Steve

Default "Eat more beans" to stop cancer

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4247984.stm

------------------
'Eat more beans' to stop cancer

Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compound

A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent
cancer, believe UK researchers.

Scientists at University College London have discovered that these
everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.

This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer
Research journal.

The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this
compound in an anti-cancer drug.

Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as
beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer
Researcher Dr Marco Falasca

Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as
a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been
difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and
toxicity.

Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural
compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most
legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the
enzyme.

When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they
found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of
other cancer-killing drugs.

In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional
chemotherapy agents.

Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched
in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent
cancer.

"Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate
inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able
to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients
Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK

"We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer
tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."

Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
beans and peas.

"Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
in properly controlled clinical trials."

He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
cancers

"What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
cancer."

George Cherry

"Steve" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> From:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4247984.stm
>
> ------------------
> 'Eat more beans' to stop cancer
>
> Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compound
>
> A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent
> cancer, believe UK researchers.
>
> Scientists at University College London have discovered that these
> everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.
>
> This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer
> Research journal.
>
> The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this
> compound in an anti-cancer drug.
>

> Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as
> beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer
> Researcher Dr Marco Falasca
>
> Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as
> a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been
> difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and
> toxicity.
>
> Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural
> compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most
> legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the
> enzyme.
>
> When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they
> found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of
> other cancer-killing drugs.
>
> In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional
> chemotherapy agents.
>
> Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched
> in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent
> cancer.
>
> "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate
> inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.
>

> The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able
> to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients
> Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK
>
> "We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer
> tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."
>
> Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
> when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
> in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
> beans and peas.
>
> "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
> pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
> in properly controlled clinical trials."
>
> He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
> lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
> cancers
>
> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
> cancer."

Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

George

C. James Strutz

"George Cherry" > wrote in
message . ..

> [...]
>>
>> Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
>> when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
>> in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
>> beans and peas.
>>
>> "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
>> pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
>> in properly controlled clinical trials."
>>
>> He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
>> lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
>> cancers
>>
>> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
>> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
>> cancer."

> Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
> pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

Somebody's study shows that diets high in such foods reduces IQ points by at
least 20%. Consider yourself lucky that the diminished percentage is
relatively small since your base score was low to begin with.

Jerry Story

Beans, beans, good for your heart.
The more you eat, the more you ____.

Beach Runner

Dick Malchik wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:13:16 -0400, "George Cherry"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Steve" > wrote in message
groups.com...

> [...]
>>>
>>>Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
>>>when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
>>>in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
>>>beans and peas.
>>>
>>>"Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
>>>pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
>>>in properly controlled clinical trials."
>>>
>>>He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
>>>lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
>>>cancers
>>>
>>>"What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
>>>portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
>>>cancer."

>>Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
>>pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

Beans have fiber, which is a major difference. They also have
phytochemicalsl, to various degrees.

>>George
>>

> You can strongly assert the fowl, pork, beef, and lamb at the market
> did NOT die from cancer!

Juhana Harju

Jerry Story wrote:
: Beans, beans, good for your heart.
: The more you eat, the more you ____.

Smile?

--
Juhana

D.E.

>>> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
>>> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
>>> cancer."

>> Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
>> pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

> Somebody's study shows that diets high in such foods reduces IQ points by
> at least 20%. Consider yourself lucky that the diminished percentage is
> relatively small since your base score was low to begin with.

I am vegetarian, so I used drugs to lower my IQ points.
I like to stay normal ;o)

D.E.

"Just Cocky" > schreef in bericht
> On 15 Sep 2005 10:10:15 -0700, "Steve" > wrote:
>>
>>'Eat more beans' to stop cancer
>>

> Hmm, I wonder what the effect on Global Warming will be, with all that
> additional gas...

Hmm I always wondered that.
Also with carbonated water and softdrinks,
They release CO2 in the armosphere, so how much
do those soda drinkers contribute? ;o)

This is nothing .. new ..

This is just IP6 / inositol hexakisphosphate .. and this substance has
been spoken to for the last few years ..

Since it is an iron chelator .. and since iron chelators are being used
in cancer .. the fact that it seems to work .. in .. cancer .. is ..
not .. very .. surprising ..

I find it amusing that some .. FIND .. it to .. BE .. something .. new

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

People consuming dairy products are simply adding fuel to the cancer
cells.

Dairy contains IGF-1 (a hormone shared by cows and people) and some of
it survives digestion to become systemic.

By age 40 *ALL* people regardless of diet, race, or climate have cancer
cells. Whether these cells begin to proliferate depends on hormonal
instruction.

Normally bioactive IGF-1 decreases with age (being locked to proteins
and therefore inactive) reducing the ability of cancers to grow. Add
IGF-1 from dairy and your cancer cells may start proliferating.