Derek

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:36:30 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:18:29 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>>"Derek" > wrote

>>>LOL

>> You're not laughing; you've been caught red-handed
>> while trying to use a sock puppet during this discussion,
>> and that alone shows your desperation and deceit.

>You're looking a little red in the face there fatso.

Hardly, since it's you who's been caught red-handed
while trying to use a sock puppet during this discussion.

>> What made you think you could get away with trying
>> to pull a stunt like that, and what does it say about your
>> general participation in debates if you need the aide of
>> a sock puppet to get you through? You're a joke.

>Always happy to provide some light comic relief.

Exactly! You're a joke, not a serious participant in these
discussions.
Derek

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:33:42 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote

<restore>
>I don't need aliases to defeat you.

It's clear that you used one while trying to. Explain why
you needed the help of your sock puppet during this
discussion if not as an aide to help you defeat me? It's
small wonder why you can never be trusted to discuss
these issues seriously; you're just a heckling troll, Dutch.
<end restore>

>I attack your arguments, that's fair play.

Using a sock puppet in an attempt to swarm your
opponent isn't fair play, you deluded imbecile.

>You're just ****ed because I've got the better of you

I'm laughing my arse off, liar Dutch. Just who do
you think you're fooling with this charade?

>well cry me a ****ing river

That wont be necessary.

> who's fault is that?

Yours, of course.

Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:06:49 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>Derek lied:

>>>They are analogous by definition,

>>No, they're not.

> Both propositions are analogous

You can't get anything right. The *propositions* are
not analogous; your proposition is that two *things*
are analogous. But they're not. The property that you
allege they share in common is the thing you are HOPING
TO PROVE by analogy. You just don't understand how
analogy works.

>>You are asserting they're analogous

> And they are,

They aren't. Stop lying.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:09:56 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>Derek lied:

>>>Certainly I do. I don't hold them on the basis that I
>>>can't be wronged, or abused as the case may be.

>>You don't hold them on *any* basis of your ability to
>>be wronged, you ONLY could have the ability
>>to be wronged IF you hold rights.

> And there we have it, Thank you.

You've admitted you had it backward. Stupid.
Derek

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:11:43 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

[..]

>>>No, they're not.

>> Both propositions are analogous

>You can't get anything right. The *propositions* are
>not analogous; your proposition is that two *things*
>are analogous.

By propositions I mean the propositions of animal
rights and human rights, as in;
(A) the proposition of animal rights is like (B) the
proposition of human rights.

You knew that, of course, but being the heckler you
are instead of a reasonable arguer, you tried to feign
ignorance to make life as difficult for me as you could.
Couple that together with Dutch's two nyms, and it's
clear that neither of you are worth wasting my time
on. You get the last empty word.

Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:11:43 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> >Derek lied:

> [..]

> >> Both propositions are analogous

> >You can't get anything right. The *propositions* are
> >not analogous; your proposition is that two *things*
> >are analogous.

> By propositions I mean the propositions of animal
> rights and human rights, as in;
> (A) the proposition of animal rights is like (B) the
> proposition of human rights.

Which you haven't shown; merely asserted. You still have yet to show
what other properties animals and humans have in common - the basis for
the analogy, in other words - such that rights for animals is "like"
rights for humans. And don't **** away any more of the time you could
be spending at the pub or watching telly that the common property is
the ability to be "wronged", because that's getting it backward: an
ability to be "wronged" fundamentally DEPENDS on having rights, so it
cannot serve as the basis for rights.

You stupid lying ****.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:33:42 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

> <restore>
>>I don't need aliases to defeat you.

> It's clear

....that your argument has been disassembled. The fact that you are either
incapable or lack the integrity to acknowledge it is something beyond my
control.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote

>You get the last empty word.

That's the best decision you could make, you're only compounding your
problems by repeating the same fallacies over and over.

Derek

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:57:11 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>
>>You get the last empty word.

>That's the best decision you could make

Of course; when faced with a couple of liars while
one of them uses a sock puppet, it's best to just
break from the discussion and leave all three of you
to talk amongst yourselves.

How can you honestly sit there and tell me that the
proposition of animal rights isn't analogous to human
rights while quotes from you in Google archives say
exactly that, that they ARE analogous? Look again
at your past and recent quotes, liar Ditch;

"My contention is that 'animal rights' have sprouted
like branches from the tree of "HUMAN RIGHTS".
They are derivative. They reflect from a) what our
own rights are b) to what degree and how we value
the animal or species."
Dutch 23 Feb 2001 http://tinyurl.com/3ljkh

and

"Rights for animals exist because human rights
exist. If human rights did not exist, rights for
animals would not exist."
Dutch Sun, 18 Apr 2004 http://tinyurl.com/3s6pz

and

"If they are inherent in humans then why are
they not in some way inherent in all animals?
I think rights are a human invention which we
apply widely to humans and in specific ways in
certain situations to other animals."
Dutch 18 May 2005 http://tinyurl.com/bu7nb

and

"I measure my right to be free from physical assault
by looking if laws and sanctions exist against anyone
who would assault me. Such laws and sanctions exist
to protect domestic animals from abuse, so I must
conclude that they hold rights against humans who
would abuse them."
Dutch Sep 20 2005 http://tinyurl.com/9g3yp

and

"Animals can be "moral patients", in a similar
way as minor children or people in comas.
They can hold rights against us, but we can't
hold rights against them."
Dutch 24 Sep 2005 http://tinyurl.com/cpxhx

What a lying sack of shit your are, liar Ditch. YOU DO
believe they are analogous.
Derek

On 5 Oct 2005 12:26:54 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:11:43 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> >Derek wrote:

>> [..]

>> >You can't get anything right. The *propositions* are
>> >not analogous; your proposition is that two *things*
>> >are analogous.

>> By propositions I mean the propositions of animal
>> rights and human rights, as in;
>> (A) the proposition of animal rights is like (B) the
>> proposition of human rights.

>Which you haven't shown; merely asserted.

Both propositions are analogous by definition alone: rights,
as well as being analogous in that either can be wronged
and abused by moral agents. The onus is now on you to
show that they aren't. You wont because you can't.

Dave

dh@. wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2005 08:20:30 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >dh@. wrote:

ld.

> >> You exist on Earth but live in your dream world.

> >How about wood and paper production? Wouldn't cause the land
> >to be left wild and wouldn't lead to the best sort of forests
> >from nature's point of view but probably still support more life
> >than grassland.

> It only happens in a tiny percentage of situations.
> It will not
> happen on a large enough scale to be significant.

If there is more land available, it seems logical to suppose
that prouduction of commodities such as wood and paper would
increase.

> Even if it
> did, I'd still be just as in favor of grazing areas and decent lives
> for livestock, etc. I believe it's easier to deliberately provide
> decent lives and humane deaths for domestic animals, than it
> is to do it for wild ones.

There is nothing hard about 'providing' decent lives for wild animals.
Just leave them alone in their natural habitat and let them get on with
it!

by

nd that

rom the soil,

to be

yet

But it

d wheat,

was

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

d burn

or

> >> Not in these cases. He wanted to grow maize and wheat, but later
> >> had to settle for rice and cassava, and after that had to settle for g=

rass
> >> for livestock. They weren't feeding grain to the livestock, if that's =

what
> >> you're thinking.

> >No it isn't what I was thinking. I was thinking that per calorie,
> >omnivorous
> >diets use more land than vegan diets.

> Whatever on that.

The greater the demand for land, created amongst other things by our
choice of diets, the greater the temptation to destory rainforests in
order to increase the land available to us.

> The forests are cut down to grow grain,

In the examples you cited this is true.

> and the cattle are raised after the grain can't be.

Yes.

> So we can't blame it on beef.

But it can be partially blamed on the livestock that are consuming
the grain.

> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> You have convinced me that you are entirely clueless, and
> >> that you will most likely remain so for the rest of your life. Not
> >> at all unusual in these ngs. Here's a clue, but they never seem
> >> to grasp it: some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths
> >> than some types of vegetables.

> >Yes.

> That may be a first. Did you see that rick?
>
> >> Here's another one that you
> >> won't grasp and will probably despise: some types of meat
> >> provide decent lives for livestock.

> >The animals used to produce some types of meat do lead decent
> >lives

> That may be another first.
>
> >but it is irrational to treat the lives as provided by
> >the farmer for the reasons I have put forward.

> Since the lives--and the quality of the lives now that you
> bring it up--are provided by the farmer, there are no "reasons"
> you could put forward which could change the fact.

The lives are only provided by the farmer in as much as he graciously
allows the livestock to use the land he has appropriated for himself
and controls which males are allowed to pass their genes onto the next
generation. The life of a cow/chicken/sheep/whatever are bought into
existence by that animal's parents and this process can happen without
human intervention.

> >> Read the post on Decision-making and it will help you to
> >> understand why you just can't care. "ARAs" make deliberate
> >> use of cognitive dissonance, and they probably manipulated
> >> you years ago. Now you're stuck...probably for life. Here's
> >> something about it specifically from the same discussion
> >> group:
> >> __________________________________________________ _______
> >> http://monkeyfilter.com/link.php/4334
> >>
> >> We all, all over the world, suffer from cognitive dissonance
> >> regarding many issues. And no one could argue that it is a good
> >> thing. Why then do we say that politicians who change their minds
> >> (perhaps with good reason) are "flip-flopping?" Myers points out
> >> that we seem to consider it "a sin to change one's mind in light
> >> of new information" - But isn't "the greater sin a self-justifying
> >> refusal to learn from mistakes?"

> >I am always willing to reconsider my position when provided with
> >new information or angles I have previously failed to consider.

> Maybe. Maybe you just pretend.
>
> >> I wonder if there are other good examples of cognitive dissonance
> >> in world politics that people can think of? And, most of all, I
> >> wonder how one can answer to cognitive dissonance in oneself and
> >> in others, especially regarding such important matters.
> >>
> >> posted by jb at 02:19PM UTC
> >> =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

Dave

rick wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> dh@. wrote:
>

> snips...
>

> > Not in these cases. He wanted to grow maize and wheat, but
> > later
> > had to settle for rice and cassava, and after that had to
> > settle for grass
> > for livestock. They weren't feeding grain to the livestock, if
> > that's what
> > you're thinking.

> No it isn't what I was thinking. I was thinking that per calorie,
> omnivorous
> diets use more land than vegan diets.
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

=3D
> Really? Tell us about your proof that this is automatically
> true. But then again, there is that word you have trouble with,
> 'use.' It's quite easy to see an omnivourous diet 'using' less
> land that man works, disturbs and causes original habitat
> destruction for your veggies. Isn't it that easy for you to see?

It is possible for omnivorous diets to be more efficient than
vegan ones. Hunting, fishing and even animal farming needn't
necessarily cause any significant habitat destruction. In practise
they usually do and my quote above is true in general terms.

> > [...]

> > [...]
> >
> > >Thank you for posting that. I now see that he doesn't actually
> > >come close to answering the question whether or not GFCs cause
> > >fewer animal deaths than vegetable production or not.

> > You have convinced me that you are entirely clueless, and
> > that you will most likely remain so for the rest of your life.
> > Not
> > at all unusual in these ngs. Here's a clue, but they never seem
> > to grasp it: some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths
> > than some types of vegetables.

> Yes.
>
> > Here's another one that you
> > won't grasp and will probably despise: some types of meat
> > provide decent lives for livestock.

> The animals used to produce some types of meat do lead decent
> lives but it is irrational to treat the lives as provided by
> the farmer for the reasons I have put forward.
>
> > Read the post on Decision-making and it will help you to
> > understand why you just can't care. "ARAs" make deliberate
> > use of cognitive dissonance, and they probably manipulated
> > you years ago. Now you're stuck...probably for life. Here's
> > something about it specifically from the same discussion
> > group:
> > __________________________________________________ _______
> > http://monkeyfilter.com/link.php/4334
> >
> > We all, all over the world, suffer from cognitive dissonance
> > regarding many issues. And no one could argue that it is a good
> > thing. Why then do we say that politicians who change their
> > minds
> > (perhaps with good reason) are "flip-flopping?" Myers points
> > out
> > that we seem to consider it "a sin to change one's mind in
> > light
> > of new information" - But isn't "the greater sin a
> > self-justifying
> > refusal to learn from mistakes?"

> I am always willing to reconsider my position when provided with
> new information or angles I have previously failed to consider.
> >
> > I wonder if there are other good examples of cognitive
> > dissonance
> > in world politics that people can think of? And, most of all, I
> > wonder how one can answer to cognitive dissonance in oneself
> > and
> > in others, especially regarding such important matters.
> >
> > posted by jb at 02:19PM UTC
> > =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

Dave

Derek wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2005 08:33:16 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> Rather, that's what I've been saying all along, but
> >> not where farmed meat is concerned because the
> >> deaths associated with it are always absolutely
> >> necessary for that meat to exist.

> >Only if you chose to hide behind a legal technicality.

> No.

Yes.

> >BTW, are you saying that any killing associated with
> >game meat is per-accidens?

> You see; you still don't get it, but that doesn't stop you
> from misrepresenting my position whenever you can,
> does it?

Don't dodge the question: Are you saying that any killing
associated with game mear is per-accidens?

> >> You have intentionally misrepresented my position
> >> by claiming my "logic says that, in this society, it is
> >> unethical to eat any sort of meat, even game or
> >> humanely farmed meat" ; you lied about me.

> >I am sorry for not being more specific.

> Your lie was very specific.
>
> >Your logic syas that,
> >in this society, it is unethical to eat any sort of meat that
> >can be purchased over the counter, even game or humanely farmed
> >meat.

> Wrong again. Where have I described humanely farmed
> meat and how to get it over the counter in a country
> where road kill and meat sourced from animals that died
> from natural causes is strictly forbidden?

If I have misrepresented you please feel free to correct me.
Do you consider it unethical to buy humanely farmed meat from
an English or American butchers or farm shop?

> >> That misrepresents my position, as you well know
> >> from what I wrote earlier;
> >>
> >> "I've no problem with meat eaters scavenging their food
> >> from road kill or from animals that have died from natural
> >> causes..."
> >> Derek Sep 7 http://tinyurl.com/bkpxm

> Can you see where my quote belies your claim about
> my position regarding road kill and animals that have
> died from natural causes, or are you going to ignore it?

I can see that I carelessly left out an important clause which
I apologise for. You believe it is unethical to eat any sort of
farmed meat that can be purchased over the counter, even if the
welfare conditions under which the animal is raised are excellent.

> >> That too is a total misrepresentation of my position.

> >That is the conclusion of your logic.

> It is YOUR false conclusion of my logic based on
> YOUR intentional misrepresentation of my position.

Your reason for making an ethcial distinction between
the purchase of conventionally grown vegetables and farmed meat
that can legally be purchased over the counter is that the animal
deaths associated with one are per-accidens while the deaths associated

with the other are per-se. If farmed meat that had died of natural
causes could legally be purchased over the counter than any death
and suffering caused by that product would become a per-accidens
property of that product.

> >You have previously claimed
> >that consumption of plantation sugar in the days of slavery was
> >in essence perfectly ethcial because the human suffering and death
> >associated with the product was per-accidens.

> If that was anywhere near the truth you would've
> provided my quote where I made such a claim.
> Once again you have totally misrepresented my
> position intentionally. Here (below) is the exact
> comment I made to yours regarding sugar;
>
> [start you (as Pesco-vegan)]
> >If you consumed plantation sugar in the days of
> >slavery, would you be responsible for supporting
> >the slave trade or just the perfectly ethical, "in
> >essence" nature of the sugar?

> [me]
> Neither.
> [end]
> Derek Sep 6 http://tinyurl.com/bf6jr
>
> One day you'll hopefully learn not to misrepresent
> your opponent, but until that time you'll remain the
> time-waster that you are.

I replied:

>"So, if our historical consumer of plantation sugar
>was not responsible for supporting the slave trade
>then it follows that the modern day omnivore is not
>responsible for supporting the meat industry."

You wrote:

"No, because the deaths associated with the meat
industry are per se while the deaths associated
with sugar are per accidens. You clearly haven't
grasped any of this at all."

The conclusion is clear.

> >> Because it and the first part of your quote totally
> >> misrepresent my position. I do not believe that
> >> it's "perfectly Ok to eat *any* meat, no matter
> >> how badly the animals it came from were treated."

> >In that case, why did you not challenge my alledged
> >misrepresentation of your position at the time
> >instead of editing what I wrote to completely alter its
> >meaning?

> The meaning of it was not altered by my removing it.
> Both parts of your quote misrepresent my position.

The meaning of the quote was completely altered by your
removal of the middle part of that quote.

> >> Then you should not have lied about my position.

> >I have not lied about it.

> You most certainly have, Pesco-vegan.

No. I haven't.

Derek

On 6 Oct 2005 10:00:18 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

[..]

>> Can you see where my quote belies your claim about
>> my position regarding road kill and animals that have
>> died from natural causes, or are you going to ignore it?

>I can see that I carelessly left out an important clause which
>I apologise for.

Then I am also correct in saying (below) that, "It is YOUR
false conclusion of my logic based on YOUR intentional
misrepresentation of my position."

>> >That is the conclusion of your logic.

>> It is YOUR false conclusion of my logic based on
>> YOUR intentional misrepresentation of my position.

>Your reason

No, YOUR reason based upon YOUR intentional
misrepresentation of my position. As you say, you
"carelessly left out an important clause".
[..]

>> >I have not lied about it.

>> You most certainly have, Pesco-vegan.

>No. I haven't.

You've just admitted that "I can see that I carelessly left
out an important clause which I apologise for." That IS
lying about my position, Pesco-vegan, and I don't believe
for one moment that it was anything to do with carelessness.
Rudy Canoza

right on cue, and as predictably as night follows day,
Dreck lied:

> On 6 Oct 2005 10:00:18 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>
>>right on cue, and as predictably as night follows day, Dreck lied:

> [..]

>>>Can you see where my quote belies your claim about
>>>my position regarding road kill and animals that have
>>>died from natural causes, or are you going to ignore it?

>>I can see that I carelessly left out an important clause which
>>I apologise for.

> Then I am also correct in saying (below) that, "It is YOUR
> false conclusion of my logic based on YOUR intentional
> misrepresentation of my position."

No, because it wasn't intentional. He UNINTENTIONALLY
omitted something.

You're a waste. You could be up in Yorkshire having a
couple dozen pints with Ray Slater right now, and
instead you're ****ing away the hours in usenet, saying
nothing at all.

Derek

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:28:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
[..]
>You're a waste. You could be up in Yorkshire having a
>couple dozen pints with Ray Slater right now, and
>instead you're ****ing away the hours in usenet, saying
>nothing at all.

It's the "English way", Jon.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it’s sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but you’re older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

*Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say*

Time - Pink Floyd

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:28:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> [..]
>
>>You're a waste. You could be up in Yorkshire having a
>>couple dozen pints with Ray Slater right now, and
>>instead you're ****ing away the hours in usenet, saying
>>nothing at all.

> It's the "English way", Jon.

I was about to say, "Isn't that a line from a Pink
Floyd song?", and then I see the confirmation below.

Is Slater still alive? He was over 60 years of age and
a heavy boozer, so I have to wonder.

> Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
> You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
> Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
> Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
>
> Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
> You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
> And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
> No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
>
> And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it’s sinking
> And racing around to come up behind you again
> The sun is the same in the relative way, but you’re older
> Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
>
> Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
> Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
>
> *Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
> The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say*
>
> Time - Pink Floyd

Derek

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:54:15 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:28:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>>>You're a waste. You could be up in Yorkshire having a
>>>couple dozen pints with Ray Slater right now, and
>>>instead you're ****ing away the hours in usenet, saying
>>>nothing at all.

>> It's the "English way", Jon.

>I was about to say, "Isn't that a line from a Pink
>Floyd song?", and then I saw the confirmation below.
>
>Is Slater still alive? He was over 60 years of age and
>a heavy boozer, so I have to wonder.

Don't forget that he had a dodgy heart as well. I had his
BTopenworld account taken from him last March, and
while he struggled along with Tiscali for a while I was
told that even that would be taken from him, but I didn't
receive any conformation from them. My guess is that
he's been dead for quite a while now.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:54:15 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:
> >> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:28:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> >> [..]

> >> It's the "English way", Jon.

> >I was about to say, "Isn't that a line from a Pink
> >Floyd song?", and then I saw the confirmation below.
> >
> >Is Slater still alive? He was over 60 years of age and
> >a heavy boozer, so I have to wonder.

> Don't forget that he had a dodgy heart as well. I had his
> BTopenworld account taken from him last March, and
> while he struggled along with Tiscali for a while I was
> told that even that would be taken from him, but I didn't
> receive any conformation from them. My guess is that
> he's been dead for quite a while now.

That's another aspect to the "English Way" that Pink Floyd didn't
address: the wildly extravagant claims about getting people "kicked
off" their ISP. I suppose it has happened, somewhere and some time,
but in my experience, the worst that happens is the ISP writes a polite
note to the user telling them what the policies are, and warning them
not to violate the policies again. I seem to recall I got one such
warning from Earthlink, but I don't remember what it was for; I think
it was for using " as the domain part of my posting
address, and the real " webmaster got ****y about it.
I know what it *wasn't* for, and that's anything Dump Slater might have
whined and moaned about to them.

I think that's actually pretty bad to try to get someone's account
yanked merely because the complainer has taken offense at something the
other guy said. Raymond never seemed to figure out that, at least in
the U.S., being offensive and nasty is *not* a violation of an ISP's
terms of service. The things that will get one kicked out of an ISP
like Earthlink are incitement to *specific* criminal behavior,
violation of civil laws against defamation (libel), and violation of
the ISP's policies about the type of material that may be posted to
specific groups. I know I wrote to a couple of the ISPs Raymond used
to complain about his posting of binary files (.jpg, .gif, etc.) to
a.a.e.v. and t.p.a., which are text-only groups by charter, but the
intent was not to get him kicked off; I just wanted them to hassle him
a bit and tell him to stop.

I do know that I enjoyed imagining Raymond turning purple with rage
over things I said for which he *wanted* to try to get Earthlink to
cancel my account. I also got absolutely *huge* amusement out of
Lesley threatening to sue me for libel, simply because I had said nasty
but *not* libelous things about her. She suddenly let the topic drop
altogether after my last "haven't heard from your solly yet..." whack
at her; I'm wondering if she perhaps did contact some bottom-feeding
solicitor, who told her "You ****ing ****! You don't post under your
real name, so no one knows who you are; *and* nothing he's written was
libelous, just nasty."

rick

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

rick wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> dh@. wrote:
>

> snips...
>

> > Not in these cases. He wanted to grow maize and wheat,
> > but
> > later
> > had to settle for rice and cassava, and after that had to
> > settle for grass
> > for livestock. They weren't feeding grain to the livestock,
> > if
> > that's what
> > you're thinking.

> No it isn't what I was thinking. I was thinking that per
> calorie,
> omnivorous
> diets use more land than vegan diets.
> =========================
> Really? Tell us about your proof that this is automatically
> true. But then again, there is that word you have trouble
> with,
> 'use.' It's quite easy to see an omnivourous diet 'using' less
> land that man works, disturbs and causes original habitat
> destruction for your veggies. Isn't it that easy for you to
> see?

It is possible for omnivorous diets to be more efficient than
vegan ones. Hunting, fishing and even animal farming needn't
necessarily cause any significant habitat destruction. In
practise
they usually do and my quote above is true in general terms.
==================
OK thanks, but that isn't what you said above, now was it?

snip...

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote

> What a lying sack of shit your are, liar Ditch. YOU DO
> believe they are analogous.

What I believe is immaterial, that fact is that your feeble attempt at using
"logical syllogisms" to prove it are an exercise in pretention and
stupidity.

Dave

Derek wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2005 10:00:18 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> [..]

The snippage of passages you presumably found too awkward to reply to
has been noted.

> >> Can you see where my quote belies your claim about
> >> my position regarding road kill and animals that have
> >> died from natural causes, or are you going to ignore it?

> >I can see that I carelessly left out an important clause which
> >I apologise for.

> Then I am also correct in saying (below) that, "It is YOUR
> false conclusion of my logic based on YOUR intentional
> misrepresentation of my position."

No. There was nothing intentional about my leaving out that clause.

Your underhand snippage has been noted. I shall reinsert the relevant
passage.

> >> That too is a total misrepresentation of my position.

> >> It is YOUR false conclusion of my logic based on
> >> YOUR intentional misrepresentation of my position.

> >Your reason

> No, YOUR reason based upon YOUR intentional
> misrepresentation of my position. As you say, you
> "carelessly left out an important clause".
> [..]

No. The clause I carelessly left out has no relevance
to the above. It is an inescapable conclusion of your
particular way of 'applying' the per-se versus per-accidens
distinction to the discussion of vegetarian ethics.

> >> You most certainly have, Pesco-vegan.

> >No. I haven't.

> You've just admitted that "I can see that I carelessly left
> out an important clause which I apologise for." That IS
> lying about my position,

No lying is an intentional act.

>Pesco-vegan, and I don't believe
> for one moment that it was anything to do with carelessness.

You believe what you like but ask yourself this: why would I
undermine my credibility with a deliberate misrepresentation
of your position when I have you on the ropes. The fact that
I have you on the ropes can be seen from the way you evaded all
the pertinent points I made in the previous post and instead
attempted to make a mountain out of a molehill.

dh@.

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:46:57 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote
>> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:51:16 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

>[...]
>>>
>>>That pretty much leaves you talking to yourself then, doesn't it?

>> No. I'm just discussing it with someone who is dishonest.

>If you can't accept simple statements of belief from me, what's the point of
>this?

Of course it all gets back to more dishonesty, and very obvious
dishonesty to me. Why would you oppose deliberately contributing
to decent AW over elimination, if you're in favor of decent AW?
Answer: You would not. Period.
So what are we left with? You supporting elimination over decent
AW, meaning you're actively supporting "AR"=Elimination.
So what's the point? I encourage decent lives for food animals,
and you oppose the suggestion because you don't want it to happen.
Since you really have no opposition to it, you amusingly make up
things about moral browny points, which you're obviously scared of
losing if you ever break down and consider the animals themselves.
You would shame yourself as an eliminationist if you allowed youself
to give a fraction of a shit about any farm animals' lives.

>>>Pretty
>>>pointless, don't you think?

><snip>
>
>>>I just don't "regard" their lives

>> No, you sure don't.

>Of course not,

We are in agreement. Damn.

>"regarding" with no object is meaningless.
>
>>>to be a
>>>moral bonus

>> You are incapable of giving them any regard at all.

>I told you above, I regard their welfare to be morally significant, NOT the
>fact that they "get to experience life" that has NO moral significance.

To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
lives as we have agreed. That gives me reason to disrespect you,
not think more highly of you. Just as you disrespect me for giving
consideration to the animals themselves, I disrespect you for being
unable to do so, and of course much more so for opposing the idea
that people who can make a habit of doing so.

>That's the Logic of the Larder,

You are the Logic of the Eliminationist Talking Pig.

>and it's false argument.

LOL. You are Charlotte's Web. You are Chicken Run. You are
Grotesque Child Sex Slave Pigs. You are against reality, but are
quick to pull any sort of grotesque fantasy out of your ass at any time.

>> Remember
>> I told you that you can't consider their lives, but only YOURSELF?

>Yet I just told you that I *do* consider their lives.

No you liar. You said that you do NOT!: "NOT the fact that they
"get to experience life" that has NO moral significance."

>Again, you're
>pummeling a strawman.

Actually, that is a different lie, but another lie just the same. You
even explained that all you give a shit about is the moral browny
points you think YOU get for considering the way they are raised.
You can't care about them. You can't give the slightest consideration
as to whether they enjoy their lives or not. As we have agreed. LOL...
we have agreed, but you still can't understand. The same is true of
the way they are raised determining whether or not life has a positive
value for them...since you can't give a shit about that aspect of it,
you must have copied it from somewhere? Where did you find it?
I'd like to read more of what that person has to say about it.

>> You just proved it again. You are so worried about losing whatever
>> imaginary moral bonus points you feel you have gained somehow,

>I'm not worried about losing "moral bonus points",

They are all you can care about.

>I'm telling you that none
>exist. Your position, The Logic of the Larder, says that humans can argue
>that raising animals for food is a "good thing" (a moral bonus)

That's all you can care about.

>because all
>these animals "get to experience life". That idea must be discarded as
>corrupt.
>
>> that you can't consider anything else. LOL...you are so purely
>> selfish it's *incredible*!

>Do you understand what the term moral significance means?

To you it means some sort of imaginary moral brownie points for YOU.
It's all you care about.

To me in this case it means: what positive or negative influence does
it have for THE ANIMALS.

>It means how what
>we do and how we think reflects upon

YOU

>us as moral beings. It means are we doing good or right,

You mean "are YOU getting enough moral brownie points

>or are we doing bad, or wrong. Morality and ethics
>*are* about

YOUr moral brownie points

>us, not the animals.

LOL! You disgusting selfish asshole! No wonder we disgust each
other. We agree that YOU only care about YOU without being able
to give any consideration whatsoever to the animals. That is completely
the opposite of how I feel about it.

I feel that we should DISREGARD our own selfish interest when
considering whether or not something is cruel TO THE ANIMALS.
I feel that we should? No, I KNOW that we must in order to actually
do it. You never will, and in fact will never even understand. How sad.

>That's not being "selfish",

It is being purely selfish, and it is the complete opposite of considering
whether or not it's cruel TO THE ANIMALS. You're just too incredibly
selfish to understand why.

>it's what we're
>talking about.

Moral browny points for YOU are all you can think about. We agree
on that. But I am the complete opposite on that, so it's not what
"we're" talking about. It's all that YOU can even think about...that's
where you're getting bewildered. I can think about MY interests too,
but I'm also aware that they are totally different than those of the
animals and I can also consider THEIRS, which you can not. Since
you can't do it at all, there's no way you could be aware of any
distinction between YOUR interests...LOL...and those of the animals.
It's pathetically funny, but God damn it's disgusting Dutch.

According to your formula, if a person who doesn't eat eggs buys
cage free eggs and gives them away, just to encourage decent lives
for laying hens, they are being shameful for deliberately contributing
to decent lives for the hens.

Derek wrote:
> If you're suggesting that animals don't hold inalienable rights
> unless someone proves it, then the same argument must be
> equally valid to conclude you don't rights either. Try again.

I have been away in business for a week.

Tell you what, ALL *ideas* to be debated, MUST have at least some link
to some THING in reality, *sensory reality*, otherwise, all you and I
would be arguing over is, YOUR imagination, (which is hardly a worthy
way to spend time, unless of course you are another christain mystic,
socialist, tribalist etal and or are keen to *invent* - un-natural laws
- to control individual human beings, rather than upholding *natural
laws* to - protect human beings - from other anti human pro animal evil
human beings, who are trying to control them) sooo if you can explain
to a mouse or a Zebra, as you can to a human, why and how its rights,
not to be a play thing for a cat/lion prior to being eaten by that
cat/lion, work, ie explain to the cat and Zebra WHO and HOW their
*rights* can be upheld, then I may consider you have more than a very
weird *imaginary idea*, to talk about, hence why I said *prove it.* Try
again.

Michael Gordge

Dutch

<dh@.> wrote

>>> You are incapable of giving them any regard at all.

>>I told you above, I regard their welfare to be morally significant, NOT
>>the
>>fact that they "get to experience life" that has NO moral significance.

> To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
> lives as we have agreed.

I told you, I consider their lives, I just don't consider that their lives
are a moral bonus for consumers. It's a corrupt argument.

[..]

>>Yet I just told you that I *do* consider their lives.

> No you liar. You said that you do NOT!: "NOT the fact that they
> "get to experience life" that has NO moral significance."

That's right, it has no moral significance, apart from concern for their
welfare.

>>Again, you're
>>pummeling a strawman.

[..]

>>I'm not worried about losing "moral bonus points",

> They are all you can care about.

Your "consideration" is a silly grab for moral brownie points, that's all it
is.

[..]

>>Do you understand what the term moral significance means?

> To you it means some sort of imaginary moral brownie points for YOU.
> It's all you care about.

I didn't think so.

[..]

> According to your formula, if a person who doesn't eat eggs buys
> cage free eggs and gives them away, just to encourage decent lives
> for laying hens, they are being shameful for deliberately contributing
> to decent lives for the hens.

Someone who gives away food is being charitable. The fact they are promoting
the lives of birds in the egg industry has no moral relevance whatsoever,
that's The Logic of the Larder.

Dave

dh@. wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:46:57 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

> ><dh@.> wrote
> >> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:51:16 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

> >[...]
> >>
> >> No. I'm just discussing it with someone who is dishonest.

> >If you can't accept simple statements of belief from me, what's the point of
> >this?

> Of course it all gets back to more dishonesty, and very obvious
> dishonesty to me. Why would you oppose deliberately contributing
> to decent AW over elimination, if you're in favor of decent AW?
> Answer: You would not. Period.
> So what are we left with? You supporting elimination over decent
> AW, meaning you're actively supporting "AR"=Elimination.
> So what's the point? I encourage decent lives for food animals,
> and you oppose the suggestion because you don't want it to happen.

My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
we raise for food to lead decent lives.

> Since you really have no opposition to it, you amusingly make up
> things about moral browny points, which you're obviously scared of
> losing if you ever break down and consider the animals themselves.
> You would shame yourself as an eliminationist if you allowed youself
> to give a fraction of a shit about any farm animals' lives.

> ><snip>

> >> No, you sure don't.

> >Of course not,

> We are in agreement. Damn.
>
> >"regarding" with no object is meaningless.

> >> You are incapable of giving them any regard at all.

> >I told you above, I regard their welfare to be morally significant, NOT the
> >fact that they "get to experience life" that has NO moral significance.

> To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
> lives as we have agreed. That gives me reason to disrespect you,
> not think more highly of you. Just as you disrespect me for giving
> consideration to the animals themselves, I disrespect you for being
> unable to do so, and of course much more so for opposing the idea
> that people who can make a habit of doing so.
>
> >That's the Logic of the Larder,

> You are the Logic of the Eliminationist Talking Pig.
>
> >and it's false argument.

> LOL. You are Charlotte's Web. You are Chicken Run. You are
> Grotesque Child Sex Slave Pigs.

I admit I have not read all your exchanges but I don't believe you
ever satisfcatorily answered Dutch's point about Child sex slaves.

dh@.

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:56:23 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote

>> According to your formula, if a person who doesn't eat eggs buys
>> cage free eggs and gives them away, just to encourage decent lives
>> for laying hens, they are being shameful for deliberately contributing
>> to decent lives for the hens.

>Someone who gives away food is being charitable. The fact they are promoting
>the lives of birds in the egg industry has no moral relevance whatsoever,

When and how did it stop being shameful?
dh@.

On 7 Oct 2005 15:31:57 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:46:57 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>

>> ><dh@.> wrote
>> >
>> >[...]
>> >
>> >If you can't accept simple statements of belief from me, what's the point of
>> >this?

>> Of course it all gets back to more dishonesty, and very obvious
>> dishonesty to me. Why would you oppose deliberately contributing
>> to decent AW over elimination, if you're in favor of decent AW?
>> Answer: You would not. Period.
>> So what are we left with? You supporting elimination over decent
>> AW, meaning you're actively supporting "AR"=Elimination.
>> So what's the point? I encourage decent lives for food animals,
>> and you oppose the suggestion because you don't want it to happen.

>My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
>we raise for food to lead decent lives.

Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
animals raised for food. You probably are too. If people consider
the fact that some farm animals benefit from farming, the elimination
objective, i.e. "AR", would no longer be considered the most
ethical approach, and veganism would be viewed with much
less respect.

>> Since you really have no opposition to it, you amusingly make up
>> things about moral browny points, which you're obviously scared of
>> losing if you ever break down and consider the animals themselves.
>> You would shame yourself as an eliminationist if you allowed youself
>> to give a fraction of a shit about any farm animals' lives.

>> ><snip>

>> >Of course not,

>> We are in agreement. Damn.
>>
>> >"regarding" with no object is meaningless.

>> >I told you above, I regard their welfare to be morally significant, NOT the
>> >fact that they "get to experience life" that has NO moral significance.

>> To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
>> lives as we have agreed. That gives me reason to disrespect you,
>> not think more highly of you. Just as you disrespect me for giving
>> consideration to the animals themselves, I disrespect you for being
>> unable to do so, and of course much more so for opposing the idea
>> that people who can make a habit of doing so.
>>
>> >That's the Logic of the Larder,

>> You are the Logic of the Eliminationist Talking Pig.
>>
>> >and it's false argument.

>> LOL. You are Charlotte's Web. You are Chicken Run. You are
>> Grotesque Child Sex Slave Pigs.

>I admit I have not read all your exchanges

Here's a sample:
From: "Dutch" >
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:04:45 -0700

Taking moral credit for a livestock animal's very existence is analagous to
taking moral credit for the life of a daughter you sell onto the streets.
>but I don't believe you
>ever satisfcatorily answered Dutch's point about Child sex slaves.

Then why don't you provide a good reason why we should think
of raising children as sex slaves and raising animals for food in the
same way? Dutch insists that we should, but he certainly has never
come close to giving a any reason why we should.
Dutch

<dh@.> wrote
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:56:23 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
>><dh@.> wrote

>>> According to your formula, if a person who doesn't eat eggs buys
>>> cage free eggs and gives them away, just to encourage decent lives
>>> for laying hens, they are being shameful for deliberately contributing
>>> to decent lives for the hens.

>>Someone who gives away food is being charitable. The fact they are
>>promoting
>>the lives of birds in the egg industry has no moral relevance whatsoever,

> When and how did it stop being shameful?

It never was shameful, it was always morally irrelevant. The shame is in
trying to take this "promoting life" concept and applying it as an anti-AR
ploy, in a shabby sophistic attempt to make animal farming and meat
consumption appear more morally acceptable. Such sophistry is shameful, not
the fact that animals experience life.

Dave

dh@. wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2005 15:31:57 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >dh@. wrote:

the

oint of

> >> Of course it all gets back to more dishonesty, and very obvious
> >> dishonesty to me. Why would you oppose deliberately contributing
> >> to decent AW over elimination, if you're in favor of decent AW?
> >> Answer: You would not. Period.
> >> So what are we left with? You supporting elimination over decent
> >> AW, meaning you're actively supporting "AR"=3DElimination.
> >> So what's the point? I encourage decent lives for food animals,
> >> and you oppose the suggestion because you don't want it to happen.

> >My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
> >we raise for food to lead decent lives.

> Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
> deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
> of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
> he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
> animals raised for food.

Both these statements are false. Dutch can correct me if I
am wrong.

> You probably are too. If people consider
> the fact that some farm animals benefit from farming, the elimination
> objective, i.e. "AR", would no longer be considered the most
> ethical approach, and veganism would be viewed with much
> less respect.
>
> >> Since you really have no opposition to it, you amusingly make up
> >> things about moral browny points, which you're obviously scared of
> >> losing if you ever break down and consider the animals themselves.
> >> You would shame yourself as an eliminationist if you allowed youself
> >> to give a fraction of a shit about any farm animals' lives.

> >> We are in agreement. Damn.

OT the

e=2E

> >> To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
> >> lives as we have agreed. That gives me reason to disrespect you,
> >> not think more highly of you. Just as you disrespect me for giving
> >> consideration to the animals themselves, I disrespect you for being
> >> unable to do so, and of course much more so for opposing the idea
> >> that people who can make a habit of doing so.

> >> You are the Logic of the Eliminationist Talking Pig.

> >> LOL. You are Charlotte's Web. You are Chicken Run. You are
> >> Grotesque Child Sex Slave Pigs.

> >I admit I have not read all your exchanges

> Here's a sample:
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: "Dutch" >
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:04:45 -0700
>
> Taking moral credit for a livestock animal's very existence is analagous =

> taking moral credit for the life of a daughter you sell onto the streets.
> =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=A F=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF
> >but I don't believe you
> >ever satisfcatorily answered Dutch's point about Child sex slaves.

> Then why don't you provide a good reason why we should think
> of raising children as sex slaves and raising animals for food in the
> same way?

"Since my daughter would not have existed if I hadn't given birth
to her, it would be a distortion of reality not to take this fact
into account."

> Dutch insists that we should, but he certainly has never
> come close to giving a any reason why we should.

Neither me nor Dutch have been arguing that we should think of
raising children as sex-slaves in the same way as raising livestock
for food. All he has done is point out that the logic of the larder
can justify selling your children onto the streets. Eg: "Since my

dh@.

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:57:40 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

><dh@.> wrote
>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:56:23 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>
>>><dh@.> wrote

>>>Someone who gives away food is being charitable. The fact they are
>>>promoting
>>>the lives of birds in the egg industry has no moral relevance whatsoever,

>> When and how did it stop being shameful?

>It never was shameful, it was always morally irrelevant. The shame is in
>trying to take this "promoting life" concept and applying it as an anti-AR
>ploy, in a shabby sophistic attempt to make animal farming and meat
>consumption appear more morally acceptable. Such sophistry is shameful, not
>the fact that animals experience life.

Oh bullshit. You believe just considering the fact that billions of animals
experience life is shameful, and that taking credit for providing decent lives
for them: "is analagous to taking moral credit for the life of a daughter you sell
onto the streets."
dh@.

On 9 Oct 2005 05:56:20 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:

>> >My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
>> >we raise for food to lead decent lives.

>> Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
>> deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
>> of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
>> he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
>> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
>> animals raised for food.

>Both these statements are false.

No they are not. He believes it's shameful even to consider the fact
that the animals owe their lives to the fact that we raise them for food,
because of something to do with imaginary moral brownie points. And
his main objective is to oppose the suggestion that people deliberately
contribute to decent lives for food animals INSTEAD OF trying not to
contribute to any...becoming veg*ns....becoming "ARAs". That being
the case, it's pretty damn obvious he is opposed to people considering
that any alternative(s) could be ethically equivalent or superior to the
elimination of animals raised for food. Unless of course you can think
of some alternative(s) which would be ethically equivalent...to
eliminating animals raised for food, but would not involve deliberately
providing them with decent lives.

>Dutch can

Possibly figure some way to lie about it, but I can't figure out how
he can lie his way out of it this one...or really why he would try.

>correct me if I
>am wrong.
>
>> You probably are too. If people consider
>> the fact that some farm animals benefit from farming, the elimination
>> objective, i.e. "AR", would no longer be considered the most
>> ethical approach, and veganism would be viewed with much
>> less respect.

>> >I admit I have not read all your exchanges

>> Here's a sample:
>> __________________________________________________ _______
>> From: "Dutch" >
>> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:04:45 -0700
>>
>> Taking moral credit for a livestock animal's very existence is analagous to
>> taking moral credit for the life of a daughter you sell onto the streets.
>> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
>> >but I don't believe you
>> >ever satisfcatorily answered Dutch's point about Child sex slaves.

>> Then why don't you provide a good reason why we should think
>> of raising children as sex slaves and raising animals for food in the
>> same way?

>"Since my daughter would not have existed if I hadn't given birth
>to her

for the specific reason of using her as a sex slave

> it would be a distortion of reality not to take this fact
>into account."
>
>> Dutch insists that we should, but he certainly has never
>> come close to giving a any reason why we should.

>Neither me nor Dutch have been arguing that we should think of
>raising children as sex-slaves in the same way as raising livestock
>for food. All he has done is point out that the logic of the larder
>can justify selling your children onto the streets. Eg: "Since my
>daughter would not have existed if I hadn't given birth to her, it
>would be a distortion of reality not to take this fact into account."

That would only be true if the ONLY reason she had been born
was so she could be used as a sex slave. Since I don't think of
raising animals for food and raising children as sex slaves in the
same way BECAUSE there is such a huge difference between
the way life would be for the beings involved, your fantasy about
child sex slaves, and even sex slave pigs, is nothing but more
"AR" grotesque distortions of the truth. Along the same lines as
the retarded fantasies about children killing their parents and then
crying about being orphans....you people just want to change the
subject to something you feel people will consider worse, and
insist that it should be thought of in the same way. If you don't
want it to be thought of in the same way, why in the **** would
you even try to make the comparison?

Answer: you would not.
Dutch

"Dave" > wrote

dh@. wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2005 15:31:57 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >dh@. wrote:

> >> Of course it all gets back to more dishonesty, and very obvious
> >> dishonesty to me. Why would you oppose deliberately contributing
> >> to decent AW over elimination, if you're in favor of decent AW?
> >> Answer: You would not. Period.
> >> So what are we left with? You supporting elimination over decent
> >> AW, meaning you're actively supporting "AR"=Elimination.
> >> So what's the point? I encourage decent lives for food animals,
> >> and you oppose the suggestion because you don't want it to happen.

> >My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
> >we raise for food to lead decent lives.

> Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
> deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
> of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
> he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
> animals raised for food.

Both these statements are false. Dutch can correct me if I
am wrong.

You're not wrong, but you need to understand ****wit's code. "Deliberately
contributing to decent lives for food animals" to the average person means
choosing pastured or free-range over intensively-farmed products. When he
says it he means 'consuming animal products with the idea that livestock can
"get to experience life"'. In that respect he is correct, I oppose that kind
of "Logic of the Larder" thinking.

> You probably are too. If people consider
> the fact that some farm animals benefit from farming, the elimination
> objective, i.e. "AR", would no longer be considered the most
> ethical approach, and veganism would be viewed with much
> less respect.
>
> >> Since you really have no opposition to it, you amusingly make up
> >> things about moral browny points, which you're obviously scared of
> >> losing if you ever break down and consider the animals themselves.
> >> You would shame yourself as an eliminationist if you allowed youself
> >> to give a fraction of a shit about any farm animals' lives.

> >> We are in agreement. Damn.

> >> To you, because you are incapable of considering the animals'
> >> lives as we have agreed. That gives me reason to disrespect you,
> >> not think more highly of you. Just as you disrespect me for giving
> >> consideration to the animals themselves, I disrespect you for being
> >> unable to do so, and of course much more so for opposing the idea
> >> that people who can make a habit of doing so.

> >> You are the Logic of the Eliminationist Talking Pig.

> >> LOL. You are Charlotte's Web. You are Chicken Run. You are
> >> Grotesque Child Sex Slave Pigs.

> >I admit I have not read all your exchanges

> Here's a sample:
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: "Dutch" >
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:04:45 -0700
>
> Taking moral credit for a livestock animal's very existence is analagous
> taking moral credit for the life of a daughter you sell onto the streets.
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> >but I don't believe you
> >ever satisfcatorily answered Dutch's point about Child sex slaves.

> Then why don't you provide a good reason why we should think
> of raising children as sex slaves and raising animals for food in the
> same way?

"Since my daughter would not have existed if I hadn't given birth
to her, it would be a distortion of reality not to take this fact
into account."

> Dutch insists that we should, but he certainly has never
> come close to giving a any reason why we should.

Neither me nor Dutch have been arguing that we should think of
raising children as sex-slaves in the same way as raising livestock
for food. All he has done is point out that the logic of the larder
can justify selling your children onto the streets. Eg: "Since my
daughter would not have existed if I hadn't given birth to her, it
would be a distortion of reality not to take this fact into account."

Exactly right.

Dutch

<dh@.> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 15:57:40 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

>><dh@.> wrote

>>> When and how did it stop being shameful?

>>It never was shameful, it was always morally irrelevant. The shame is in
>>trying to take this "promoting life" concept and applying it as an anti-AR
>>ploy, in a shabby sophistic attempt to make animal farming and meat
>>consumption appear more morally acceptable. Such sophistry is shameful,
>>not
>>the fact that animals experience life.

> Oh bullshit.

No. It's not shameful that animals we breed 'experience life', nor is it
shameful to be aware of it. It's just corrupt to *use* the fact to assuage
your guilt or derive pride, as the case may be.

> You believe just considering the fact that billions of animals
> experience life is shameful,

The shame is in what you imply by the word "considering", you mean that we
derive pride and justification from the fact.

> and that taking credit for providing decent lives
> for them: "is analagous to taking moral credit for the life of a daughter
> you sell
> onto the streets."

You're equivocating, stop it.

Providing "decent lives" is the opposite of providing "bad lives", *that* is
admirable. You're twisting it to mean the opposite of providing "no lives",
that is sophism.

You're not fooling anyone here David. 99% of the people ignore you, the few
that respond can see through you.

Dutch

<dh@.> wrote

>He believes it's shameful even to consider the fact
> that the animals owe their lives to the fact that we raise them for food,

Yes, it's bloody shameful to think that an animal you raise to kill and eat
"owes" you some kind of debt.

Stop promoting this garbage.

captain ahab

pearl wrote:
>>I am an advocate of unfettered capitalism because
>>capitalism IS based upon the moral premise of people trading lessor for
>>greater value (the nature of man),

> 'Capitalism originated in, and would have been impossible
> without, imperialism, colonization, the international slave
> trade, genocide, and large-scale environmental destruction.

Bullshit. Capitalism would've flourished quite well without slavery and
without colonialization. Free markets aren't incumbent on slavery, and
never were. Slavery is the antithesis of capitalism because enslaved
humans are wholly or partially uncompensated for their goods and
services (including their labor).

Communism likewise enslaves its captives because workers and producers
are unable to set prices for goods, services, labor, etc. It's ironic
that the colonization claim is made against capitalism given the land-
and labor-grabs made by communist and socialist nations in the last
century. Russia's communization extended to the conquest of its
neighbors and throughout eastern Europe. China annexed Tibet. The
Soviets weren't content with Cuba as an ally and sought to bring Central
America into its axis. Etc.

> Organized around profit

*Everything* is "organized around profit." You would do something else
if you weren't able to make ends meet from rubbing smelly old feet, and
you would do so because you operate in a capitalist economy. You may
still have to do that someday when the government wakes up to the sham
that you charlatans have been peddling on taxpayer-funded health care
(and your foot massages aren't health care).

> and power imperatives, capitalism
> is a system of slavery, exploitation, class hierarchy and
> inequality, violence, and forced labor.

Glad to see ALF parrots Marx and Lenin verbatim. I'm not surprised.
captain ahab

pearl wrote:
>>>'Capitalism originated in, and would have been impossible
>>>without, imperialism, colonization, the international slave
>>>trade,

>>If all of the wealth of the Black Americans was pooled, it would
>>be the seventh most wealthy economy in the world today, not bad for
>>a race whose ancestors were slaves eh?

> Predictably, if shockingly, you are trying to justify slavery.

Strawman. He's not trying to justify slavery, he's only making a point
with respect to the wild-assed claim you made via ALF's website.

>>I reckon there's litterally millions of black Americans who are
>>as pleased as punch that their ancestors were chosen as slaves.

> Watched the news lately?

Are you suggesting the loafing dumb asses who refused to leave New
Orleans reflect the apex in the Black American experience and thought?
You're an even bigger moron (and a racist, too) than I thought you were
if you do. The Black American experience isn't monolithic, Lesley.
dh@.

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:28:02 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

>"Dave" > wrote
>
>dh@. wrote:

>> >My interpretation of Dutch's posts is that he does want the animals
>> >we raise for food to lead decent lives.

>> Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
>> deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
>> of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
>> he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
>> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
>> animals raised for food.

>Both these statements are false. Dutch can correct me if I
>am wrong.
>
>You're not wrong,

Yes he is, as you continue to prove.

>but you need to understand ****wit's code. "Deliberately
>contributing to decent lives for food animals" to the average person means
>choosing pastured or free-range over intensively-farmed products.

But to "ARAs" it means considering that any alternative(s)
could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
animals raised for food as I pointed out, and it scares the hell
out of them. Dutch is obviously one of the most terrified by
the suggestion.

Even to the "average person" deliberately contributing to
decent lives for food animals would necessarily require giving
some consideration to the lives of the animals, and if a person
is going to think it through some more he might conclude that:
From: "Dutch" >
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:27:48 -0700

The method of husbandry determines
whether or not the life has positive or negative value to the animal.
Dutch copied that someplace and posted for some strange
reason. I would like to learn where he copied from, of course
because that's the way that I obviously feel about it. It's
strange that Dutch posted it because he quite obviously does
not believe it, and is very opposed to me encouraging people
to consider the fact when contemplating human influence on
animals.

[...]
>Neither me nor Dutch have been arguing that we should think of
>raising children as sex-slaves in the same way as raising livestock
>for food.

Then why bring up the retarded fantasy at all? Why make up
a fantasy, and then present it, and then insist that we not compare
it to what we're discussing?
Dutch

<dh@.> wrote
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:28:02 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

>>"Dave" > wrote

[..]

>>> Dutch is extremely opposed to the suggestion that people
>>> deliberately contribute to decent lives for food animals, instead
>>> of doing nothing for them by becoming veg*n. That's because
>>> he is opposed to people considering that any alternative(s)
>>> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
>>> animals raised for food.

>>Both these statements are false. Dutch can correct me if I
>>am wrong.
>>
>>You're not wrong,

> Yes he is, as you continue to prove.
>
>>but you need to understand ****wit's code. "Deliberately
>>contributing to decent lives for food animals" to the average person means
>>choosing pastured or free-range over intensively-farmed products.

> But to "ARAs" it means considering that any alternative(s)
> could be ethically equivalent or superior to the elimination of
> animals raised for food as I pointed out, and it scares the hell
> out of them.

It doesn't scare them, they think it's unethical.

> Dutch is obviously one of the most terrified by
> the suggestion.

That's an obvious lie, I eat meat every day. I had chicken for supper last
night and bacon for breakfast today.

> Even to the "average person" deliberately contributing to
> decent lives for food animals would necessarily require giving
> some consideration to the lives of the animals,

"Some consideration" does not include extracting moral credit from the fact
that they "experience life".

and if a person
> is going to think it through some more he might conclude that:
> __________________________________________________ _______
> From: "Dutch" >
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:27:48 -0700
>
> The method of husbandry determines
> whether or not the life has positive or negative value to the animal.
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> Dutch copied that someplace and posted for some strange
> reason. I would like to learn where he copied from, of course
> because that's the way that I obviously feel about it. It's
> strange that Dutch posted it because he quite obviously does
> not believe it, and is very opposed to me encouraging people
> to consider the fact when contemplating human influence on
> animals.

"Contemplating" does not include extracting moral credit from the fact that
they "experience life".

[...]
>>Neither me nor Dutch have been arguing that we should think of
>>raising children as sex-slaves in the same way as raising livestock
>>for food.

> Then why bring up the retarded fantasy at all? Why make up
> a fantasy, and then present it, and then insist that we not compare
> it to what we're discussing?

We are discussing the type of thinking that says "life" can be used as a
justification for killing. That's YOUR position. In that context the analogy
exists. Raising children as sex-slaves is not the same as raising livestock
for food, but if using *life* as a justification for killing is a
possibility then it must be considered in both cases, since in both cases we
"provide life".

pearl

"captain ahab" > wrote in message ...

How long have you been released from the asylum for
this time 'usual suspect' > ?

> pearl wrote:
> >>I am an advocate of unfettered capitalism because
> >>capitalism IS based upon the moral premise of people trading lessor for
> >>greater value (the nature of man),

> > 'Capitalism originated in, and would have been impossible
> > without, imperialism, colonization, the international slave
> > trade, genocide, and large-scale environmental destruction.

> Bullshit. Capitalism would've flourished quite well without slavery and
> without colonialization. Free markets aren't incumbent on slavery, and
> never were. > Slavery is the antithesis of capitalism because enslaved
> humans are wholly or partially uncompensated for their goods and
> services (including their labor).

Read it again.

' The victory of the North over the South in the U.S. Civil
War represented the victory of the capitalist system over
the slave system. It represented the triumph of the capitalist
form of using people as a means of creating wealth. Under
the system of outright slavery, the slave is literally the property
of the slaveowner. Under capitalism, slavery becomes
wage-slavery: The exploited class of workers is not owned
by the exploiting class of capitalists (the owners of factories,
land, etc.), but the workers are in a position where they must
sell their ability to work to a capitalist in order to earn a wage.
Capitalism needs a mass of workers that is "free," in a two-fold
sense: They must be "free" of all means to live (all means of
production), except their ability to work; and they must not
be bound to a particular owner, a particular site, a particular
guild, etc. --- they must be "free" to do whatever work is
demanded of them, they must be "free" to move from place
to place, and "free" to be hired and fired according to the
needs of capital! If they cannot enrich a capitalist through
working, then the workers cannot work, they cannot earn
a wage. But even if they cannot find a capitalist to exploit
their labor, even if they are unemployed, they still remain
under the domination of the capitalist class and of the
process of capitalist accumulation of wealth--the proletarians
(the workers) are dependent on the capitalist class and the
capitalist system for their very lives, so long as the capitalist
rules. It is this rule, this system of exploitation, that the U.S.
Constitution has upheld and enforced, all the more so after
outright slavery was abolished through the Civil War.
http://rwor.org/a/v19/930-39/939/constit.htm

<malicious, vindictive, psychopathic slander snipped>