Steve

Default Study: vegan diet may slow prostate cancer

>From Faux News of all places, notice the use of the "v word":

Diet, Exercise May Slow Early Prostate Cancer
Thursday, August 11, 2005
By Patti Connor

Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
An intensive diet and lifestyle program can slow - or possibly stop
- the growth of early prostate cancer.

A new study shows that diet may play a significant role in stopping, or
even reversing, early prostate cancer. Exercising more frequently, even
in moderation, may also go a long way in retarding the disease.

The study findings apply only to men with early prostate cancer. This
means that under a microscope the cancer cells do not appear
aggressive. It also means that the prostate cancer had not spread
outside the prostate.

No man should ever rely on lifestyle changes alone to treat prostate
cancer without first talking to their doctor.

Study: Prostate Screening Saves Lives

No. 1 Cancer

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the U.S., according
to the American Cancer Society. It is the second deadliest cancer in
men, behind lung cancer. Most prostate cancers occur in men over 65.

Past research has indicated that men who eat high-fat diets may be more
likely to develop prostate cancer.

"This study provides important new information for men with prostate
cancer and all men who hope to prevent it," says Peter Carroll,
chairman of the department of urology at the University of California,
San Francisco, in a news release.

Researchers studied 93 men whose biopsies had shown they had early
prostate cancer. The participants were divided into two groups. All of
them agreed to forgo any conventional prostate cancer treatment.

Prostate cancer is often a very slowly progressive cancer. Therefore,
some men, particularly those with early prostate cancer, opt to delay
treatment and wait and see how things go. This is called "watchful
waiting."

Prostate Cancer Treatment: Long-Term Effects

The Program

The first group underwent intensive changes in diet and lifestyle
including the following:

Vegan diet of predominantly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes,
and soy products. Soy supplements (one daily serving of tofu plus 58
grams of a fortified soy protein powdered beverage. Fish oil (3 grams
daily), vitamin E (400 IU daily), selenium (200 micrograms daily), and
vitamin C (2 grams daily). Moderate aerobic exercise (walking 30
minutes six days weekly). Stress management techniques (gentle
yoga-based stretching, breathing, meditation, imagery, and progressive
relaxation for 60 minutes daily). Participation in a one-hour support
group once weekly to help stick to the program.

The diet is "intensive but palatable and practical," according to
the researchers. Previous studies have shown that most patients were
able to stick to the diet for at least five years, they add. The
program has already been shown to reverse progression of heart disease.

Three men in this group dropped out of the study because they said it
was too difficult to follow.

The second group was asked to follow their doctors' advice regarding
lifestyle changes.

The researchers then followed PSA blood levels, a marker for prostate
cancer progression. A rise in PSA indicates prostate cancer progression
that may require treatment. Imaging studies were also done to look for
any progression.

Recently Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer?

No Treatment Required

After one year in the program, PSA levels decreased, on average, by 4%
in the intensive diet group but increased by 6% in the second group.

None of the participants in the intensive diet group required treatment
due to prostate cancer progression.

However, six men in the second group required conventional prostate
cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
within the first year.

The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.

Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.

"Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
release.

Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center

By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD

SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University
of California, San Francisco.

Beach Runner

Steve wrote:

> [...]

> cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
> within the first year.
>
> The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
> samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.
>
> Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
> growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.
>
> "Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
> could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
> the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
> professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
> release.
>
> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>
> By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
>
> SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University

Thanks Steve. I've seen similar studies. More research is needed of
course. Similar research have been done on breast cancer and bowel cancer.

Beach Runner

Steve wrote:

> [...]

> cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
> within the first year.
>
> The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
> samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.
>
> Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
> growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.
>
> "Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
> could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
> the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
> professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
> release.
>
> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>
> By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
>
> SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University

Thanks Steve for posting this from a respected Journal. I've seen
similar studies. Note good science requires additional studies, and
these findings indicate such a need.

Note similar research has been published on breast and bowel cancer.

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165458,00.html
>>
>> Diet, Exercise May Slow Early Prostate Cancer
>> Thursday, August 11, 2005
>> By Patti Connor
>>
>> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>> An intensive diet and lifestyle program can slow - or possibly stop
>> - the growth of early prostate cancer.
>>
>> A new study shows that diet may play a significant role in stopping, or
>> even reversing, early prostate cancer. Exercising more frequently, even
>> in moderation, may also go a long way in retarding the disease.
>>
>> The study findings apply only to men with early prostate cancer. This
>> means that under a microscope the cancer cells do not appear
>> aggressive. It also means that the prostate cancer had not spread
>> outside the prostate.
>>
>> No man should ever rely on lifestyle changes alone to treat prostate
>> cancer without first talking to their doctor.
>>
>> Study: Prostate Screening Saves Lives
>>
>> No. 1 Cancer
>>
>> Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the U.S., according
>> to the American Cancer Society. It is the second deadliest cancer in
>> men, behind lung cancer. Most prostate cancers occur in men over 65.
>>
>> Past research has indicated that men who eat high-fat diets may be more
>> likely to develop prostate cancer.
>>
>> "This study provides important new information for men with prostate
>> cancer and all men who hope to prevent it," says Peter Carroll,
>> chairman of the department of urology at the University of California,
>> San Francisco, in a news release.
>>
>> Researchers studied 93 men whose biopsies had shown they had early
>> prostate cancer. The participants were divided into two groups. All of
>> them agreed to forgo any conventional prostate cancer treatment.
>>
>> Prostate cancer is often a very slowly progressive cancer. Therefore,
>> some men, particularly those with early prostate cancer, opt to delay
>> treatment and wait and see how things go. This is called "watchful
>> waiting."
>>
>> Prostate Cancer Treatment: Long-Term Effects
>>
>> The Program
>>
>> The first group underwent intensive changes in diet and lifestyle
>> including the following:
>>
>> Vegan diet of predominantly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes,
>> and soy products. Soy supplements (one daily serving of tofu plus 58
>> grams of a fortified soy protein powdered beverage. Fish oil (3 grams
>> daily),

Since when has *FISH OIL* been part of a vegan diet?

>> vitamin E (400 IU daily), selenium (200 micrograms daily), and
>> vitamin C (2 grams daily). Moderate aerobic exercise (walking 30
>> minutes six days weekly). Stress management techniques (gentle
>> yoga-based stretching, breathing, meditation, imagery, and progressive
>> relaxation for 60 minutes daily). Participation in a one-hour support
>> group once weekly to help stick to the program.
>>
>> The diet is "intensive but palatable and practical," according to
>> the researchers. Previous studies have shown that most patients were
>> able to stick to the diet for at least five years, they add. The
>> program has already been shown to reverse progression of heart disease.
>>
>> Three men in this group dropped out of the study because they said it
>> was too difficult to follow.
>>
>> The second group was asked to follow their doctors' advice regarding
>> lifestyle changes.
>>
>> The researchers then followed PSA blood levels, a marker for prostate
>> cancer progression. A rise in PSA indicates prostate cancer progression
>> that may require treatment. Imaging studies were also done to look for
>> any progression.
>>
>> Recently Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer?
>>
>> No Treatment Required
>>
>> After one year in the program, PSA levels decreased, on average, by 4%
>> in the intensive diet group but increased by 6% in the second group.
>>
>> None of the participants in the intensive diet group required treatment
>> due to prostate cancer progression.
>>
>> However, six men in the second group required conventional prostate
>> cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
>> within the first year.
>>
>> The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
>> samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.
>>
>> Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
>> growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.
>>
>> "Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
>> could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
>> the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
>> professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
>> release.
>>
>> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>>
>> By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
>>
>> SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University
>> of California, San Francisco.
>>

> Thanks Steve for posting this from a respected Journal.

Fox News isn't a journal, dummy.

> I've seen similar studies.

No, you've read about similar studies either in articles like the one
above or from abstracts (which you stupidly post as "studies").

> Note good science requires additional studies, and
> these findings indicate such a need.

It would be interesting to know the extent to which frequent exercise
and stress reduction was responsible for the differences -- which was
only 10% between the two groups.

> Note similar research has been published on breast and bowel cancer.

Whoa.
Smoking was associated with an increased risk of death from all
malignant neoplasms combined (1.45 (1.16 to 1.82)), but the
*dietary factors were not significant* once smoking was adjusted
for. Similarly *no significant dietary associations were found
for lung cancer after adjustment for smoking*. Mortality from
colorectal cancer was *not significantly associated with smoking
or dietary factors*. *Vegetarian diet was associated with an
increased mortality from breast cancer* in women (1.64 (1.01 to
2.67)), and *this estimate was not altered by adjusting for
smoking* (which was not associated with breast cancer
mortality).
http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
vegetarians, dumb ass?
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> [...]

>>> cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
>>> within the first year.
>>>
>>> The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
>>> samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.
>>>
>>> Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
>>> growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.
>>>
>>> "Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
>>> could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
>>> the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
>>> professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>>>
>>> By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
>>>
>>> SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University

a report on the Journal of Urology

>> Thanks Steve for posting this from a respected Journal.

> Fox News isn't a journal, dummy.

It's a story about a report. I'd like to see the real study.
>> I've seen similar studies.

> No, you've read about similar studies either in articles like the one
> above or from abstracts (which you stupidly post as "studies").
>
>> Note good science requires additional studies, and these findings
>> indicate such a need.

> It would be interesting to know the extent to which frequent exercise
> and stress reduction was responsible for the differences -- which was
> only 10% between the two groups.
>
>> Note similar research has been published on breast and bowel cancer.

> Whoa.
> Smoking was associated with an increased risk of death from all
> malignant neoplasms combined (1.45 (1.16 to 1.82)), but the
> *dietary factors were not significant* once smoking was adjusted
> for. Similarly *no significant dietary associations were found
> for lung cancer after adjustment for smoking*. Mortality from
> colorectal cancer was *not significantly associated with smoking
> or dietary factors*. *Vegetarian diet was associated with an
> increased mortality from breast cancer* in women (1.64 (1.01 to
> 2.67)), and *this estimate was not altered by adjusting for
> smoking* (which was not associated with breast cancer
> mortality).

People who smoke are stupid and it's very expensive. Even chewing
tobacco produces cancer. Of course, they helped fund your evidence
about global warming. They even made candy cigarettes to help get a new
generation addicted,

> http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

There are plenty of studies showing increased rates of cancer among meat
eaters, because our intestines and are not designed for it. It called
comparative antonym. Also carnivores don't chew their food, have no
saliva to break down carbohydrates and much more acid in their system

> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
> vegetarians, dumb ass?

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

>> Since when has *FISH OIL* been part of a vegan diet?

* Answer the question, Bob. *

> a report on the Journal of Urology

FROM, and this was a WebMD article about it from Fox News. It was NOT
the study itself.

>>> Thanks Steve for posting this from a respected Journal.

>> Fox News isn't a journal, dummy.

> It's a story about a report.

Bingo.

> I'd like to see the real study.

The real study wouldn't claim that a "VEGAN" diet is beneficial for
those with prostate cancer because the diet was NOT vegan: it included
fish oil.

>>> I've seen similar studies.

>> No, you've read about similar studies either in articles like the one
>> above or from abstracts (which you stupidly post as "studies").
>>
>>> Note good science requires additional studies, and these findings
>>> indicate such a need.

>> It would be interesting to know the extent to which frequent exercise
>> and stress reduction was responsible for the differences -- which was
>> only 10% between the two groups.

Don't you agree this is an important consideration? You have NO idea if
the changes in diet contributed more or less to the difference in PSA
tests than these other changes did.

>>> Note similar research has been published on breast and bowel cancer.

>> Whoa.
>> Smoking was associated with an increased risk of death from all
>> malignant neoplasms combined (1.45 (1.16 to 1.82)), but the
>> *dietary factors were not significant* once smoking was adjusted
>> for. Similarly *no significant dietary associations were found
>> for lung cancer after adjustment for smoking*. Mortality from
>> colorectal cancer was *not significantly associated with smoking
>> or dietary factors*. *Vegetarian diet was associated with an
>> increased mortality from breast cancer* in women (1.64 (1.01 to
>> 2.67)), and *this estimate was not altered by adjusting for
>> smoking* (which was not associated with breast cancer
>> mortality).

> People who smoke are stupid and it's very expensive.

Click the link and read the whole thing. It's not about the dangers of
smoking.

<snip irrelevant prattle>

>> http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

> There are plenty of studies showing increased rates of cancer among meat
> eaters,

CERTAIN kinds of cancer and they tend to focus not on meat consumption
itself, Boob, but on OVER-consumption of meat. The higher correlated
risks are for those who eat the most meat and/or the least foods which
have fiber.

<snip of vegan propaganda>

>> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
>> vegetarians, dumb ass?

* Answer the question, Bob. *
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

>>> Since when has *FISH OIL* been part of a vegan diet?

No it's not. It was recommended by her doctor. I doubt she will take it.

> ************************************************** ******
> * Answer the question, Bob. *
> ************************************************** ******

>> a report on the Journal of Urology

> FROM, and this was a WebMD article about it from Fox News. It was NOT
> the study itself.

>>> Fox News isn't a journal, dummy.

>> It's a story about a report.

> Bingo.
>
>> I'd like to see the real study.

> The real study wouldn't claim that a "VEGAN" diet is beneficial for
> those with prostate cancer because the diet was NOT vegan: it included
> fish oil.

>>> No, you've read about similar studies either in articles like the one
>>> above or from abstracts (which you stupidly post as "studies").

>>> It would be interesting to know the extent to which frequent exercise
>>> and stress reduction was responsible for the differences -- which was
>>> only 10% between the two groups.

> Don't you agree this is an important consideration? You have NO idea if
> the changes in diet contributed more or less to the difference in PSA
> tests than these other changes did.

>>> Whoa.
>>> Smoking was associated with an increased risk of death from all
>>> malignant neoplasms combined (1.45 (1.16 to 1.82)), but the
>>> *dietary factors were not significant* once smoking was adjusted
>>> for. Similarly *no significant dietary associations were found
>>> for lung cancer after adjustment for smoking*. Mortality from
>>> colorectal cancer was *not significantly associated with smoking
>>> or dietary factors*. *Vegetarian diet was associated with an
>>> increased mortality from breast cancer* in women (1.64 (1.01 to
>>> 2.67)), and *this estimate was not altered by adjusting for
>>> smoking* (which was not associated with breast cancer
>>> mortality).

>> People who smoke are stupid and it's very expensive.

> Click the link and read the whole thing. It's not about the dangers of
> smoking.
>
> <snip irrelevant prattle>
>

>>> http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

>> There are plenty of studies showing increased rates of cancer among
>> meat eaters,

> CERTAIN kinds of cancer and they tend to focus not on meat consumption
> itself, Boob, but on OVER-consumption of meat. The higher correlated
> risks are for those who eat the most meat and/or the least foods which
> have fiber.
>
> <snip of vegan propaganda>
>

>>> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
>>> vegetarians, dumb ass?

> ************************************************** ******
> * Answer the question, Bob. *
> ************************************************** ******

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
<...>

> No it's not.

So this was *NOT* a "vegan diet" as Steve claimed in his subject.

<...>

>> ************************************************** ******
>> * Answer the question, Bob. *
>> ************************************************** ******

Beach Runner

> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
> vegetarians, dumb ass?

That was interesting. The study should be replicated. It was the only
negative factor in the study, and overall the study indicated better
health for vegetarians. You did point out the anomaly. I wonder if it
would be repeated.

Unlike you, I don't lie and admit if data doesn't favor my point of
view. Of course looking at the whole study, vegetarians are overall much
healthier than non vegetarians.
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
>> vegetarians, dumb ass?

> That was interesting.

No kidding. But you can't explain it, can you.

The study should be replicated. It was the only
> negative factor in the study, and overall the study indicated better
> health for vegetarians.

No, it didn't. It showed no or few small statistical differences between
vegetarians and those who consume meat.

Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
>
>>> How do you explain that increased mortality from breast cancer in
>>> vegetarians, dumb ass?

I think it is an anomaly, considering other research finds the opposite
results.

>> That was interesting.

> No kidding. But you can't explain it, can you.
>
> The study should be replicated. It was the only
>
>> negative factor in the study, and overall the study indicated better
>> health for vegetarians.

There are other sites that contradict this finding.

"October is...
Breast Cancer Awareness Month

What can you do to help protect yourself?

Start eating a low fat, pure vegetarian diet.

Every 12 minutes someone dies from breast cancer. Yet women who eat as
few as two servings of vegetables per day reduce their breast cancer
risk by 30%.
(American Institute for Cancer Research; World Cancer Fund 10/16/97)"

and
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...ancer_Risk.asp
Stamped with the American Cancer Society.

> [...]
> Role of Diet in Breast Cancer Is Controversial
>
> Certain diets, such as those high in red meats and certain fats, seem to play a role in some cancers, such as those of the colon. But their influence on breast cancer remains unclear. Some studies, for example, have found that high fat diets appear to increase breast cancer risk, but others have not.
>
> Regardless of its effect on breast cancer, a diet that is rich in vegetables and light on red meats and fatty foods is likely to have other positive health benefits, including lowering the risk of heart disease.
> Effects of Vegetarianism on Cancer Unknown
>
> Vegetarianism is the practice of eating a diet consisting mainly or entirely of food that comes from plant sources such as fruits and vegetables. Vegetarian diets vary widely. Some include no animal products, while others include dairy products, eggs, and fish.
>
> One of the problems in figuring out the effects of vegetarian diets on cancer risk is that most vegetarians in Western countries stop eating meat only in adult life, when the risk of cancer may have already been influenced.
> Increased Vegetable Intake Linked to Lower Breast Cancer Risk
>
> In this study, researchers looked at women who were Hindus and were likely to be lifelong vegetarians, and they looked at Muslims who were mostly meat-eaters (except for pork).
>
> The researchers studied 240 women who had developed breast cancer, and 477 women of similar age who had not.. Each answered questions related to the foods eaten in previous years.
>
> Women with breast cancer were more likely to be in a higher social bracket, were older when their first child was born, were less likely to have breastfed, and were more likely to have a strong family history of breast cancer — all known breast cancer risk factors.
>
> Lifelong vegetarians had a slight reduction in the odds of developing breast cancer, even after adjusting for these other factors.
>
> But vegetarians not only ate less meat; they also ate more vegetables than the meat-eaters. The researchers then attempted to determine which of these two factors was more important.
>
> When other dietary factors were held constant, the difference between those who ate meat and those who did not seemed to disappear. But high intakes of vegetables continued to affect breast cancer risk even after adjusting for other factors.
>
> The authors concluded, "Although it is not possible to exclude the possibility that meat abstention may also play a role, the findings provide evidence that a lifelong diet rich in vegetables, such as those typically found in South Asian diets, may be protective against this cancer."
>
> Further studies will hopefully define the specific nutrients responsible for this effect, they added.

So other studies contradict your study. The study you found I agree is
interesting. Can it be replicated?

> No, it didn't. It showed no or few small statistical differences between
> vegetarians and those who consume meat.

I admit, I can't say why, and neither can you. It is worth researching.
Overall, with that anomaly, it showed much better health in a vegetarian
diet.

More research is clearly indicated, but the majority of research makes
your finding an anomaly.

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

> I think it is an anomaly, considering other research finds the opposite
> results.

Bullshit:

Registered dietitian Johanna Dwyer, of Tufts University Medical
School and the New England Medical Center Hospital, Boston,
summarizes these plant food benefits:

"Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for
obesity, atonic [reduced muscle tone] constipation, lung cancer,
and alcoholism. Evidence is good that risks for hypertension,
coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, and gallstones are
lower. Data are *only fair to poor* that risks of breast cancer,
diverticular disease of the colon, colonic cancer, calcium
kidney stones, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and dental caries
are lower among vegetarians."

According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

>>> That was interesting.

>> No kidding. But you can't explain it, can you.
>>
>> The study should be replicated. It was the only
>>
>>> negative factor in the study, and overall the study indicated better
>>> health for vegetarians.

> There are other sites that contradict this finding.

And plenty more which corroborate it. Note the above: the data in favor
of your claims are fair to poor.
Beach Runner

Wy waste time. I agree it was a was a well done study. Other studies
with the cancer society and such contradict it.

A good study should be replicated. That is what done in good science.

You're goal was not science but to be nasty.

How do YOU explain the other reports?

The answer is you don't know.

If I were a female I'd not change my habits based on ONE study when all
the other studies contradict it.

It makes not sense that that all other cancers were reduced, but not
breast cancer, so it seems an anomaly.

Your not trying to make a point you argue and are doing so to be mean.

Why don't you get a life.

Leave this group. It's like a Red Sox fan in the Yankee group.

I agree you appear to have talent, it seems it could be used much better.

usual suspect wrote:

>> I think it is an anomaly, considering other research finds the
>> opposite results.

> Bullshit:
>
> Registered dietitian Johanna Dwyer, of Tufts University Medical
> School and the New England Medical Center Hospital, Boston,
> summarizes these plant food benefits:
>
> "Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for
> obesity, atonic [reduced muscle tone] constipation, lung cancer,
> and alcoholism. Evidence is good that risks for hypertension,
> coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, and gallstones are
> lower. Data are *only fair to poor* that risks of breast cancer,
> diverticular disease of the colon, colonic cancer, calcium
> kidney stones, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and dental caries
> are lower among vegetarians."
>
> According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
> greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
> Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
> lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
> abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
> active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
> and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
> http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

>>> No kidding. But you can't explain it, can you.
>>>
>>> The study should be replicated. It was the only

>> There are other sites that contradict this finding.

> And plenty more which corroborate it. Note the above: the data in favor
> of your claims are fair to poor.

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> Wy waste time. I agree it was a was a well done study. Other studies
> with the cancer society and such contradict it.

No, they don't.

Registered dietitian Johanna Dwyer, of Tufts University Medical
School and the New England Medical Center Hospital, Boston,
summarizes these plant food benefits:

"Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for
obesity, atonic [reduced muscle tone] constipation, lung cancer,
and alcoholism. Evidence is good that risks for hypertension,
coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, and gallstones are
lower. Data are *only fair to poor* that risks of breast cancer,
diverticular disease of the colon, colonic cancer, calcium
kidney stones, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and dental caries
are lower among vegetarians."

According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

> You're goal was not science but to be nasty.

My goal IS science, truth. That's why I go to sources like Johanna Dwyer
of Tufts University who says the data are only fair to poor and that one
reason Western vegetarians appear so much healthier is influenced by
OTHER lifestyle choices unrelated to diet.

> How do YOU explain the other reports?

According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

> The answer is you don't know.

According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

> If I were a female I'd not change my habits based on ONE study when all
> the other studies contradict it.

The other studies DON'T contradict it.

> It makes not sense that that all other cancers were reduced, but not
> breast cancer, so it seems an anomaly.

Not at all.

> Your not trying to make a point you argue and are doing so to be mean.

I'm making a very strong point -- one which shatters your illusions and
proves your agenda to be a sham. You can't handle it so you level
baseless accusations against me.

> Why don't you get a life.

I have one.

> Leave this group.

I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to share knowledge and pursue the
truth. **** you and your bogus vegan agenda if it hurts your feelings.

> It's like a Red Sox fan in the Yankee group.

Non sequitur.

> I agree you appear to have talent, it seems it could be used much better.

Which means, You only wish I would mindlessly agree with you despite all
the evidence to the contrary.

> usual suspect wrote:

>>> I think it is an anomaly, considering other research finds the
>>> opposite results.

>> Bullshit:
>>
>> Registered dietitian Johanna Dwyer, of Tufts University Medical
>> School and the New England Medical Center Hospital, Boston,
>> summarizes these plant food benefits:
>>
>> "Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for
>> obesity, atonic [reduced muscle tone] constipation, lung cancer,
>> and alcoholism. Evidence is good that risks for hypertension,
>> coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, and gallstones are
>> lower. Data are *only fair to poor* that risks of breast cancer,
>> diverticular disease of the colon, colonic cancer, calcium
>> kidney stones, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and dental caries
>> are lower among vegetarians."
>>
>> According to Dwyer, vegetarians' longevity is similar to or
>> greater than that of non-vegetarians, but is influenced in
>> Western countries by vegetarians' "adoption of many healthy
>> lifestyle habits in addition to diet, such as not smoking,
>> abstinence or moderation in the use of alcohol, being physically
>> active, resting adequately, seeking ongoing health surveillance,
>> and seeking guidance when health problems arise."
>> http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

>>> There are other sites that contradict this finding.

>> And plenty more which corroborate it. Note the above: the data in
>> favor of your claims are fair to poor.

Laurie

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
.. .

> My goal IS science, truth.

Yet, when challenged to support your claims, you can not provide
credible scientific citations.

Laurie

Steve wrote:
> [...]

> cancer treatment - surgery, radiation, and/or hormone therapy -
> within the first year.
>
> The researchers took it a step further and also tested how blood
> samples from the men affected prostate cancer cell growth in the lab.
>
> Blood samples from the intensive diet group slowed prostate cancer cell
> growth by 70% in the lab but only by 9% in the second group.
>
> "Changes in diet and lifestyle that we found in earlier research
> could reverse the progression of coronary heart disease may also affect
> the progression of prostate cancer," says Dean Ornish, MD, clinical
> professor at the University of California, San Francisco, in a news
> release.
>
> Visit WebMD's Prostate Cancer Health Center
>
> By Patti Connor, Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
>
> SOURCES: Journal of Urology, September 2005. News release, University

Dairy is the source of digestion-surviving IGF-1 (the most powerful
growth hormone shared by cows and people.

Consuming dairy laden IGF-1 when cancer cells are present (everyone
over age 40 has cancer cells) is like pouring gas on a fire.