Beach Runner

Default Real food

The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not real
food. It's all this highly processed food, made with increasingly
genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

Clearly, in spite of incredible medical advances, cancers and heart
disease run rampant. Our increased longevity is due to toilets, dental
care, antibiotics and drugs. We can keep unhealthy people alive much
longer.

Fresh, local or best home grown food is the best alternative, but what
has become America's largest crop? Grass. And the grass consumes a
huge quantity of limited ground water and we pump tons of chemicals and
toxic chemicals to make gold course like lawns. To get a picture, go
to Wallmarts and see the pallets of grass growing toxins and think about
the huge multinational effect.

The insects will become increasingly resistant to the chemicals, and
weeds resistant to them as well.

Why is corn in almost everything? There were farm subsidies at one time
to keep the market price profitable for small farmers. Now huge
corporations get those subsidies, and grow huge amounts of corn and put
it into everything. See corn syrup and corn starch in most products. I
know people allergic to corn and it creates a nightmare. Not to
mention, what does it contribute to health.

Health, except for a small market doesn't drive food, the most important
medicine. Even most of the vegetarian prepared foods are full of salt
and fat. Don't think buying Tuffitis, Amys, or Linda McCartney's
products are healthy.

Genetically engineered products will and do escape the confines of their
plantings, and can become super weeds.

We also see the production of seeds and food go into fewer and fewer hands.

Usual Suspects, does make a very valid point that the collateral damage
of growing produce using modern methods is heavy. But what concerns me
more is that it becomes so heavily processed foods. Of course much
healthier gardening is possible and should be encouraged.

A great book is Square Foot Gardening on how to use small spaces to grow
large amounts of produce using non toxic methods.

We all know the meat manufacturing industry consumes vast quantities of
water, produces tremendous pollution, and produces very unhealthy foods.

It does profit a few very rich people, especially as the multi-national
food producers consolidate their grip, with tremendous influence on
politics. And of course, if you care as I do about vast amounts of
suffering, food factories are hell holes for the lives of animals.
It is also, heavily dependent on petroleum products.
We need real change. Being a vegan does make a point and does reduce
our impact on the world and is a start. But only a start in the big
picture.

Overpopulation is a root cause of world problems, yet leaders ban birth
control. We can't stuff more people on the planet without the quality
of life and little bit of habitat left to disappear. The Chinese are
using draconian methods of population control, but I wonder if they have
much choice. What would have happened if they kept having 10 kids in
families?

Poor long term planning is course coming back to haunt us. Our road
system doesn't accommodate bicycles and urban sprawl is dependent on oil.
Adding a foot on the side of a road for safe bicycle use would allow
people like myself to use a bicycle for much utility use where it is too
dangerous.

We should be making a Manhattan Project to make solar, wind, and
geothermal viable to sustain our energy. We keep making houses that
require extensive amounts of energy. Our refrigerators and hot water
heaters give off heat, which we than air condition. The entire system
needs to be designed to use the heat of one appliance for the next.

Our educational system is antiquated, with the latest emphasis being on
testing. The sad fact is children go to school and are bored because
the teaching is horrendous. So much busy work. Schools can be made
exciting and interesting. Music and art stimulate young brains, yet are
cut out of the budgets. For example, MRIs show that students trained in
music grow structures in their brains that assist in all abstract
thinking. Schools need not be boring.

But back to real food. How much real food to people eat? Most people
consume mostly coffee, sugar, highly processed wheat products, and meat
manufactured under horrendous conditions.

>The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not real
>food. It's all this highly processed food, made with increasingly
>genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

I've been eating this garbage. It has made me feel horrible and sick.
My body can't take this garbage anymore. So I've started learning about
nutrition and what to eat. I'm already starting to feel better. Now
that I've learned more about just how bad and especially unnutritious
the modern American diet is, I think the boxes of "food" in the
supermarket should have big, glowing skull and crossbones printed on
them.

>Fresh, local or best home grown food is the best alternative, but what
>has become America's largest crop? Grass. And the grass consumes a

Yeah. I'm in favor of just using ground covers.

>Why is corn in almost everything? There were farm subsidies at one time

Corn certainly does suck (except I like cornbread though). But I hate
the way America misuses corn.

>Health, except for a small market doesn't drive food, the most important medicine.

Maybe that will change as more Americans realize that typical American
food is doing bad things to them.

> A great book is Square Foot Gardening on how to use small spaces to grow
> large amounts of produce using non toxic methods.

Sounds good. I'll look into it.

I've been watching some things on TV about China rushing head over
heels into immitating the American way of life, with excessive
consumerism, eating unhealthy, etc. I see this happening and I see the
Chinese as a bunch of fools who are unaware of the lessons that some of
us in America are learning. The chinese are headed for a disaster as
far as their health and their environment. They're going to kill their
environment and themselves. What everyone on earth really needs is just
a moderate amount of material things and a healthy way of life that is
in keeping with a healthy environment. It's stupid to think that we all
can or should have vast, unlimited amounts of material wealth. However,
I don't think the chinese will ever be able to eat as much meat as
Americans because America is barely capable of growing enough meat to
feed itself. China with a billion people could never grow that much
meat per person. That's one thing that most chinese won't be able to
immitate.

Beach Runner

>>The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not real
>>food. It's all this highly processed food, made with increasingly
>>genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

> I've been eating this garbage. It has made me feel horrible and sick.
> My body can't take this garbage anymore. So I've started learning about
> nutrition and what to eat. I'm already starting to feel better. Now
> that I've learned more about just how bad and especially unnutritious
> the modern American diet is, I think the boxes of "food" in the
> supermarket should have big, glowing skull and crossbones printed on
> them.
>

>>Fresh, local or best home grown food is the best alternative, but what
>>has become America's largest crop? Grass. And the grass consumes a

> Yeah. I'm in favor of just using ground covers.

Why net let neighborhoods let native plants grow? It would be
beautiful, not require chemicals or water, and provide habitat? Or
small gardens for fresh food and less dependence on transportation and
food. It such a bizarre style. Grass is fairly new in American History.

>>Why is corn in almost everything? There were farm subsidies at one time

> Corn certainly does suck (except I like cornbread though). But I hate
> the way America misuses corn.

Corn can be a fine product, but government subsidiaries put processed
corn in everything, especially food lots for animals.

>>Health, except for a small market doesn't drive food, the most important medicine.

> Maybe that will change as more Americans realize that typical American
> food is doing bad things to them.

I wish. The projects are increased obesity. Like pills are an answer.

>>A great book is Square Foot Gardening on how to use small spaces to grow
>>large amounts of produce using non toxic methods.

> Sounds good. I'll look into it.
>
> I've been watching some things on TV about China rushing head over
> heels into immitating the American way of life, with excessive
> consumerism, eating unhealthy, etc. I see this happening and I see the
> Chinese as a bunch of fools who are unaware of the lessons that some of
> us in America are learning. The chinese are headed for a disaster as
> far as their health and their environment. They're going to kill their
> environment and themselves. What everyone on earth really needs is just
> a moderate amount of material things and a healthy way of life that is
> in keeping with a healthy environment. It's stupid to think that we all
> can or should have vast, unlimited amounts of material wealth. However,
> I don't think the chinese will ever be able to eat as much meat as
> Americans because America is barely capable of growing enough meat to
> feed itself. China with a billion people could never grow that much
> meat per person. That's one thing that most chinese won't be able to
> immitate.

Watch out for the Chinese. They will dominate the world. The sleeping
tiger is awake.

C. James Strutz

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
om...

> The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not real food.
> It's all this highly processed food, made with increasingly
> genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

Genetically modified organisms (GMO) have a bad rap among the
environmentally conscious. It's true that we don't know much about how it
could impact the environment but there is also a huge upside potential that
shouldn't be ignored. It's okay to be cautious but have an open mind.

> Fresh, local or best home grown food is the best alternative, but what has
> become America's largest crop? Grass. And the grass consumes a huge
> quantity of limited ground water and we pump tons of chemicals and toxic
> chemicals to make gold course like lawns. To get a picture, go to
> Wallmarts and see the pallets of grass growing toxins and think about the
> huge multinational effect.

I have a small grass lawn but I don't water it and I don't treat it in any
way. It doesn't look like a golf course but it usually looks okay. BTW,
there are native grasses and other alternatives to grass lawns.

> Why is corn in almost everything? There were farm subsidies at one time
> to keep the market price profitable for small farmers. Now huge
> corporations get those subsidies, and grow huge amounts of corn and put it
> into everything. See corn syrup and corn starch in most products. I know
> people allergic to corn and it creates a nightmare. Not to mention, what
> does it contribute to health.

Corn in and of itself isn't bad. I think you must be referring to High
Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which has found its way into many snack foods and
beverages. Most of the reports that I've read on it are very condemning.

> Health, except for a small market doesn't drive food, the most important
> medicine. Even most of the vegetarian prepared foods are full of salt and
> fat. Don't think buying Tuffitis, Amys, or Linda McCartney's products are
> healthy.

I've bought Amy's canned soups before and the ingredients look pretty
healthy to me - all natural ingredients and no trans-fats. I have never
bought the other two brands.

> Genetically engineered products will and do escape the confines of their
> plantings, and can become super weeds.

Super weeds reminds me of Reefer Madness! :^)

> We also see the production of seeds and food go into fewer and fewer
> hands.

Is this a statement against "factory farms" or are you talking about
automation in agriculture?

> Usual Suspects, does make a very valid point that the collateral damage
> of growing produce using modern methods is heavy.

Take what those guys say with a grain of salt (not literally!). They try to
minimize the fact that most of the corn produced in the U.S. directly
supports the cattle industry. Cattle are extremely inefficient converters of
food energy. It takes something like 80 calories from corn to produce just
one calorie from beef. One way to think about it is that much less corn
would have to be produced to feed the same number of people if it weren't
for the cattle industry. Not only would the lives of the cattle be spared
(or not created in the first place) but also a large number of the so-called
"collateral deaths" would be avoided.

Of course, the trolls here will challenge this notion as a "numbers game" as
an attempt to obscure the truth. That followed by accusations of hypocracy
that ANY lives are lost as a result of a vegan's existence. Get real. You
don't have to count deaths to know that the basic tenets are absolutely
true. They will also claim that grass-fed beef obviates all of the corn-fed
pitfalls. It's true but just not the way things are in the cattle industry.
Corn-fed beef accounts for a vast majority of the market. Face it, the
cattle industy is a cornerstone of vast environmental damage and a primary
source of health concerns among carnivorous consumers. It's so pervasive in
our culture that it can't and won't change anytime soon.

> We all know the meat manufacturing industry consumes vast quantities of
> water, produces tremendous pollution, and produces very unhealthy foods.

The care and preservation of the world's fresh water supply is an especially
concerning issue. I think the jockeying that we see today to control oil
supplies will pale in comparison to what we will see with fresh water.

> We need real change. Being a vegan does make a point and does reduce our
> impact on the world and is a start. But only a start in the big picture.

Being vegan doesn't solve all of the environmental issues.

> Overpopulation is a root cause of world problems

Yes.

> We should be making a Manhattan Project to make solar, wind, and
> geothermal viable to sustain our energy.

You should get the current issue of Popular Mechanics. There is an
interesting article about alternative forms of renewable energy. One is
using the motion of waves in the oceans to power generators. Another is
using bacteria in waste treatment plants to produce electricity. Another is
organic (not silicon based) materials that convert sunlight to electricity
which can be embedded in clothing, etc. to power personal appliances.

> We keep making houses that require extensive amounts of energy. Our
> refrigerators and hot water heaters give off heat, which we than air
> condition. The entire system needs to be designed to use the heat of one
> appliance for the next.
>
> Our educational system is antiquated, with the latest emphasis being on
> testing. The sad fact is children go to school and are bored because the
> teaching is horrendous. So much busy work. Schools can be made exciting
> and interesting. Music and art stimulate young brains, yet are cut out of
> the budgets. For example, MRIs show that students trained in music grow
> structures in their brains that assist in all abstract thinking. Schools
> need not be boring.

You have a lot of negative energy. The world is not all doom and gloom.

Beach Runner

C. James Strutz wrote:
> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>>The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not real food.
>>It's all this highly processed food, made with increasingly
>>genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

> Genetically modified organisms (GMO) have a bad rap among the
> environmentally conscious. It's true that we don't know much about how it
> could impact the environment but there is also a huge upside potential that
> shouldn't be ignored. It's okay to be cautious but have an open mind.

Yes they can add things, but they are risky. Roundup ready products.
Products with their own toxin. /And they are not as nutritious and
don't encourage crop rotation.

>>Fresh, local or best home grown food is the best alternative, but what has
>>become America's largest crop? Grass. And the grass consumes a huge
>>quantity of limited ground water and we pump tons of chemicals and toxic
>>chemicals to make gold course like lawns. To get a picture, go to
>>Wallmarts and see the pallets of grass growing toxins and think about the
>>huge multinational effect.

> I have a small grass lawn but I don't water it and I don't treat it in any
> way. It doesn't look like a golf course but it usually looks okay. BTW,
> there are native grasses and other alternatives to grass lawns.

Yes, but it predominates our spawling suburbia.
>>Why is corn in almost everything? There were farm subsidies at one time
>>to keep the market price profitable for small farmers. Now huge
>>corporations get those subsidies, and grow huge amounts of corn and put it
>>into everything. See corn syrup and corn starch in most products. I know
>>people allergic to corn and it creates a nightmare. Not to mention, what
>>does it contribute to health.

> Corn in and of itself isn't bad. I think you must be referring to High
> Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which has found its way into many snack foods and
> beverages. Most of the reports that I've read on it are very condemning.

And people are alergic to corn starch. Why should it be subsidized?

>>Health, except for a small market doesn't drive food, the most important
>>medicine. Even most of the vegetarian prepared foods are full of salt and
>>fat. Don't think buying Tuffitis, Amys, or Linda McCartney's products are
>>healthy.

> I've bought Amy's canned soups before and the ingredients look pretty
> healthy to me - all natural ingredients and no trans-fats. I have never
> bought the other two brands.

They are high in fats and sodium.

>>Genetically engineered products will and do escape the confines of their
>>plantings, and can become super weeds.

> Super weeds reminds me of Reefer Madness! :^)
>

>>We also see the production of seeds and food go into fewer and fewer
>>hands.

> Is this a statement against "factory farms" or are you talking about
> automation in agriculture?

Both.

>>Usual Suspects, does make a very valid point that the collateral damage
>>of growing produce using modern methods is heavy.

> Take what those guys say with a grain of salt (not literally!). They try to
> minimize the fact that most of the corn produced in the U.S. directly
> supports the cattle industry. Cattle are extremely inefficient converters of
> food energy. It takes something like 80 calories from corn to produce just
> one calorie from beef. One way to think about it is that much less corn
> would have to be produced to feed the same number of people if it weren't
> for the cattle industry. Not only would the lives of the cattle be spared
> (or not created in the first place) but also a large number of the so-called
> "collateral deaths" would be avoided.

True.

> Of course, the trolls here will challenge this notion as a "numbers game" as
> an attempt to obscure the truth. That followed by accusations of hypocracy
> that ANY lives are lost as a result of a vegan's existence. Get real. You
> don't have to count deaths to know that the basic tenets are absolutely
> true. They will also claim that grass-fed beef obviates all of the corn-fed
> pitfalls. It's true but just not the way things are in the cattle industry.
> Corn-fed beef accounts for a vast majority of the market. Face it, the
> cattle industy is a cornerstone of vast environmental damage and a primary
> source of health concerns among carnivorous consumers. It's so pervasive in
> our culture that it can't and won't change anytime soon.
>

>>We all know the meat manufacturing industry consumes vast quantities of
>>water, produces tremendous pollution, and produces very unhealthy foods.

> The care and preservation of the world's fresh water supply is an especially
> concerning issue. I think the jockeying that we see today to control oil
> supplies will pale in comparison to what we will see with fresh water.
>

>>We need real change. Being a vegan does make a point and does reduce our
>>impact on the world and is a start. But only a start in the big picture.

> Being vegan doesn't solve all of the environmental issues.
>

>>Overpopulation is a root cause of world problems

> Yes.
>

>>We should be making a Manhattan Project to make solar, wind, and
>>geothermal viable to sustain our energy.

> You should get the current issue of Popular Mechanics. There is an
> interesting article about alternative forms of renewable energy. One is
> using the motion of waves in the oceans to power generators.

Grumman proposed that in the 60s.
Another is
> using bacteria in waste treatment plants to produce electricity. Another is
> organic (not silicon based) materials that convert sunlight to electricity
> which can be embedded in clothing, etc. to power personal appliances.

Not when the oil industry rules the government.

>>We keep making houses that require extensive amounts of energy. Our
>>refrigerators and hot water heaters give off heat, which we than air
>>condition. The entire system needs to be designed to use the heat of one
>>appliance for the next.
>>
>>Our educational system is antiquated, with the latest emphasis being on
>>testing. The sad fact is children go to school and are bored because the
>>teaching is horrendous. So much busy work. Schools can be made exciting
>>and interesting. Music and art stimulate young brains, yet are cut out of
>>the budgets. For example, MRIs show that students trained in music grow
>>structures in their brains that assist in all abstract thinking. Schools
>>need not be boring.

> You have a lot of negative energy. The world is not all doom and gloom.

I love nature. But I'm realistic. We can make things better.

rick

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
om...
> The amazing thing is you see how American's eat, and it's not
> real food. It's all this highly processed food, made with
> increasingly
> genetically engineered products, filled with Chemicals.

Yes, and just imagine, it's all vegan, eh killer? Well, as long
as you don't count all the deaths that it takes to make it, and
as long as all you're counting is bodies on a plate. Nice spew
though for the encouragement to eat more meat rather than the
vegan trash that fills the markets, eh?

Real food. Dimitri General Cooking 73 04-03-2020 10:10 PM
100 Days of Real Food Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 15 03-07-2011 05:42 PM
Almost OT, a real food topic George Shirley General Cooking 4 18-10-2009 09:37 PM
Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 12:27 PM