FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   IGF-1 Confirmed in Prostate Cancer (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/55966-igf-1-confirmed-prostate.html)

[email protected] 05-03-2005 08:03 PM

IGF-1 Confirmed in Prostate Cancer

From: "Robert Cohen" <notmilk@e...>
Date: Thu Mar 3, 2005 9:01 am
Subject: New Research Confirms IGF-I Induces Prostate Cancer

..

New Research Confirms IGF-I Induces Prostate Cancer

This one's Greek to me and to the scientists
at the University of Patras. Remember the
name Papatsoris. He is the lead researcher.

In Yiddish, his name might be translated as
the "grandfather of all bad & painful misfortunes."
How appropriate that is to his discovery, which
might translate into next year's Nobel Prize.
(Trends Mol Med. 2005 Feb;11(2):52-55.)

His team of Greek biochemists have established unique
insights into the novel pathways and networks in which
insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) works to initiate and
establish prostate cancers.

IGF-I is identical in cows and humans. IGF-I has been
identified as a key factor in the growth of human cancer.
People drinking milk have increased levels of IGF-I in
their bodies. For scientific support, see:

http://www.notmilk.com/g.html

Here is the abstract to their study as posted on Medline:

"Nearly a decade has passed since the hypothesis that the
insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signalling cascade is
involved in prostate carcinogenesis. Recent research has
outlined the association of circulating IGF-1 and prostate
cancer risk, and studies have elucidated the implication of
the IGF network in the early stages of prostate carcinogenesis.

Moreover, it has been suggested that IGF-1 induces
ligand-independent activation of the androgen receptor and
enhances the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and
urokinase plasminogen activator. Furthermore, progression
to androgen independence has been linked to deregulation of
the IGF-1-IGF-1-receptor axis. Here, we report on updated
studies that contribute to the unravelling of the IGF
'circuitry' in prostate cancer cells, with the anticipation
that relevant pharmacological 'rewiring' might offer novel
therapeutic regimens."

Robert Cohen
http://www.notmilk.com