FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Sauerkraut (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/73073-sauerkraut.html)

Taemon 30-10-2005 11:18 AM

Sauerkraut

Hi,

I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't want
to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare sauerkraut?

T.

C. James Strutz 30-10-2005 01:47 PM

Sauerkraut

"Taemon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't really
> like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't want to do that,
> do we precious? So - how do you prepare sauerkraut?

I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan and
you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is great.

We have a lot of ethnic churches here in western PA that sell pierogies to
raise money. Literally, little old Polish and Ukranian ladies make them in
the basement of the church. Quality varies widely however. Pierogies from
one nearby church come slathered in lots of butter - yuk. Actually, Mrs. T's
pierogies that you buy frozen in the supermarket aren't too bad.

Taemon 31-10-2005 08:20 PM

Sauerkraut

C. James Strutz wrote:

> "Taemon" > wrote in message
>> I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
>> really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
>> want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
>> sauerkraut?

> I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
> and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
> great.

We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)

T.

Barnacle Bill 02-11-2005 05:34 AM

Sauerkraut

On 2005-10-31, Taemon > wrote:
> C. James Strutz wrote:
>
>> "Taemon" > wrote in message
>>> I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
>>> really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
>>> want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
>>> sauerkraut?

>> I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
>> and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
>> great.

> We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
> good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)
>
> T.

Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
worthless without some kind of sausage...

BB

Taemon 02-11-2005 09:58 AM

Sauerkraut

Barnacle Bill wrote:

> Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
> worthless without some kind of sausage...

We have relatively good vegetarian sausages here. Not vegan, as it
contains some egg. But since they are free-range eggs, I don't mind. I
hardly eat them anyway. No, it's the cheese I'll have to find
something about. Same with fennel. I hate fennel. I discovered that if
you marinate it with oil and lots of lemon juice and then grill it,
it's just about palatable. But to make it good, it needs a soft white
cheese. I'll think about it some more.

T.

C. James Strutz 02-11-2005 03:32 PM

Sauerkraut

"Barnacle Bill" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-31, Taemon > wrote:
>> C. James Strutz wrote:

>>> I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
>>> and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
>>> great.

>> We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
>> good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)
>>
>> T.
>>

> Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
> worthless without some kind of sausage...

I disagree. Sauerkraut is good by itself, without sausage or pierogies or
anything else. Maybe it's an acquired taste for some people - depends on the
individual I suppose.

Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread. Maybe
invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use vegan
swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with hummus.
Something like that...

Barnacle Bill 03-11-2005 02:44 AM

Sauerkraut

On 2005-11-02, C. James Strutz > wrote:
> Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
> sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
> sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread. Maybe
> invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use vegan
> swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with hummus.
> Something like that...

Reuben...

Your welcome.

C. James Strutz 03-11-2005 02:01 PM

Sauerkraut

"Barnacle Bill" > wrote in message
> On 2005-11-02, C. James Strutz > wrote:
>> Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
>> sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
>> sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread.
>> Maybe
>> invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use
>> vegan
>> swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with
>> hummus.
>> Something like that...

> Reuben...
>
> Your welcome.