Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:24:30 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> >Derek wrote:

> >> Meat-labeling guidelines

> >No such thing.

> Yes, there are.
>
> >Standard commercial law means that if a package says
> >"100%" anything, it must be true.

> Then all those non-cruelty and 100% animal free and
> friendly goods on the supermarket shelves are telling
> the truth?

As far as saying they don't contain animal parts (to the best of the
producers' knowledge) and were not *directly* tested on animals,
probably so. That's a weak claim, though.

Derek

On 7 Sep 2005 11:27:06 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >That is the proposal.

>> And found on usda's web site

>It is not a standard

Nevertheless, whatever you might claim it to be, it
was evidence put before Harrison that came from
U.S.D.A., so you were wrong to declare "false"
when you did. I don't expect you to admit it, but
the facts are there to see that you were in error.

>> >No. You're lying. I asked for an ADOPTED standard.
>> >That proposal has not been adopted.

>> There is no adopted standard, so when asking me to
>> produce the standard supporting my claims you were
>> in fact asking me for the standard I gave you

>No.

Yes.

>> >No, TRUE. Western Grasslands in California, and
>> >Slanker's Grass-fed in Texas both sell beef that is
>> >100% grass fed; ZERO grain.

>> I don't believe Western Grasslands in California,

>You have no reason NOT to believe them.

I have no evidence other than his word, so I've
every GOOD reason not to believe him. I would
be a fool to rely on anecdotal evidence to base
any conclusions upon. You should know that.

>> just as equally as you refuse to believe statements made
>> by Kent Lundberg concerning his collateral death-free
>> rice.

>He did not say his rice is "collateral death-free". You are lying
>again.

Nevertheless, you refused to believe what this
producer claimed about his product, just as I'm
refusing to believe the claims of the producer you
put forward here now. You lose. Evidence from
U.S.D.A. reveals that grass fed beef animals are
fed grains at the feedlot like any other steer, and
I'm not obliged to believe anything else apart from
that without good reason. Anecdotal evidence is
not good reason.
Derek

On 7 Sep 2005 11:24:43 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >It doesn't mean what you're saying it means.

>> It means that ALL "New participants in USDA Certified
>> or USDA Verified programs will be required to adhere
>> to the United States Standards for Livestock and Meat
>> Marketing Claims immediately

>It doesn't mean that producers must be participants in those programs

It means that the ones that are are feeding their
grass fed beef animals grains at the feedlot like
any other steer, and that they are freely entitled
to sell their beef as grass fed beef, knowingly
deceiving their customers and ruining your most
beloved collateral deaths rant in a single stroke.

>you ****wit.

Oh dear. Down there already, are we.

>It STILL is only a proposed standard. It has not been adopted.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]

and

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following proposed United
States Standards for Livestock and Meat Marketing Claims. New
participants in USDA Certified or USDA Verified programs will be
required to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims immediately."

>You lied.

Evidence from U.S.D.A. and the comments from disgruntled
beef producers proves otherwise.
Derek

On 7 Sep 2005 11:28:01 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >The proposed standard has not been adopted.

>> "The proposed marketing claim standards

>...has not been adopted.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]

and

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following proposed United
States Standards for Livestock and Meat Marketing Claims. New
participants in USDA Certified or USDA Verified programs will be
required to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims immediately."

>You lied.

Evidence from U.S.D.A. and the comments from disgruntled
beef producers proves otherwise.
Derek

On 7 Sep 2005 11:29:38 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:24:30 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

[..]
>> >Standard commercial law means that if a package says
>> >"100%" anything, it must be true.

>> Then all those non-cruelty and 100% animal free and
>> friendly goods on the supermarket shelves are telling
>> the truth?

>As far as saying they don't contain animal parts (to the best of the
>producers' knowledge) and were not *directly* tested on animals,
>probably so. That's a weak claim, though.

I rang Tescos a while ago, and the area manager
told me that all the foods I buy there are 100%
CD-free. Amazing! All that guilt (hah) lifted off
and was taken away like it was never even there
to begin with.

Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On 7 Sep 2005 11:29:38 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
> >Derek lied:
> >> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:24:30 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> [..]
> >>
> >> Then all those non-cruelty and 100% animal free and
> >> friendly goods on the supermarket shelves are telling
> >> the truth?

> >As far as saying they don't contain animal parts (to the best of the
> >producers' knowledge) and were not *directly* tested on animals,
> >probably so. That's a weak claim, though.

> I rang Tescos a while ago

No, you didn't; you're lying again.

Derek

On 7 Sep 2005 12:16:08 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:

>Derek wrote:

>> [..]

>> >As far as saying they don't contain animal parts (to the best of the
>> >producers' knowledge) and were not *directly* tested on animals,
>> >probably so. That's a weak claim, though.

>> I rang Tescos a while ago

>No, you didn't; you're lying again.

The argument remains the same whether I'm lying or not.
You cannot rely on anecdotal evidence to reach a sound
conclusion, and that's exactly what you want me to do
while urging me to accept your claim as true. Throw again.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On 7 Sep 2005 12:16:08 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>
> >Derek lied:
> >> [..]

> >> I rang Tescos a while ago

> >No, you didn't; you're lying again.

> The argument remains the same whether I'm lying or not.

No, it doesn't. Tesco wouldn't make such a claim even if you did call
them, which you didn't. Thanks for admitting you lied.

The nature of markets and business is such that firms, on average,
cannot get away with lying; especially relatively small firms in
competitive markets, when those firms are trying to establish a name
that the public will treat as synonymous with quality. If you opened
Derk's Grass-Fed Butcher Shoppe, we'd know that you're lying, because
you have no name to protect.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2005 11:27:06 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>And found on usda's web site

>>It is not a standard

> Nevertheless, whatever you might claim it to be, it
> was evidence put before Harrison that came from
> U.S.D.A., so you were wrong to declare "false"
> when you did. I don't expect you to admit it, but
> the facts are there to see that you were in error.

>>>There is no adopted standard, so when asking me to
>>>produce the standard supporting my claims you were
>>>in fact asking me for the standard I gave you

>>No.

> Yes.

>>>I don't believe Western Grasslands in California,

>>You have no reason NOT to believe them.

> I have no evidence other than his word, so I've
> every GOOD reason not to believe him. I would
> be a fool to rely on anecdotal evidence to base
> any conclusions upon. You should know that.
>

>>>just as equally as you refuse to believe statements made
>>>by Kent Lundberg concerning his collateral death-free
>>>rice.

>>He did not say his rice is "collateral death-free". You are lying
>>again.

> Nevertheless, you refused to believe what this
> producer claimed about his product

Because the nature of his claim is absurd. He doesn't
know anything about collateral deaths; the sleazily
loaded question put to him by that **** Lesley is the
first he had ever even *thought* about it. He doesn't
know about CDs, but he's bright enough to see the
implication of it when it's introduced to him, so he
splutters some bullshit about "exaggeration" and the
great care they take not to kill some ducks (but no
mention of other birds, or reptiles, or amphibians...)

By contrast, Ernest Phinney's claims about Western
Grassland's grass-fed beef are based on THE
DISTINGUISHING characteristic of his product: that the
beef is from animals who were *only* fed grass. In
contrast to the caught-by-surprise,
deer-in-the-headlights Kent Lundberg, Mr. Phinney knows
*all* about feeding grass, and only grass, to cattle -
it is the very basis for the existence of his company.

Mr. Phinney knows about value of preserving the meaning
of "grass-fed" as a marketing claim, and his company is
predicated on the notion that grass-fed means *only*
grass-fed. Lundberg, caught entirely off-guard by
Lesley's loaded and sleazy and undoubtedly dishonestly
composed question, didn't know what he was talking
about concerning CDs.

That's just how it is, Dreck.
pearl

"Rudy Canoza" > wrote in message ink.net...
> Derek wrote:

<..>
> > Nevertheless, you refused to believe what this
> > producer claimed about his product

> Because the nature of his claim is absurd. He doesn't
> know anything about collateral deaths; the sleazily
> loaded question put to him

> Lundberg, caught entirely off-guard by
> Lesley's loaded and sleazy and undoubtedly dishonestly
> composed question, didn't know what he was talking
> about concerning CDs.

This is what I wrote Lundberg:

"It has come to my attention that during the harvesting of rice,
birds and amphibians may be caught up in the machinery. I
have heard to my horror and dismay, from one source- an
'organic' rice farmer, that it can get very messy indeed. "

Their reply:

"There is an "article" circulating on the Internet that describes how
thousands of frogs and other animals are killed in the mechanized
harvesting of grain crops. This "collateral animal deaths" story is an
elaborate hoax. The author, a "Texas organic rice farmer" is a gifted
writer, but he should use his talents elsewhere.

The author's numbers describe a plague of frogs of biblical
proportions. However, it is questionable if he has even been on a rice
farm. The major point that our author has missed is that rice fields
are harvested dry. The irrigation water is drained, and the ground is
left to dry before the harvesters go out in the field (otherwise, they'd
sink in the mud). There just aren't that many amphibians in the field.

Regrettably, there probably are some small animal deaths. However, the
number of deaths in a mile of rice harvesting pales in comparison to the
road kill on a mile of highway. Harvesters move slowly, and they are
not the high speed machines described in this article.

At Lundberg Family Farms, we care deeply for the animals that we share
our fields with. For example, every spring before field work begins, we
search the fields for nests, rescuing eggs for a local incubation
centers (mature pairs re-nest when the nests are disturbed like this).
After hatching, the fledglings are raised and released back into the
wild. Last year, we rescued over 3,000 duck eggs. After harvest, we
flood our fields to provide habitat for winter migratory birds and
waterfowl. They eat the rice that is left in the fields and contribute
fertilizer for next spring. There are autumn days when the sky is
blackened by canadian geese (and the sound is beautiful)! We see ducks,
geese, cranes, rails, pheasants, egrets, herons, swans, and even bald
eagles resting in our fields.

We are committed to sustainable and organic farming techniques. We see
our farming operation as a "partnership with nature," and would not
continue if rice harvesting resulted in the "death toll" that this hoax
suggests.

--> Kent Lundberg.

Kent Lundberg
Lundberg Family Farms
http://www.lundberg.com

Judge for yourselves. End of my participation in this thread.

Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:06:26 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>It is not a standard

>> Nevertheless, whatever you might claim it to be, it
>> was evidence put before Harrison that came from
>> U.S.D.A., so you were wrong to declare "false"
>> when you did. I don't expect you to admit it, but
>> the facts are there to see that you were in error.

I'll take your lack of a response as tact admission.

>>>No.

>> Yes.

And there.

>>>You have no reason NOT to believe them.

>> I have no evidence other than his word, so I've
>> every GOOD reason not to believe him. I would
>> be a fool to rely on anecdotal evidence to base
>> any conclusions upon. You should know that.

And there.

>>>He did not say his rice is "collateral death-free". You are lying
>>>again.

>> Nevertheless, you refused to believe what this
>> producer claimed about his product

>Because the nature of his claim is absurd.

No, it is not absurd. If Kent Lundberg claims that
he goes to great lengths to avoid causing collateral
deaths while producing his rice, then I have no
reason to believe that that claim is absurd or a lie.

>He doesn't know anything about collateral deaths

Now who's being absurd, Jon?

> the sleazily loaded question put to him by that **** Lesley

Keep a lid on it for five minutes if you can.

> He doesn't know about CDs

Yet he makes it quite clear in his statements on the
subject that he does his best to avoid them. To
now claim that he doesn't even know what they are
is absurd, and you know it.

>By contrast, Ernest Phinney's claims about Western
>Grassland's grass-fed beef are based on

... anecdotal evidence and U.S.D.A.'s definition
of grass fed beef that allows him to finish his so-
called grass fed beef animals on grains in a feedlot
along with all the regular steers, and still declare
them as grass fed animals. The proposed minimum
requirement was issued on December 20, 2002
and

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

As we can see, the proposed market claim standard
can be and has been adopted by grass fed beef
producers since 2002.
Rudy Canoza

pearl wrote:

> The author's numbers describe a plague of frogs of biblical
> proportions. However, it is questionable if he has even been on a rice
> farm. The major point that our author has missed is that rice fields
> are harvested dry. The irrigation water is drained,

Causing the amphibians to die...

> and the ground is
> left to dry before the harvesters go out in the field (otherwise, they'd
> sink in the mud). There just aren't that many amphibians in the field.

No - they've already left.

> Regrettably, there probably are some small animal deaths. However, the
> number of deaths in a mile of rice harvesting pales in comparison to the
> road kill on a mile of highway. Harvesters move slowly, and they are
> not the high speed machines described in this article.

diderot did not describe "high speed" machines. And
Lundberg has no idea how many animals are killed on
highways, nor how many are killed in his fields.

> At Lundberg Family Farms, we care deeply for the animals that we share
> our fields with.

Well, isn't that SPECIAL!
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:06:26 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek lied:

>>>Nevertheless, whatever you might claim it to be, it
>>>was evidence put before Harrison that came from
>>>U.S.D.A., so you were wrong to declare "false"
>>>when you did. I don't expect you to admit it, but
>>>the facts are there to see that you were in error.

> I'll take your lack of a response as tact admission.

No, dumb-ass.

>>>Yes.

> And there.

No. I asked you for a standard, not a proposal. You
furnished a proposal that has NOT been adopted.

The proposed standard has not been adopted.

>>>I have no evidence other than his word, so I've
>>>every GOOD reason not to believe him. I would
>>>be a fool to rely on anecdotal evidence to base
>>>any conclusions upon. You should know that.

> And there.

**** off, Dreck. You posted the same bullshit half a
dozen times. Not responding to one of them doesn't
constitute an admission.

Grow up.

>>>Nevertheless, you refused to believe what this
>>>producer claimed about his product

>>Because the nature of his claim is absurd.

> No, it is not absurd.

It IS absurd. He doesn't really know anything about
CDs at all.

> If Kent Lundberg claims that
> he goes to great lengths to avoid causing collateral
> deaths while producing his rice,

He did NOT claim that, you liar.

>>He doesn't know anything about collateral deaths

> Now who's being absurd, Jon?

He didn't even think about it until getting that
horseshit e-mail from Lesley.

>>He doesn't know about CDs

> Yet he makes it quite clear in his statements on the
> subject that he does his best to avoid them.

No, he does not. He doesn't say anything like that.
Here's all he says, and it's clearly self-serving:

[...]

There is NOTHING in that to suggest that they "do their
best" to avoid killing animals. The ONLY efforts they
take are to move some migratory waterfowl nests,
because for some reason waterfowl get the attention of
the whole-grain-goodness clueless urbanites of San
Francisco and Berkeley, not much more than an hour away
from where Lundberg grows rice. They don't do ANYTHING
to relocate and avoid killing frogs, salamanders, mice,
gophers, voles and other vertebrates.

>>By contrast, Ernest Phinney's claims about Western
>>Grassland's grass-fed beef are based on

> ... anecdotal evidence

No.

By contrast, Ernest Phinney's claims about Western
Grassland's grass-fed beef are based on THE
DISTINGUISHING characteristic of his product: that the
beef is from animals who were *only* fed grass. In
contrast to the caught-by-surprise,
deer-in-the-headlights Kent Lundberg, Mr. Phinney knows
*all* about feeding grass, and only grass, to cattle -
it is the very basis for the existence of his company.

Mr. Phinney knows about value of preserving the meaning
of "grass-fed" as a marketing claim, and his company is
predicated on the notion that grass-fed means *only*
grass-fed. Lundberg, caught entirely off-guard by
Lesley's loaded and sleazy and undoubtedly dishonestly
composed question, didn't know what he was talking
about concerning CDs.
Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:54:32 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>The proposed standard has not been adopted.

The proposed minimum requirement was issued on
December 20, 2002

and

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

As we can see, the proposed market claim standard
can be and has been adopted by grass fed beef
producers since 2002. This means that so-called grass
fed producers have been selling grain finished beef while
at the same claiming it to be grass fed, and of course with
U.S.D.A.,'s full seal of approval. When the standard is
implemented ALL "New participants in USDA Certified
or USDA Verified programs will be required to adhere
to the United States Standards for Livestock and Meat
Marketing Claims immediately."

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following
proposed United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims. New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

Grass fed beef currently being sold has been grain
finished, and consumers of it are being duped into
believing they're buying grass fed beef because
U.S.D.A.'s seal of approval tells them it is.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:54:32 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>The proposed standard has not been adopted.

> The proposed minimum requirement

It is not a "minimum requirement" in any way. You lied.

It is a proposed standard for marketing claims. It
definitely does NOT require producers of grass-fed beef
to feed grain to their cattle. It allows beef from
cattle that were fed a MAXIMUM of 20% of their calories
from grain to be marketed as "grass-fed". The standard
has not been adopted, and may never be. At present, it
has no legal force - ZERO.

Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:27:37 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:54:32 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>>>The proposed standard has not been adopted.

>> The proposed minimum requirement

>It is not a "minimum requirement" in any way.

Yes it is.
"SUMMARY: These proposed *minimum requirements*
for livestock and meat industry production/marketing
claims, when adopted, will become the United States
Standards for Livestock and Meat Marketing Claims."
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

Yet that proposal can be and has been adopted by
so-called grass fed beef producers since it was first
published on December 20, 2002

[...]

You've lost this one badly, Jon.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:27:37 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek lied:
>>
>>>[...]

I received permission from the official at Union of
Concerned Scientists to post her e-mail to me,
confirming that the proposed standard has NOT been adopted:

Hi Jonathan,

The USDA is currently working on a new standard for a
USDA grassfed label that it will soon publish for
public comment. I expect this standard to be
meaningful. A USDA official informed me that the
agency hopes to publish this standard for public
comment by the end of September.

Susan Prolman

Susan Prolman ]
Washington Representative
Food & Environment Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
1707 H Street NW, Suite 600
Washington DC 20006-3962
Direct Line 202-331-5433
UCS General Line 202-223-6133
Fax 202-223-6162
www.ucsusa.org

Note well, Dreck, you caught-out liar: this means the
earlier proposed standard will NOT be adopted. Ms
Prolman clearly states that "a ***new*** standard for a
USDA grassfed label" will be published, and available
for public comment [emphasis added]. That means the
comments from Western Grasslands and numerous others
have caused the USDA to *withdraw* the prior proposed
standard, and start over.

Dreck, I *always* beat you at this kind of thing.
Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:59:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>I received permission from the official at Union of
>Concerned Scientists to post her e-mail to me,
>confirming that the proposed standard has NOT
>been adopted:

Yet that proposal can be and has been adopted by
so-called grass fed beef producers since it was first
published on December 20, 2002.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

As we can see, the proposed market claim standard
can be and has been adopted by grass fed beef
producers since 2002. This means that so-called grass
fed producers have been selling grain finished beef while
at the same claiming it to be grass fed, and of course with
U.S.D.A.,'s full seal of approval. When the standard is
implemented ALL "New participants in USDA Certified
or USDA Verified programs will be required to adhere
to the United States Standards for Livestock and Meat
Marketing Claims immediately."

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following
proposed United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims. New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

You've lost this one badly, Jon.

>Hi Jonathan,
>
>The USDA is currently working on a new standard for a
>USDA grassfed label that it will soon publish for
>public comment.

And while waiting for it to be published;

[...]

You lose again, Jon.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:59:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>I received permission from the official at Union of
>>Concerned Scientists to post her e-mail to me,
>>confirming that the proposed standard has NOT
>>been adopted:

> Yet that proposal can be and has been adopted by

No one.

You lost, Dreck. The proposed standard was never
adopted, and producers selling beef labeled "grass-fed"
are, indeed, selling 100% grass-fed beef: no grain.
Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:16:20 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek lied:
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:59:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>>>I received permission from the official at Union of
>>>Concerned Scientists to post her e-mail to me,
>>>confirming that the proposed standard has NOT
>>>been adopted:

>> Yet that proposal can be and has been adopted by

>No one.

Yes, it has, and that's what has prompted all those
comments from disgruntled so-called grass fed beef
producers. You lose.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:16:20 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek lied:

>>>Yet that proposal can be and has been adopted by

>>No one.

> Yes, it has,

No, it has not.

Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.
The current grass-fed producers have well established
commercial reputations to protect. Ted Slanker, of
Slanker's Grassfed Meats, wrote me to say that he
considers grain unfit for animal *and* human
consumption, period:

"I think they [USDA] are still stewing about it
[proposed standard]. If they rule that, we will not
change a thing other than state even more bluntly that
we're '100% grass-fed.' Grain is unfit for feed for
man or beast."

You lose, again.
Derek

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:37:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>No one.

>> Yes, it has,

>No, it has not.
>
>Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.

Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

While the meat pushers on these vegetarian and animal-
related forums try to convince vegans that grass fed
beef is that: grass fed, and therefore has a much lesser
association with the collateral deaths caused by farmers
growing animal feeds, they neglect to mention that
grass fed beef is also fed grains at the feedlot just like
any other steer, and therefore has a larger association
with collateral deaths than they would like to admit.

Meat-labeling guidelines are all over the place, allowing
producers to make whatever claims they want to with
impunity, so U.S.D.A. has "proposed minimum
requirements for livestock and meat industry production/
marketing claims, when adopted, will become the United
States Standards for Livestock and Meat Marketing
Claims." They are as follows;

[SUMMARY: These proposed minimum requirements
for livestock and meat industry production/marketing
claims, when adopted, will become the United States
Standards for Livestock and Meat Marketing Claims.
Grass Fed Claims--Background: This claim refers
to the feeding regimen for livestock raised on grass,
green or range pasture, or forage throughout their
life cycle, with only limited supplemental grain
feeding allowed. Since it is necessary to assure the
animal's well being at all times, limited supplementation
is allowed during adverse environmental conditions.
Grass feeding usually results in products containing
lower levels of external and internal fat (including
marbling) than grain-fed livestock products.

Claim and Standard:
[sbull] Grass Fed.--Grass, green or range pasture, or
forage shall be 80% or more of the primary energy
source throughout the animal's life cycle.

Dated: December 20, 2002.
A.J. Yates,
Administrator, Agricultural Marketing Service.
[FR Doc. 02-32806 Filed 12-27-02; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 3410-02-P]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

These "proposed minimum requirements mean that
grass fed beef can in fact be fed up to 80% grains for
60 days in a feedlot, just like any other steer, and still
qualify as grass fed beef.

While the proposed standard goes through, So-called
grass fed beef producers can and have been selling
their dubious product using the proposal's standard
since it was introduced in 2002.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

Comments from disgruntled grass fed beef producers
bear this out and reveal the lie behind grass fed beef;

[Grass Fed Claims; This would appear to be the
most commented upon topic in this docket. We
will not belabor all the points of concern which
are addressed but will focus on the areas of
concern to our cooperative of growers. While
Grain Fed addressed specifically what the method
IS, Grass Fed seems to try to define what it IS
NOT. This dichotomy is confusing. We feel that
you need to define both as what they ARE since
that is what is motivating the consumer.

While the intent of this language would suggest
that Grass Fed animals are not Grain Finished,
especially in Feedlots, the language as written is
not at all clear to that end. In fact by allowing
80% of consumed energy to be concentrated at
the finishing stage, our data suggests that beef
animals could be fed 50% forage /50% grain for
70 days at finishing. Likewise an animal could be
fed 85% grain for 60 days and still qualify under
these guidelines. This is absolutely not in line with
consumer expectations as is borne out in the
website comments.]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/comments/mc213.pdf

and

[The proposed definition of the claim ?grass fed,? as it
may appear on future USDA approved beef labels, is
meaningless in the context of the current United States
cattle market and would violate consumer trust if put
into effect.

The huge majority of all beef cattle in the United States
are ?finished? on a grain-based ration in a commercial
feed lot. Even so, virtually all American cattle spend
80% or more of their lives on pasture eating grasses,
legumes and naturally occurring seeds (grain). Calling
these animals ?grass fed,? as proposed in the new label
claim definition, ignores the fact that in most cases their
whole diet for the last few months of their lives contains
no grass at all. Calling these animals ?grass fed? therefore
becomes meaningless since virtually all cattle are grass fed
as in the proposed definition.

However, for the last decade, a small, but growing number
of producers, including ourselves, have been marketing
cattle finished exclusively on pasture and hay without the
use of unnatural levels of grain-based seeds. This grass-
finished beef has been marketed as ?grassfed? or ?grass-
fed?, and these terms have come to be recognized by
millions of consumers. The enormous publicity over the
last year for grassfed meats (following on best-selling
books such as The Omega Diet and Fast Food Nation)
has reinforced the perception that ?grass fed? is
synonymous with grass-finished and, by extension, that no
supplemental grain has been provided to the animals.

So, I feel that to call an animal that has received as much
as 20% of its total nutrition in a grain feeding finishing
program ?grass fed? could be misleading and confusing
to the consumer. Grain finishing of ruminants is an artificial
feeding practice born of our unique circumstances here in
the United States. Grass feeding is the basis for ruminant
health consistent with the genetic structure and nutritional
requirements of the animals. The claim ?grass fed? as used
on a USDA-approved label should mean that a grassfed
animal has received no grain other than that which is naturally
occurring on pasture or in hay feeds.

I am glad that the USDA is attempting to bring some order
to the grassfed meat discussion, but I join those voices that
have been raised calling for a larger forum in which to discuss
the definition of the grassfed claim as well as other new claims.
I ask that the March 31, 2003, deadline for public comment
be extended indefinitely to give all citizens, most particularly
those who have been building the grassfed meats market, our
customers, and those who support our efforts, the opportunity
to have our perspective thoroughly considered.

Thank you for your serious consideration of my comments.

Sincerely,
Ernest Phinney
General Manager
Western Grasslands Beef]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/comments/mc102.txt

Grass fed beef, then, isn't exactly what it's name
implies, and has just as much an association with
the collateral deaths found in crop production as
any other steer in the feedlot. Don't be fooled by
the meat pushers, here or anywhere.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:37:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> >Derek lied:

> >> Yes, it has,

> >No, it has not.
> >
> >Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.

> Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

Yes, according to all evidence.

Derek

On 8 Sep 2005 12:43:27 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:37:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>> >Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.

>> Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

>Yes, according to all evidence.

U.S.D.A. have issued a marketing claims standard
proposal which was published for comment in 2002,
and while this marketing claims standard is under
review so-called grass fed beef producers can and
have adopted it with U.S.D.A.'s full seal of approval.

Here below is that proposed standard.

Claim and Standard:
[sbull] Grass Fed.--Grass, green or range pasture, or
forage shall be 80% or more of the primary energy
source throughout the animal's life cycle.

Dated: December 20, 2002.
A.J. Yates,
Administrator, Agricultural Marketing Service.
[FR Doc. 02-32806 Filed 12-27-02; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 3410-02-P]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

And below is a statement from the same page urging so-
called grass fed beef producers to use those proposed
marketing standards while U.S.D.A. prepares to make
them final by publishing them.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

When published ALL "New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following
proposed United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims. New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

Grass fed beef is grain finished, just like any other steer
in the feedlot, and U.S.D.A. is about to publish a claims
standard that will allow beef farmers to continue lying
to their customers.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:
> On 8 Sep 2005 12:43:27 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
> >Derek lied:

> >> Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

> >Yes, according to all evidence.

> U.S.D.A. have issued a marketing claims standard
> proposal which

....has now been withdrawn. They are working on a new standard, which
will have to go through the public comment period.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:37:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek lied:

>>>Yes, it has,

>>No, it has not.
>>
>>Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.

> Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

You haven't produced any evidence from the USDA.
Derek

On 8 Sep 2005 16:42:39 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >Yes, according to all evidence.

>> U.S.D.A. have issued a marketing claims standard
>> proposal which

>...has now been withdrawn.

That's a desperate lie to be offering right now, especially
when looking at the response you received only yesterday
from William Sessions, the associate deputy administrator
at the Livestock and Seed Program at USDA who verifies
that the proposal is still very much alive and under review.
Here's what you wrote yesterday;

[I wrote to William Sessions, the associate deputy
administrator (how's that for a title) at the Livestock
and Seed Program at USDA that is in charge of
writing the standard for the "meat marketing claims";
his name, title and e-mail address are at a web page
whose URL I gave yesterday,
http://www.fass.org/fasstrack/news_i...p?news_id=1152

Here's his reply:

From: "Sessions, William" >
To: <jonball@[...]>

Mr. Ball: Thanks for your message. The marketing
claim standards are still under review by USDA.
Accordingly, the standards have not been published
in a final form for use. I hope this information is
helpful. Please let me know if further information is
needed. Thanks,

William T. Sessions
Associate Deputy Administrator Livestock and Seed
Program
Jonathan Ball (Rudy Canoza) http://tinyurl.com/dkdxo

So you've lied, Jon. It hasn't been dropped at all: "The
marketing claims standards are still under review by
USDA.", and while this review is under way USDA
urges beef producers to use their proposed marketing
claims standards while it prepares to make them final
later by publishing them.

"The proposed marketing claim standards may be used in
conjunction with [non]existing regulations or voluntary
USDA grade standards in USDA Certified and USDA
Verified programs." [my edit]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

When published ALL "New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."

"AMS is seeking public comment on the following
proposed United States Standards for Livestock and
Meat Marketing Claims. New participants in USDA
Certified or USDA Verified programs will be required
to adhere to the United States Standards for Livestock
and Meat Marketing Claims immediately."
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

Grass fed beef, then, is grain finished, just like any other
steer in the feedlot, and U.S.D.A. is about to publish a
claims standard that will allow beef farmers to continue
deceiving their customers. A consumer reports magazine
confirms these concerns as follows;

[The claims “100 percent grass fed” and “grass fed only,”
which may appear on other companies’ packaging, would
be useful if true, but they’re not verified, either.

A proposal by the USDA for an optional verification program
for “process claims,” including feeding methods, would only
add to the confusion. Products that passed an inspection could
carry a “USDA Process Verified” shield next to the label “grass
fed” if as little as 80 percent of the feed were grass, with no
limits on the other 20 percent; “grain fed” could be used with a
diet of as little as 50 percent grain. The agency has delayed
implementation of the rule after protests from farmer and
consumer groups, including Consumers Union, publisher of
Consumer Reports magazine.]
http://tinyurl.com/b63f3

You lied, Jon. You have no interest in the truth concerning
these matters, and being the meat propagandist you most
certainly are you'll say anything to keep the lie behind grass
fed beef alive.
Derek

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:18:00 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>No, it has not.
>>>
>>>Beef sold as "grass-fed" is, indeed, 100% grass-fed.

>> Not according to evidence from U.S.D.A.

>You haven't produced any evidence from the USDA.

U.S.D.A. have issued a marketing claims standard
proposal and published it for comment in 2002, and
while this proposal is under review so-called grass
fed beef producers can and have adopted it with
U.S.D.A.'s full seal of approval to offload their
grain-finished beef onto unsuspecting customers as
grass-fed beef.

Here below is that proposed standard.

Claim and Standard:
[sbull] Grass Fed.--Grass, green or range pasture, or
forage shall be 80% or more of the primary energy
source throughout the animal's life cycle.

Dated: December 20, 2002.
A.J. Yates,
Administrator, Agricultural Marketing Service.
[FR Doc. 02-32806 Filed 12-27-02; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 3410-02-P]
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/ls0202.txt

And below is a statement from the same page urging so-
called grass fed beef producers to use those proposed
marketing claims standards while U.S.D.A. prepares to
[...]

The protests from these farmers and consumer groups can
be found on U.S.D.A.'s web site, and I've included two
here as examples;

[...]

Grass fed beef, then, isn't exactly what its name implies, and
has just as much an association with the collateral deaths
found in crop production as from any other steer found in the
feedlot, so don't be fooled by the meat pushers, here or
anywhere.
Rudy Canoza

Derek lied:

> On 8 Sep 2005 16:42:39 -0700, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>
>>Derek lied:

>>>U.S.D.A. have issued a marketing claims standard
>>>proposal which

>>...has now been withdrawn.

> That's a desperate lie

Not a lie. They're starting over.
dh@.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:03:07 +0100, Derek > wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:59:38 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>>>No, that isn't true, and it's because of that intentional
>>>lying to the consumer that U.S.D.A. have "proposed
>>>minimum requirements for livestock and meat industry
>>>production/marketing claims, when adopted, will
>>>become the United States Standards for Livestock
>>>and Meat Marketing Claims."

>> Regardless

>Nope. The grass fed beef you refer to is the same
>grass fed beef as defined by U.S.D.A.

That's a lie Goochild.

>You don't
>get to define it differently,

I get to define what I'm referring to. You don't. When
I refer to grass raised beef, I'm referring to grass raised
beef. Anything you say to the contrary, is you lying again.

>Harrison. Grass fed beef
>animals are fed grains in feedlots like any other
>steer, and accrue the same numbers of collateral
>deaths.

How do the grain fed beef you're referring to, accrue the
same number of deaths as those who can not be regarded
as grass raised?

Derek

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:20:10 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>...has now been withdrawn.

>> That's a desperate lie

>Not a lie.

It IS a lie, and the note you received from Sessions
proves it. Only yesterday he wrote to you, telling
you that the proposed claims standard is very much
alive and under review, liar Jon. He clearly points
out that, "The marketing claim standards
***are still under review by USDA.***
It hasn't been withdrawn at all, liar.

Here's the letter you received, and which you snipped
away in this reply.

From: "Sessions, William" >
To: <jonball@[...]>

Mr. Ball: Thanks for your message. The marketing
claim standards are still under review by USDA.
Accordingly, the standards have not been published
in a final form for use. I hope this information is
helpful. Please let me know if further information is
needed. Thanks,

William T. Sessions
Associate Deputy Administrator Livestock and Seed
Program
Jonathan Ball (Rudy Canoza) http://tinyurl.com/dkdxo

You lied, and you'll keep on lying even while the
evidence in your email from Sessions is right under
your nose. You're an habitual liar, Jon.
dh@.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:58:08 +0100, Derek > wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:36:17 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>>>The evidence before you and which you'll ignore
>>>at any cost to your already ruined integrity is from
>>>U.S.D.A.

>> Regardless of what can legally be labeled as grass raised,
>>when I refer to grass raised beef, I am referring to beef that
>>was not fed grain.

>Then, regardless of what can be usually associated with
>crop production, when I refer to the vegetables I eat, I
>am referring to vegetables that don't carry a collateral
>death antecedent.

LOL!!! We know that Gooling. You have always denied the
cds that you contribute to. I believe I've explained to you that
your denial is one of the more contemptible things about your
inconsiderate, dishonest ass. You have proven that you don't
care about the animals. You have proven that you lie about
animals and humans. And oddly(?) enough, the thing that you
hate most about me is my honesty.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:20:10 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>That's a desperate lie

>>Not a lie.

> It IS a lie,

It's not a lie. The new proposed standard hasn't been
published yet.
Derek

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:54:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>Not a lie.

>> It IS a lie,

>It's not a lie.

<restore>
It IS a lie, and the note you received from Sessions
proves it. Only yesterday he wrote to you, telling
you that the proposed claims standard is very much
alive and under review, liar Jon. He clearly points
out that, "The marketing claim standards
***are still under review by USDA.***
It hasn't been dropped at all, liar.

Here's the letter you received, and which you snipped
away in this reply.

[I wrote to William Sessions, the associate deputy
administrator (how's that for a title) at the Livestock
and Seed Program at USDA that is in charge of
writing the standard for the "meat marketing claims";
his name, title and e-mail address are at a web page
whose URL I gave yesterday,
http://www.fass.org/fasstrack/news_i...p?news_id=1152

Here's his reply:

Derek

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:46:59 -0400, dh@. wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:03:07 +0100, Derek > wrote:
>
>>You don't get to define it differently,

> I get to define

... nothing. Sadistic animal abusers who breed animals
to fight to the death in pits don't get to define anything
on these animal-related forums, Harrison, you piece
of lying scum.

Derek

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:16:53 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>It's not a lie.

>> <restore>
>> It IS a lie,

>It is not a lie.

<restore>
It IS a lie, and the note you received from Sessions
proves it. Only yesterday he wrote to you, telling
you that the proposed claims standard is very much
alive and under review, liar Jon. He clearly points
out that, "The marketing claim standards
***are still under review by USDA.***
It hasn't been dropped at all, liar.

Here's the letter you received, and which you snipped
away in this reply.

[I wrote to William Sessions, the associate deputy
administrator (how's that for a title) at the Livestock
and Seed Program at USDA that is in charge of
writing the standard for the "meat marketing claims";
his name, title and e-mail address are at a web page
whose URL I gave yesterday,
http://www.fass.org/fasstrack/news_i...p?news_id=1152

Here's his reply:

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:16:53 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>> <restore>
>>>It IS a lie,

>>It is not a lie.

> <restore>
> It IS a lie,

It is not a lie. The proposed standard is being
rewritten, and again will be subject to public comment.