Beach Runner

Default Take action against Bush's anti environmental bill

================================
NRDC's EARTH ACTION:
The agenda is clear. Environemntalism. The second agenda is we must move
in another direction of alternative energy.

The Bulletin for Environmental Activists

July 26, 2005

Emergency alert:
Tell Congress to say NO to the pro-polluter energy bill
Take action now at
http://www.nrdcaction.org/action/ind...p=2&item=52886

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, House and Senate negotiators put the
finishing touches on a final version of the energy bill. President Bush has
been calling for a bill to sign before Congress breaks for August, so the
bill's supporters are furiously trying to schedule votes on the
legislation by
the end of this week.

But instead of delivering a responsible energy policy that would reverse
America's growing dependence on oil, invest in efficient and renewable
energy
technologies, reduce global warming and lower energy costs for
consumers, the
energy conference committee's final bill represents missed opportunities
and a
huge waste of, well, energy.

The bill would prolong -- and possibly even worsen -- our dangerous
dependence
on oil and do nothing to reduce global warming pollution. It would give
billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies to oil companies, which are
reporting
record profits, and to other polluting industries. The bill also would
subsidize the nuclear industry, even though nuclear power poses a range of
unresolved health and safety problems.

In addition, the bill would require the federal government to perform a
harmful
seismic inventory of offshore oil and gas resources, even in areas where
drilling is currently banned. The bill also includes exemptions for the
oil and
gas industries from important environmental laws that protect our health
and
drinking water, as well as our treasured public lands throughout the west.

You would think that all these destructive trade-offs would at least
mean lower
prices for consumers, but everyone in Congress and the Bush administration
admits that the bill won't do a thing to bring down prices at the pump.
Before
senators and representatives cast their votes in the next few days, they
need
to hear that we expect much more from our elected officials than this poor
excuse for a comprehensive energy policy.

== What to do ==
Send a message *right away* urging your senators and representative to
vote No
on the energy bill (H.R. 6).

== Contact information ==
You can email or fax your senators and representative directly from NRDC's
Earth Action Center at
http://www.nrdcaction.org/action/ind...p=2&item=52886
Phone calls are also very important right now, so if you have a moment
to call
your senators and representative, the Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-
3121.

Please also forward this message to everyone you know, and urge them to
take
action as well.

Thank you!

send an email message to with REMOVE in the
subject
line.

==========
About NRDC
==========

The Natural Resources Defense Council is a nonprofit environmental
organization
with more than one million members and online activists, and a staff of
scientists, attorneys and environmental experts. Our mission is to
protect the
planet's wildlife and wild places and ensure a safe and healthy
environment for
all living things.

For more information about NRDC or how to become a member of NRDC, please
contact us at:

Natural Resources Defense Council
40 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
212-727-4511 (voice) / 212-727-1773 (fax)
Email:

http://www.nrdc.org