Old 09-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Taemon

Default Carrots

Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

T.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

T.

I usually just eat them raw. You can dice them up and put them in
soups or stews. There are also some nice recipes for Carrot soup.

I think I've tried this recipe or one very similar
http://www.coopfoodstore.com/html/re...arrotSoup.html

-nancy-
Old 09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Steve

Taemon wrote:
Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's
the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

Slice them thin, diagnolly. Saute them in oil with other vegetables.

Add to grains.

Enjoy.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
Old 10-10-2005, 01:01 PM
C. James Strutz

"Taemon" wrote in message
Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for my
taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine (what's the
word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They tend to
pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them. I use them for
a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw with hummus on weekend
road trips, use them in soups and stews, use them to sweeten tomato sauce.
Oh, another thing I learned from somebody who lived in South America for a
long time: shave carrots into thin strips and dress them in lemon juice,
salt to taste. Eat them with your fingers.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Taemon

C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for
my taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine
(what's the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They
tend to pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them.

I like the juice. Carrot juice is very soft and creamy and sweet. But
I would like to have some other possibilitiets.

I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw
with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews, use
them to sweeten tomato sauce.

It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's
partly because one can down juice so quickly :-)

Oh, another thing I learned from
somebody who lived in South America for a long time: shave carrots
into thin strips and dress them in lemon juice, salt to taste. Eat
them with your fingers.

Oh, I'll be sure to try that! Thank you, and the others.

T.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:09 PM
C. James Strutz

"Taemon" wrote in message
C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
Come on people, help me out here! I've got carrots in my vegetable
subscription this week. I'm not too fond of carrots - too sweet for
my taste. Usually I, er, juice them in my, er, juicing machine
(what's the word?) but does anyone have recipes? Recipes! Recipes!

I always get a lot of carrots in my vegetable subscription too. They
tend to pile up in my refrigerator until I get around to using them.

I like the juice. Carrot juice is very soft and creamy and sweet. But I
would like to have some other possibilitiets.

I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them raw
with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews, use
them to sweeten tomato sauce.

It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's partly
because one can down juice so quickly :-)

No, you use the sweetness of the carrots to counteract the bitterness of the
tomato seeds if you leave them in the sauce. Of course, using a food mill to
remove the tomato seeds will obviate the need for carrots.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Taemon

C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
C. James Strutz wrote:
I use them for a few things: grating them onto salads, eat them
raw
with hummus on weekend road trips, use them in soups and stews,
use
them to sweeten tomato sauce.

It's the sweetness I don't like :-) In juice it's okay, but that's
partly because one can down juice so quickly :-)

No, you use the sweetness of the carrots to counteract the
bitterness
of the tomato seeds if you leave them in the sauce. Of course, using
a food mill to remove the tomato seeds will obviate the need for
carrots.

Ah, of course. But if I make tomato sauce, which is rare (I prefer
tomato's raw) I carefully remove the skins and the seeds because I
hate tomato sauce with skins and seeds :-)

I'll be sure to try the lemon juice thingy, though.

T.

Carrots George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 05-03-2012 03:02 PM
Carrots...... Katra General Cooking 46 24-11-2004 03:28 AM
carrots Randell Tarin Vegan 3 30-08-2004 09:59 AM
carrots Michael Balarama Vegan 4 30-08-2004 09:59 AM