Vegan (alt.food.vegan) This newsgroup exists to share ideas and issues of concern among vegans. We are always happy to share our recipes- perhaps especially with omnivores who are simply curious- or even better, accomodating a vegan guest for a meal!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Richard Miller
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Barnacle Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

On 2005-10-19, Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?


Yup. In the one case, you have a dish of fried potatoes. In
the other you have a salad. Is this a trick question?
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-10-2005, 03:42 AM
Scented Nectar
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

"Barnacle Bill" wrote in message
...
On 2005-10-19, Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?


Yup. In the one case, you have a dish of fried potatoes. In
the other you have a salad. Is this a trick question?


I'll take one of each with a tall
glass of carrot juice please!

Seriously though, some people
will probably say that the raw oil
in the salad is more healthy than
the cooked potatoes oil.


--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Steve
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?


Yes, heating the olive oil changes its chemical properties. When it is
raw it is very healthy. When it is cooked it is not so healthy and only
slightly better than other oils. If it is over heated (smoking) it can
be flat out bad for you.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Barnacle Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

On 2005-10-19, Scented Nectar wrote:
"Barnacle Bill" wrote in message
...
On 2005-10-19, Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?


Yup. In the one case, you have a dish of fried potatoes. In
the other you have a salad. Is this a trick question?


I'll take one of each with a tall
glass of carrot juice please!

Seriously though, some people
will probably say that the raw oil
in the salad is more healthy than
the cooked potatoes oil.



How bout if you don't FRY the potatoes in the oil, but put
them on a shallow pan, (liberally) drizzle the oil over them,
add salt, pepper, and the herbs of your choice, then do them
in the oven?

People!!! Please spend less time worrying about what's bad in
the food you eat, and more actually ENJOYING what you eat.
Have a glass of Aussie Shiraz or California semillon and yuk
it up! We're ALL going to die. Remember, if you extend your
life by ten years, that's ten years of being OLD.

Barnacle Bill


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Dave
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil


Barnacle Bill wrote:
On 2005-10-19, Scented Nectar wrote:
"Barnacle Bill" wrote in message
...
On 2005-10-19, Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?

Yup. In the one case, you have a dish of fried potatoes. In
the other you have a salad. Is this a trick question?


I'll take one of each with a tall
glass of carrot juice please!

Seriously though, some people
will probably say that the raw oil
in the salad is more healthy than
the cooked potatoes oil.



How bout if you don't FRY the potatoes in the oil, but put
them on a shallow pan, (liberally) drizzle the oil over them,
add salt, pepper, and the herbs of your choice, then do them
in the oven?

People!!! Please spend less time worrying about what's bad in
the food you eat, and more actually ENJOYING what you eat.
Have a glass of Aussie Shiraz or California semillon and yuk
it up! We're ALL going to die. Remember, if you extend your
life by ten years, that's ten years of being OLD.


That's a fallacy. The ten extra years are likely to be healthy
years.

Barnacle Bill


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Joe
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Nice cook tip, but 10 [hopefully healthy] years extra of loved ones
enjoying your company or feeling life fulfilled is a plus - you might
even come up with a phenominol invention benifitting mankind in that
time too . Sure healthy eating is not a 100% guarantee of a dismal
out of life but odds are folks of all sizes who apparently are 'not
worrying about they eat' and not exercising are in for big trouble.
Look at the out-of-shape kids today in the U.S and too, the elderly in
those European countries where healthy eating was the norm, now all
are eating whatEVER they enjoy and not worrying about it - the price
to be paid will be increased risks of heart problems amongst other
woes....

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:45:04 -0000, Barnacle Bill
wrote:

On 2005-10-19, Scented Nectar wrote:
"Barnacle Bill" wrote in message
...
On 2005-10-19, Richard Miller wrote:
Is there any differance in frying your potatoes in 1 oz of olive oil and
putting 1 oz in your salad?

Yup. In the one case, you have a dish of fried potatoes. In
the other you have a salad. Is this a trick question?


I'll take one of each with a tall
glass of carrot juice please!

Seriously though, some people
will probably say that the raw oil
in the salad is more healthy than
the cooked potatoes oil.



How bout if you don't FRY the potatoes in the oil, but put
them on a shallow pan, (liberally) drizzle the oil over them,
add salt, pepper, and the herbs of your choice, then do them
in the oven?

People!!! Please spend less time worrying about what's bad in
the food you eat, and more actually ENJOYING what you eat.
Have a glass of Aussie Shiraz or California semillon and yuk
it up! We're ALL going to die. Remember, if you extend your
life by ten years, that's ten years of being OLD.

Barnacle Bill


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2005, 02:48 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Spread_deMocracy
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Barnacle Bill makes great sense and has my vote!!

"Barnacle Bill" [SNIP] People!!! Please spend less time worrying about
what's bad in
the food you eat, and more actually ENJOYING what you eat.
Have a glass of Aussie Shiraz or California semillon and yuk
it up! We're ALL going to die. Remember, if you extend your
life by ten years, that's ten years of being OLD.

Barnacle Bill



  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2005, 05:38 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Barnacle Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

On 2005-10-27, Spread_deMocracy wrote:
Barnacle Bill makes great sense and has my vote!!

"Barnacle Bill" [SNIP] People!!! Please spend less time worrying about
what's bad in
the food you eat, and more actually ENJOYING what you eat.
Have a glass of Aussie Shiraz or California semillon and yuk
it up! We're ALL going to die. Remember, if you extend your
life by ten years, that's ten years of being OLD.

Barnacle Bill




Thanks. I do indeed enjoy all manner of food! I am not a
vegan, or even a vegetarian, though I have followed both
regimens at various times in my 58 years. I've done
macrobiotic, vegan, egg-and-dairy vegetarian, and
everything-but-mammal diets. I like vegetable tempura and
anything made with eggplant. Sometimes I've done a particular
diet for health reasons or even economic reasons.

I ate macrobiotic in the 60's when I also consumed a lot of
psychedelic substances. I thought it would keep me sane. The
jury is still out.

Now my diet consists of as much fresh, natural, unprocessed
foods as possible, ignoring the occasional bag of Doritos or
package of Hostess Twinkies. I eat lots of fresh fish, much
of which I catch; I eat eggs from local scratch hens, I eat
wild mushrooms, I eat wild meat whenever possible: deer,
rabbits, moose, elk, squirrels, racoons, buffalo, wild boar,
etc., I'm still eating one of the deer I killed last year.
The bays here yield much shellfish and crabs. There are
blueberries, beach plums and hickory nuts. Life is good.

Local wild grapes yield a serviceable wine, though I prefer
store-bought.

At 58, my memory is getting a bit unreliable, my BP hovers
near the high end, and my joints ache sometimes, but I'm happy
and in LOVE and most of all, I don't need viagra...

BB
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-10-2005, 04:08 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Barnacle Bill wrote:

At 58, my memory is getting a bit unreliable, my BP hovers
near the high end, and my joints ache sometimes, but I'm happy
and in LOVE and most of all, I don't need viagra...


:-)

It's the eggplant, I tell you.

T.




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-10-2005, 03:26 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Barnacle Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

On 2005-10-29, Taemon wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:

At 58, my memory is getting a bit unreliable, my BP hovers
near the high end, and my joints ache sometimes, but I'm happy
and in LOVE and most of all, I don't need viagra...


:-)

It's the eggplant, I tell you.

T.


Hot Damn! I went out and bought an armload o' them suckers.
First one is gonna get stuffed with its own innards, cubed and
mixed with onions and peppers and garlic, and sauteed in, you
guessed it, OLIVE OIL. A whole gang of it.

BB
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-10-2005, 10:17 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon
 
Posts: n/a
Default Olive Oil

Barnacle Bill wrote:

On 2005-10-29, Taemon wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:
At 58, my memory is getting a bit unreliable, my BP hovers
near the high end, and my joints ache sometimes, but I'm happy
and in LOVE and most of all, I don't need viagra...

It's the eggplant, I tell you.

Hot Damn! I went out and bought an armload o' them suckers.
First one is gonna get stuffed with its own innards, cubed and
mixed with onions and peppers and garlic, and sauteed in, you
guessed it, OLIVE OIL. A whole gang of it.


That's the spirit! I like to cut them into think slices, marinate them
in OLIVE OIL, garlic, paprika powder and the like, grill them until
they blacken and then... food processor time! With peel and all. Makes
a wonderful tapenade. I think it would be a good idea to form it into
balls, roll them in breadcrumb and deep-fry them, but that might be
less than, er, healthy ;-)

T.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olive Oil again The Cook General Cooking 5 11-09-2012 06:53 PM
olive oil [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-02-2008 09:50 AM
Olive Dip Sue Ulrich Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2008 06:31 PM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] General Cooking 1 12-08-2006 10:24 AM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] Marketplace 0 12-08-2006 06:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017