FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Aunt Jemima Buckwheat (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/71522-aunt-jemima-buckwheat.html)

[email protected] 05-10-2005 02:42 PM

Aunt Jemima Buckwheat

I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?

What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

Beach Runner 05-10-2005 02:54 PM

wrote:
> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?
>
> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

I'm leary of prepared foods. What else is in it?

You can buy plain buckwheat if you want it vegan. Buckwheat is very high
in protein and fiber. My kids loved my buckwheat pancakes years ago. I
added blueberries. There are egg substitutes. I hope you enjoy it.

Kasha also has buckwheat.

Certainly a huge step off of white flower pancakes. All improvement is
important.

Nancy1 05-10-2005 02:56 PM

Beach Runner wrote:
> wrote:
> > I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> > recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
> > healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?
> >
> > What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?
> >

> I'm leary of prepared foods. What else is in it?
>
> You can buy plain buckwheat if you want it vegan. Buckwheat is very high
> in protein and fiber. My kids loved my buckwheat pancakes years ago. I
> added blueberries. There are egg substitutes. I hope you enjoy it.
>
> Kasha also has buckwheat.
>
> Certainly a huge step off of white flower pancakes. All improvement is
> important.

Wow, gardenia pancakes ... who knew? ;-)

I love buckwheat pancakes - it's nostalgia for me; my dad liked to make
them.

N.

Doug Kanter 05-10-2005 03:27 PM

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
m...

> Kasha also has buckwheat.

Kasha *is* buckwheat.

Scented Nectar 05-10-2005 06:41 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?
>
> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

Buckwheat is a very healthy seed.
It's not actually a form of wheat at all.
It's in the same plant family as rhubarb.
My greatgrandmother lived past the
age of 100 and ate kasha everyday
right to the end. Kasha is a way of
preparing buckwheat where you fry
the seeds with some egg and then
add water to cook the bw, and then
add fried onions and sometimes
noodles. I'm sure the recipe can
be veganized. I read of a man who
lived past 100 who ate rhubarb every
day. That combined with my
knowledge of my greatgrandmother
makes me wonder if there is
something very good in this plant
family. Don't OD on buckwheat
though. If you eat too much you
might get itchy spots on your arms.
This happened to me once a long
time ago. I ate buckwheat stew
straight for a couple of days and
not much else. I read on the net
of this happening to other people
too.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Doug Kanter 05-10-2005 06:46 PM

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message

> I'm sure the recipe can
> be veganized.

You don't need the egg. It can be prepared like rice, adding some oil to the
boiling water before putting in the buckwheat. Pay closer attention to it
until the boil reduces to a simmer, stirring so it doesn't stick. Once the
simmer level is reached, it won't stick any more than rice.

Beach Runner 05-10-2005 08:20 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> m...
>

>>Kasha also has buckwheat.
>>

> Kasha *is* buckwheat.

You are right, wrong choise of words.
Don't know how that slipped out.

Beach Runner 05-10-2005 08:21 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
>

>> I'm sure the recipe can
>>be veganized.

> You don't need the egg. It can be prepared like rice, adding some oil to the
> boiling water before putting in the buckwheat. Pay closer attention to it
> until the boil reduces to a simmer, stirring so it doesn't stick. Once the
> simmer level is reached, it won't stick any more than rice.
>
> \

BTW, these'a an old recpie, Kasha a
Varniskas, which are bow ties and pasta.

Beach Runner 06-10-2005 12:11 AM

Beach Runner wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
>> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
>> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?
>>
>> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?
>>

> I'm leary of prepared foods. What else is in it?
>
> You can buy plain buckwheat if you want it vegan. Buckwheat is very high
> in protein and fiber. My kids loved my buckwheat pancakes years ago. I
> added blueberries. There are egg substitutes. I hope you enjoy it.
>
> Kasha also has buckwheat.

i meant Kasha Varnishvas

Scented Nectar 06-10-2005 12:59 AM

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
om...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
> > "Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
> >

> >> I'm sure the recipe can
> >>be veganized.

> > You don't need the egg. It can be prepared like rice, adding some oil to

the
> > boiling water before putting in the buckwheat. Pay closer attention to

it
> > until the boil reduces to a simmer, stirring so it doesn't stick. Once

the
> > simmer level is reached, it won't stick any more than rice.
> >
> > \

> BTW, these'a an old recpie, Kasha a
> Varniskas, which are bow ties and pasta.

I found these ones:
http://vegweb.com/recipes/pasta/4779.shtml
http://www.lenoresnatural.com/kasha_varnishkas.htm
http://www.food-lists.com/lists/arch...1065555497.php

Steve 06-10-2005 01:41 AM

wrote:
> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you?

Extremely

>Is the Aunt Jemima product
> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?

I don't know.

> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

Probably none. If you want to improve your knowledge about what is
healthy there is no substitute for reading books. I have some good ones
described at the link in my sig.

You might also enjoy this vegan health link:

http://www.veganhealth.org

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

Wayne Boatwright 06-10-2005 02:26 AM

On Wed 05 Oct 2005 06:42:50a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?
>
> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

Sorry, can't answer those questions, but it tastes good. Not bad at all for
a mix.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

sTeve 06-10-2005 07:49 PM

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:54:33 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:

Buckwheat is healthy if your bloodtype is not B or AB (B's should
avoid buckwheat, it has a compound in it that causes B cells to
agglutinate. Some O's should avoid it as well.

As to what else is in that particular mix and it's effects on a
person's health...

best wishes,

Steve

[email protected] 06-10-2005 09:24 PM

wrote:
> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?

I use Nunweiler's Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix.
Whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, and non-aluminum baking powder.
You don't need to add anything but water.
They are the best pancakes you will ever eat.

> What's the best newsgroup on the internet for discussing healthy food?

there aren't any. No matter where you go ~jonnie~ and ricky will find
you and start babbling insanely.

Steve 07-10-2005 02:29 AM

sTeve wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:54:33 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:
>
> Buckwheat is healthy if your bloodtype is not B or AB (B's should
> avoid buckwheat, it has a compound in it that causes B cells to
> agglutinate. Some O's should avoid it as well.

I have heard many conventional doctors back up vegetarian and veganism,
I have heard none back up the blood type diet. According to a few
criticisms I have read some of the ideas of the blood type diet
contradict basic text book medical knowledge that has been know for
hundreds of years.

Do not take my word for it. Search google.

No offense intended.

Candi Bowen 07-10-2005 06:26 PM

----------
In article . com>,

>> I noticed "Aunt Jemima Buckwheat Waffle & Pancake Mix" at the store
>> recently. Is buckwheat healthy for you? Is the Aunt Jemima product
>> healthy or did they lose a lot of the nutrients in the processing?

>I use Nunweiler's Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Mix.
>Whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, and non-aluminum baking powder.
>You don't need to add anything but water.
>They are the best pancakes you will ever eat.

Baking powder has aluminum?!!

Brian Huntley 07-10-2005 06:36 PM

Candi Bowen wrote:
> Baking powder has aluminum?!!

Some do - sodium aluminum sulfate. Others use cream of tartar, which is
potassium based.

sTeve 07-10-2005 08:16 PM

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:29:38 -0400, Steve
> wrote:

Good points, but unfortunately, many OTHER conventional doctors don't
backup vegetarianism and/or veganism, and vegans often attack
vegetarianism as being insufficient, and raw foodists are yet another
level of the puzzle.

Also, this post has nothing to do with vegetarianism, veganism or any
other ism. The question was: Is buckwheat healthy for me?

Many doctors and scientists have accredited the concept of food choice
based on blood type, they will also show up on a Google search.

Hundreds of years of history does not make something biologicially
correct. Missinformation, such as the world is flat, was conisidered
common correct knowledge for hundreds of years, and is still believed
today by some people (search google for that one too).

No offense taken.

best wishes,

Steve