15% calories
>> from fat) I do however engage in occasional high glycemic index food
>> eating, white potatoes, rice cakes, pretzels (no salt) etc.. I take my
>> vitamins everyday (multivitamin, vitamin C, Flax Omega-3).
>>
>> I work as an engineer in a cubicle and lead a largely sedentary
>> lifestyle. I am a healthy weight (155 lbs, 5'7").
>> Bobs
>> Right now my goal is to try to eat fewer high glycemic foods and eat
>> more vegetables. Also, I hope to exercise more, probably engage in
>> walking.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has any other creative ideas to lower my high
>> triglycerides?

If your blood type is O or B your high triglicerides are easily
explained - and quite possibly treatable with some diet modifications.

If you are A or AB, we'll have to look a little bit more specifically
at what foods you are eating that are causing the rise.

best wishes,

Steve

Posted to alt.food.vegan
ace62

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
> mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.
>
> What do I do now?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify my diet to get my
> blood numbers under control?

Fix those numbers man, mine are like yours, and I just had emergency
angioplasty and stints about a month ago. And I am only 43! Had 3 put in,
and 2 more bad spots, but not bad enough to fix. Have bad CAD. (Coronary
artery disease). On beta blockers for pain.
Buy my Triglycerides have been about 600, and HDL (good stuff) had been
very, very low). A cocktail for problems. Been this way sense I was in my
early 20's when I got it taken the first time. Not that high, but to high.
And has been high for years, but never was told the meaning of the numbers.
I will not go into detail here, but I almost died I think. They got it just
in time. 90-95% blocked, 75-85% blocked, and one down the line from that
one, 40-50 % blocked.

SO dude, do what it takes. And you do not need to take aerobic for exercise,
find a good Tai Chi class. After you learn a set, you can do it a few times
a day. That's something.

Best of luck!

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

wrote:
> Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
> mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.
>
> What do I do now?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify my diet to get my
> blood numbers under control?

For starters, seek professional medical and nutritional advice rather
than turning to crackpots on usenet who share your eating disorder.
Since you wrote with more details, I would urge you to investigate the
other side of the issue (i.e., the opposite of MacDougal's perspective)
regarding fat intake.

For instance, restricting fats does NOT reduce serum lipid levels
concomitantly. The body requires certain amounts of fats for both energy
and maintenance. Fat-deprivation over long periods of time can lead to a
variety of disorders including elevation of triglycerides as well as
neurological issues. Nerve cells (including your brain) require lipids
to function properly.

Second, exercise is remarkably more beneficial in weight maintenance and
creating sound health than simply adopting a peculiar (and the MacDougal
plan IS peculiar) diet. Take up a variety of activities.

Third, I don't understand your "goal" with respect to glycemic issues.
Are you diabetic or do you have a metabolic disorder? If you don't have
such an underlying issue, you should reconsider such restrictions on
your intake. Eat sensibly. That means consuming adequate amounts of all
the macronutrients (fats, protein, and carbohydrates).

Finally, I would urge you to seek professional guidance about eating
disorders. Restrictive diets should be only for people who have
legitimate health issues which demand restrictions. Otherwise-healthy
people shouldn't place burdens on themselves, lest they end up with new
issues like you now have.

Veganism IS such a restrictive diet, and so are these fad restrictive
diets like MacDougal's (which restricts fats) and carb-restrictive diets
which focus on carbs or glycemic index. Though you may choose to remain
vegan, you will have higher hurdles to jump in terms of getting
appropriate nutrition. That includes your choice of supplements (i.e.,
flax capsules which contain both omega-6 and omega-3; you need the
latter, NOT the former).

You would do well now that you have red flags to consider all your
options and make sounder decisions than you have.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:32:18 GMT, usual suspect >

>> Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
>> mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.
>>
>> What do I do now?
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify my diet to get my
>> blood numbers under control?

>For starters, seek professional medical and nutritional advice rather
>than turning to crackpots on usenet who share your eating disorder.
>Since you wrote with more details, I would urge you to investigate the
>other side of the issue (i.e., the opposite of MacDougal's perspective)
>regarding fat intake.

Good advice on seeking advice from the pros' but......
Why would you assume advice given would come from crackpots?
Some here with similar ailments or who know friends in such situations
probably have information received from professionals that they'd be
happy to share and suggest he research into and seek info on.

>For instance, restricting fats does NOT reduce serum lipid levels
>concomitantly. The body requires certain amounts of fats for both energy
>and maintenance. Fat-deprivation over long periods of time can lead to a
>variety of disorders including elevation of triglycerides as well as
>neurological issues. Nerve cells (including your brain) require lipids
>to function properly.

Good advice. The body does require saturated fats - it's only in
excess amounts is it very damaging. Monosaturated fats are vital in
maintaining a healthy heart by lowering LDL cholesterol and boosting
HDL levels. As for polyunsaturated fats keep a very careful eye on
keeping your Omega 3 sources very high and Omega 6 intake [healthily]
low enough to be almost in balance with the Omega 3 amounts.

>Second, exercise is remarkably more beneficial in weight maintenance and
>creating sound health than simply adopting a peculiar (and the MacDougal
>plan IS peculiar) diet. Take up a variety of activities.

True--- Exercise critical. A skinny person consistently devoid of
proper nutrition and exercise does not fare much better
longetivity-wise is an 'obese' inactive person.

>Third, I don't understand your "goal" with respect to glycemic issues.
>Are you diabetic or do you have a metabolic disorder? If you don't have
>such an underlying issue, you should reconsider such restrictions on
>your intake. Eat sensibly. That means consuming adequate amounts of all
>the macronutrients (fats, protein, and carbohydrates).

Particularly eat high amounts of protein regarding G.I issues. Don't
overdo the carbs AT ALL! Great non-meat/fish sources of protein are
Tofu, cauliflower, soybean, walnuts, pine nuts, kale, bulgor. If you
like potatoes, opt for sweet potatoes and red potatoes which have a
lower G.I than white ones. Figure out, based on your sex/activity,
your minimum healthy daily calorie intake requirements and from there
your minimal protein intake and a lower proportion of Carb intake.

>Finally, I would urge you to seek professional guidance about eating
>disorders. Restrictive diets should be only for people who have
>legitimate health issues which demand restrictions. Otherwise-healthy
>people shouldn't place burdens on themselves, lest they end up with new
>issues like you now have.

Agreed on eating as you see fit, but nutrition information is the key.
What meat-eaters may perceive as restrictive in a general sense, is
[in my case anyway] not a pertinent issue regarding being only used
for 'legitimate health issues'. Leaving out from my diet meat, fish,
eggs, [lacto-vegetarian by definition I suppose] and getting all the
proper nutrition intake that IS abundantly available from other
sources is just my personal option for being healthy along with
remaining constantly active. The perception that those on such diets
are weak, emaciated and light-headed is quite false. Once again it
comes down to meeting your proper minimal calorie intake/balance and
making sure your micronutrients needs are met. I'd think anyone should
be restrictive in avoiding trans-fats and hydrogenated oils regardless
of whatever source it comes from.

>Veganism IS such a restrictive diet, and so are these fad restrictive
>diets like MacDougal's (which restricts fats) and carb-restrictive diets
>which focus on carbs or glycemic index. Though you may choose to remain
>vegan, you will have higher hurdles to jump in terms of getting
>appropriate nutrition. That includes your choice of supplements (i.e.,
>flax capsules which contain both omega-6 and omega-3; you need the
>latter, NOT the former).
>
>You would do well now that you have red flags to consider all your
>options and make sounder decisions than you have.

Agreed. It's all a learning process. Even with dissenting views in
this newsgroup there is much valid information to peruse through and
appreciate.
Another good red flag is making sure you don't have too much of a good
thing. Keep in mind dangerous toxicity issues if you excessively
overdo your intake of several micronutrients [ minerals and vitamins].

Some research you may want to look into and seek advice on regards
MCT - Medium Chain Triglycerides.

wrote:
>> Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
>> mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.

Some useful sites you may like;
http://www.dietitian.com/vegetari.html
http://www.glycemicindex.com/
http://www.youngagain.com/noname62.html

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
>>>Just got my blood test results back, my triglycerides are too high (550
>>>mg/dL) and my HDLs are too low.
>>>
>>>What do I do now?
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify my diet to get my
>>>blood numbers under control?

>>For starters, seek professional medical and nutritional advice rather
>>than turning to crackpots on usenet who share your eating disorder.
>>Since you wrote with more details, I would urge you to investigate the
>>other side of the issue (i.e., the opposite of MacDougal's perspective)
>>regarding fat intake.

> Good advice on seeking advice from the pros' but......
> Why would you assume advice given would come from crackpots?

How would YOU distinguish between a crackpot foot-masseuse like Lesley
and someone who gives sound advice?

> Some here with similar ailments or who know friends in such situations
> probably have information received from professionals that they'd be
> happy to share and suggest he research into and seek info on.

Lesley claims to have healed her sister's brain injury by rubbing her
feet, to have protected her cats from viruses by use of a device called
a Zapper, and so on. She is one example of the kooks masquerading as
"experts" on USENET. Others here will recommend veganism even if it
causes more problems than it solves for any particular individual.
Clearly, the original poster has an issue which requires professional
advice and treatment. He doesn't need armchair vegan "nutritionists"
advising him and potentially ****ing up his problems even more than they
already are.

>>For instance, restricting fats does NOT reduce serum lipid levels
>>concomitantly. The body requires certain amounts of fats for both energy
>>and maintenance. Fat-deprivation over long periods of time can lead to a
>>variety of disorders including elevation of triglycerides as well as
>>neurological issues. Nerve cells (including your brain) require lipids
>>to function properly.

> Good advice. The body does require saturated fats - it's only in
> excess amounts is it very damaging.

Anything in excess is potentially damaging. That includes ignorance, and
you have more than your fair share of it. The diet should contain less
than 10% of total daily calories. In a 2000-calorie per day plan, that
would mean no more than 20 grams of saturated fat.

> Monosaturated

Mono*UN*saturated, you ****ing imbecile. Mono**UN**saturated. You're the
goddam epitome of the problem with seeking advice over USENET.

> fats are vital in
> maintaining a healthy heart by lowering LDL cholesterol and boosting
> HDL levels.

You have the cart before the horse: monoUNsaturated fats elevate HDL and
that works to (marginally) decrease LDL.

> As for polyunsaturated fats keep a very careful eye on
> keeping your Omega 3 sources very high and Omega 6 intake [healthily]
> low enough to be almost in balance with the Omega 3 amounts.

Again, you're a ****ing clueless idiot. Mono*UN*saturated fats also
contain omega-6 FAs (and, with the exception of canola, little or no
omega-3). Polyunsaturated oils also don't contain much (if any) omega-3 FAs.

More importantly, it's next to impossible to balance omega-3 and omega-6
fatty acids into a favorable ratio without consuming some meat (fish,
grass-fed beef, wild game, etc.) or fish oil supplements. Vegetarian
sources of omega-3 also tend to have a high ratio of omega-6 and have no
long-chained FAs (either omega-3 or -6).
http://efaeducation.nih.gov/sig/esstable.html

>>Second, exercise is remarkably more beneficial in weight maintenance and
>>creating sound health than simply adopting a peculiar (and the MacDougal
>>plan IS peculiar) diet. Take up a variety of activities.

> True--- Exercise critical. A skinny person consistently devoid of
> proper nutrition and exercise does not fare much better
> longetivity-wise is an 'obese' inactive person.

What a ****. Malnourished skinny people don't fare *ANY* better than
anyone else.

>>Third, I don't understand your "goal" with respect to glycemic issues.
>>Are you diabetic or do you have a metabolic disorder? If you don't have
>>such an underlying issue, you should reconsider such restrictions on
>>your intake. Eat sensibly. That means consuming adequate amounts of all
>>the macronutrients (fats, protein, and carbohydrates).

> Particularly eat high amounts of protein regarding G.I issues. Don't
> overdo the carbs AT ALL!

That's why the OP finds himself in trouble now, you ****ing moron. You
don't correct extremes with other extremes -- that only makes things
worse. He needs *moderation* in his life and diet. That's why he should
NOT seek advice from vegans on usenet. ****.

<...>
>>Finally, I would urge you to seek professional guidance about eating
>>disorders. Restrictive diets should be only for people who have
>>legitimate health issues which demand restrictions. Otherwise-healthy
>>people shouldn't place burdens on themselves, lest they end up with new
>>issues like you now have.

> Agreed on eating as you see fit,

Then shut the **** up and stop dispensing advice based on personal
philosophy rather than science.

>>Veganism IS such a restrictive diet, and so are these fad restrictive
>>diets like MacDougal's (which restricts fats) and carb-restrictive diets
>>which focus on carbs or glycemic index. Though you may choose to remain
>>vegan, you will have higher hurdles to jump in terms of getting
>>appropriate nutrition. That includes your choice of supplements (i.e.,
>>flax capsules which contain both omega-6 and omega-3; you need the
>>latter, NOT the former).
>>
>>You would do well now that you have red flags to consider all your
>>options and make sounder decisions than you have.

> Agreed.

The shut the **** up and stop dispensing vegan pseudoscience. The OP
needs help, not another vegan nitwit telling him to research MCTs. You
are exactly the kind of usenet twit he should avoid.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

usual suspect corrected:
<...>
>> Good advice. The body does require saturated fats - it's only in
>> excess amounts is it very damaging.

> Anything in excess is potentially damaging. That includes ignorance, and
> you have more than your fair share of it. The diet should contain less
> than 10% of total daily calories

in the form of saturated fats.

> In a 2000-calorie per day plan, that
> would mean no more than 20 grams of saturated fat.

<...>
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:52:31 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>usual suspect corrected:

I'm surprised you didn't call yourself an 'f'ing poofda imbecile' when
you corrected yourself. Most of your ranting is laughable to me at
best, and makes you seem like the veritable crackpot whose comments
one should be wary of.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:47:18 GMT, usual suspect >
wrote:

>Lesley claims to have healed her sister's brain injury by rubbing her
>feet, to have protected her cats from viruses by use of a device called
>a Zapper, and so on.

Hopefully something miraculous will heal your brain injury that makes
get into rabid hysterics
..
>>>For instance, restricting fats does NOT reduce serum lipid levels
>>>concomitantly. The body requires certain amounts of fats for both energy
>>>and maintenance. Fat-deprivation over long periods of time can lead to a

Telling me something I know already, if you read what I said.

>Anything in excess is potentially damaging.

Dopey generalised statement - of course.

>> Monosaturated

>Mono*UN*saturated, you ****ing imbecile. Mono**UN**saturated. You're the
>goddam epitome of the problem with seeking advice over USENET.

Spelling error which you do infrequently. Imagine blowing a gasket
over that. Please don't be a judge at a Spelling B.

>You have the cart before the horse: monoUNsaturated fats elevate HDL and
>that works to (marginally) decrease LDL.

Sweet Lord.... hyped over that!

>> As for polyunsaturated fats keep a very careful eye on
>> keeping your Omega 3 sources very high and Omega 6 intake [healthily]
>> low enough to be almost in balance with the Omega 3 amounts.

>Polyunsaturated oils also don't contain much (if any) omega-3 FAs.

Are you nuts?!

>More importantly, it's next to impossible to balance omega-3 and omega-6
>fatty acids into a favorable ratio without consuming some meat (fish,
>grass-fed beef, wild game, etc.) or fish oil supplements.

You are nuts. Keep track of amounts of intakes of Omega 6 and Omega 3
and you'll know you can do it. But you never like to say 'never say
never'.

>>> Exercise critical. A skinny person consistently devoid of

>> proper nutrition and exercise does not fare much better
>> longetivity-wise is an 'obese' inactive person.

>What a ****. Malnourished skinny people don't fare *ANY* better than
>anyone else.

You got pretty riled up there-more than usual- are you hinting you are
inactive and obese.

>>> Don't

>> overdo the carbs AT ALL!

>That's why the OP finds himself in trouble now, you ****ing moron. You
>don't correct extremes with other extremes -- that only makes things
>worse. He needs *moderation* in his life and diet. That's why he should
>NOT seek advice from vegans on usenet. ****.

Well "Mr.All Sudies and no practicality" I have a couple of friends
with G.I issues and IF you think not overdoing Carbs is of no concern
then you are a crackpot on crack.

>Then shut the **** up and stop dispensing advice based on personal
>philosophy rather than science.

Actually your consistent ranting probably puts many people off much of
what you 'claim'. Take assistance when you get it.

>The shut the **** up and stop dispensing vegan pseudoscience. The OP
>needs help, not another vegan nitwit telling him to research MCTs.

I'm vegetarian you presumptive monkey; where did I say I was a vegan?
>are exactly the kind of usenet twit he should avoid.

I have a feeling many people avoid you for a number of unflattering
reasons.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Joe wrote:
>>usual suspect corrected:

> I'm surprised

Only because you're ****ing clueless.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>
>>> usual suspect corrected:

>> I'm surprised

> Only because you're ****ing clueless.

That's typical of you nasty personality. He came seeking honest advice.

I explained carbs get converted to fats, there are genetic components
and exercise. He should also consult you his medical professional.

Your statement is just plain mean and provides no information.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>>> I'm surprised

>> Only because you're ****ing clueless.

> That's typical of you nasty personality. He came seeking honest advice.

Did you read what Joe wrote and to what I replied, dumb ass? Go back
through the thread and see if what I wrote isn't appropriate. Moron.

> I explained carbs get converted to fats, there are genetic components
> and exercise. He should also consult you his medical professional.

That was in response to JOE, not to the original poster (Miguel?).

> Your statement is just plain mean and provides no information.

Go **** yourself, you drug-addled pansy. I corrected a point I'd made
and Joe replied, "I'm surprised you didn't call yourself an 'f'ing
poofda imbecile' when you corrected yourself." Why are you so goddam dense?
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

>>> Only because you're ****ing clueless.

>> That's typical of you nasty personality. He came seeking honest advice.

> Did you read what Joe wrote and to what I replied, dumb ass? Go back
> through the thread and see if what I wrote isn't appropriate. Moron.
>
>> I explained carbs get converted to fats, there are genetic components
>> and exercise. He should also consult you his medical professional.

> That was in response to JOE, not to the original poster (Miguel?).
>
>> Your statement is just plain mean and provides no information.

> Go **** yourself, you drug-addled pansy. I corrected a point I'd made
> and Joe replied, "I'm surprised you didn't call yourself an 'f'ing
> poofda imbecile' when you corrected yourself." Why are you so goddam dense?

The information I gave was correct. I'm not taking any meds that I
needed after a car accident. And I'd never be so nasty as you.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:15:21 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:

>The information I gave was correct. I'm not taking any meds that I
>needed after a car accident. And I'd never be so nasty as you.

Could anyone be as nasty as this baffoon. Suspect is destined to live
a lonely, miserable, whiney life which will be pretty sad once he hits
senior age.

Posted to alt.food.vegan