Beach Runner

Default Surgar addiction with references

Yes, You Can Become Addicted to Sugar

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/10/sugar_addiction.htm

Although the term "sugar addiction" often appears in magazines and on
television, scientists had not demonstrated that such a thing as
sugar dependency really exist. Researchers studied rats that were
induced to binge on sugar and found that they exhibited telltale
signs of withdrawal, including "the shakes" and changes in brain
chemistry, when the effects of the sweets were blocked. These signs
are similar to those produced by drug withdrawal.

Sugar triggers production of the brain's natural opioids. That is a
key to the addiction process. The brain is getting addicted to its
own opioids as it would to morphine or heroin. Drugs give a bigger
effect, but it is essentially the same process.

The greatest value of the research is that it provides an animal
model of sugar dependency, allowing scientists to probe more deeply
the connections between food cravings and brain physiology.

In their experiments, the researchers started rats on a pattern of
bingeing by withholding food for 12 hours when the rats were sleeping
and through breakfast time, then giving them nutritionally balanced
food plus sugar water. The animals gradually increased their daily
sugar intake until it doubled, consuming most of it in the first hour
it was available.

When the researchers suddenly removed the sugar portion of the rats'
diet, the animals exhibited teeth chattering, a common sign of
withdrawal.

For some animals, the researchers removed the sugar and also
administered a dose of a drug that blocks the opioid receptors in the
brain. In addition to teeth chattering, those animals showed anxiety
and a reversal in the usual balance of neurochemicals in the brain's
motivation system.

Animals that binged on normal food with no sugar and received the
opioid blocker did not show these withdrawal signs. Animals that were
given a steady diet of food and sugar water without binging also did
not show signs of withdrawal.

Obesity Research June 2002;10(6):478-88

= = = = = = =

DR. MERCOLA'S COMMENT:

Let's be clear about this sugar addiction. It is not only sugar that
is the challenge here.

It is also most all of the grains, because most of the grains break
down to sugar very rapidly and cause the same problems with insulin
dysregulation.

One of the keys to riding yourself of the addiction will be complete
abstinence from all sugar and grains. Complete abstinence is required
to successfully resolve most addictions.

It will be very important to eat every two hours to avoid all the
symptoms of hypoglycemia. This is usually necessary for several days
to several weeks.

Complete abstinence will resolve the biochemical addiction in this
time.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

78 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health

http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar...s_of_sugar.htm

The following list was contributed by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D. who has a
web site at http://www.nancyappleton.com
She is also the author of the book Lick The Sugar Habit

In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may
result in a number of other significant consequences. The following
is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety
of medical journals and other scientific publications.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, concentration ifficulties,
and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
5. Sugar can adversely affect children's school grades.
6. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
7. Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial
infection.
8. Sugar can cause kidney damage.
9. Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
10. Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
11. Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency.
12. Sugar can cause copper deficiency.
13. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
14. Sugar may lead to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, and
rectum.
15. Sugar can cause colon cancer, with an increased risk in women.
16. Sugar can be a risk factor in gall bladder cancer.
17. Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
18. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
19. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitter called serotonin,
which can narrow blood vessels.
20. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
21. Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
22. Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children.
23. Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
24. Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey
hair.
25. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
26. Sugar can promote tooth decay.
27. Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
28. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and
ulcerative colitis.
29. Sugar can cause a raw, inflamed intestinal tract in persons with
gastric or duodenal ulcers.
30. Sugar can cause arthritis
31. Sugar can cause asthma.
32. Sugar can cause candidiasis (yeast infection).
33. Sugar can lead to the formation of gallstones.
34. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
35. Sugar can cause ischemic heart disease.
36. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
37. Sugar can exacerbate the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
38. Sugar can indirectly cause hemorrhoids.
39. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
40. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral
contraception users.
41. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
42. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
43. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
44. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
45. Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
46. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
47. Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
48. Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure.
49. Sugar can change the structure of protein causing interference
with protein absorption.
50. Sugar causes food allergies.
51. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
52. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
53. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
54. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
55. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA.
56. Sugar can cause cataracts.
57. Sugar can cause emphysema.
58. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
59. Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
60. Sugar lowers the enzymes' ability to function.
61. Sugar can cause loss of tissue elasticity and function.
62. Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the
liver.
63. Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes
in the kidney.
65. Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
67. Sugar can cause constipation.
68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
70. Sugar can cause hypertension.
71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
72. Sugar can cause an increase in delat, alpha and theta brain
waves,
which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly.
73. Sugar can cause depression.
74. Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming
high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
75. Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.
76. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
77. Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases
risk of blood clots.
78. Sugar increases the risk of Alzheimer Disease.

Bibliography
1. A. Sanchez, et al. "Role of Sugars in Human Neutrophilic
Phagocytosis."American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, November 1973,
pp. 1180-1184
2. F. Couizy, C. Keen, M.E.Gershwin, and F.P. Mareschi.Nutritional
Implications of the Interaction between Minerals. Progressive Food
and Nutrition Science 17, 1933, 65-87.
3. J. Goldman, et al. "Behavioral Effects of Sucrose on Preschool
Children," Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 14 1986 565-577.
4. D. Behar, J. Rapoport, Berg C., Adams, and M. Cornblat. "Sugar
Testing with Children Considered Behaviorally Sugar Reactive.
Nutritional Behavior 1 1984 277-288
5. Alexander Schausss. Diet, Crime and Delinquecny (Berkeley, CA:
Parker House 1981)
6. S. Scanto and John Yudkin. "The Effect of Dietary Sucronse on
Blood Lipids, Serum, Insulin, Platelet Adhesiveness and Body Weith in
Human Volunteers. Postgraduate Medicine Jmournal 45: 1969 602-607
7. W. Rinsdor, E. Cheraskin, and R. Ramsay. "Sucrose Neutrophlic
Phagocystosis and Resistance to Disease. Dental Survey 52. 12 1976
46-48.
8. J. Yudkin, S. Kang, and K. Bruckdorfer. "Effects of High Dietary
Sugar." British Journal of Medicine 281, November 22, 1980,p. 1396.
9. Ibid.
10. Lewis GF , Steiner G Acute effects of insulin in the control of
VLDL production in humans. Implications for theinsulin-resistant
state.
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada. Diabetes Care
1996 Apr;19(4):390-3 R. Pamplona, M.J. Bellmunt, M. Portero, and J.
Prat.
"Mechanisms of Glycation in Atherogenesis." Medical Hypotheses 40,
1990, pp. 174-181.
11. A. Kozlovsky, et al. "Effects of Diets High in Simple Sugars on
Urinary Chromium Losses." Metabolism 35, June 1986, pp. 515-518.
12. M. Fields, et al. "Effect of Copper Deficiency on Metabolism and
Mortality in Rats Fed Sucrose or Starch Diets." Journal of Clinical
Nutrition 113, 1983, pp. 1335-1345.
13 "Sugar and Prostate Cancer." Health Express, October, 1982, p. 41.

14. R.M. Bostick, J.D. Potter, L.H. Kushi, et al. "Sugar, Meat, and
Fat Intake, and Non-dietary Risk Factors for Colon Cancer Incidence
in Iowa Women." Cancer Causes and Controls 5, 1994, pp. 38-52.
15. Clara Moerman, et al. "Dietary Sugar Intake in the Etiology of
Biliary Tract Cancer." lnternational Journal of Epidemiology 22,
No.2, 1993, pp.207-214.
16. J. Kelsay, et al. "Diets High in Glucose or Sucrose and Young
Women."
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 27, 1974, pp. 926-936.
17. J. Lemann. "Evidence That Glucose Ingestion Inhibits Net Renal
Tubular Reabsorption of Calcium and Magnesium." Journal of Clinical
Nutrition 70, 1967, pp. 236-245.
18. H. Ed Taub, ed. "Sugar Weakens Eyesight." VM Newsletter 5, May
1986.
19. Richard Wurtman. University of California, Berkeley, Newsletter
6, No. 3, December 1989, pp.4-5.
20 .William Dufty. Sugar Blues. (New York: Warner Books,1975.)
21. Ibid.
22. J. Lewis. "Health Briefings." Fort Worth Star Telegram, June 11,
1990.
23. Katz RJ , Ratner RE , Cohen RM , Eisenhower E , Verme D Are
insulin and proinsulin independent risk markers for premature
coronary artery disease - Department of Medicine, Division of
Cardiology, George Washington University School of Medicine,
Washington, DC 20037, USA.
Diabetes 1996 Jun;45(6):736-41
24. Annette T. Lee, and Anthony Cerami. "The Role of Glycation in
Aging."
Annals of the New York Academy of Science 663, pp. 6370. D.G. Dyer,
et al.
"Accumulation of Maillard Reaction Products in Skin Collagen in
Diabetes and Aging." Journal of Clinical Investigation 91, No. 6,
June 1993, pp. 421-422.
25. E. Abrahamson, and A. Peget. Body, Mind and Sugar. (New York:
Avon, 1977.)
26. W. Glinsmann, H. Irausquin, and K. Youngmee. Report from FDA's
Sugar Task Force, 1986: Evaluation of Health Aspects of Sugars
Contained in Carbohydrate Sweeteners. (Washington, DC: Center for
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 1986, p. 39.)
27. H. Keen, B. Thomas, R. Jarrett, and J. Fuller. "Nutrient Intake,
Adiposity, and Diabetes." British Medical Journal 6164, No. 1, March
10, 1979, pp. 655-658.
28. T. Cleave. Sweet and Dangerous. (New York: Bantam Books, 1974,
pp. 28-43.) B.G. Persson, et al. "Diet and Inflammatory Bowel
Disease."
Epidemiology 3, No. 1, January 1992, pp. 47-51.
29. T. Cleave. Sweet and Dangerous. (New York: Bantam Books, 1974,
pp. 157-159.)
30. L. Darlington, Ramsey, and Mansfield. "Placebo-Controlled, Blind
Study of Dietary Manipulation Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis."
Lancet 8475, No. 1, February 6,1986, pp.236-238.
31. Lawrence Powers. "Sensitivity: You React to What You Eat." Los
Angeles Times, February 12, 1985.
32. W. Crook. The Yeast Connection. (Jackson, TN: Professional Books,
1984.)
33. K. Heaton. "The Sweet Road to Gallstones." British Medical
Journal 288, April 14, 1984, pp. 1103-1104.
34. N.J. Blacklock. "Sucrose and Idiopathic Renal Stone." Nutrition
and Health 5, No. 1-2, 1987, pp. 9-17.
35. J. Yudkin. "Dietary Fat and Dietary Sugar." Lancet, August 29,
1964, pp. 478-479.
36. T. Cleave. The Saccharine Disease. (New Canaan, CT: Keats
Publishing, 1974, p. 125.)
37. S. Erlander. "The Cause and Cure of Multiple Sclerosis." The
Disease to End Disease 1, No. 3, March 3, 1979, pp. 59-63.
38. T. Cleave. The Saccharine Disease. (New Canann, CT: Keats
Publishing, 1974, p. 45.)
39. T. Cleave, and G. Campbell. Diabetes, Coronary Thrombosis and the
Saccharine Disease. (Bristol, England: John Wright and Sons, 1960.)
40. K. Behall. "Influence of Estrogen Content of Oral Contraceptives
and Consumption of Sucrose on Blood Parameters." DiseaseAbstracts
International B. 43, 1982, p. 1437.
41. W. Glinsmann, H. Irausquin, and K. Youngmee. Report from FDA's
Sugar Task Force, 1986: Evaluation of Health Aspects of Sugars
Contained in Carbohydrate Sweeteners. (Washington, DC: Center for
Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 1986, p. 39.)
42. Nancy Appleton. Lick the Sugar Habit Bones. (Garden City Park,
NY: "Reaction of Monosaccharides Avery Publishing Group, 1989, with
Protein: Possible Evolupp. 36-38.)
43. Schrezenmeir J III.Hyperinsulinemia, hyperproinsulinemia and
insulin resistance in the metabolic syndrome. Medical Clinic,
Johannes-Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany. Experientia 1996 May
15;52(5):426-32
44. H. Beck-Nelson., O. Pedersen, and Sorensen Schwartz. "Effects of
Diet
on the Cellular Insulin Binding and the Insulin Sensitivity in Young
Healthy Subjects." Diabetes 15, 1978, pp. 289-296.
45. H. Keen, B. Thomas, R. Jarrett, and J. Fuller. "Nutritional
Factors
in
Diabetes Mellitus." J. Yudkin, ed. Applied Science, 1977, pp. 89-108.

46. L. Gardner, and S. Reiser. "Effects of Dietary Carbohydrate on
Fasting
Levels of Human Growth Hormone and Cortisol." Proceedings of the
Society
for Experimental Biology and Medicine 169, 1982, pp. 3640.
47. S. Reiser. "Effects of Dietary Sugars on Metabolic Risk Factors
Associated with Heart Disease." Nutritional Health 3,1985, pp.
203-216
48. R. Hodges, and T. Rebello. "Carbohydrates and Blood Pressure."
Annals
of Internal Medicine 98, 1983, pp. 838-841.Insulin, hypertension and
antihypertensive drugs in elderly patients: the Rotterdam Study.
Stolk
RP
, Hoes AW , Pols HA , Hofman A , de Jong PT , Lamberts SW , Grobbee
DE
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus University
Medical
School, Rotterdam,The Netherlands. J Hypertens 1996 Feb;14(2):237-42
49. J. Simmons. "Is the Sand of Time Sugar?" Longevity, June 1990,
pp.
49-53. F. Bunn, and P.J. Higgins. Significance." Science 213, July
10,
1981, pp. 222-224. Anthony Cerarni, Helen Vlassara, and Michael
Brownlee.
"Glucose and Aging." Scientific American, May 1987, p.90.
50 Nancy Appleton. Healthy Bones. (Garden City Park, NY: Avery
Publishing
Group, 1991.)
51.Jenkins DJ , Jenkins ALNutrition principles and diabetes. A role
for
"lente carbohydrate"? Department of Nutritional Sciences, University
of
Toronto, Ontario,Canada. Diabetes Care 1995 Nov;18(11):1491-
8"Sucrose
Induces Diabetes in Cats." Federal Protocol 6, No. 97, 1974.
52.T. Cleave. The Saccharine Disease. (New Canaan, CT: Keats
Publishing,
1974, pp. 132-133.)
53. Ibid.
54. Ruth L. Caccaro, and J. Stamle. "Relationship of Postload Plasma
Glucose to Mortality with a Follow-Up." Diabetic Care 15, No. 10,
October
1992.
55. Annette T. Lee, and Anthony Cerami. "Modifications of Proteins
and
Nucleic Acids by Reducing Sugars: Possible Role in Aging." Handbook
of
the
Biology of Aging. (New York: Academic Press, 1990.)
56. Suresh I.S. Rattan, Anastasia Derventzi, and Brian Clark.
"Protein
Synthesis, Post-translational Modifications, and Aging." Annals of
the
New
York Academy of Sciences 663, 1992, pp. 48- 62.
57.V.M. Monnier. "Nonenzymatic Glycosylation, the Maillard Reaction
and
the Aging Process." Journal of Gerontology 45, No. 4, 1990, pp.
105-110.
58. R Pamplona, M.J. Bellmunt, M. Portero, and J. Prat "Mechanisms of
Glycation in Atherogenesis." Medical Hypotheses 40, 1990, pp.174-181.

59. Ibid.
60. Nancy Appleton. Healthy Bones. (Garden City Park, NY: Avery
Publishing
Group, 1991.)
61. Annette T. Lee, and Anthony Cerami. "The Role of Glycation in
Aging."
Annals of theNew York Academy of Science 663, pp.63-70.
62. Frances Sheridan Goulart. "Are You Sugar Smart?" American
Fitness,
March-April 1991, pp. 34-38.
63. Ibid.
64. Ibid.
65. Ibid. Kurt Greenberg. "An Update on the Yeast Connection." Health

News
and Review, Spring 1990, p. 10.
66. Frances Sheridan Goulart. "Are You Sugar Smart?" American
Fitness,
March-April 1991, pp. 34-38.
67. Ibid.
68. Ibid.
69. Ibid.
70. Landsberg L Insulin sensitivity in the pathogenesis of
hypertension
and hypertensive complications. Department of Medicine, Northwestern
University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA. Clin Exp
Hypertens 1996 Apr-May;18(3-4):337-46
71.Jonell Nash. "Health Contenders." Essence 23, January 1992, pp.
79-81.
E. Grand. "Food Allergies and Migraine." Lancet 8126, No. 1, 1979,
pp.
955-959.
72. Larry Christensen. "The Role of Caffeine and Sugar in
Depression."
The
Nutrition Report 9, No. 3, March 1991, pp. 17-24.
73. Ibid.
74. Shelton Reiser, J. Hallfrisch, M. Fields, et al. "Effects of
Sugars
on
Indices on Glucose Tolerance in Humans." American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition 43, 1986, pp. 151-159.
75. W. Kruis, G. Forstraier, C. Scheurlen, and F. Stellaard. "Effects

of
Diets Low and High in Refined Sugars on Gut Transit, Bile Acid
Metabolism
and Bacterial Fermentation." Gut 32, 1991, pp. 367-370.
76. John Yudkin. "Metabolic Changes Induced by Sugar in Relation to
Coronary Heart Disease and Diabetes." Nutrition and Health 5, No.1-2,
1987, pp. 5-8.
77. Ibid.
78.Craft S , Newcomer J , Kanne S , Dagogo-Jack S , Cryer P , Sheline
,
Luby J , Dagogo-Jack A, Alderson A Memory improvement following
induced
hyperinsulinemia in Alzheimer's disease. Department of Psychology,
Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA. Neurobiol Aging 1996
Jan-Feb;17(1):123-30
rick

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> Yes, You Can Become Addicted to Sugar

Hey fool, did you really read it? You also have to give up
grains. So much for vegan being healthy, eh killer?

> [...]
>
> of
> Diets Low and High in Refined Sugars on Gut Transit, Bile Acid
> Metabolism
> and Bacterial Fermentation." Gut 32, 1991, pp. 367-370.
> 76. John Yudkin. "Metabolic Changes Induced by Sugar in
> Relation to
> Coronary Heart Disease and Diabetes." Nutrition and Health 5,
> No.1-2,
> 1987, pp. 5-8.
> 77. Ibid.
> 78.Craft S , Newcomer J , Kanne S , Dagogo-Jack S , Cryer P ,
> Sheline
> ,
> Luby J , Dagogo-Jack A, Alderson A Memory improvement following
> induced
> hyperinsulinemia in Alzheimer's disease. Department of
> Psychology,
> Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA. Neurobiol

usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
> Yes, You Can Become Addicted to Sugar

Bullshit, and the "references" aren't footnoted. Most of them have
nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of addiction.

<...>

hot sauce addiction tert in seattle General Cooking 16 06-11-2012 11:29 PM
Re-Addiction Earl Coffee 1 15-10-2005 05:08 PM
Need Help making Gomme/Surgar Syrup Von Fourche General 8 24-07-2005 06:40 PM
Chocolate Addiction Lisa Chocolate 5 13-09-2004 05:22 PM
cooking for one - good references? Raelene General Cooking 8 08-01-2004 09:06 PM