Default New Link Between Cow Milk and Diabetes

From: "Robert Cohen" <notmilk@e...>
Date: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 am
Subject: Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence

..

Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence

Please share the following with a friend or family
member who had been diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes.

The February issue of the American Journal of
Epidemiology (2005 Feb 1;161(3):219-27) contains
new evidence linking milk and dairy consumption
with an increased risk of being diagnosed with
Type-2 diabetes.

Researchers at the National Public Health Institute
in Helsinki, Finland studied 4,304 persons who had NOT
previously been diagnosed with diabetes during the
baseline years (1967-1972) of this 37-year study.

Nearly nine percent of the participants were subsequently
diagnosed with diabetes (383 of 4,304). The scientists
divided each of those subjects into one of two distinct
dietary pattern groups.

Group "A" was characterized by their high consumption of
fruits and vegetables. Group "B" was defined by their
enormous consumption of milk, cheese, butter, and potatoes.

The Finnish researchers concluded that those in group "A"
(fruit & veggie eaters) were associated with reduced risks
of diabetes, while the cheese and potato heads were associated
wth higher risk of diabetes.

The authors conclude:

"In light of these results, it appears conceivable that the
risk of developing type 2 diabetes can be reduced by changing
dietary patterns."

For more on diabetes & milk, see:

http://www.notmilk.com/d.html

Robert Cohen
http://www.notmilk.com

Bruce Sinclair

In article . com>, wrote:
>From: "Robert Cohen" <notmilk@e...>
>Date: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 am
>Subject: Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence

>Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence
>
>Please share the following with a friend or family
>member who had been diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes.
>The February issue of the American Journal of
>Epidemiology (2005 Feb 1;161(3):219-27)

Oh ... right

>contains
>new evidence linking milk and dairy consumption
>with an increased risk of being diagnosed with
>Type-2 diabetes.
>
>Researchers at the National Public Health Institute
>in Helsinki, Finland studied 4,304 persons who had NOT
>previously been diagnosed with diabetes during the
>baseline years (1967-1972) of this 37-year study.
>
>Nearly nine percent of the participants were subsequently
>diagnosed with diabetes (383 of 4,304). The scientists
>divided each of those subjects into one of two distinct
>dietary pattern groups.
>
>Group "A" was characterized by their high consumption of
>fruits and vegetables. Group "B" was defined by their
>enormous consumption of milk, cheese, butter, and potatoes.

So ... where are the controls then ?

Bruce

(if there were any)
Michael Balarama

"Bruce Sinclair" > wrote in
message ...

wrote:
> >From: "Robert Cohen" <notmilk@e...>
> >Date: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 am
> >Subject: Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence

> >Milk-Diabetes Connection: New Evidence
> >
> >Please share the following with a friend or family
> >member who had been diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes.
> >The February issue of the American Journal of
> >Epidemiology (2005 Feb 1;161(3):219-27)

> Oh ... right
>
> >contains
> >new evidence linking milk and dairy consumption
> >with an increased risk of being diagnosed with
> >Type-2 diabetes.
> >
> >Researchers at the National Public Health Institute
> >in Helsinki, Finland studied 4,304 persons who had NOT
> >previously been diagnosed with diabetes during the
> >baseline years (1967-1972) of this 37-year study.
> >
> >Nearly nine percent of the participants were subsequently
> >diagnosed with diabetes (383 of 4,304). The scientists
> >divided each of those subjects into one of two distinct
> >dietary pattern groups.
> >
> >Group "A" was characterized by their high consumption of
> >fruits and vegetables. Group "B" was defined by their
> >enormous consumption of milk, cheese, butter, and potatoes.

> So ... where are the controls then ?
>

> Bruce

> It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
> think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone´s fault.
> If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, I´m one of Us. I must be.
> I´ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
> of themselves as one of Them. We´re always one of Us. It´s Them that do
> the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.
>
> Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
> (if there were any)

number one concern about diabetes is heredity-if it is in your family-be
careful-might have a propensity for Diabetes
Michael