Taemon

Default Mailinglist

Hi,

I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get back
on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I attended
at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that there are a
lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in (Vegan_Chat)
looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone here know about
those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into netiquette? Thanks
in advance!

T.

Beach Runner

Taemon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
> then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get back
> on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I attended
> at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that there are a
> lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in (Vegan_Chat)
> looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone here know about
> those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into netiquette? Thanks
> in advance!
>
> T.

Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
scientific data.

Taemon

Beach Runner wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
>> then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get
>> back on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I
>> attended at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that
>> there are a lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in
>> (Vegan_Chat) looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone
>> here know about those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into
>> netiquette? Thanks in advance!

> Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
> scientific data.

But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
ideas. I want to talk food!

T.

Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:
>>
>>>I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
>>>then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get
>>>back on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I
>>>attended at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that
>>>there are a lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in
>>>(Vegan_Chat) looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone
>>>here know about those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into
>>>netiquette? Thanks in advance!

>>Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
>>scientific data.

> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
> ideas. I want to talk food!
>
> T.

Then talk food!

I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP and
breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the breadcrumbs.

-nancy-
C. James Strutz

"Momzilla" > wrote in message
> Taemon wrote:
>> Beach Runner wrote:

>>>Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
>>>scientific data.

>> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and ideas.
>> I want to talk food!
>>
>> T.

> Then talk food!
>

> I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP and
> breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the breadcrumbs.

I had the best dinner last night: steamed radish greens and spinach, maitake
mushrooms sauteed with onions and peppers, and home made apple sauce with a
hint of cinnamon. Tonight it's leftover rice and pinto beans.

Momzilla

C. James Strutz wrote:
> "Momzilla" > wrote in message
>
>>Taemon wrote:

>>>But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and ideas.
>>>I want to talk food!
>>>
>>>T.

>>Then talk food!
>>

>>I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP and
>>breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the breadcrumbs.

> I had the best dinner last night: steamed radish greens and spinach, maitake
> mushrooms sauteed with onions and peppers, and home made apple sauce with a
> hint of cinnamon. Tonight it's leftover rice and pinto beans.

Oooo, radish greens sound good. Never tried it.
I need to build a cold frame so I can garden year round and radishes
will do very well.
-nancy-
Steve

Taemon wrote:
> I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
> then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get back
> on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I attended
> at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that there are a
> lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in (Vegan_Chat)
> looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone here know about
> those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into netiquette? Thanks
> in advance!

Top posting is a fact of life. Better to accept it.

It has been my experience with the internet that it is not the best
place for support. Sooner or later troubled people will make you a
target of abuse.

Get involved with people in real life for inspiration. Try
meetup.com. Search on "vegan", "vegetarian", or "animal rights" in your
local area. Volunteer

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
Steve

Taemon wrote:
> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
> ideas. I want to talk food!

rec.food.veg.cooking

It is all about food, and nothing else. Moderated too.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
yogini

I used to belong to vegan_chat. I had to quit because I couldn't stand
the postings of a certain member who will remain unnamed. She's a
sanctimonious b*tch who's not even vegetarian, much less vegan. I have
yet to find another mailing list that is active and anything besides
"sign this petition."

There's a bulletin board at http://www.veganforum.com/forums/index.php
that's pretty good.

-Anna

Taemon

Momzilla wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> Beach Runner wrote:
>>> Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
>>> scientific data.

>> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
>> ideas. I want to talk food!

> Then talk food!

Do you think this newsgroup can be saved? It was a good place before,
so I take it it can become a good place again... no trouble at all to
killfile the trolls. Still.

> I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP
> and
> breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the
> breadcrumbs.

What is TVP?

I'm always wondering what to put on my bread. I don't have a sweet
tooth. I tried humus and stuff, but got bored very quickly. Ideas?

T.

Taemon

Steve wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
>> then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get
>> back on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I
>> attended at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that
>> there are a lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in
>> (Vegan_Chat) looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone
>> here know about those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into
>> netiquette? Thanks in advance!

> Top posting is a fact of life. Better to accept it.

Never :-)

> It has been my experience with the internet that it is not the best
> place for support. Sooner or later troubled people will make you a
> target of abuse.

I don't care about that. I'm at home on Usenet.

> Get involved with people in real life for inspiration. Try
> meetup.com. Search on "vegan", "vegetarian", or "animal rights" in
> your local area. Volunteer

I'm Dutch, but... it's an idea. Yes. Thanks.

T.

Taemon

Steve wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
>> ideas. I want to talk food!

> rec.food.veg.cooking
> It is all about food, and nothing else. Moderated too.

Oooo! Top-posting?

T.

Taemon

yogini wrote:

> I used to belong to vegan_chat. I had to quit because I couldn't
> stand the postings of a certain member who will remain unnamed.

That's where killfiles are for.

> I have yet to find another mailing list that is active and
> anything besides "sign this petition."

Really? :-( There were a lot listed in Yahoo, but most were small.

> There's a bulletin board at
> http://www.veganforum.com/forums/index.php
> that's pretty good.

Not for me :-( I hate forums.

Thanks.

T.

rick

"Taemon" > wrote in message
> Momzilla wrote:
>
>> Taemon wrote:
>>> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and
>>> recipes and
>>> ideas. I want to talk food!

>> Then talk food!

> Do you think this newsgroup can be saved? It was a good place
> before, so I take it it can become a good place again... no
> trouble at all to killfile the trolls. Still.
>
>> I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on
>> TVP and
>> breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the
>> breadcrumbs.

> What is TVP?

==============
LOL Textured vegetable protein... In other words, faked meat.
What you do is kill a few 100s animals in crop production, add a
few more for power generation and processing by taking tons of
crops to produce a few pounds of fake meat. Hypocrisy in action.
Afterall, one cow(one death) could have provided 100s of such
meals instead of killing countless animals unnecessarilly to
produce a fake meat. But then, that's what usenet vegans are all
about, hypocrisy.

> I'm always wondering what to put on my bread. I don't have a
> sweet tooth. I tried humus and stuff, but got bored very
> quickly. Ideas?
>
> T.

Steve

Taemon wrote:
> yogini wrote:
>

>>I used to belong to vegan_chat. I had to quit because I couldn't
>>stand the postings of a certain member who will remain unnamed.

> That's where killfiles are for.

I have found that the filtering options for usenet and email to be far
more powerful than what is available for web based forums.

I'm surprised that the people who make web board software have not
implemented stronger filtering. Few people are ever happy with the way
moderation works, especially the site owners. If everyone could control
their own content they could just take care of things themselves to
their liking.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

Beach Runner

Taemon wrote:

> Beach Runner wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:
>>
>>>I've been a vegetarian for 15+ years and a vegan for half a year -
>>>then I tumbled back to omnivorism. I want some inspiration to get
>>>back on the right path. So I subscribed to this newsgroup, which I
>>>attended at the time, but it isn't what it used to be. I see that
>>>there are a lot of vegan groups on Yahoo, but the one I peeked in
>>>(Vegan_Chat) looked terrible, all top-posting and HTML. Does anyone
>>>here know about those mailinglists? Which are good? Which are into
>>>netiquette? Thanks in advance!

>>Try vegan friends, and vegan weightlifting, which posts a lot of
>>scientific data.

> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
> ideas. I want to talk food!
>
> T.

I posted two suggestions, on general, one filled with data for balance.
If you want recopies go for other recommendations. Watch out for
unmoderated attacks, and watch out for moderators where power corrupts.

As Steve said, see the real world. There's lots of vegetarian cookbooks
and newsgroups. And others who advocate raw food. I'd like a balance of
science, ideas, and suggestions. I have no interest in personal attacks.
In other areas they entered into my personal life. I've also seen much
cruelty on others.

One reason I posted vegan weight lifting is it's free of voodoo and
emphasizes that health is not just about food.

Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Momzilla wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:

>>>But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
>>>ideas. I want to talk food!

>>Then talk food!

> Do you think this newsgroup can be saved? It was a good place before,
> so I take it it can become a good place again... no trouble at all to
> killfile the trolls. Still.
>

>>I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP
>>and
>>breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the
>>breadcrumbs.

> What is TVP?
>
> I'm always wondering what to put on my bread. I don't have a sweet
> tooth. I tried humus and stuff, but got bored very quickly. Ideas?
>
> T.

TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

Yes, I think this group can be saved. We just have to keep posting food
ideas and discussions. I'll try to put in more time. I've been very lax
for sometime.

-nancy
Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Momzilla wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:

>>>But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
>>>ideas. I want to talk food!

>>Then talk food!

> Do you think this newsgroup can be saved? It was a good place before,
> so I take it it can become a good place again... no trouble at all to
> killfile the trolls. Still.
>

>>I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP
>>and
>>breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the
>>breadcrumbs.

> What is TVP?
>
> I'm always wondering what to put on my bread. I don't have a sweet
> tooth. I tried humus and stuff, but got bored very quickly. Ideas?
>
> T.

TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

Yes, I think this group can be saved. We just have to keep posting food
ideas and discussions. I'll try to put in more time. I've been very lax
for sometime.

-nancy
Taemon

Beach Runner wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> But I don't want scientific data :-) I want tips, and recipes and
>> ideas. I want to talk food!

> I posted two suggestions, on general, one filled with data for
> balance. If you want recopies go for other recommendations.

I've read it, and I thank you all. I decided to stay here for a while.

I'm not ready to become vegan again, and maybe never will. But I
definitely want to eat more vegan than I do now. So I want ideas,
inspiration, and just basic chatting. Is why I decided against a
mailinglist; newsgroups are more - casual. That's not quite the word -
I mean I can easily ignore threads, browse as wanted. Sorry, not a
native speaker!

I've killfiled two people, bringing down the number of messages with a
half already :-)

Okay. Yesterday I found carrot in my vegetable subscription. I'm not
very fond of carrot; I find them too sweet. Any ideas?

T.

Taemon

Momzilla wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> Do you think this newsgroup can be saved? It was a good place
>> before,
>> so I take it it can become a good place again... no trouble at all
>> killfile the trolls. Still.
>>> I made a meatless meat loaf last night. It was okay, based on TVP
>>> and breadcrumbs. Next time I'll use oatmeal in place of the
>>> breadcrumbs.

>> What is TVP?
>> I'm always wondering what to put on my bread. I don't have a sweet
>> tooth. I tried humus and stuff, but got bored very quickly. Ideas?

> TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

Sort of vegetable minced meat?

> Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

I've never tried miso! I've seen, it though. But I thought it was
supposed to be boiled, you know, for broth. How does it work?

> Yes, I think this group can be saved. We just have to keep posting
> food ideas and discussions. I'll try to put in more time. I've been
> very lax for sometime.

Don't hurry on my account. But let's try not to feed the trolls, pun
not intended.

T.

Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Momzilla wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:

>>TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

> Sort of vegetable minced meat?

yes, kinda. It is dry and needs to be reconstituted in a broth.

>>Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

> I've never tried miso! I've seen, it though. But I thought it was
> supposed to be boiled, you know, for broth. How does it work?

http://www.southrivermiso.com/index_river.html
This is my favorite brand of Miso. The site has recipes.

You can mix Tahini and miso together for a "cheesy" spread.

>>Yes, I think this group can be saved. We just have to keep posting
>>food ideas and discussions. I'll try to put in more time. I've been
>>very lax for sometime.

> Don't hurry on my account. But let's try not to feed the trolls, pun
> not intended.
>
> T.

The trolls will eat whatever they like. I just don't take their bait in
return.

-nancy-

Momzilla

Taemon wrote:
> Momzilla wrote:
>

>>Taemon wrote:

>>TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

> Sort of vegetable minced meat?

yes, kinda. It is dry and needs to be reconstituted in a broth.

>>Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

> I've never tried miso! I've seen, it though. But I thought it was
> supposed to be boiled, you know, for broth. How does it work?

http://www.southrivermiso.com/index_river.html
This is my favorite brand of Miso. The site has recipes.

You can mix Tahini and miso together for a "cheesy" spread.

>>Yes, I think this group can be saved. We just have to keep posting
>>food ideas and discussions. I'll try to put in more time. I've been
>>very lax for sometime.

> Don't hurry on my account. But let's try not to feed the trolls, pun
> not intended.
>
> T.

The trolls will eat whatever they like. I just don't take their bait in
return.

-nancy-

Taemon

Momzilla wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> Momzilla wrote:
>>> TVP: Texturized Vegetable Protien.

>> Sort of vegetable minced meat?

> yes, kinda. It is dry and needs to be reconstituted in a broth.

Okay. We have good stuff here, in the Netherlands. I sometimes use
meat in cooking (especially bacon) but I never feel the need to use
minced meat. We have good alternatives.

>>> Have you ever tried a mix of Tahini and Miso as a spread?

>> I've never tried miso! I've seen, it though. But I thought it was
>> supposed to be boiled, you know, for broth. How does it work?

> http://www.southrivermiso.com/index_river.html
> This is my favorite brand of Miso. The site has recipes.

Thanks!

>> Don't hurry on my account. But let's try not to feed the trolls,
>> pun
>> not intended.

> The trolls will eat whatever they like. I just don't take their bait
> in return.

I have no problem with it, either. If only everyone had that wisdom...

T.