Default want to be vegan

Hi, this is my first post and I am looking for vegans (especially those with
children) with whom to discuss vegan issues, findings, and more.

Here is the story of my falling out but hopeful redemption with veganism:
I was vegan for about two years. Then I started working in a bakery. Lunch
was free, so I ate vegan cookies and removed the cheese from veggie
sandwiches. They carried soymilk, too, so there's really no excuse for what
happened, but I started to eat things with butter or eggs in them. At that
point I felt addicted after being "clean" for so long. I told myself it
didn't matter, but in the space of a few short months I gained 10 lbs and
lost alot of respect for myself. Previously I felt great and never even had
a cold, yet soon became congested and plauged with headaches. I am now, 5
months later, pregnant, and had always dreamed of having a vegan family
Here's the trouble: my fiance is a "meat and potatoes" type of guy. He's
even asked me if I planned to raise our child vegan, and didn't seem to like
the idea. I no longer work at the bakery, and have re-evaluated my
lifestyle, making changes like using dairy and meat alternatives.
Surprisingly enough, my fiance will now drink my soymilk with chocolate
powder (till we've run out,) although at first he teased me about needing
special milk. When I said he'd better buy himself some milk because I was
almost out of soy he seemed a little reluctant. I've decided to fix vegan
dishes for dinner, being casual about it, but not hiding the fact. Perhaps
he will realize that vegan food is delicious and healthy. What I can't
decide is: should cater to my tastes completely...shopping for
health-inspired food only, or please him, too, with the usual egg breakfast,
grilled cheese sandwiches, and deep fried frozen things. There is a twist on
that, as well, since those things seem appealing when he cooks them. I end
up eating whatever salty, over processed junk there is and feel wretched
after (upset stomach, constipation, etc..). I suppose I am a bit of a
pushover when it comes to food in my house, so for me, not buying is the
only way to complete abstination. I worry, though, that such an abrupt end
to his meat, fat, and sugar with cause problems and possible rebellion.

Long story short, has anyone else out there been through something similar?
Any stories or feedback is most welcome. As I say it is my first time
posting to a message board and I am sad to have read so many negative posts,
not merely debating but vicious and hostile remarks. I'd like to say,
however, that "coming out" as Vegan in the past and asserting myself in this
lifestyle has had positive and far-reaching effects, not only for my self
esteem but for the courage I had to muster against the onslaught of opposing
and sometimes rude people. These attacks, however, not only strengthened my
resolve to prove them wrong, but also gave me a deep sense of pride which I
remember today and wish to perpetuate into the future with my re-commitment
to the vegan lifestyle. That said, attack if you must, but I do not wish to
debate.
Thanks,
-Lilly

Steve

H wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post and I am looking for vegans (especially those with
> children) with whom to discuss vegan issues, findings, and more.

Cool.

>I worry, though, that such an abrupt end
> to his meat, fat, and sugar with cause problems and possible rebellion.

Many relationships like yours work very well if the veggie volunteers to
do the shopping, cooking and makes tasty recipies. The omni then just
gets meat when s/he goes out. Everyone is happy

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Sarah Carter

Steve > wrote in message

> >I worry, though, that such an abrupt end
> > to his meat, fat, and sugar with cause problems and possible rebellion.

> Many relationships like yours work very well if the veggie volunteers to
> do the shopping, cooking and makes tasty recipies. The omni then just
> gets meat when s/he goes out. Everyone is happy

That's what I do at home with my husband who eats meat and it works well.
Occassionally he cooks meat for himself at home too. He washes up the meaty
pots and pans too which is very helpful.

I only cook vegetarian food, and find this arrangement to work well.

Sarah

thanks, Steve for the suggestion. I actually brought it up to my bf and he
says o.k. Now I just have to look through the cookbooks and find some good
stuff to make

dh@.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:11:05 -0700, "H" > wrote:

>These attacks, however, not only strengthened my
>resolve to prove them wrong,

About what?

>but also gave me a deep sense of pride

In what?