Taemon

Default Carrots

Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

T.

Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
> subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
> taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
> the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!
>
> T.

I usually just eat them raw. You can dice them up and put them in
soups or stews. There are also some nice recipes for Carrot soup.

I think I've tried this recipe or one very similar
http://www.coopfoodstore.com/html/re...arrotSoup.html

-nancy-
Steve

Taemon wrote:
> Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
> subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
> taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
> the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

Slice them thin, diagnolly. Saute them in oil with other vegetables.

Add to grains.

Enjoy.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
C. James Strutz

"Taemon" > wrote in message
> Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
> subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
> taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's the
> word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They tend to
pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them. I use them for
a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw with hummus on weekend
road trips, use them in soups and stews, use them to sweeten tomato sauce.
Oh, another thing I learned from somebody who lived in South America for a
long time: shave carrots into thin strips and dress them in lemon juice,
salt to taste. Eat them with your fingers.

Taemon

C. James Strutz wrote:

> "Taemon" > wrote in message
>> Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
>> subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for
>> my taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine
>> (what's the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

> I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They
> tend to pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them.

I like the juice. Carrot juice is very soft and creamy and sweet. But
I would like to have some other possibilitiets.

> I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw
> with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews, use
> them to sweeten tomato sauce.

It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's
partly because one can down juice so quickly :-)

> Oh, another thing I learned from
> somebody who lived in South America for a long time: shave carrots
> into thin strips and dress them in lemon juice, salt to taste. Eat
> them with your fingers.

Oh, I'll be sure to try that! Thank you, and the others.

T.

C. James Strutz

"Taemon" > wrote in message
> C. James Strutz wrote:
>
>> "Taemon" > wrote in message
>>> Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
>>> subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for
>>> my taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine
>>> (what's the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

>> I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They
>> tend to pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them.

> I like the juice. Carrot juice is very soft and creamy and sweet. But I
> would like to have some other possibilitiets.
>
>> I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw
>> with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews, use
>> them to sweeten tomato sauce.

> It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's partly
> because one can down juice so quickly :-)

No, you use the sweetness of the carrots to counteract the bitterness of the
tomato seeds if you leave them in the sauce. Of course, using a food mill to
remove the tomato seeds will obviate the need for carrots.

Taemon

C. James Strutz wrote:

> "Taemon" > wrote in message
>> C. James Strutz wrote:
>>> I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them
>>> raw
>>> with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews,
>>> use
>>> them to sweeten tomato sauce.

>> It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's
>> partly because one can down juice so quickly :-)

> No, you use the sweetness of the carrots to counteract the
> bitterness
> of the tomato seeds if you leave them in the sauce. Of course, using
> a food mill to remove the tomato seeds will obviate the need for
> carrots.

Ah, of course. But if I make tomato sauce, which is rare (I prefer
tomato's raw) I carefully remove the skins and the seeds because I
hate tomato sauce with skins and seeds :-)

I'll be sure to try the lemon juice thingy, though.

T.

Carrots George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 05-03-2012 04:02 PM
Carrots...... Katra General Cooking 46 24-11-2004 04:28 AM
carrots Randell Tarin Vegan 3 30-08-2004 09:59 AM
carrots Michael Balarama Vegan 4 30-08-2004 09:59 AM