dh@.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:19:54 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote
>> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:08:07 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>

>>><dh@.> wrote

>>>You know I'm not an ARA

>> How could I even suspect that you might not be?
>> All evidence I've got is that you are.

>You know I'm not an ARA ****wit, you know Jonathan Ball is not an ARA, you
>know that our objections to your position have nothing to do with AR

If you didn't lie then I might believe you. But you both lie, as your
fellow "arFs" lie. To you lying is such a part of your life, that you
believe that aspect is meaningless to everyone else. But it's very
meaningful to me. I believe you and Goo are "ARAs". ONLY you
and Goo and the more honest (lol) "arFs" have lied about what
I believe. None of the very very few "AR" opponents who have
disagreed with me have lied, from what I can remember. Only you,
Goo, and other "arFs" have lied. So your arguments plus your
actions cause me to believe you are "ARAs". In contrast, there is
nothing that I've found on my own, or that you have presented,
that gives me any reason to believe you're not an "ARA". And of
course the same is true for Goo. I haven't seen him oppose "AR",
but here are quite a few examples of him supporting it:
We're ONLY talking about deliberate human killing
ONLY deliberate human killing deserves any moral
consideration.
You consider that it "got to experience life" to be
some kind of mitigation of the evil of killing it
people who consume animals justify the harm they inflict
on the animals by believing that "giving" life to the
animals somehow mitigates the harm.
Fact: IF it is wrong to kill animals deliberately for
food, then having deliberately caused them to live in
the first place does not mitigate the wrong in any way
"giving them life" does NOT mitigate the wrongness of
their deaths
It is morally wrong, in an absolute sense - unjust, in
other words - if humans kill animals they don't need
to kill, i.e. not in self defense. There's your answer
humans deliberately killing animals for food is an immoral
thing to do.
Humans could change it. They could change it by ending it.
People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans".
And if everyone adopted "veg*nism", no farm animals would
live in bad conditions.
You invent some arbitrary line and head off in some other
bizarre direction...all by yourself.
[That "other bizarre direction" is the idea of deliberately
providing decent AW for the animals we raise to eat]
there is no moral loss if domesticated species go extinct.
Since there is no moral loss to any animals, there is
nothing for any human to take into consideration
There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals
not to exist as a step towards creating a more just world.

dh@.

On 23 Sep 2005 06:14:45 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:

>> >None of the animals currently being commercially farmed were
>> >created by humans. The lives of these farm animals
>> >have an opportunity cost; the animals that would experience
>> >life if the land was not being used by humans (eg to graze livestock).

>> I have never seen grazing areas that were not home to wildlife.

>The point is that if the the land wasn't being used to support
>cattle, or for some other human activity then it could be used to
>support other forms of life.

The grazing areas I've seen turned into something else have
always supported fewer animals, not more. They have become
housing areas, and businesses.

>If you wish to take moral credit
>for the cow's existence then you also have to accept moral
>debit for these lives that are prevented from existing.

Then do vegans have to take moral debit for the lives that
are prevented too?

>BTW have you ever been to a woodland area and compared the amount
>of wildlife living there with a grassland area? When you have, come
>back and tell me that people who clear a forest so cattle can graze
>there deserve moral credit for enabling more cattle to exist!

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following in order to be successful:

Tires, Surgical sutures, Matches, Soaps, Photographic film,
Cosmetics, Shaving cream, Paints, Candles, Crayon/Chalk,
Toothpaste, Deodorants, Mouthwash, Paper, Upholstery,
Floor waxes, Glass, Water Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer,
Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides, Insulation, Linoleum,
Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen, Heparin, Insulin,
Pancreatin, Thrombin, Vasopressin, Vitamin B-12, Asphalt,
auto and jet lubricants, outboard engine oil, brake fluid,
contact-lens care products, glues, sunscreens and sunblocks,
dental floss, hairspray, inks, Solvents, Biodegradable
Detergents, Herbicides, Gelatin Capsules, Bandage Strips,
Combs and Toothbrushes, Emery Boards and Cloth, Adhesive Tape,
Laminated Wood Products, Plywood and Paneling, Wallpaper and
Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane Wrap and Tape, Adhesive Tape,
Abrasivesl, Steel Ball Bearings

future.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

>> >Your failure to take these facts into consideration
>> >is the real distortion of reality.

>> I most certainly take them into consideration.

>So why do you wish to give farmers moral credit for the existence
>of animals that are perfectly capable of reproducing without
>human help?

· The meat industry includes habitats in which a small
variety of animals are raised. The animals in those
habitats, as those in any other, are completely dependant
on them to not only sustain their lives, but they also
depend on them to provide the pairing of sperm and egg
that begin their particular existence. Those animals will
only live if people continue to raise them for food.

Animals that are born to other groups--such as wild
animals, pets, performing animals, etc.--are completely
different groups of animals. Regardless of how many or few
animals are born to these other groups, the billions of animals
which are raised for food will always be dependant on consumers
for their existence. ·

>> I've pointed out
>> more than once that in all the experiences I've had with it, and
>> have heard of, wildlife are more welcome in grazing areas than in
>> crop filds.

>That is probably true. I wouldn't know but in any case you are
>considering the wrong eqaution.

I consider more than one.

>If some of the land used to graze
>cattle was used to grow an equivalent amount of calories in
>crop fields and the rest was left to nature, that would probably
>result in more wildlife in total.

That's not how it goes. When the land isn't grazed it is used to
grow crops resulting in less wildlife, or paved over and built on
resulting in even less. Since that's how it goes, that's how I think
about it.

>YMMD.
>
>> I have also more than once asked: why should we only
>> contribute to life and death for wildlife in crop fields, and not also
>> life and death for wildlife and livestock in grazing areas?

>I agree that the two are not qualitatively different in any
>ethically significant way but this is not relevant to your
>premise that the life of a farm animal should be treated as a
>loan to its farmer.

I think of decent lives as decent lives, including the lives of
humans, domestic animals and wildlife. For some reason other
people don't do it that way, but that's how I do it, and so far no
one has suggested a better way yet.
dh@.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:48:34 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

>"Derek" > wrote

>> Harrison and myself are right when we say you're an
>> [A]nimal [R]ights [A]dvocate, liar Ditch;

>No, I'm not, not in the way he means it, i.e. I do NOT advocate the
>elimination of animal farming.

You are an "ARA" in "the way" that you would rather see
people become vegans, than see them deliberately contribute
to decent lives for livestock. That makes you not only an "ARA",
but an opponent of AW.
Dave

dh@. wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2005 06:14:45 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >dh@. wrote:

our

-animal

randmother

would find

ould be

sm does

If you

ething up.

als who

ough that

claim to,

ice.

e food

can

omething

> >> I have never seen grazing areas that were not home to wildlife.

> >The point is that if the the land wasn't being used to support
> >cattle, or for some other human activity then it could be used to
> >support other forms of life.

> The grazing areas I've seen turned into something else have
> always supported fewer animals, not more. They have become
> housing areas, and businesses.

I fundamentally dislike the attitude that land is simply an economic
resource to be appropriated by humans. To me it is the lifeblood of
the planet, which we should be thrifty with.

> >If you wish to take moral credit
> >for the cow's existence then you also have to accept moral
> >debit for these lives that are prevented from existing.

> Then do vegans have to take moral debit for the lives that
> are prevented too?

If they take moral credit for the lives created as part of their
lifestyle as you are doing.

> >BTW have you ever been to a woodland area and compared the amount
> >of wildlife living there with a grassland area? When you have, come
> >back and tell me that people who clear a forest so cattle can graze
> >there deserve moral credit for enabling more cattle to exist!

> =B7 Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
> wood and paper products, electricity, roads and all types of
> buildings, their own diet, etc... just as everyone else does.
> What they try to avoid are products which provide life
> (and death) for farm animals,

True but what does this have to do with the issue at hand?

> but even then they would have
> to avoid the following in order to be successful:
>
> Tires, Surgical sutures, Matches, Soaps, Photographic film,
> Cosmetics, Shaving cream, Paints, Candles, Crayon/Chalk,
> Toothpaste, Deodorants, Mouthwash, Paper, Upholstery,
> Floor waxes, Glass, Water Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer,
> Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides, Insulation, Linoleum,
> Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen, Heparin, Insulin,
> Pancreatin, Thrombin, Vasopressin, Vitamin B-12, Asphalt,
> auto and jet lubricants, outboard engine oil, brake fluid,
> contact-lens care products, glues, sunscreens and sunblocks,
> dental floss, hairspray, inks, Solvents, Biodegradable
> Detergents, Herbicides, Gelatin Capsules, Bandage Strips,
> Combs and Toothbrushes, Emery Boards and Cloth, Adhesive Tape,
> Laminated Wood Products, Plywood and Paneling, Wallpaper and
> Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane Wrap and Tape, Adhesive Tape,
> Abrasivesl, Steel Ball Bearings

It is possible to get vegan soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste, deoderants,
biodegradable detergents, vitamin B12, sunscreens and probably most
of the other items on that list. At best it is out of date. At worst,
it is totally fraudulent. What animal products are used in the
manufacture
of paper, plastic, ceramics and glass?

> The meat industry provides life for the animals that it
> slaughters,

A calf is created as a result of a bull and a cow mating.
No human intervention is necessary for this process to occur.

> and the animals live and die as a result of it
> as animals do in other habitats. They also depend on it for
> their lives as animals do in other habitats. If people consume
> animal products from animals they think are raised in decent
> ways, they will be promoting life for more such animals in the
> future.
> From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
> steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
> get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
> over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
> get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
> derived from grass raised animals. Grass raised animal products
> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. =B7

This may be true but a link Larry recently provided calls this into
question. http://courses.ats.rochester.edu/nob.../leastharm.htm

"Davis estimates that only 7.5 animals of the field per hectare die in
ruminant-pasture. If we were to convert half of the 120 million
hectares of U.S. cropland to ruminant-pasture and half to growing
vegetables, Davis claims we could feed the U.S. population on a diet of
ruminant meat and crops and kill only 1.35 billion animals annually in
the process. Thus, Davis concludes his omnivorous proposal would save
the lives of 450 million animals each year (p. 6-7).

Davis mistakenly assumes the two systems-crops only and crops with
ruminant-pasture-using the same total amount of land, would feed
identical numbers of people (i.e., the U.S. population). In fact, crop
and ruminant systems produce different amounts of food per hectare --
the two systems would feed different numbers of people. To properly
compare the harm caused by the two systems, we ought to calculate how
many animals are killed in feeding equal populations-or the number of
animals killed per consumer.

Davis suggests the number of wild animals killed per hectare in crop
production (15) is twice that killed in ruminant-pasture (7.5). If this
is true, then as long as crop production uses less than half as many
hectares as ruminant-pasture to deliver the same amount of food, a
vegetarian will kill fewer animals than an omnivore. In fact, crop
production uses less than half as many hectares as grass-fed dairy and
one-tenth as many hectares as grass-fed beef to deliver the same amount
of protein. In one year, 1,000 kilograms of protein can be produced on
as few as 1.0 hectares planted with soy and corn, 2.6 hectares used as
pasture for grass-fed dairy cows, or 10 hectares used as pasture for
grass-fed beef cattle (Vandehaar 1998; UNFAO 1996). As such, to obtain
the 20 kilograms of protein per year recommended for adults, a
vegan-vegetarian would kill 0.3 wild animals annually, a
lacto-vegetarian would kill 0.39 wild animals, while a Davis-style
omnivore would kill 1.5 wild animals. Thus, correcting Davis's math,
we see that a vegan-vegetarian population would kill the fewest number
of wild animals, followed closely by a lacto-vegetarian population."

I would be interested to read your response.

> >> I most certainly take them into consideration.

> >So why do you wish to give farmers moral credit for the existence
> >of animals that are perfectly capable of reproducing without
> >human help?

> =B7 The meat industry includes habitats in which a small
> variety of animals are raised. The animals in those
> habitats, as those in any other, are completely dependant
> on them to not only sustain their lives, but they also
> depend on them to provide the pairing of sperm and egg
> that begin their particular existence.

The pairing of sperm and egg occurs as a result of sexual
activities that do not require human intervention.

> Those animals will
> only live if people continue to raise them for food.
>
> Animals that are born to other groups--such as wild
> animals, pets, performing animals, etc.--are completely
> different groups of animals. Regardless of how many or few
> animals are born to these other groups, the billions of animals
> which are raised for food will always be dependant on consumers
> for their existence. =B7

The numbers of animals born to these other groups and the numbers
of animals raised for food purposes are not seperate, independent
variables

> >> I've pointed out
> >> more than once that in all the experiences I've had with it, and
> >> have heard of, wildlife are more welcome in grazing areas than in
> >> crop filds.

> >That is probably true. I wouldn't know but in any case you are
> >considering the wrong eqaution.

> I consider more than one.

OK.

> >If some of the land used to graze
> >cattle was used to grow an equivalent amount of calories in
> >crop fields and the rest was left to nature, that would probably
> >result in more wildlife in total.

> That's not how it goes. When the land isn't grazed it is used to
> grow crops resulting in less wildlife, or paved over and built on
> resulting in even less. Since that's how it goes, that's how I think
> about it.

The way I think about it is rather like voting. On the individual level
it makes little difference but on the collective level it matters a
great
deal. The attitude I have is that we should be thrifty with our land
use
and allow nature her fair share.

> >YMMD.
> >
> >> I have also more than once asked: why should we only
> >> contribute to life and death for wildlife in crop fields, and not also
> >> life and death for wildlife and livestock in grazing areas?

> >I agree that the two are not qualitatively different in any
> >ethically significant way but this is not relevant to your
> >premise that the life of a farm animal should be treated as a
> >loan to its farmer.

> I think of decent lives as decent lives, including the lives of
> humans, domestic animals and wildlife. For some reason other
> people don't do it that way, but that's how I do it, and so far no
> one has suggested a better way yet.

It is a very good way of doing things. What I take issue with is the
idea that the cows owe their lives to the farmer.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> stop wasting our time.

Stop whining about other people's time being wasted, it's none of your
business how people use their time.

Dave

Sorry if the format of this post comes out a little strange. My server
crashed just
before I had finished composing it and I had to copy-paste the whole
thing
into word and then back again.

Derek wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2005 07:03:21 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> That's settled then.

> >"Yes, according to the definition I gave"

> No, according to the definition I gave and which
> you clearly don't understand.

Note the unannotated snippage.

> >> No, you cannot source meat from farmed animals
> >> without first slaughtering those farmed animals.

> >Of course you can. Simply wait for the farm animal
> >to die from natural causes.

> Meat from animals that have died from natural causes
> isn't supplied by livestock farmers.

This still doesn't imply that the property (animal being slaughtered)
is always absolutely necessary for the product we were discussing
(meat from farmed animals) .

> >> It is if you source your meat from farmed animals
> >> because they are always slaughtered intentionally.

> >Irrelevant.

> No, it is not irrelevant. You cannot source farmed
> meat from farmed animals that have died from natural
> causes; they are slaughtered intentionally for their meat.

OK. I see you wish to be more specific about the product
we were discussing. The slaughter of animals is a per-accidens
property of meat that comes from livestock. It is a per-se
property of meat that a consumer can buy over the counter.
However this redefining exposes a massive hole in your ethics.
Suppose that butchers and supermarkets did start buying meat
from animals that died naturally. In that case the slaughter
of animals would become a per-accidens property of meat that
can be bought over the counter and hence, according to your
ethics become, in essence, perfectly ethcial even if the
particular piece of meat you purchased came from an animal
that had been slaughtered. It doesn't make sense!

> >> Meat sourced from animals that have died from
> >> natural causes or from road kill isn't supplied by
> >> livestock farming.

> >Livestock animals can die of natural causes or become
> >road kill.

> Yes, but those animals are not sold onto consumers.
> All farmed meat is sourced from slaughtered farm
> animals.

I have nothing to add to my reply to your previous point.

> >> I'm glad to see that you finally agree, though tacitly.

> >You weren't putting forward an argument.

> Being that I used the term "because", my statement
> was indeed an argument, and while you fail to
> respond to that argument I can only take that as
> tacit agreement with it.

I stand by everything I have said to you in this thread. I already
understand the
distinction between per-se and per-accidens. My contribution to the
thread, demonstrates this.

> >> If you understood the terms you would not be
> >> making the same mistake.

> >This is not an argument and therefore doesn't require
> >a response.

> Are you going to try this little dodge with every statement
> I make, time-waster?

Only when you present opinions that do nothing to further the
discussion like "You don't understand the terms". I shall
continue my policy of responding only to arguments and constructive
statements.

> >> One lack of a response might be seen as forgetful,
> >> but two in a row, especially after being told that
> >> you had failed to respond the first time is a tacit
> >> admission.

> >I have already responded to this exact point.

> You failed to respond twice in a row, even after being
> reminded that you had failed to respond, so for you to
> now say that you did respond is an obvious lie.

I did respond. Here's the proof:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt...7487edd?hl=en&

rick

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snippage...

It is possible to get vegan soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste,
deoderants,
biodegradable detergents, vitamin B12, sunscreens and probably
most
of the other items on that list. At best it is out of date. At
worst,
it is totally fraudulent. What animal products are used in the
manufacture
of paper, plastic, ceramics and glass?
===============================
Mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians. Unless you like
to count bugs too.
Just because the end product MAY not contain bits of animals, it
doesn't mean that they don't die. They do, and very brutally and
inhumanely.

Dave

Derek wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2005 06:44:45 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> Being that your other response failed to demonstrate
> >> that you understand this distinction, I can understand
> >> why you wouldn't to demonstrate that same failure
> >> again.

> >Whatever.

> That's a lazy non-response and shows

that I am not going to waste my time responding to unconstructive
comments that do nothing to move the debate forward.

> >> It wasn't intended as one; it's an observation.

> >> If you've nothing to explain your self-contradictory
> >> nym away, then it's easy to see why you wouldn't
> >> want to comment on my observation.

> >I have nothing to explain. Pesco-vegan was a perfectly
> >valid nym to use.

> You've already conceded that "It is oxymoronic.", yet
> now you're trying to claim that it's a perfectly VALID
> nym to use. You're all over the place.

It was oxymoronic *and* appropriate.

> >> At last!

> >> No thank you.

> >> You have now; "It is oxymoronic.", but you needed
> >> that explained to you first before dropping the nym.

> >I always knew the name was oxymoronic but that
> >didn't matter and still doesn't.

> It did matter, and that's why you've dropped it.

I have explained why I dropped the nym more than once
now. If you want to delude yourself that I dropped the
nym because your objections to it were unanswerable, so be it.

> >> You've admitted that they are below this line. Also,
> >> you're on record stating;
> >> "My consumer habits are influenced by AR principles
> >> if that's what you mean."
> >> Pesco-vegan (Dave) Sep 3 2005 http://tinyurl.com/bnbsd
> >>
> >> Yet you eat fish, and that on it's own is a massive
> >> contradiction to what you've stated in that quote
> >> above.

> >No it isn't. I said my consumer habits were influenced
> >by AR principles

> Yet you eat fish: animals.

It is practically impossible to be a consumer without supporting
animal rights abuses in a society that does not recognize said
rights. Destroying rainforest to plant soya beans could be described
as an infringement of AR and spraying insecticide over your crops
sure as hell is!

Fish are animals but to my way of thinking, they are not in the same
league as birds or mammals.

> >- not dictated by them.

> Not if you don't live by your stated principles, and
> that's what I'm taking you to task over. Your
> principles are as contradictory

I don't see the contradiction.

> as the nym you
> dropped, and that wont do while you continue to
> insist that your principles aren't contradictory. You
> need to sort yourself out and decide what principles
> you're going to stick with if you want to avoid being
> seen as a hypocrite.

I'll stand by all the remarks I've made since entering
these newsgroups except those that I have explicitly
retracted. You are welcome to take me to task over any
pair of statements I have made that appear contradictory
and I shall either retract one of them or defend both.

> >> Fish are animals, and if your consumer
> >> habits are influenced by AR principles, then you
> >> aren't living up to your stated principles. You're
> >> contradicting yourself.

There is no contradiction because I never claimed to endorse
a wholesale application of AR principles that applies to
all animal products, including fish and insects but tends
towards turning a blind eye to the animal abuses that occur in
non-animal agriculture.

> >> They are if you're eating animals which you claim
> >> hold rights against you;
> >>
> >> "My consumer habits are influenced by AR principles
> >> if that's what you mean."
> >> Pesco-vegan (Dave) Sep 3 2005 http://tinyurl.com/bnbsd
> >>
> >> You eat fish, yet you also claim that your consumer
> >> habits are influenced by AR principles. That alone
> >> is a massive contradiction.

> >My consumer habits are influenced by AR ideas

> "principles" is what you wrote, not "ideas", and you
> aren't living by your stated principles which you've
> hitherto insisted influence your consumer habits.

See above.

pearl

"Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
<..>
>> Suppose that butchers and supermarkets did start buying meat
>> from animals that died naturally.

Strictly prohibited.

'Death from natural causes or accident
27(1) A person shall not take into an abattoir an
animal that has died from natural causes or because
of an accident.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/acts376?opendocument

'FOOD SAFETY
State and Federal Standards and Regulations
It is unlawful to handle, skin, butcher, cut up, dress
or prepare for the making of fertilizers, animal feeding,
or other uses, any animal, or the meat or other parts
of an animal, that died from natural causes, disease,
or accident, in any room of an establishment where
animals are slaughtered, dressed, and prepared for
human food.
http://www.nasda-hq.org/nasda/nasda/...nnsylvania.pdf

Dave

I have been thinking about this discussion a bit more since
replying and I have a few more things to say about it. Firstly
that it is nice to be able to have a civil conversation, rather
than playing insult tennis, for a change so thank you for that, dhld.

If everyone switched to a vegan diet, I believe a lot more
land would become available. Some of that would inevitably become
buildings and offices, which as you rightly point out, support
much less life than cattle grazing areas. Some of it would become
gardens, which is probably no bad thing. I reckon some of it would
end up being left wild. There would be also be less pressure on
the rainforest habitat as demand for soya would drop and demand for
beef would cease altogether. Feeding the world would be easier but
B12 deficiencies might become endemic amongst those populations too
poor to afford supplements.

>From the above perspectives, the addition of handline-caught fish,

forest game meat, wild birds eggs and honey can be justified in
moderation. Possibly there are also some marginal lands that would
be better used for animals than for crops.

I am still open-minded about humanely reared farm animals. They
do seem to represent a rather inefficient way of extracting land
from food but of course they provide wool and leather as well.
Anything else? Also in mixed agriculture systems animals can be used
to weed, plough and fertilize the land. Ducks can also help control
slugs in an environmentally responsible manner. At the moment I have
far more questions than answers. I am basically thinking out loud.

One thing that has just occured to me about GFCs is that, unless
I am mistaken, they eat hay during the winter. Did Mr Davis consider
the deaths caused by the harvesting and storage of this hay?

Dave

rick wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> snippage...
>

> It is possible to get vegan soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste,
> deoderants,
> biodegradable detergents, vitamin B12, sunscreens and probably
> most
> of the other items on that list. At best it is out of date. At
> worst,
> it is totally fraudulent. What animal products are used in the
> manufacture
> of paper, plastic, ceramics and glass?
> ===============================
> Mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians. Unless you like
> to count bugs too.
> Just because the end product MAY not contain bits of animals, it
> doesn't mean that they don't die. They do, and very brutally and
> inhumanely.

That does not answer my question.

Dave

pearl wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
> <..>
> >> Suppose that butchers and supermarkets did start buying meat
> >> from animals that died naturally.

> Strictly prohibited.

Hi Pearl, the point is that according to Derek's ridiculous application
of
Arsitotle's per-se versus per-accidens distinction, all meat would be
ethical to eat if it was not illegal for butchers and supermarkets to
do
buy meat from animals that died naturally or accidently.

> 'Death from natural causes or accident
> 27(1) A person shall not take into an abattoir an
> animal that has died from natural causes or because
> of an accident.
> http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/acts376?opendocument
>
> 'FOOD SAFETY
> State and Federal Standards and Regulations
> ..
> It is unlawful to handle, skin, butcher, cut up, dress
> or prepare for the making of fertilizers, animal feeding,
> or other uses, any animal, or the meat or other parts
> of an animal, that died from natural causes, disease,
> or accident, in any room of an establishment where
> animals are slaughtered, dressed, and prepared for
> human food.
> http://www.nasda-hq.org/nasda/nasda/...nnsylvania.pdf

pearl

"Dave" > wrote in message ups.com...
<..>
> Destroying rainforest to plant soya beans could be described
> as an infringement of AR

'Paving The Amazon With Soy...
The sprawling state of Mato Grosso, in central west
Brazil, could be thought a paradise of sorts, at least
from a distance. The lush rainforest of the Amazon
basin, often called the "lungs of the world," straddles
the state, as does the grassy Brazilian savanna or
cerrado. Parrots, jaguars and pumas are just a few
of the abundant species found in the savanna,
considered one of the most biodiverse in the world,
along with endangered species like the maned wolf,
anteater and river-dwelling giant otter.

The landscape, however, is rapidly being altered
as vast fields of soybeans and cattle ranches
replace grasslands and forests. Soy rules Mato
Grosso and it's not the soy that much of the world
associates with the ostensibly eco-friendly,
vegetarian diet, either.

In the wake of the Mad Cow disease scare, soy
producers have benefited from increased demand
in affluent countries for meat from cows that are
fed soy meal, rather than animal-based feed.
..........'
http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/20793/

> and spraying insecticide over your crops sure as hell is!

'Surveys by the ministry of agriculture and the British Trust
for Ornithology have shown the beneficial effects of organic
farming on wildlife. It's not difficult to see why: the pesticides
used in intensive agriculture kill many soil organisms, insects
and other larger species. They also kill plants considered to
be weeds. That means fewer food sources available for other
animals, birds and beneficial insects and it also destroys many
of their habitats.
http://tinyurl.com/d4bm4

'..This comprehensive European-wide literature review provides
evidence on the whole range of environmental benefits of organic
farming. It concludes that, in comparison with non-organic farming,
organic farming tends to support greater biodiversity, conserves
soil fertility and stability better, does not pose any risk of water
pollution from pesticides, results in 40-60% lower carbon dioxide
emissions per hectare, nitrous oxide and ammonia emission
potential appears to be lower, energy consumption is usually lower,
and energy efficiency is usually higher.
...'
http://tinyurl.com/8anxd

'The independent research quoted in this report found substantially
greater levels of both abundance and diversity of species on the
organic farms, as outlined below:

Plants: Five times as many wild plants in arable fields, 57% more
species, and several rare and declining wild arable species found
only on organic farms.

Birds: 25% more birds at the field edge, 44% more in-field in
autumn/winter; 2.2 times as many breeding skylarks and higher
skylark breeding rates.

Invertebrates: 1.6 times as many of the arthropods that comprise
bird food; three times as many non-pest butterflies in the crop areas;
one to five times as many spider numbers and one to two times as
many spider species.

Crop pests: Significant decrease in aphid numbers; no change in
numbers of pest butterflies.

Distribution of the biodiversity benefits: Though the field boundaries
had the highest levels of wildlife, the highest increases were found
in the cropped areas of the fields.

Quality of the habitats: Both the field boundary and crop habitats
were more favourable on the organic farms. The field boundaries
had more trees, larger hedges and no spray drift.
...'
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/pn48/pn48p15b.htm

> Fish are animals but to my way of thinking, they are not in the same
> league as birds or mammals.

' We address the question of pain perception in fish by first
accepting the assumption that it is unlikely that the conscious
perception of pain evolved to simply guide reactions to noxious
events, or to provide an experiential dimension to accompany
reflexes, but rather it allowed an organism to discriminate their
environment in ways that permitted adaptive and flexible
behaviour (Chandroo et al. 2004). The neural systems involved
in nociception and pain perception, and the cognitive processes
resulting in flexible behaviour function, probably evolved as an
interactive dynamic system within the central nervous system
(Chapman and Nakamura 1999).
The learning processes shown by fish include observational
(McGregor et al. 2001), interactive (Topál and Csányi 1999),
Pavlovian (Hollis 1984) and avoidance (Zerbolio and Royalty
1983). Current work shows that learning processes
demonstrated by fish are multifaceted phenomenon that have
clear fitness implications to fish species at various developmental
stages (Brown and Laland 2003; Griffiths 2003; Hoare and
Krause 2003; Kelley and Magurran 2003; Odling-Smee and
Braithwaite 2003).
All teleost fish have elaborate forebrains (Butler and Hodos
1996), and the degree of forebrain development is correlated
with social behaviour, communication abilities and other
environmental factors that may require integrative cognitive
capacities (Kotrschal et al. 1998). Fish have evolved to
exploit diverse environmental niches, and show concomitant
development within all relevant brain areas. This brain
development may consist of increases or decreases in brain
stem, cerebellar, optic, olfactory, diencephalic and telencephalic
structural mass or complexity (Kotrschal et al. 1998). The
morphological changes that may comprise the representative
brain for any given species are diverse, and contrary to Rose's
generalized assumption, some phylogenetic radiations(e.g.
actinoperygians) show a shift in brain mass from primary
sensory areas towards higher order integration centres
(Kotrschal et al. 1998). In addition, the integration of
cerebellar, optic and telencephalic functions to produce
cognitive responses to the environment may be similar in
fish and mammals (Broglio et al. 2003).
....'
http://www.aquanet.ca/English/resear...erspective.pdf

[" Humans - who enslave, castrate, experiment on, and
fillet other animals - have had an understandable penchant
for pretending animals do not feel pain. A sharp distinction
between humans and "animals" is essential if we are to
bend them to our will, make them work for us, wear them,
eat them - without any disquieting tinges of guilt or regret.
It is unseemly of us, who often behave so unfeelingly toward
other animals, to contend that only humans can suffer. The
behaviour of other animals renders such pretensions specious.
They are just too much like us." -- Dr. Carl Sagan &
Dr. Ann Druyan, Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, 1992 ]

Variety of ocean's fish down by half, study says
Juliet Eilperin, Washington Post
July 29, 2005 FISH0729

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The variety of species in the world's
oceans has dropped by as much as 50 percent in the past 50 years,
according to a paper published today in the journal Science.

A combination of overfishing, habitat destruction and climate change
has narrowed the range of fish across the globe, wrote biologists
Boris Worm and Ransom Myers of Dalhousie University in Nova
Scotia and three other scientists.

In some areas, such as the ocean off northwest Australia where a
wide variety of tuna and billfish used to thrive, diversity has declined
precipitously.

"Where you used to put out a fishing line 50 years ago and catch
10 species, now you catch five species for the same amount of effort,"
Worm said Thursday. "That's a recipe for ecological collapse and
disaster."

The study, which marks the first worldwide mapping of predatory
fish diversity, identified five remaining spots that still have a rich
variety of species, two of them in U.S. waters: the east coast of
Florida, south of Hawaii, near Australia's Great Barrier Reef, near
Sri Lanka and in the South Pacific.

"These areas are really of global significance," Worm said. "It's
really important to protect them now, because 20 years from
now they may not be there."

The total catch for tuna and billfish has increased as much as
tenfold over the past 50 years, prompting fish diversity to
plummet, researchers said. Overfishing is the main reason, but
inadvertent catches of other fish also factors in, Worm said.

The study also found that, in the Pacific, the variety of fish
increased when the weather pattern known as El Niño swept in
and brought warmer surface water, but then contracted when
temperatures dropped.

Predatory fish appear to like medium temperatures around 77
degrees Fahrenheit, Myers said. "Like Goldilocks and the three
bears, ocean animals don't like it too hot or too cold, they like
it just right."

To conduct the study, Worm and Myers -- along with Marcel
Sandow and Andreas Oschlies of Germany's Leibniz Institute
for Marine Science and Heike Lotze of Britain's National
Oceanography Centre -- used data from Japanese long-line
fisheries going back to the 1950s, which they cross-referenced
with scientific observer data from the United States and Australia.

The researchers determined that tuna and billfish are indicators
of wider ocean diversity and that these species are disappearing
in many areas. Mid-size predators -- snake mackerel and
pelagic stingrays -- are taking their place.

Worm compared the diminishing range of species to a poorly
distributed stock portfolio that's ill-equipped to respond to
economic and environmental shifts.

"As [fishing] markets change, as the climate changes, you
have nothing to fall back on," he said.

' Two years ago, he and Mr. Worm used the same data
to show that commercial fishing had depleted the world's
oceans of 90 per cent of the overall abundance of big fish
that flourished 50 years ago.
.....'
http://www.seaotters.org/CurrentIssu....cfm?DocID=279

THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES AND
ECONOMIC COSTS OF DEPLETING THE WORLD'S
OCEANS
http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/ite...ijee/somma.htm

'Brenda C Davis and Penny M Kris-Etherton, Achieving
optimal essential fatty acid status in vegetarians: current
knowledge and practical implications. American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 78, No. 3, 640S-646S,
September 2003
Given the rate of conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA,
it has been suggested that a safe and adequate ratio for
the vegetarian and vegan populations would be in the
range of 2:1-4:1 (22). This can best be achieved by
increasing ALA in the diet and decreasing LA, if indicated
(see below).
... it is important to ensure that there are sufficient amounts
of ALA, which is necessary for the production of EPA and
DHA. Most healthy vegetarians would be well advised to
double their intake of ALA, providing 1% of energy from
n-3 fatty acids or 1.1 g/1000 cal. For those with increased
needs or decreased capacity to convert, an intake of 2%
of energy or 2.2 g/1000 cal may be necessary. The primary
sources of ALA are selected seeds, nuts, and legumes
(flaxseed, hempseed, canola, walnuts, and soy) and the
green leaves of plants, including phytoplankton and algae.
Practical guidelines for achieving optimal EFA intake in
vegetarians are as follows. 1) Make a wide variety of
whole plant foods the foundation of the diet. 2) Get most
fat from whole foods-nuts, seeds, olives, avocados, and
soy foods. 3) If using concentrated fats and oils, select
those rich in monounsaturated fats, such as olive, canola,
or nut oils. n-3-Rich oils can also be used but should not
be heated. Moderate use of n-6-rich oils is recommended.
4) Limit intake of processed foods and deep-fried foods
rich in trans and n-6 fatty acids. 5) Reduce intake of foods
rich in saturated fat and cholesterol. 6) Include foods rich
in n-3 fatty acids in the daily diet. Aim for 2-4 g ALA/d.
7) Consider using a direct source of DHA. Aim for
100-300 mg/d.
... a DHA-rich microalgae that provides 10-40% DHA
by dry weight .. is currently available in supplement form.
....'
http://tinyurl.com/65xn7

Yes.

pearl

"Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
> pearl wrote:
>
> > "Dave" > wrote in message oups.com...
> > <..>

> > Strictly prohibited.

> Hi Pearl, the point is that according to Derek's ridiculous application of
> Arsitotle's per-se versus per-accidens distinction, all meat would be
> ethical to eat if it was not illegal for butchers and supermarkets to
> do buy meat from animals that died naturally or accidently.

As it is not legal, Derek's application of it is perfectly valid.

> > 'Death from natural causes or accident
> > 27(1) A person shall not take into an abattoir an
> > animal that has died from natural causes or because
> > of an accident.
> > http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/acts376?opendocument
> >
> > 'FOOD SAFETY
> > State and Federal Standards and Regulations
> > ..
> > It is unlawful to handle, skin, butcher, cut up, dress
> > or prepare for the making of fertilizers, animal feeding,
> > or other uses, any animal, or the meat or other parts
> > of an animal, that died from natural causes, disease,
> > or accident, in any room of an establishment where
> > animals are slaughtered, dressed, and prepared for
> > human food.
> > http://www.nasda-hq.org/nasda/nasda/...nnsylvania.pdf

dh@. wrote:
.... Maybe
> you agree with him, but to me these "ARAs" are incredible
> freaks.

Worse than that they are scum, even though their intent may be good.

And no I dont agree with any concept which has no basis in *reality*.
eg animal rights, in reality animals dont have rights, animal rights
are the invention of communist inspired fools.

Humans have rights animals dont. How an animal is treated is up to the
owner of that animal.

If dh@. wants to care for animals, then dh@. ought buy the ones he
wants to care for and then claim a property right on them, so as that
he and he alone an determine how they are treated.

My personal view on the treatment of humans and other animals is, I
dont like to see humans treated like animals and or the same reason I
dont like seeing animals treated like humans.

The fact is, the more society treats animals like humans the closer
that society is getting to treating humans like animals. eg witness
socialism.

Michael Gordge

> dh@. wrote:
> ... Maybe
> > you agree with him, but to me these "ARAs" are incredible
> > freaks.

> Worse than that they are scum, even though their intent may be good.
>
> And no I dont agree with any concept which has no basis in *reality*.
> eg animal rights, in reality animals dont have rights, animal rights
> are the invention of communist inspired fools.
>
> Humans have rights animals dont. How an animal is treated is up to the
> owner of that animal.
>
> If dh@. wants to care for animals, then dh@. ought buy the ones he
> wants to care for and then claim a property right on them, so as that
> he and he alone an determine how they are treated.
>
> My personal view on the treatment of humans and other animals is, I
> dont like to see humans treated like animals and or the same reason I
> dont like seeing animals treated like humans.
>
> The fact is, the more society treats animals like humans the closer
> that society is getting to treating humans like animals. eg witness
> socialism.
>

> Michael Gordge

appologies dh@. you do realise I was referring to the animal rights
clown.

pearl

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
- Mahatma Gandhi

(Also, evidently, an individual's moral progress...)

pearl wrote:
> "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
> can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
> - Mahatma Gandhi

He's from India right? the poorest, the most backward, and of course
the largest democracy on earth, a country that treats cows like humans.
What better reason to ignore the stupid old ****ed in the head git.

Michael Gordge

Dutch

> wrote
>
> Dutch wrote:
>> > Really? so you'd lock a cat in jail for eating a mouse? man you are
>> > weird.

>> No, that's not what I mean. I mean, for example, that a domestic animal
>> has
>> a right to be fed and sheltered and protected from abuse.

> Oh really, so where do you draw the line? Surely *death* is the
> ultimate *abuse*!!

No it isn't, since we are omnivorous animals it is not per se abusive to
kill other animals for food.

> eg Framer Brown raises cattle, sheep, poultry, fish for the purpose of
> human consumption? ie for humans to eat.
>
> What happens to your so called *rights of animals* when it comes time
> for the farmer to sell his stock to be slaughtered?

They still exist right up until the time they are slaughtered, i.e. those
animals have a moral right, that is, we have a moral obligation to ensure
that those animals are killed in the most humane way we can manage.
http://www.grandin.com/

> ie I am asking you to define the difference between your *animal
> rights* and the rights of humans?

I think I already have, animal rights are mainly centred on the assurance of
humane care.

> why not let humans be killed for
> other humans to eat as well?

Why not indeed? Why *would* we contemplate such a thing? You seem to be
labouring under the misconception that since we grant domestic animals the
right to be treated humanely we must grant them some other rights also, such
as not to be used as food. That kind of fuzzy thinking is what leads ARAs to
the fanatical position they occupy.

> You seem to be
> labouring under the misconception that since we grant domestic animals the
> right to be treated humanely

There is NO *WE* sunshine, YOU speak ONLY for YOU.

I dont grant nor do I claim to grant rights, (human or otherwise) nor
do I agree with any such thing as animal rights. The person who claims
an abilty to *grant* rights (to animals or humans) is the same person
who will claim a right to take them away, at any time.

Rights apply ONLY to human beings, because human beings are the only
animal capable of upholding them and of understanding them.

A *right* granted to an animal MUST come at the expense of a human
right, I could never sanction such an act.

If you want to *care* for an animal's welfare, then the ONLY MORAL
course of action available to you is, to purchase that animal, or
peacefully persuade the owner to let you have it, and then claim a
property right on it, so as you can then treat it any way you like.

Michael Gordge

BTW I used to donate to RSPCA because in general they do an excellent
job. I am first and foremost a human being and I dont like to see ANY
animal human or otherwise suffer. HOWEVER because of the inflitration
of the communist agenda now in that organisation, I no longer do.

rick

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> rick wrote:
>
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> snippage...
>>

>> It is possible to get vegan soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste,
>> deoderants,
>> biodegradable detergents, vitamin B12, sunscreens and probably
>> most
>> of the other items on that list. At best it is out of date. At
>> worst,
>> it is totally fraudulent. What animal products are used in the
>> manufacture
>> of paper, plastic, ceramics and glass?
>> ===============================
>> Mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians. Unless you
>> like
>> to count bugs too.
>> Just because the end product MAY not contain bits of animals,
>> it
>> doesn't mean that they don't die. They do, and very brutally
>> and
>> inhumanely.

> That does not answer my question.

===========================
Yes, it does. There may not be not pieces of animals in the end
product, but animals were 'used' in the production.

Dutch

"Dave" > wrote

> Derek wrote:

>> On 23 Sep 2005 06:20:47 -0700, in alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian you
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >I was just wondering the same question. Derek did go very quiet on
>> >us when we demonstrated that the animal deaths associated with
>> >meat production were per accidens using the definitions he
>> >provided didn't he?

>> If I remember correctly, you argued that they weren't
>> per accidens, dummy. I made my case by defining the
>> terms accurately and clearly.

> Viz:
>
> "According to Aristotle's essence vs. accident distinction
> (per se vs. per accidens), when a property of something
> is classified as "essence" it means that that property is
> always absolutely necessary for that object's existence."
>
> Meat can be sourced from animals that have died of natural
> causes. Therefore the killing of animals is not absolutely
> necessary for the existence of meat. Gotcha!

Absolutely correct, and to illustrate vegan hypocrisy, note that they
regularly attempt to argue that consuming plant-based products is morally
superior because it is (supposedly) theoretically possible to obtain plant
foods without killing any animals, even though very few of them actually do.

>> If you still have a problem
>> understanding the distinction between them I suggest you
>> Why have you dropped the stupid nym 'pesco-vegan',
>> dummy? Couldn't carry it, eh?

> There is nothing stupid about the nym 'Pesco-vegan'.
> When I decided that "eat no meat or dairy" was too
> simplistic a rule then the nym no longer seemed
> appropriate for me. That is all.

Note that this attack is coming from a person who claims to abhor vehemently
the practice of attacking the person rather than the argument.

Dutch

You know that we're not ARAs ****wit, deal with that first, then we'll talk.

Dutch

<dh@.> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:48:34 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

>>"Derek" > wrote

>>> Harrison and myself are right when we say you're an
>>> [A]nimal [R]ights [A]dvocate, liar Ditch;

>>No, I'm not, not in the way he means it, i.e. I do NOT advocate the
>>elimination of animal farming.

> You are an "ARA" in "the way" that you would rather see
> people become vegans,

Then why have I been telling people for the last five years that "veganism"
is a flawed idea?

> than see them deliberately contribute
> to decent lives for livestock. That makes you not only an "ARA",
> but an opponent of AW.

No, if people eat meat THEN they should "contribute to decent lives for
livestock", if they don't then the advice does not apply to them. I have
absolutely no preference as to whether people are vegetarians or meat
eaters, it's none of my business. The fact that you do makes you a fool.

Dutch

> wrote
>> You seem to be
>> labouring under the misconception that since we grant domestic animals
>> the
>> right to be treated humanely

> There is NO *WE* sunshine, YOU speak ONLY for YOU.

I beg to differ_Mikey, there *is* indeed a we, it's called "society". It has
laws, social sanctions, taboos, common ideals, and all sorts of good stuff.
We are part of it, whether we like it or not. In fact if we all just spoke
for ourselves then there wouldn't be much point to any of this, get my
drift? Laws that protect domestic animals are de facto evidence of rights.

> I dont grant nor do I claim to grant rights, (human or otherwise)

Yes you do, every functioning member of the social contract does, you are a
"moral agent". If you weren't you'd be in jail pretty quick. The fact that
you can walk the street in peace is the social contract in action.

> nor
> do I agree with any such thing as animal rights.

So it's fine with you if get my jollies by beating on my little dog?

> The person who claims
> an abilty to *grant* rights (to animals or humans) is the same person
> who will claim a right to take them away, at any time.

Society grants rights and takes them away, no individual does that.

> Rights apply ONLY to human beings, because human beings are the only
> animal capable of upholding them and of understanding them.

Animals can be "moral patients", in a similar way as minor children or
people in comas. They can hold rights against us, but we can't hold rights
against them.

> A *right* granted to an animal MUST come at the expense of a human
> right, I could never sanction such an act.

So you demand the right to abuse animals? Why?

> If you want to *care* for an animal's welfare, then the ONLY MORAL
> course of action available to you is, to purchase that animal, or
> peacefully persuade the owner to let you have it, and then claim a
> property right on it, so as you can then treat it any way you like.

Well you can **** up a rope Mikey, because in most jurisdictions animal
abuse is indictable offense, as it should be. If I had my way people who
abused animals would be bound, whipped, and have the same treatment done to
them that they inflicted on a helpless animal.

> Michael Gordge
>

> BTW I used to donate to RSPCA because in general they do an excellent
> job. I am first and foremost a human being and I dont like to see ANY
> animal human or otherwise suffer. HOWEVER because of the inflitration
> of the communist agenda now in that organisation, I no longer do.

That's your business, I nearly stopped donating because of corruption in our
local SPCA, but for the sake of the animals in their care I carry on.

Dutch

> wrote

> My personal view on the treatment of humans and other animals is, I
> dont like to see humans treated like animals and or the same reason I
> dont like seeing animals treated like humans.

That's kind of circular isn't it? If we didn't mistreat animals it wouldn't
make sense.

Dutch

"Dave" > wrote
>I have been thinking about this discussion a bit more since
> replying and I have a few more things to say about it. Firstly
> that it is nice to be able to have a civil conversation, rather
> than playing insult tennis, for a change so thank you for that, dhld.
>
> If everyone switched to a vegan diet, I believe a lot more
> land would become available. Some of that would inevitably become
> buildings and offices, which as you rightly point out, support
> much less life than cattle grazing areas. Some of it would become
> gardens, which is probably no bad thing. I reckon some of it would
> end up being left wild. There would be also be less pressure on
> the rainforest habitat as demand for soya would drop and demand for
> beef would cease altogether. Feeding the world would be easier but
> B12 deficiencies might become endemic amongst those populations too
> poor to afford supplements.
>
>>From the above perspectives, the addition of handline-caught fish,

> forest game meat, wild birds eggs and honey can be justified in
> moderation. Possibly there are also some marginal lands that would
> be better used for animals than for crops.

There is marginal land in great abundance all over theworld.

> I am still open-minded about humanely reared farm animals. They
> do seem to represent a rather inefficient way of extracting land
> from food but of course they provide wool and leather as well.
> Anything else? Also in mixed agriculture systems animals can be used
> to weed, plough and fertilize the land. Ducks can also help control
> slugs in an environmentally responsible manner. At the moment I have
> far more questions than answers. I am basically thinking out loud.
>
> One thing that has just occured to me about GFCs is that, unless
> I am mistaken, they eat hay during the winter. Did Mr Davis consider
> the deaths caused by the harvesting and storage of this hay?

The Davis studies more than anything demonstrate the fact that agriculture
of all kinds is bloody, and that the narrow vegan focus on domestics is
misguided. Do you really want to get down to counting dead animals, ALL of
them? I have a square mile of stubble with a few million little dead frogs
on it, we can start counting right away...

Dutch wrote:
> Society grants rights and takes them away, no individual does that.

So explain, if *no individual* can grant any rights, then where does a
mob of individuals get their authority to grant rights from? and who
gave them the authority and where did they get it from and where....

Stop making things up, in objective reality, rights can ONLY ever be
taken, they can never be given.

Robinson has no need of rights until Friday turns up, either party can
only take the rights of the other.

> > A *right* granted to an animal MUST come at the expense of a human
> > right, I could never sanction such an act.

> So you demand the right to abuse animals? Why?

That is not what I said and no such inferrence can be taken from
ANYthing I have said on this subject, so far.

However the answer to your question is YES. WHY? BECAUSE MY animals are
MINE.

However, I have also said that I do not have any desire to abuse
animals, especially not the human kind, WHY? because I am NOT a ****en
sadistical socialist.

> ... If I had my way people who
> abused animals would be bound, whipped, and have the same treatment done to
> them that they inflicted on a helpless animal.

So you would **** a human if they buggered their pet?

Michael Gordge

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > My personal view on the treatment of humans and other animals is, I
> > dont like to see humans treated like animals and or the same reason I
> > dont like seeing animals treated like humans.

> That's kind of circular isn't it?

Whoooooosh went right over your head didn't it? Or are you pretending
to be an idiot?

> If we didn't mistreat animals it wouldn't
> make sense.

There is no *we* sunshine, only individuals exist, although it is true
that the chances of a sadistical socialist, who love beating up on
humans, would also be high suspects on beating animals, are you one
Dutch?

Michael Gordge

pearl

> wrote in message ups.com...
>
> pearl wrote:
> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
> > can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
> > - Mahatma Gandhi

(Also, evidently, an individual's moral progress...)

> He's from India right? the poorest, the most backward, and of course
> the largest democracy on earth, a country that treats cows like humans.

'It is important to note that amongst all the conquered and
colonized civilizations of the Old World, India is unique in
the following respect: Its wealth was industrial and created
by its workers' ingenuity and labor. In all other instances,
such as the Native Americans, the plunder by the colonizers
was mainly of land, gold and other natural assets. But in
India's case, the colonizers had a windfall of extraordinary
profit margins from control of India's exports, taxation of
India's economic production, and eventually the transfer
of technology and production to the colonizer's home.
This comprised the immense transfer of wealth out of India.
From being the world's major exporting economy (along
with China), India was reduced to an importer of goods;
from being the source of much of the economic capital
that funded Britain's Industrial revolution, it became one
of the biggest debtor nations; from its envied status as the
wealthiest nation, it became a land synonymous with
poverty; and from the nation with a large number of
prestigious centers of higher education that attracted
the cream of foreign students from Eurasia, it became
the land with the highest number of illiterate persons.
This remains a major untold story. The education system's
subversion of India's TKS [Traditional Knowledge
Systems] in its history and social studies curricula is
a major factor for the stereotyping about India. Even
when told of these things, few westerners and elitist
Indians are willing to believe them, as the prejudices
about India are too deeply entrenched.
http://www.infinityfoundation.com/ma...s_overview.htm

> What better reason to ignore the stupid old ****ed in the head git.

->
> Michael Gordge

'Back in the South Pacific, we move on to New Zealand,
world-renowned for its sheep. With about 100,000 square
miles, 80 million sheep, and 8 million cattle, New Zealand
has the world's highest livestock density -equivalent to
about 1200 sheep per square mile. Much of the island nation
is steep, rugged, densely forested, or otherwise unproductive
for livestock, so density in areas actually grazed approaches
2000 sheep per square mile!

Were New Zealand not well-watered and lushly vegetated,
it could not support even a fraction of these animals. However,
environmental damage here can only be described as extreme.
About half of the country now resembles an immense golf course
covered chiefly with exotic vegetation. Forests that once
blanketed most of the islands have been reduced to 5% of their
original coverage. In large portions of the North Island "slips" --
or huge sections of topsoil -- are sliding off the overgrazed hills.
In the worst areas, former subtropical and temperate forest is
now virtual desert. Most of New Zealand's unique animal life
is gone, and some species are extinct or in danger of extinction,
due largely to livestock grazing and ranching practices. On this
biologically isolated island realm - where bats are the only
native mammals -- the impact of nearly 100 million large,
hooved quadrupeds is understandably profound.
http://www.wasteofthewest.com/Chapter6.html

Dutch

> wrote
>
> Dutch wrote:
>> Society grants rights and takes them away, no individual does that.

> So explain, if *no individual* can grant any rights, then where does a
> mob of individuals get their authority to grant rights from? and who
> gave them the authority and where did they get it from and where....

The history of civilization is long story...

> Stop making things up, in objective reality, rights can ONLY ever be
> taken, they can never be given.

How can rights be taken if they aren't first granted?

> Robinson has no need of rights until Friday turns up, either party can
> only take the rights of the other.

They can violate them, not take them.

>> > A *right* granted to an animal MUST come at the expense of a human
>> > right, I could never sanction such an act.

>> So you demand the right to abuse animals? Why?

> That is not what I said and no such inferrence can be taken from
> ANYthing I have said on this subject, so far.

No? You said that any right of an animal must come at the price of the right
of a human. The only right I proposed that animals hold is protection from
abuse, therefore the right you are defending is the right for humans to
abuse animals. The only logical conclusion is that you are a scumbag animal
abuser or you are defending them.

> However the answer to your question is YES. WHY? BECAUSE MY animals are
> MINE.

There's more evidence that you are a scumbag animal abuser.

> However, I have also said that I do not have any desire to abuse
> animals,

Then why do you need the right to do it? Why does anyone?

> especially not the human kind,

Why especially not humans? Humans deserve abuse more often than an animal
ever would.

You're a throwback to ****in McCarthyism.

>> ... If I had my way people who
>> abused animals would be bound, whipped, and have the same treatment done
>> them that they inflicted on a helpless animal.

> So you would **** a human if they buggered their pet?

Yea, with a hot poker, bend over.

Dutch

> wrote
>
> Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote
>>
>> > My personal view on the treatment of humans and other animals is, I
>> > dont like to see humans treated like animals and or the same reason I
>> > dont like seeing animals treated like humans.

>> That's kind of circular isn't it?

> Whoooooosh went right over your head didn't it? Or are you pretending
> to be an idiot?

So if animals are well treated you don't want humans to be well-treated?

>> If we didn't mistreat animals it wouldn't
>> make sense.

> There is no *we* sunshine, only individuals exist,

Individuals don't draft men into the army or throw criminals like scumbag
animal abusers in jail Mikey, the "system" does it. Sorry to burst your
bubble, but there's a "we" all right.

> although it is true
> that the chances of a sadistical socialist, who love beating up on
> humans, would also be high suspects on beating animals, are you one
> Dutch?

You have it reversed Mikey, it's people who want the right to beat up on
animals who are more likely to commit violence towards people.

Diogenes

"I care for no mans religion that does not benefit his dog and cat."
Abraham Lincoln

He was an American, are you going to ignore him too. The in-ability to
feel empathy for those who suffer (human or not) shows a lack of
something. By the way, in most of the states in the United States
children are considered property. Does that give parents the right to
beat, kill, harm, or otherwise do them wrong?

Dutch

"Diogenes" > wrote

> "I care for no mans religion that does not benefit his dog and cat."
> Abraham Lincoln
>
> He was an American, are you going to ignore him too.

It may be the Google threading, you MUST be addressing these comments to
Mikey.

>The in-ability to
> feel empathy for those who suffer (human or not) shows a lack of
> something.

Yes, empathy.

> By the way, in most of the states in the United States
> children are considered property.

I thought they were citizens with the same basic rights as adults.

> Does that give parents the right to
> beat, kill, harm, or otherwise do them wrong?

Technically yes, that's my complaint with the definition of sentient beings
as simply property. New legislation in some countries recognizes that
animals are more than just property.

Dutch wrote:

> You have it reversed Mikey, it's people who want the right to beat up on
> animals who are more likely to commit violence towards people.

It matters not a monkey's toss, people who beat up on animals are also
most likely to be socialists ie beat up on people, its a power thing.

Not all those who abuse animals are socialists of course, but all
socialists do abuse humans. Socialism is impotent without the
legislated ability to abuse humans eg taxation.

Socialists love the idea of power, they dont care if its animals or
humans they have power over.

If you want to know where the nonsense of animal rights come from, you
need look no further than socialism.

Animal rights come at the expense of human rights. You cant enforce so
called animal rights without violating the property rights of humans.

Granting animal rights is to take power over those animals and to take
power over the individuals who own them.

Explain Dutch, HOW does a mob of you grant yourselves something you
dont have as individuals?

Rights apply ONLY to humans, rights can only ever be taken, eg when
something already exists, eg life, then that life can only be taken.
Life exists long BEFORE rights.

Michael Gordge

Dutch

> wrote
>
> Dutch wrote:
>>
>> You have it reversed Mikey, it's people who want the right to beat up on
>> animals who are more likely to commit violence towards people.

> It matters not a monkey's toss, people who beat up on animals are also
> most likely to be socialists ie beat up on people, its a power thing.

It's virtually always the case that abuse of animals precedes violence
towards humans, it's simply an opportunity thing.

> Not all those who abuse animals are socialists of course, but all
> socialists do abuse humans. Socialism is impotent without the
> legislated ability to abuse humans eg taxation.
>
> Socialists love the idea of power, they dont care if its animals or
> humans they have power over.
>
> If you want to know where the nonsense of animal rights come from, you
> need look no further than socialism.

Shut up about socialists for ****'s sake, I don't give a shit about your
political ranting.

> Animal rights come at the expense of human rights. You cant enforce so
> called animal rights without violating the property rights of humans.

Nobody needs the right to abuse animals, and animals certainly need the
protection from abusers.

> Granting animal rights is to take power over those animals and to take
> power over the individuals who own them.

Good.

> Explain Dutch, HOW does a mob of you grant yourselves something you
> dont have as individuals?

That question makes no sense. The social contract grants rights to
individuals. There is no mob involved.

> Rights apply ONLY to humans,

That's an assertion not borne out by the evidence. Laws and sanctions
protect the rights of animals to be free from abuse.

> rights can only ever be taken, eg when
> something already exists, eg life, then that life can only be taken.
> Life exists long BEFORE rights.

Rights are not inherent, they are the function of a social order. In that
sense you have rights before you are born, i.e. they await your conception
and are granted to you on birth.

Dutch wrote:
> Shut up about socialists for ****'s sake, I don't give a shit about your
> political ranting.

What? !! Indeed, what and you reckon rabbiting on about animal rights
is not political ranting?

FFS give me a break.

Politics are *the ethics by which a society lives* YOU are trying to
FORCE through legislation, YOUR morals, YOUR choices, YOUR values, onto
those who may not choose them for themselves, and that sunshine,
whether you like it or not IS what poilitics is all about.

You're the one who started all the *we* *society* shit, the social
contract bullshit.

Sunshine read my lips, you can only breath your air, you can only
digest your food, YOUR actios are not possible without YOUR thoughts.

If you dont live according to YOUR values, then you are living
according to the values chosen by others.

You may not like the choices of others, HOWEVER unless their actions
cause or threaten to cause you or YOUR property physical harm, unless
the life of another human being is being threatened or harmed, then you
have no *moral* choice but to do NO MORE than try and persuade that
person *peacefully* to accept YOUR morals.

To not do so is to make YOUR actions no better than theirs.

If animals had rights in nature, then the mouse could tell the cat to
**** off.

> Nobody needs the right to abuse animals, and animals certainly need the
> protection from abusers.

That is a moral position you hold, if you want others to accept those
morals, then you have no choice but to use peaceful means, otherwise
YOUR actions are no better.

> > Granting animal rights is to take power over those animals and to take
> > power over the individuals who own them.

> Good.

Hitler thought it was good to control people too.

Michael Gordge

Dutch

> wrote
>
> Dutch wrote:
>> Shut up about socialists for ****'s sake, I don't give a shit about your
>> political ranting.

> What? !! Indeed, what and you reckon rabbiting on about animal rights
> is not political ranting?

Everything isn't dependent on socialists coming out of the woodwork, you
sound like a ****ing Rip van Winkle from the Cold War.

> FFS give me a break.
>
> Politics are *the ethics by which a society lives* YOU are trying to
> FORCE through legislation, YOUR morals, YOUR choices, YOUR values, onto
> those who may not choose them for themselves, and that sunshine,
> whether you like it or not IS what poilitics is all about.

Which value don't you like? The only one I have mentioned is the issue of
abusing animals. It already is illegal in all western countries anyway, the
law only needs tightening up and tweaking, and it's arguably an issue that
galvanizes more public opinion than any other.

> You're the one who started all the *we* *society* shit, the social
> contract bullshit.

Yea, what's bullshit about it? What world do you live in?

> Sunshine read my lips, you can only breath your air, you can only
> digest your food, YOUR actios are not possible without YOUR thoughts.
>
> If you dont live according to YOUR values, then you are living
> according to the values chosen by others.
>
> You may not like the choices of others, HOWEVER unless their actions
> cause or threaten to cause you or YOUR property physical harm, unless
> the life of another human being is being threatened or harmed, then you
> have no *moral* choice but to do NO MORE than try and persuade that
> person *peacefully* to accept YOUR morals.

Sounds like animal abuser apologist bullshit to me. Why are you defending
anyone's right to abuse an animal?

> To not do so is to make YOUR actions no better than theirs.

Bullshit.

> If animals had rights in nature, then the mouse could tell the cat to
> **** off.

I'm not talking about "nature" I'm talking about human civilization. There
are no morals in nature.

>> Nobody needs the right to abuse animals, and animals certainly need the
>> protection from abusers.

> That is a moral position you hold, if you want others to accept those
> morals, then you have no choice but to use peaceful means, otherwise
> YOUR actions are no better.

It's a moral position held by a vast majority of people, in the western
world at least. It's already entrenched in law, if sometimes poorly
enforced. Animal welfare officers in some jurisdictions have powers of
investigation and arrest beyon that of police. Most jurisdictions have some
beefed up 'animal rights' legislation in some state of pending. That makes
it a majority position, not only MINE.

>> > Granting animal rights is to take power over those animals and to take
>> > power over the individuals who own them.

>> Good.

> Hitler thought it was good to control people too.

Everybody thinks is necessary to control people to some extent or another.
Do you advocate uncontrolled behaviour by any whacko? I happen to believe
that robust animal protection laws are a worthwhile and necessary component
of that control.

btw you just commited the cardinal sin of usenet debate, playing the Hitler
card.

Dutch wrote:

> Everything isn't dependent on socialists coming out of the woodwork,

Animal rights, social contract, we, the greater good etal, are ALL
scummy socialist terms.

> Which value don't you like?

ALL those which require the *initiation of force* (VICE) or the
*threatened* initiation of physical force to comply with, eg animal
rights and ANY and ALL THINGS socialist, how about you Dutch?

FREEDOM, requires NO FORCE, one can only violate another human beings
FREEDOM.

Do you understand that Dutch?

FREEDOM to choose and live according to YOUR own values and allowing
others to choose and live according to their own values, what is wrong,
what is bad, what is not practical, what is immoral about that Dutch?

I regard *human life* as the standard of moral value, how about you
Dutch?

What is your standard of moral value Dutch?

HOW do YOU know, how to YOU judge, determinem if, the values and
actions you choose for yourself, are *moral*?

ONLY YOU exist Dutch, ONLY YOU can choose YOUR actions.

Michael Gordge

Dutch wrote:
> No? You said that any right of an animal must come at the price of the right
> of a human.

I said, to enforce a so called animal right, requires the violation of
property rights of humans.

THINK about this Dutch.

You are alone on a desert Island, your name is Robinson, one day you
look over the hill and see another human being, you name him Friday,
you note over a period of time, that Friday has some excellent ideas
and has in his posession items that would benefit your life
substanially, indeed may even save your life.

HOWEVER one day you find Friday beating the living shit out of his dog.

Problem, what are you going to do to stop him, while at the same time
trying not to upset him, because you know he may never share his ideas
with you, he may leave and take all his possessions with him, after
all, it IS his dog?

Michael Gordge