Light Cutter

Default Vegetarians may be learning disabled!

Vitamin B-12 (Cobalamin) is not bioavailable in plant form. The best way to get B-12 is from Meat.

A study I found while doing some research:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/3/762

Background: Lack of cobalamin may lead to neurologic disorders, which have been reported in strict vegetarians.

Objective: The objective of this study was to investigate whether cognitive functioning is affected in adolescents (aged 10-16 y) with marginal cobalamin status as a result of being fed a macrobiotic diet up to an average age of 6 y.

Design: Data on dietary intake, psychological test performance, and biochemical variables of cobalamin status were collected from 48 adolescents who consumed macrobiotic (vegan type) diets up to the age of 6 y, subsequently followed by lactovegetarian or omnivorous diets, and from 24 subjects (aged 10-18 y) who were fed omnivorous diets from birth onward. Thirty-one subjects from the previously macrobiotic group were cobalamin deficient according to their plasma methylmalonic acid concentrations. Seventeen previously macrobiotic subjects and all control subjects had normal cobalamin status.

Results: The control subjects performed better on most psychological tests than did macrobiotic subjects with low or normal cobalamin status. A significant relation between test score and cobalamin deficiency (P = 0.01) was observed for a test measuring fluid intelligence (correlation coefficient: -0.28; 95% CI: -0.48, -0.08). This effect became more pronounced (P = 0.003) within the subgroup of macrobiotic subjects (correlation coefficient: -0.38; 95% CI: -0.62, - 0.14).

Conclusion: Our data suggest that cobalamin deficiency, in the absence of hematologic signs, may lead to impaired cognitive performance in adolescents.

More problems with B-12 deficency:

VITAMIN B-12 DEFICIENCY SHOULD BE CONCERN FOR VEGETARIAN MOTHERS
During 2001, cobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency resulted in neurologic impairment in two children in Georgia. The children were breastfed by mothers who followed vegetarian diets. A recent report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) summarizes the two cases and provides guidance for health-care providers on identifying and preventing cobalamin deficiency among breastfed infants of vegetarian mothers.

Oh, I know an easy way to Avoid B-12 deficency...EAT MORE MEAT!

-CARP-

http://www.geocities.com/ncenginear/carp.html

Beach Runner

All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored. And still the
problem is very rare. You think you have cutting edge research, we've
known about that for years.

Light Cutter wrote:

> Vitamin B-12 (Cobalamin) is not bioavailable in plant form. The best way
> to get B-12 is from Meat.
>
> A study I found while doing some research:
>
> http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/3/762
>
> Background: Lack of cobalamin may lead to neurologic disorders, which
> have been reported in strict vegetarians.
>
> Objective: The objective of this study was to investigate whether
> cognitive functioning is affected in adolescents (aged 10–16 y) with
> marginal cobalamin status as a result of being fed a macrobiotic diet up
> to an average age of 6 y.
>
> Design: Data on dietary intake, psychological test performance, and
> biochemical variables of cobalamin status were collected from 48
> adolescents who consumed macrobiotic (vegan type) diets up to the age of
> 6 y, subsequently followed by lactovegetarian or omnivorous diets, and
> from 24 subjects (aged 10–18 y) who were fed omnivorous diets from birth
> onward. Thirty-one subjects from the previously macrobiotic group were
> cobalamin deficient according to their plasma methylmalonic acid
> concentrations. Seventeen previously macrobiotic subjects and all
> control subjects had normal cobalamin status.
>
> Results: The control subjects performed better on most psychological
> tests than did macrobiotic subjects with low or normal cobalamin status.
> A significant relation between test score and cobalamin deficiency (P =
> 0.01) was observed for a test measuring fluid intelligence (correlation
> coefficient: –0.28; 95% CI: –0.48, -0.08). This effect became more
> pronounced (P = 0.003) within the subgroup of macrobiotic subjects
> (correlation coefficient: –0.38; 95% CI: –0.62, - 0.14).
>
> Conclusion: Our data suggest that cobalamin deficiency, in the absence
> of hematologic signs, may lead to impaired cognitive performance in
> adolescents.
>
> __________________________________________________ _______________________________
>
> More problems with B-12 deficency:
>

> VITAMIN B-12 DEFICIENCY SHOULD BE CONCERN FOR VEGETARIAN MOTHERS
>
> During 2001, cobalamin (vitamin B12) deficiency resulted in neurologic
> impairment in two children in Georgia. The children were breastfed by
> mothers who followed vegetarian diets. A recent report from the U.S.
> Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) summarizes the two
> cases and provides guidance for health-care providers on identifying and
> preventing cobalamin deficiency among breastfed infants of vegetarian
> mothers.
>

> Oh, I know an easy way to Avoid B-12 deficency...EAT MORE MEAT!
>

> -CARP-
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ncenginear/carp.html

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored.

Ipse dixit. They OUGHT to, but ought doesn't imply that they DO.

> And still the problem is very rare.

Much less rare among vegans than among the general population.

By lowering homocysteine levels, B12 also reduces the risk of
heart disease, stroke, and other diseases. Vegans and
near-vegans who do not supplement with vitamin B12 have
consistently shown elevated homocysteine levels....

The overwhelming consensus in the mainstream nutrition
community, as well as among vegan health professionals, is that
plant foods do not provide vitamin B12. Despite this, some vegan
advocates still believe that "plant foods provide all the
nutrients necessary for optimal health" and, therefore, do not
address vitamin B12 when promoting the vegan diet. Other vegan
advocates acknowledge the need for B12, but only as an
afterthought.

The result is that many vegans do not eat B12 fortified foods or
supplements. Many have developed overt B12 deficiency. In some
cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12
supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky.
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro

Stop pushing your quackery on others, Boob.
Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:
> Beach Runner wrote:
>
>> All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored.

> Ipse dixit. They OUGHT to, but ought doesn't imply that they DO.
>
>> And still the problem is very rare.

> Much less rare among vegans than among the general population.
>
> By lowering homocysteine levels, B12 also reduces the risk of
> heart disease, stroke, and other diseases. Vegans and
> near-vegans who do not supplement with vitamin B12 have
> consistently shown elevated homocysteine levels....
>
> The overwhelming consensus in the mainstream nutrition
> community, as well as among vegan health professionals, is that
> plant foods do not provide vitamin B12. Despite this, some vegan
> advocates still believe that "plant foods provide all the
> nutrients necessary for optimal health" and, therefore, do not
> address vitamin B12 when promoting the vegan diet. Other vegan
> advocates acknowledge the need for B12, but only as an
> afterthought.
>
> The result is that many vegans do not eat B12 fortified foods or
> supplements. Many have developed overt B12 deficiency. In some
> cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12
> supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky.
> http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro
>
> Stop pushing your quackery on others, Boob.

You fool, it's a tiny problem compared with cancer and coronary artery
disease, improved with a vegan diet. And easily resolved, while the
meat diet problems are not easily solved.

Why are you here?
Every Vegan group warns about checking for B12, instead you attack
everything vegan. Why are you on this list?
usual suspect

Numbnuts wrote:
>>> All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored.

>> Ipse dixit. They OUGHT to, but ought doesn't imply that they DO.
>>
>>> And still the problem is very rare.

>> Much less rare among vegans than among the general population.
>>
>> By lowering homocysteine levels, B12 also reduces the risk of
>> heart disease, stroke, and other diseases. Vegans and
>> near-vegans who do not supplement with vitamin B12 have
>> consistently shown elevated homocysteine levels....
>>
>> The overwhelming consensus in the mainstream nutrition
>> community, as well as among vegan health professionals, is that
>> plant foods do not provide vitamin B12. Despite this, some vegan
>> advocates still believe that "plant foods provide all the
>> nutrients necessary for optimal health" and, therefore, do not
>> address vitamin B12 when promoting the vegan diet. Other vegan
>> advocates acknowledge the need for B12, but only as an
>> afterthought.
>>
>> The result is that many vegans do not eat B12 fortified foods or
>> supplements. Many have developed overt B12 deficiency. In some
>> cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12
>> supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky.
>> http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro
>>
>> Stop pushing your quackery on others, Boob.

> You fool,

You complete ass.

> it's a tiny problem compared with cancer and coronary artery
> disease, improved with a vegan diet.

Ipse dixit. Vegans die, too, you know. They die of heart disease and
cancer like everyone else.

Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

>>> Ipse dixit. They OUGHT to, but ought doesn't imply that they DO.

>>> Much less rare among vegans than among the general population.
>>>
>>> By lowering homocysteine levels, B12 also reduces the risk of
>>> heart disease, stroke, and other diseases. Vegans and
>>> near-vegans who do not supplement with vitamin B12 have
>>> consistently shown elevated homocysteine levels....
>>>
>>> The overwhelming consensus in the mainstream nutrition
>>> community, as well as among vegan health professionals, is that
>>> plant foods do not provide vitamin B12. Despite this, some vegan
>>> advocates still believe that "plant foods provide all the
>>> nutrients necessary for optimal health" and, therefore, do not
>>> address vitamin B12 when promoting the vegan diet. Other vegan
>>> advocates acknowledge the need for B12, but only as an
>>> afterthought.
>>>
>>> The result is that many vegans do not eat B12 fortified foods or
>>> supplements. Many have developed overt B12 deficiency. In some
>>> cases, the symptoms have cleared up after taking B12
>>> supplements, but not everyone has been so lucky.
>>> http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro
>>>
>>> Stop pushing your quackery on others, Boob.

>> You fool,

> You complete ass.

How kind. Does't address the issue.

>> it's a tiny problem compared with cancer and coronary artery disease,
>> improved with a vegan diet.

That FACT remains.

> Ipse dixit. Vegans die, too, you know. They die of heart disease and
> cancer like everyone else.

Yes, but far far more people die of cancer and heart desease. Let
other's be the judge.
Beach Runner

Beach Runner wrote:

> usual suspect wrote:

>>> You fool,

>> You complete ass.

> How kind. Does't address the issue.
>

>>> it's a tiny problem compared with cancer and coronary artery disease,
>>> improved with a vegan diet.

> That FACT remains.
>

>> Ipse dixit. Vegans die, too, you know. They die of heart disease and
>> cancer like everyone else.

> Yes, but far far more people die of cancer and heart desease. Let
> other's be the judge.

Notice even when I agree, vegans should get B12 checked, US insults me.

It turns out that B12 defiency is common even among meat eaters.
Everyone should get their levels checked. I did. While mine where
normal after 30 years of a vegan diet I agreed to inject B!@ to boost
the levels.

Newswise — These days, most health warnings about vitamins focus on
the danger of overdose. For vitamin B12, though, it's more likely that
people are getting too little. In fact, B12 deficiency is the most
common nutritional deficiency in the developing world and possibly in
the United States as well, reports the August issue of the Harvard
Health Letter.

Sometimes the only symptoms of a B12 deficiency are subtle cognitive
and neurological changes. More serious shortages can result in
dementia or anemia. Breast-fed infants of mothers with a B12
deficiency are at risk for severe developmental abnormalities and
irreversible neurological damage.

Vegans (people who don't eat any meat, dairy, or eggs) are most at
risk for developing a B12 deficiency because, aside from fortified
breakfast cereals, the only reliable dietary sources of vitamin B12
are animal-derived products. But even vegetarians who eat eggs and
dairy products consume, on average, less than half the adult
Recommended Dietary Allowance of 2.4 mcg of B12, notes the Health
Letter.

Some older people are also at high risk for developing B12 deficiency.
Up to 30% of people ages 50 and over suffer from atrophic gastritis, a
thinning of the stomach lining. This condition reduces the amount of
B12 absorbed by the small intestine. Certain other digestive
conditions and surgeries also can interfere with B12 absorption.

The Harvard Health Letter recommends that vegetarians and older people
with atrophic gastritis take a multivitamin, eat fortified breakfast
cereal, or both. A deficiency of vitamin B12 may affect balance,
memory, and perhaps mood. If you have these problems and you're in an
at-risk category, ask your doctor about getting a B12 blood test.

FULL STORY:
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/513540/?sc=dwtn
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:

> Beach Runner wrote:
>

>> usual suspect wrote:

>>> You complete ass.

>> How kind. Does't address the issue.

>> That FACT remains.
>>

>>> Ipse dixit. Vegans die, too, you know. They die of heart disease and
>>> cancer like everyone else.

>> Yes, but far far more people die of cancer and heart desease. Let
>> other's be the judge.

> Notice even when I agree, vegans should get B12 checked, US insults me.

You didn't say they SHOULD get their B12 checked, you said they DO.
That's NOT the same, dummy. Here's what you wrote:

All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored.

<...>
Laurie

"Light Cutter" > wrote in message
> Vitamin B-12 (Cobalamin) is not bioavailable in plant form.

Actually, it is...
=====
Mozafar, A.
Enrichment of some B-vitamins in plants with application of organic
fertilizers.
Plant and Soil 167:305-311, 1994.
Organic food suppliers often claim that organic foods grown on soils with
natural fertilizers have a better nutritional value than foods grown with
inorganic fertilizers. Although past studies, such as those published by
Gray and Daniel in 1959 or by Leclerc and colleagues in 1991, have shown
that organically grown produce had more vitamins, it was unclear if the
plants synthesized them or got them from the soil. In order to test the
origins of vitamins in plants, this researcher selected vitamin B12 for
study. This was because plants cannot manufacture it but microorganisms can.
In addition, large amounts of B12 are found in animal manure, a commonly
used organic fertilizer. This study looked at whether plants, specifically
soybeans, barley, and spinach, grown on soils amended with pure B12 or B12
in manure would have a higher B12 content than plants grown with inorganic
fertilizers. All plants contained a minimal amount of B12 in the
inorganically fertilized soil. Barley showed a threefold increase of B12 in
the harvested grain in both the pure B12 treatment (10.8 ng/g dry weight)
and the manure treatment (9.1 ng/g dry weight). In spinach leaves, B12
increased twofold in the manure treatment (17.8 ng/g dry weight) and 34-fold
in the pure B12 treatment (235 ng/g dry weight). Soybeans had a similar, but
not as dramatic trend. In addition, soil samples in fields receiving manure
over several years contained more B12 than those only receiving inorganic
fertilizers. These results show that B12 levels can be increased in
organically grown food through the use of manure fertilizers. This is good
news for vegetarians, who often have trouble getting enough B12 in their
diets. It is also good news for consumers who buy organic food because of
its better nutritional value. While this preliminary trial does seem to
indicate that vitamins can be absorbed from the soil, more studies should be
done with other vitamins to confirm these observations.

=====

http://www.ecologos.org/B-12.htm

A study I found while doing some research:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/3/762

> ... who consumed macrobiotic (vegan type) diets ...

The macrochaotic diet is a particularly horrific diet, consisting of
cooked grains and beans, essentially nothing raw, and no fruit.
It is not representative of a "vegan" diet.

> Results: The control subjects performed better on most psychological tests
> than did macrobiotic subjects with low or normal [sic] cobalamin status.

Then, "normal", i.e. meatarian, cobalamin status did -not- support
better performance.

Laurie

Laurie

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

> Much less rare among vegans than among the general population.

Unsupported propaganda, as usual.
http://www.ecologos.org/B-12.htm

Laurie

Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> Beach Runner wrote:
>

>> Beach Runner wrote:

>>> How kind. Does't address the issue.

>>> That FACT remains.

>>> Yes, but far far more people die of cancer and heart desease. Let
>>> other's be the judge.

>> Notice even when I agree, vegans should get B12 checked, US insults me.

> You didn't say they SHOULD get their B12 checked, you said they DO.
> That's NOT the same, dummy. Here's what you wrote:
>
> All responsible vegans have their B12levels monitored.

I said all RESPONSIBLE vegans, not all VEGANS.

Can you read the world Responsible and under the difference between ALL?
Apparently not.

You will not drive me from the group. Your insults are stupid. I don't
insult you. Why do you feel the need to insult people? Is it insecurity?

Every RESPONSIBLE vegan authority says to check B12 levels. In fact,
according to Harvard, everyone should get their B12 levels checked.

Much more common is heart disease and cancer and much more common is a
typical American diet which over consumes meat and under consumes leafy
vegetables and fruit.

Few Americans check their B12 levels but Harvard says everyone should.
Not just Vegans or vegetarians.

> <...>

Beach Runner

BTW. B12 grows on bacteria.
Unusual Suspects never admits he's wrong or apologize. I admit to my
mistakes. Mature people do. You did great service.

We need more vegans to retake this group from this hostile individual
unable to admit mistakes.

Laurie wrote:

> [...]

> its better nutritional value. While this preliminary trial does seem to
> indicate that vitamins can be absorbed from the soil, more studies should be
> done with other vitamins to confirm these observations.
>
> =====
>

>>The best way to get B-12 is from Meat.

> http://www.ecologos.org/B-12.htm
>

> A study I found while doing some research:
> http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/3/762
>

>>... who consumed macrobiotic (vegan type) diets ...

> The macrochaotic diet is a particularly horrific diet, consisting of
> cooked grains and beans, essentially nothing raw, and no fruit.
> It is not representative of a "vegan" diet.
>

>>Results: The control subjects performed better on most psychological tests
>>than did macrobiotic subjects with low or normal [sic] cobalamin status.

> Then, "normal", i.e. meatarian, cobalamin status did -not- support

rick

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
news
> BTW. B12 grows on bacteria.
> Unusual Suspects never admits he's wrong or apologize. I admit
> to my mistakes.

======================
No, you don't liar. Where's your calculations on water useage,
fool? Are you continuing to spew that ly?

Mature people do. You did great service.

> We need more vegans to retake this group from this hostile
> individual unable to admit mistakes.

==================
Ummmm, yep, sounds just like you, and every other wannbe vegan
here. There are NO real vegans on usenet, killer.

> [...]

>> this preliminary trial does seem to indicate that vitamins can
>> be absorbed from the soil, more studies should be done with
>> other vitamins to confirm these observations.
>>
>> =====
>>

>>>The best way to get B-12 is from Meat.

>> http://www.ecologos.org/B-12.htm
>>

>> A study I found while doing some research:
>> http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/3/762
>>

>>>... who consumed macrobiotic (vegan type) diets ...

>> The macrochaotic diet is a particularly horrific diet,
>> consisting of cooked grains and beans, essentially nothing
>> raw, and no fruit.
>> It is not representative of a "vegan" diet.
>>

>>>Results: The control subjects performed better on most
>>>psychological tests than did macrobiotic subjects with low or
>>>normal [sic] cobalamin status.

>> Then, "normal", i.e. meatarian, cobalamin status did -not-

mch

Hello
Is it said how much meat is necassary to eat so as not to suffer B12 deficiency?
Uzytkownik "Light Cutter" > napisal w wiadomosci ...
[...]

Michelle Smith

*sigh* Vitamin B12 is available in dairy products, and is produced by certain froms of bacteria so perhaps you should be saying eat dairy/eggs/dirt - not meat.

I agree with taking a b12 supplement now and again (hardly any is needed)- most vegans already do this in the form of fortified foods.

Examples of which include some Soya/rice milks, cereals, vitamin drinks. yeast extracts and some dairy free margarines.

"mch" > wrote in message ...
[...]

Developmentally Disabled Teen Found Dead with Uterus Removed AfterAccusing Stepfather of Raping and Impregnating Her Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 05-05-2016 05:40 PM
Disabled Veterans National Foundation. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 89 25-10-2014 08:19 AM
learning c++ Aslak Kärkkäinen Wine 0 25-06-2008 03:30 PM
Accommodation disabled or cerebral palsy diabetics B[_2_] Diabetic 0 16-06-2007 01:43 AM
Learning from experience John White Sourdough 19 09-03-2007 09:22 PM