FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   VIOX and the FDA (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/67607-viox-fda.html)

Beach Runner 13-08-2005 08:24 PM

VIOX and the FDA

The FDA had plenty of knowledge of the dangers of Viox. I'd been on it
for 2 years.

They did not take it off the market. Merk did to prevent actions
against them. The FDA should have taken it and many other drugs off the
market.

BTW, I loved VIOX, it really helped me, and I thought it was the safest
drug I could take.

usual suspect 14-08-2005 12:00 AM

Beach Runner wrote:
> The FDA had plenty of knowledge of the dangers of Viox.

Vioxx. And there's NO evidence the FDA knew of any dangers before Merck
voluntarily withdrew Vioxx from the market. The possible cardiac risks
associated with Vioxx were observed during a trial of Vioxx's efficacy
in preventing recurrence of colorectal polyps in patients with a history
of colorectal adenomas. It was a three year trial and was based on 25 mg
dosage (Vioxx was also available in a 12.5 mg dose). During the first
half of it, there were no differences between placebo and Vioxx groups
with respect to heart attacks or strokes. There were differences between
the two groups after 18 months. There were no previous indications of
such problems in previous trials.

> I'd been on it for 2 years.

And it never hurt you, did it. I was twice prescribed Bextra, Pfizer's
Cox-2 inhibitor (same class of drug as Vioxx), to relieve inflammation
in my knees. It's an effective treatment, but the FDA asked Pfizer to
voluntarily withdraw it from the market.

> They did not take it off the market.

There was reason to given the safety shown during previous trials.

> Merk

Merck.

> did to prevent actions against them.

They haven't prevented ANYTHING by withdrawing Vioxx from the market.
Numerous ambulance chasers have already filed class action suits against
Merck, and many more ambulance chasers are eagerly looking for clients
so they can sue the stuffing out of Merck's deep pockets. All those
ambulance chasers will try to convince juries that Merck's actions in
withdrawing Vioxx are an admission of guilt.

> The FDA should have taken it and many other drugs off the
> market.

Vioxx, Celebrex, Bextra, and other similar medications have been
withdrawn, at least temporarily.

> BTW, I loved VIOX,

Most people who took it did.

> it really helped me, and I thought it was the safest
> drug I could take.

And, at least in the short run and in the 12.5 mg dose, it was (and
probably IS) safe.

Beach Runner 14-08-2005 07:09 AM

usual suspect wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
>
>> The FDA had plenty of knowledge of the dangers of Viox.

> Vioxx. And there's NO evidence the FDA knew of any dangers before Merck
> voluntarily withdrew Vioxx from the market. The possible cardiac risks
> associated with Vioxx were observed during a trial of Vioxx's efficacy
> in preventing recurrence of colorectal polyps in patients with a history
> of colorectal adenomas. It was a three year trial and was based on 25 mg
> dosage (Vioxx was also available in a 12.5 mg dose). During the first
> half of it, there were no differences between placebo and Vioxx groups
> with respect to heart attacks or strokes. There were differences between
> the two groups after 18 months. There were no previous indications of
> such problems in previous trials.
>
>> I'd been on it for 2 years.

> And it never hurt you, did it. I was twice prescribed Bextra, Pfizer's
> Cox-2 inhibitor (same class of drug as Vioxx), to relieve inflammation
> in my knees. It's an effective treatment, but the FDA asked Pfizer to
> voluntarily withdraw it from the market.
>
>> They did not take it off the market.

> There was reason to given the safety shown during previous trials.
>
>> Merk

> Merck.
>
>> did to prevent actions against them.

> They haven't prevented ANYTHING by withdrawing Vioxx from the market.
> Numerous ambulance chasers have already filed class action suits against
> Merck, and many more ambulance chasers are eagerly looking for clients
> so they can sue the stuffing out of Merck's deep pockets. All those
> ambulance chasers will try to convince juries that Merck's actions in
> withdrawing Vioxx are an admission of guilt.
>
>> The FDA should have taken it and many other drugs off the market.

> Vioxx, Celebrex, Bextra, and other similar medications have been
> withdrawn, at least temporarily.
>
>> BTW, I loved VIOX,

> Most people who took it did.
>
>> it really helped me, and I thought it was the safest drug I could take.

> And, at least in the short run and in the 12.5 mg dose, it was (and
> probably IS) safe.

I thin it will be placed back on the market with warnings for heart
patients. Or so my orthopedist states.

I doubt you're in a high risk group. You are knowledgeable about
nutrition and I hope you exercise regally.

Your problems are social in nature. In real life no one could be so rude.