Default New Prion Study

excerpt:
..
"Since ferritin shares considerable similarity between species, it may
facilitate the uptake of prions from distant species by the human
intestine,"said Singh."This important finding provides insight into the
cellular mechanisms by which infectious prions ingested with
contaminated food cross the species barrier, and provides the
possibility of devising practical methods for blocking its uptake," she
said. "If we can develop a method of blocking the binding of prions to
ferritin, we may be able to prevent animals from getting this disease
through feed, and stop the transmission to humans."

Currently, Singh's group is checking whether prions from distant
species such as deer and elk can cross the human intestinal barrier.

The study was supported by National Institutes of Health grants.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1220002446.htm

Del Crow

wrote in message oups.com>...
> excerpt:
> .
> "Since ferritin shares considerable similarity between species, it may
> facilitate the uptake of prions from distant species by the human
> intestine,"said Singh."This important finding provides insight into the
> cellular mechanisms by which infectious prions ingested with
> contaminated food cross the species barrier, and provides the
> possibility of devising practical methods for blocking its uptake," she
> said. "If we can develop a method of blocking the binding of prions to
> ferritin, we may be able to prevent animals from getting this disease
> through feed, and stop the transmission to humans."
>
> Currently, Singh's group is checking whether prions from distant
> species such as deer and elk can cross the human intestinal barrier.
>

> The study was supported by National Institutes of Health grants.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1220002446.htm

Mad Cow is Now Bad Cow, Mad Cow can Spread in Body Jan 22, 2005
In the evidence for the above statement, the tests were conducted on
mice which revealed that prions, the protein-like fragments that
transmit BSE and related diseases, can show up in organs they are not
supposed to if the mouse has an inflammatory condition. When mice were
given chronic infectious diseases of the liver, kidney and pancreas
and then inoculated with prions, the prions made their way to the
infected organs. (Express Newsline)

Ferritin is intersting, can carry within its structure hundreds of
iron molecules for eventual use in electron transfer. Maybe in
'prions" these have been rather used up and are being retired with
nowhere to go much like happens to Manganese within only 24 hrs in
vivo. I read an abstract recently which mentioned that "other"
molecules were also in with the iron. And ferritin is now found in
wells, presumably as bio-seepage? And wasn't there another suggestion
that the ferritin be added to bio-feed? It is in some human-type
vitamin supplements I've seen. Why does ferritin piggyback infective
prions? Magnetic charge? From where? BSE prions misfold at Manganese
where there ought to be copper; labs accellerate the replication of
prions a hundredfold by "heat-shock" (far infra-red) Why on earth
would a lab even consider "blocking" ferritin as a disease treatment?
............ Cheers, Del
Del Crow

(Del Crow) wrote in message . com>...

wrote in message oups.com>...
> > excerpt:
> > .
> > "Since ferritin shares considerable similarity between species, it may
> > facilitate the uptake of prions from distant species by the human
> > intestine,"said Singh."This important finding provides insight into the
> > cellular mechanisms by which infectious prions ingested with
> > contaminated food cross the species barrier, and provides the
> > possibility of devising practical methods for blocking its uptake," she
> > said. "If we can develop a method of blocking the binding of prions to
> > ferritin, we may be able to prevent animals from getting this disease
> > through feed, and stop the transmission to humans."
> >
> > Currently, Singh's group is checking whether prions from distant
> > species such as deer and elk can cross the human intestinal barrier.
> >

> > The study was supported by National Institutes of Health grants.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1220002446.htm

> Mad Cow is Now Bad Cow, Mad Cow can Spread in Body Jan 22, 2005
> In the evidence for the above statement, the tests were conducted on
> mice which revealed that prions, the protein-like fragments that
> transmit BSE and related diseases, can show up in organs they are not
> supposed to if the mouse has an inflammatory condition. When mice were
> given chronic infectious diseases of the liver, kidney and pancreas
> and then inoculated with prions, the prions made their way to the
> infected organs. (Express Newsline)
>
> Ferritin is intersting, can carry within its structure hundreds of
> iron molecules for eventual use in electron transfer. Maybe in
> 'prions" these have been rather used up and are being retired with
> nowhere to go much like happens to Manganese within only 24 hrs in
> vivo. I read an abstract recently which mentioned that "other"
> molecules were also in with the iron. And ferritin is now found in
> wells, presumably as bio-seepage? And wasn't there another suggestion
> that the ferritin be added to bio-feed? It is in some human-type
> vitamin supplements I've seen. Why does ferritin piggyback infective
> prions? Magnetic charge? From where? BSE prions misfold at Manganese
> where there ought to be copper; labs accellerate the replication of
> prions a hundredfold by "heat-shock" (far infra-red) Why on earth
> would a lab even consider "blocking" ferritin as a disease treatment?
> ........... Cheers, Del

Understanding and blocking the "piggybacking" of prion proteins is
probably what's meant here. Is it a magnetic charge that creates the
"piggybacking" and is manganese involved? Del