Beach Runner

Default USDA finds 1,000 violations of mad cow rules

Theses re just the ones they found!

Reuters - Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:53 PM ET
USDA finds 1,000 violations of mad cow rules
By Randy Fabi

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal food safety
inspectors found more than 1,000 instances since 2004 where
U.S. meat plants cut corners or violated regulations aimed at
preventing the spread of mad cow disease, the U.S. Agriculture
Department said on Monday.
The USDA said it released documents to the American Meat
Institute and the consumer group Public Citizen showing that
federal inspectors filed 1,036 noncompliance reports from
January 2004 to May 2005 involving the removal of the brain,
skull and spinal cord of cattle aged 30 months and older.
The materials are considered to carry the highest risk in
spreading the brain-wasting disease, also known as bovine
spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). The USDA banned them from the
human food supply a few days after the December 2003 discovery
of the first U.S. case of mad cow disease in a Washington state
dairy cow.
The nation's second confirmed case of BSE was discovered
earlier this summer in a Texas beef cow.
Public Citizen said the documents showed instances where
U.S. meat plants did not distinguish between older and younger
animals, banned materials were not removed and tools not
properly cleaned.
"I think there still has to be a concern about meat from an
infected animal making it into the food supply," said Tony
Corbo, legislative representative for Public Citizen. "It is
not a fail-safe system."
The meat industry disagreed.
"Some groups will no doubt attempt to use this information
as evidence of possible operational problems and even a food
safety concern, when nothing is further from the truth," said
Jim Hodges, president of the AMI Foundation.
AMI said the noncompliance reports represent just one-tenth
of 1 percent of the 46 million cattle slaughtered nationwide
during the 17-month period.
The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service said its
federal meat inspectors strictly enforced the regulations to
keep BSE out of the human food supply.
"These data demonstrate inspection program personnel took
immediate action when they determined that regulations were not
being strictly followed. The analysis demonstrates public
health was protected," the agency said in a statement posted on
its Web site.
The documents were released to the industry and consumer
groups in response to Freedom of Information Act requests, and
were not made public by the USDA.
Public Citizen said it was still reviewing all the
documents, and would need several days to summarize the
noncompliance reports.
The U.S. Food and Drug and Administration has separately
been considering tougher safeguards against mad cow disease for
the past 18 months. The FDA in 1997 banned the use of cattle
remains as a protein supplement for cattle, but consumer groups
have urged the FDA to extend the ban to feed for poultry, pigs
and pet food.

LINKS: * FSIS statement
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...ctly_Enforced/ index.asp

© Reuters 2005.

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> Theses re just the ones they found!

> AMI said the noncompliance reports represent just one-tenth
> of 1 percent of the 46 million cattle slaughtered nationwide
> during the 17-month period.

I know you're like emotive little girl, but 0.1% error is hardly
something to get all worked up about.

usual suspect wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
> > Theses re just the ones they found!

> > AMI said the noncompliance reports represent just one-tenth
> > of 1 percent of the 46 million cattle slaughtered nationwide
> > during the 17-month period.

> I know you're like emotive little girl, but 0.1% error is hardly
> something to get all worked up about.

Unless you happen to be the one who ingests the PRION hidden in the
murder burger.

usual suspect

banbraincell wrote:
>>> Theses re just the ones they found!

>>>AMI said the noncompliance reports represent just one-tenth
>>>of 1 percent of the 46 million cattle slaughtered nationwide
>>>during the 17-month period.

>>I know you're like emotive little girl, but 0.1% error is hardly
>>something to get all worked up about.

> Unless you happen to be the one

The odds are MUCH greater that you'll be struck by lightning or run over
by a truck. Why did you skip out on our discussion at TPA/AAEV about
cholesterol, dummy?

usual suspect wrote:

> >>I know you're like emotive little girl, but 0.1% error is hardly
> >>something to get all worked up about.

> > Unless you happen to be the one

> The odds are MUCH greater that you'll be struck by lightning or run over
> by a truck. Why did you skip out on our discussion at TPA/AAEV about
> cholesterol, dummy?

Tell me again how carrots plug arteries with cholesterol..........we
all need a good laugh Rudy/Useless.