Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Default party ideas

we are having a housewarming party (almost 3 mo. after we moved in! oops!)
and my family knows that i am vegan so they will probably bring steaks and
things to burn if they so desire but i was wondering if anyone had any good
ideas for other items that we can have too. my family isn't really friendly
to the things i eat and it has gotten to the point were carrots and hummus
are the only things in my fridge that my sisters will touch.
maybe some watermellon salad? something summery.
i'm sure that 90% of you have been here before so just trying to get some
ideas!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 PM
usual suspect

cricket wrote:
i don't know if i want to buy any meat. i am going to school for cullinary
and i can cook meat, i just prefer not to. if they want to bring it and cook
it that is ok, but i wanted to be able to provide them with an alternative,
i see your point about not lecturing but half my family is married in
italians, so food and heated disscussion goes hand in hand.

And least you're open enough to let them bring their own meat. Most of
the other vegans here would have a fit about that. What alternative did
you have in mind that they would enjoy and you can live with? Consider a
DIY kebab buffet where you provide the veggies, grill, and skewers and
your family brings in whatever meat(s) they desire. Or something like
that. Go by their familiarity rather than your peculiarity. That way
everyone will partake of the same things, just differently.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 PM
cricket

I hadn't thought about that. I think I will try that. the carnivores won't
even realize that some people don't have meat on theirs!

Old 08-08-2005, 03:45 AM
rick

"cricket" wrote in message
nk.net...
I hadn't thought about that. I think I will try that. the
carnivores won't
even realize that some people don't have meat on theirs!

===================
You're inviting lions and tigers to your party? That would be
the only "carnivours" in attendance. You're reliogion is so
extreme that you can't even use words correctly, eh killer? I
suggest that the meat might have caused fewer deaths of animals
over all than your meals. Especially if you partake of tofu
faked meats.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 PM
usual suspect

cricket wrote:
I hadn't thought about that. I think I will try that. the carnivores won't
even realize that some people don't have meat on theirs!

That's the whole idea, and that way nobody is put off by lack of one
thing or the presence of something else. I've also done similarly with
DIY stir-fries where a variety of ingredients are arranged so everyone
can pick out vegetables, some fruits (e.g., pineapple), sauces, meats,
etc., on a plate or bowl and then I cook them and have bowls of rice or
noodles to accompany at the table. You said summery, so I thought
grilling kebabs would work better than a stir-fry.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
cricket

it was funny "ha ha" don't criticize about using words correctly.

"You're reliogion" ???

"rick" wrote in message
k.net...

nk.net...

Old 08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
C. James Strutz

cricket wrote:
I hadn't thought about that. I think I will try that. the carnivores
won't
even realize that some people don't have meat on theirs!

That's the whole idea, and that way nobody is put off by lack of one thing
or the presence of something else. I've also done similarly with DIY
stir-fries where a variety of ingredients are arranged so everyone can
pick out vegetables, some fruits (e.g., pineapple), sauces, meats, etc.,
on a plate or bowl and then I cook them and have bowls of rice or noodles
to accompany at the table. You said summery, so I thought grilling kebabs
would work better than a stir-fry.

Hmm, I wonder if you would patronize a vegan guest if they expressed
concerns about having their food cooked on the same grill that meat was
cooked on?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM
rick

"cricket" wrote in message
ink.net...
it was funny "ha ha" don't criticize about using words
correctly.
=======================

You invited NO carnivores to your dinner party, fool. It's
strickly used by vegan loons as an emotive spew to make yourself
'feel' better about your self-marginalization.

"You're reliogion" ???

===================
Yes, veganism IS a religion, killer.

"rick" wrote in message
k.net...

nk.net...

Old 08-08-2005, 11:18 PM
rick

cricket wrote:
I hadn't thought about that. I think I will try that. the
carnivores won't
even realize that some people don't have meat on theirs!

That's the whole idea, and that way nobody is put off by lack
of one thing or the presence of something else. I've also done
similarly with DIY stir-fries where a variety of ingredients
are arranged so everyone can pick out vegetables, some fruits
(e.g., pineapple), sauces, meats, etc., on a plate or bowl and
then I cook them and have bowls of rice or noodles to
accompany at the table. You said summery, so I thought
grilling kebabs would work better than a stir-fry.

Hmm, I wonder if you would patronize a vegan guest if they
expressed concerns about having their food cooked on the same
grill that meat was cooked on? ==========================

LOL Proof again that veganism isn't about the death, suffering,
or explotation of animals. Besides, far more animals died for
your veggies than for the meat I'm grilling tonight.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:49 PM
usual suspect

C. James Putz wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if you would patronize a vegan guest

I don't patronize ANY guest.