Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Dutch" >
> > wrote:

> >> No, you lose by virtue of being WRONG, and refusing to admit it and move
> >> on.

> > You continue to have a hard time with my "no"

> I don't give up on people easily.
>
> > and your desire to stay
> > connected to me in some way.

> There are usually two explanations for that, I think the other person has
> something learn from me, or I think I have something to learn from them.
>
> Were you implying that my interest in our discussion is unhealthy?

No, I just think it's cute when so-called straight men make such an
effort to stay connected to me. It's particularly fun when it happens at
dinner parties and social functions. Oh, the stories I could tell. I
always think it funny when a man holds his wife or girlfriend's hand
while investigating my crotch.
Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ron" > wrote in message

>> > It was only a question Rudy.

>> No, it was a false dilemma, one of those fallacies you don't understand.

> I stand corrected, Dutch.

Excellent!

> Rudy, do you prefer to be a good liar, or a
> bad liar?

Who would want to be bad at something?

wrote:

>>>No, that's not a means of claiming no responsibility.

>> Sure it is.

>It's not an effective means.

LOL! Okay, I get it, you're just kidding. We agree that
it is a very effective means.

>>>See Gaverick Matheny's paper on expected utility and
>>>shared responsibility.

>> Do they explain how a person can be responsible for
>> the death of an animal that happened before the person
>> was born?

>That's not the issue here.

LOL.

>>>In other words, she shares responsibility.

>> She/we deliberately become part of groups which are
>> responsible as a group, but since the deaths would take
>> place without our participation we're not personally
>> responsible.

>You are responsible: the deaths would not take place
>if everyone withdrew.

That doesn't in any way make me responsible.

>Matheny's paper deals with this well.

Why, does he have a singing pig or something like that?
Let's see it Gonad. Just post whatever it is you're so worked
up about, or I'll know that you know it's just more garbage
and it isn't worth posting.

>You cannot claim
>no responsibility.

Well, I can for the things I'm not responsible for, like the
deaths of the animals I eat. I am in absolutely no way
responsible for them, though I have contributed to some
of them. I'll soon be eating some chicken Gonad, and will
never in any way be responsible for the death of that bird,
or any other bird which has lived its life in the same chicken
house, or on the same chicken farm, or been raised by the
same chicken company, even if I eat some of them too.
Even if I eat 5 out of 30000 birds from a particular flock
I would not in any way be responsible for their deaths, and
nothing Matheny has ever said can change that.
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

>>> Sure it is.

>>It's not an effective means.

> We agree that
> it is a very effective means.

It is not an effective means at all.

>>> Do they explain how a person can be responsible for
>>>the death of an animal that happened before the person
>>>was born?

>>That's not the issue here.

>>> She/we deliberately become part of groups which are
>>>responsible as a group, but since the deaths would take
>>>place without our participation we're not personally
>>>responsible.

>>You are responsible: the deaths would not take place
>>if everyone withdrew.

> That doesn't in any way make me responsible.

Yes, it does: shared responsibility for an outcome
resulting from a process in which you and other play an
integral part.

>>Matheny's paper deals with this well. You cannot claim
>>no responsibility.

> Well, I can for the things I'm not responsible for, like the
> deaths of the animals I eat. I am in absolutely no way
> responsible for them, though I have contributed to some
> of them.

You just contradicted yourself. You bear
responsibility because without consumers like you,
there would be no animal industry at all.

wrote:

>>>It's not an effective means.

>> We agree that
>> it is a very effective means.

>It is not an effective means at all.

We agree that it is, so shut up.

>>>That's not the issue here.

LOL! What a Gonad.

>>>You are responsible: the deaths would not take place
>>>if everyone withdrew.

>> That doesn't in any way make me responsible.

>Yes, it does: shared responsibility for an outcome
>resulting from a process in which you and other play an
>integral part.
>

>>>Matheny's paper deals with this well.

It doesn't deal with it at all, as you have proven.

>>>You cannot claim
>>>no responsibility.

>> Well, I can for the things I'm not responsible for, like the
>> deaths of the animals I eat. I am in absolutely no way
>> responsible for them, though I have contributed to some
>> of them.

>You just contradicted yourself.

No. I would have been very surprised if you were capable
of understanding that a person can contribute to something,
without being responsible for whether or not it takes place.
You're just too stupid to understand things like that.

>You bear
>responsibility because without consumers like you,
>there would be no animal industry at all.

Without me, the animals would still be dead, so I'm not
responsible. But you're just too stupid to understand things
like that.

Rudy Canoza

****wit David Harrison wrote:

>>> We agree that
>>>it is a very effective means.

>>It is not an effective means at all.

> We agree that it is

We don't agree. It is not an effective means of
denying responsibility. It doesn't hold up to basic
philsophical scrutiny.

>>> That doesn't in any way make me responsible.

>>Yes, it does: shared responsibility for an outcome
>>resulting from a process in which you and other play an
>>integral part.

> It doesn't deal with it at all

It does deal with it, and very well.

The claim that "it would happen without me" doesn't
hold water.

>>> Well, I can for the things I'm not responsible for, like the
>>>deaths of the animals I eat. I am in absolutely no way
>>>responsible for them, though I have contributed to some
>>>of them.

>>You just contradicted yourself.

> No.

Yes. You contradicted yourself.

>>You bear
>>responsibility because without consumers like you,
>>there would be no animal industry at all.

> Without me, the animals would still be dead, so I'm not
> responsible.

You are responsible. Without you and all others like
you, there would be no animals.

You and all others who participate, no matter how
"atomically", are responsible.
Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ron" > wrote in message

>> > Dutch, it is considered socially unacceptable and the mark of passive
>> > aggressiveness to teach those who are not asking to be taught.

>> I can live with that.
>>
>> But that begs the question, when did you stop pursuing intellectual
>> development and why?

> LOL. Okay, your credentials to teach me anything would be...?

A predictable reaction from someone who wishes to maintain a closed mind.

>> > I'm comfortable with whatever assessment you make of me. This is again
>> > case of wanting to stay connected to the *** poster.

>> Your sexual preferences are immaterial to me. Are you looking for
>> clemency
>> because of them?

> Clemency? Immaterial? Moral arbiter? A frustrated judge who just fell
> short of the mark.

I respond to you because you are making commentary to a forum I watch and I
find your contributions raise interesting opportunities for response. It has
nothing to do with your sexual preferences.

Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ron" > wrote in message

>> > You continue to have a hard time with my "no"

>> I don't give up on people easily.
>>
>> > and your desire to stay
>> > connected to me in some way.

>> There are usually two explanations for that, I think the other person has
>> something learn from me, or I think I have something to learn from them.
>>
>> Were you implying that my interest in our discussion is unhealthy?

> No, I just think it's cute when so-called straight men make such an
> effort to stay connected to me. It's particularly fun when it happens at
> dinner parties and social functions. Oh, the stories I could tell. I
> always think it funny when a man holds his wife or girlfriend's hand
> while investigating my crotch.

You keep raising the issue of sexual motivation. I have considered the idea
that you keep these conversations going primarily as a way to have
connections with straight men. It certainly isn't for the usual intellectual
pursuits. In any case, true or not, I choose to ignore it. I also choose to
ignore the possibility that you are playing another sort of game, just a
form of trolling. I choose to believe that you are seeking intellectual
stimulation of some kind. I'm not saying these are wise or accurate
assumptions, but they'll do for now.

Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Dutch" >
> > wrote:

> >> I can live with that.
> >>
> >> But that begs the question, when did you stop pursuing intellectual
> >> development and why?

> > LOL. Okay, your credentials to teach me anything would be...?

> A predictable reaction from someone who wishes to maintain a closed mind.

> >> Your sexual preferences are immaterial to me. Are you looking for
> >> clemency
> >> because of them?

> > Clemency? Immaterial? Moral arbiter? A frustrated judge who just fell
> > short of the mark.

> I respond to you because you are making commentary to a forum I watch and I
> find your contributions raise interesting opportunities for response. It has
> nothing to do with your sexual preferences.

You avoided the point. I find based on your comments that you exhibit
many of the qualities that would make a judge. Whether that would make
you a good judge or any other type of judge is unknown. I find it
curious though that you would apply such legalese (my fascination with
sociolinguistics) to sexuality. Sexuality is a human endeavour with many
reasons driving the behaviour. Yet, in a culture sexually repressed and
religiously influenced you would apply legal terms to what many people
do on a fairly frequent basis -- engage in sexual relationships.

Sorry for raising the same issue, but repressed notions of sexuality are
consistent with what I've mentioned and what others have theorized on
the difficulties associated with eating disorders.

To deem sex as criminal or requiring leniency or clemency is, well, it's
the first time in all my years that i"ve heard the term applied to
sexuality.
Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Dutch" >
> > wrote:

> >> I don't give up on people easily.

> >> There are usually two explanations for that, I think the other person has
> >> something learn from me, or I think I have something to learn from them.
> >>
> >> Were you implying that my interest in our discussion is unhealthy?

> > No, I just think it's cute when so-called straight men make such an
> > effort to stay connected to me. It's particularly fun when it happens at
> > dinner parties and social functions. Oh, the stories I could tell. I
> > always think it funny when a man holds his wife or girlfriend's hand
> > while investigating my crotch.

> You keep raising the issue of sexual motivation. I have considered the idea
> that you keep these conversations going primarily as a way to have
> connections with straight men. It certainly isn't for the usual intellectual
> pursuits. In any case, true or not, I choose to ignore it. I also choose to
> ignore the possibility that you are playing another sort of game, just a
> form of trolling. I choose to believe that you are seeking intellectual
> stimulation of some kind. I'm not saying these are wise or accurate
> assumptions, but they'll do for now.

Since I've already commented on this, there is nothing new here. I've
already stated that I consider those who are abusive towards homosexual
men to be harbouring aggression for their own tendencies that they
resist. Pearl commented on this by supplying a snipet on projection.

The illusion of heterosexuality as a cover for homosexuality is know to
us. My only real surprise is that heterosexual women tolerate this. for
example, I remember one day on the subway when a "straight" man holding
his girlfriend's hand was flirting with me. She seemed to notice and
tolerated it -- although she did get angry and push his hand away
eventually. I would be foolish to think this was the first time that it
happened. Given I live in a largely heterosexual world, there are
certain patterns of behaviour that do become obvious.

Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message

>> > Clemency? Immaterial? Moral arbiter? A frustrated judge who just fell
>> > short of the mark.

>> I respond to you because you are making commentary to a forum I watch and
>> find your contributions raise interesting opportunities for response. It
>> has
>> nothing to do with your sexual preferences.

> You avoided the point. I find based on your comments that you exhibit
> many of the qualities that would make a judge. Whether that would make
> you a good judge or any other type of judge is unknown.

I take your meaning.

> I find it
> curious though that you would apply such legalese (my fascination with
> sociolinguistics) to sexuality. Sexuality is a human endeavour with many
> reasons driving the behaviour. Yet, in a culture sexually repressed and
> religiously influenced you would apply legal terms to what many people
> do on a fairly frequent basis -- engage in sexual relationships.

I'm not referring anything to sexuality, you're the one thinks everything is
related to repressed homosexuality.

> Sorry for raising the same issue, but repressed notions of sexuality are
> consistent with what I've mentioned and what others have theorized on
> the difficulties associated with eating disorders.

Of course you embrace such theories like gospel since they reinforce your
obsession with sexual dysfunction.

> To deem sex as criminal or requiring leniency or clemency is, well, it's
> the first time in all my years that i"ve heard the term applied to
> sexuality.

I'm simply trying to ascertain why you keep harping on sexual identity
problems. Could this be projection perhaps?

Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:

>> You keep raising the issue of sexual motivation. I have considered the
>> idea
>> that you keep these conversations going primarily as a way to have
>> connections with straight men. It certainly isn't for the usual
>> intellectual
>> pursuits. In any case, true or not, I choose to ignore it. I also choose
>> ignore the possibility that you are playing another sort of game, just a
>> form of trolling. I choose to believe that you are seeking intellectual
>> stimulation of some kind. I'm not saying these are wise or accurate
>> assumptions, but they'll do for now.

> Since I've already commented on this, there is nothing new here.

Good, because I don't care.

Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message

> >> I respond to you because you are making commentary to a forum I watch and
> >> find your contributions raise interesting opportunities for response. It
> >> has
> >> nothing to do with your sexual preferences.

> > You avoided the point. I find based on your comments that you exhibit
> > many of the qualities that would make a judge. Whether that would make
> > you a good judge or any other type of judge is unknown.

> I take your meaning.
>
> > I find it
> > curious though that you would apply such legalese (my fascination with
> > sociolinguistics) to sexuality. Sexuality is a human endeavour with many
> > reasons driving the behaviour. Yet, in a culture sexually repressed and
> > religiously influenced you would apply legal terms to what many people
> > do on a fairly frequent basis -- engage in sexual relationships.

> I'm not referring anything to sexuality, you're the one thinks everything is
> related to repressed homosexuality.

Sorry. I didn't realize that adult discussions about human sexuality
caused you distress.

> > Sorry for raising the same issue, but repressed notions of sexuality are
> > consistent with what I've mentioned and what others have theorized on
> > the difficulties associated with eating disorders.

> Of course you embrace such theories like gospel since they reinforce your
> obsession with sexual dysfunction.

Dysfunction? Some are clingy when it comes to traditional notions of
human sexuality. If the topic of human sexuality is that distressing,
please state that and I'll move on.

> > To deem sex as criminal or requiring leniency or clemency is, well, it's
> > the first time in all my years that i"ve heard the term applied to
> > sexuality.

> I'm simply trying to ascertain why you keep harping on sexual identity
> problems. Could this be projection perhaps?

Let's see. I'm openly *** and have been so for more than 20 years.
Family, friends, all know and social and professional contacts generally
know. So I would have to say no.

To return to what I stated several times, when I encounter so-called
heterosexual males who exhibit this behaviour it is usually that they in
fact are ***, but just need encouragement to make their disclosure.
Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Dutch" >
> > wrote:

> >> You keep raising the issue of sexual motivation. I have considered the
> >> idea
> >> that you keep these conversations going primarily as a way to have
> >> connections with straight men. It certainly isn't for the usual
> >> intellectual
> >> pursuits. In any case, true or not, I choose to ignore it. I also choose
> >> ignore the possibility that you are playing another sort of game, just a
> >> form of trolling. I choose to believe that you are seeking intellectual
> >> stimulation of some kind. I'm not saying these are wise or accurate
> >> assumptions, but they'll do for now.

> > Since I've already commented on this, there is nothing new here.

> Good, because I don't care.

So you've typed.
Dutch

"Ron" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Ron" > wrote in message

>> > You avoided the point. I find based on your comments that you exhibit
>> > many of the qualities that would make a judge. Whether that would make
>> > you a good judge or any other type of judge is unknown.

>> I take your meaning.
>>
>> > I find it
>> > curious though that you would apply such legalese (my fascination with
>> > sociolinguistics) to sexuality. Sexuality is a human endeavour with
>> > many
>> > reasons driving the behaviour. Yet, in a culture sexually repressed and
>> > religiously influenced you would apply legal terms to what many people
>> > do on a fairly frequent basis -- engage in sexual relationships.

>> I'm not referring anything to sexuality, you're the one thinks everything
>> is
>> related to repressed homosexuality.

> Sorry. I didn't realize that adult discussions about human sexuality
> caused you distress.

They don't. It's off-topic.

>> > Sorry for raising the same issue, but repressed notions of sexuality
>> > are
>> > consistent with what I've mentioned and what others have theorized on
>> > the difficulties associated with eating disorders.

>> Of course you embrace such theories like gospel since they reinforce your
>> obsession with sexual dysfunction.

> Dysfunction? Some are clingy when it comes to traditional notions of
> human sexuality. If the topic of human sexuality is that distressing,
> please state that and I'll move on.

False dilemma.

>> > To deem sex as criminal or requiring leniency or clemency is, well,

it's
>> > the first time in all my years that i"ve heard the term applied to
>> > sexuality.

>> I'm simply trying to ascertain why you keep harping on sexual identity
>> problems. Could this be projection perhaps?

> Let's see. I'm openly *** and have been so for more than 20 years.
> Family, friends, all know and social and professional contacts generally
> know. So I would have to say no.
>
> To return to what I stated several times, when I encounter so-called
> heterosexual males who exhibit this behaviour it is usually that they in
> fact are ***, but just need encouragement to make their disclosure.

Do most homosexuals think that everyone else is *** and just don't know it?
I have noted that homosexuals in general are obsessed with making a show of
their sexuality.

Really though, let's get off this topic, it has nothing to do with animals
or food.

Ron

In article >, "Dutch" >
wrote:

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Dutch" >
> > wrote:

> >> I take your meaning.

> >> I'm not referring anything to sexuality, you're the one thinks everything
> >> is
> >> related to repressed homosexuality.

> > Sorry. I didn't realize that adult discussions about human sexuality
> > caused you distress.

> They don't. It's off-topic.

> >> Of course you embrace such theories like gospel since they reinforce your
> >> obsession with sexual dysfunction.

> > Dysfunction? Some are clingy when it comes to traditional notions of
> > human sexuality. If the topic of human sexuality is that distressing,
> > please state that and I'll move on.

> False dilemma.

> it's
> >>
> >> I'm simply trying to ascertain why you keep harping on sexual identity
> >> problems. Could this be projection perhaps?

> > Let's see. I'm openly *** and have been so for more than 20 years.
> > Family, friends, all know and social and professional contacts generally
> > know. So I would have to say no.
> >
> > To return to what I stated several times, when I encounter so-called
> > heterosexual males who exhibit this behaviour it is usually that they in
> > fact are ***, but just need encouragement to make their disclosure.

> Do most homosexuals think that everyone else is *** and just don't know it?
> I have noted that homosexuals in general are obsessed with making a show of
> their sexuality.
>
> Really though, let's get off this topic, it has nothing to do with animals
> or food.

What about Rudy's quiz? How pertinent is that?
Dutch

"Ron" > wrote

>> Really though, let's get off this topic, it has nothing to do with
>> animals
>> or food.

> What about Rudy's quiz? How pertinent is that?

Not very.

Derek

To continue this debate, would you mind if we do
it under the more wholesome subject title "Free will
Vs Forced Complicity" I've started in a.a.e.v.?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:01:46 -0500, Ron > wrote:
>In article >,
> Derek > wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:42:02 -0500, Ron > wrote:

>> >Logical fallacy of a false dilemma.
>> >
>> >I have the choice of fighting back. I have the choice of avoiding the
>> >situation. I have choice of enduring your actions, risking a broken arm
>> >and seeing you prosecuted for assault. I have the option of matching
>> >your force to free myself. I have the option of escalating my forcing to
>> >counter act your force. I have the option of calling out for help. I
>> >also have legal options and illegal options to counter your act of
>> >aggression such carrying a knife, gun, pepper spray. I have the option
>> >of disabling you by attacking your kneecap, striking your nose with an
>> >upward thrust, gouging your eyes, or crushing your testicles.

>> All that, for friendly half Nelson? A bit rough. Seriously though,
>> despite any struggles, if Tyson decided you should stand with
>> your arm up your back, I'm sure he could force both of us to
>> comply and stand with our arms up our backs for however
>> long he wanted. In physical terms, then, forced complicity does
>> exist, but that's being a little unfair on my part because I'm sure
>> you were actually referring to our choices, and whether we can
>> be forced to comply with someone else's choices regardless of
>> our own. Enter free will. Do we really have it, or could it be that
>> we are compelled to act according to external influences and
>> antecedents?
>>
>> I've often argued that the act of acting indicates free will cannot
>> exist. I believe that if our will to act was truly free, set like a
>> balance scale in equilibrium with no external forces or antecedents
>> acting upon it, we would not act. We would remain at rest, and,
>> as I'm sure you're already aware, if something is at rest it cannot
>> be moved unless an external force acts upon it.

>You could have saved us both time, by simply stating this.
>
>If I were a ball, or a rock then, I might agree with you. While I can
>think of examples where a human acts in response to external forces,
>there are examples where humans act into their environment.
>
>For example, I just returned to my chair after making a cup of coffee.
>For your theory to hold true, we would need to identify what external
>force that causing me to respond. I listen to a particular type of music
>daily. Again, I cannot see the external force that I am responding to in
>this case either.
>
>This is at least causes me to wonder how you are using the term force.

Derek

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:01:46 -0500, Ron > wrote:
>In article >,
> Derek > wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:42:02 -0500, Ron > wrote:

>> >Logical fallacy of a false dilemma.
>> >
>> >I have the choice of fighting back. I have the choice of avoiding the
>> >situation. I have choice of enduring your actions, risking a broken arm
>> >and seeing you prosecuted for assault. I have the option of matching
>> >your force to free myself. I have the option of escalating my forcing to
>> >counter act your force. I have the option of calling out for help. I
>> >also have legal options and illegal options to counter your act of
>> >aggression such carrying a knife, gun, pepper spray. I have the option
>> >of disabling you by attacking your kneecap, striking your nose with an
>> >upward thrust, gouging your eyes, or crushing your testicles.

>> All that, for friendly half Nelson? A bit rough. Seriously though,
>> despite any struggles, if Tyson decided you should stand with
>> your arm up your back, I'm sure he could force both of us to
>> comply and stand with our arms up our backs for however
>> long he wanted. In physical terms, then, forced complicity does
>> exist, but that's being a little unfair on my part because I'm sure
>> you were actually referring to our choices, and whether we can
>> be forced to comply with someone else's choices regardless of
>> our own. Enter free will. Do we really have it, or could it be that
>> we are compelled to act according to external influences and
>> antecedents?
>>
>> I've often argued that the act of acting indicates free will cannot
>> exist. I believe that if our will to act was truly free, set like a
>> balance scale in equilibrium with no external forces or antecedents
>> acting upon it, we would not act. We would remain at rest, and,
>> as I'm sure you're already aware, if something is at rest it cannot
>> be moved unless an external force acts upon it.

>You could have saved us both time, by simply stating this.

By stating what; what I wrote above your line, or what you
write below this one?

>If I were a ball, or a rock then, I might agree with you.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here.

>While I can
>think of examples where a human acts in response to external forces,
>there are examples where humans act into their environment.
>For example, I just returned to my chair after making a cup of coffee.
>For your theory to hold true, we would need to identify what external
>force that causing me to respond. I listen to a particular type of music
>daily. Again, I cannot see the external force that I am responding to in
>this case either.
>
>This is at least causes me to wonder how you are using the term force.

The forces that motivate our will to act may be anything,
ranging from desires to fears and even time, but before
acting on those forces we reason with them to resolve
any conflicts between them so that we can act according
to own laws quickly. I might have the desire to smoke right
now, but carry a fear of cancer and heart disease, plus the
antecedent of going through a hard quit since last April.
Reasoning with these desires, fears and antecedents then
drives my will not to smoke.

If, on the other hand I'm found in a position of choosing
between two choices, and picking either carries the same
gain or loss, without the motivation of time I would dither
and not choose between either. Without a desire or fear
for either choice and no pressure to choose, I would not
act at all. I might act randomly and pick one object, but
that indeterminate choice wouldn't be of my own making,
so it wouldn't be accurate to assert that my free will was
the originator of that unintentional choice.

Reasoning, then, is the ultimate force that motivates our
will to act by resolving conflicts between our fears, desires
and antecedent events quickly.

Note that I've not posed a false dilemma; a third alternative
not to act (dither) is included, and it's because this third
alternative doesn't exist in the real World that I conclude
we cannot have free will.

For my assertion to gain any support, all that's required on
my part is to somehow prove that the act of acting proves
free will cannot exist.

1) If our will to act is in equilibrium and free from external
influences, time and antecedents, then we would not act.
2) We act
therefore
3) our will is not in equilibrium and free from external influences,
time and antecedents.
Derek

On 28 Jan 2005 14:55:13 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>> >I didn't.

>> As is usual with you,

>As usual with you, I don't tolerate your deliberate lying.
>
>**** off.

You categorically stated that, "it (Matheny's analysis)
also links vegetarians to the collateral deaths caused by the
production of the crops they eat.", and when I pressed you
on this issue you finally admitted that it was an extension of
YOUR OWN making which made the link rather than
Matheny's analysis itself,

"Based on my extension of his mechanism, *I* did it.
Matheny didn't need to cover it; I took care of it for him."

Your so-called "extension" doesn't link vegetarians to the
collateral deaths caused by autonomous farmers. Rather,
you've asserted it does without even explaining how this
"extension" of YOURS does it. You've got to do better
than that, Jon.

Derek

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:19:16 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:36:32 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>>"Derek" > wrote

>>>If consuming meat links the consumer to the deaths in
>>>meat production, and I agree it does, then consuming
>>>rice links the consumer to the deaths in rice production.

>> No. It only links the consumer the death of his rice.
>> Collateral deaths are contingent to the production
>> of rice, not antecedent to it.

>There is no meaningful difference.

That's a meaningless response and doesn't address what
I wrote above it. Matheny's article shows that meatarians
cannot rely on act utilitarianism to avoid moral responsibility
for the deaths they vicariously cause. Unlike the contingent
collateral deaths associated in crop farming, the target
deaths associated with meat eating are antecedent to it.
Matheny does not link collateral deaths in crop farming to
vegetarians. He links meatarians to the deaths they cause.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:36:32 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >"Derek" > wrote
> >
> >> Ipse dixit and false. Show where Matheny's article links
> >> vegetarianism to the collateral deaths associated in crop
> >> production,

> >If consuming meat links the consumer to the deaths in meat

production, and I
> >agree it does, then consuming rice links the consumer to the deaths

in rice
> >production.

> No. It only links the consumer the death of his rice.
> Collateral deaths are contingent to the production
> of rice, not antecedent to it.

**** you and your big words that you don't really understand (but I
do).

The logic expounded by Matheny links "vegans" to the deaths of animals
of the field that they don't eat by exactly the same mechanism that
meat eaters - not "meatarians"; no such word - are linked to the deaths
of the animals they do eat.

You share responsibility for the deaths caused by the production of the
food you eat.

Derek

On 31 Jan 2005 08:32:22 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:36:32 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> >"Derek" > wrote

>> >If consuming meat links the consumer to the deaths in
>> >meat production, and I agree it does, then consuming
>> >rice links the consumer to the deaths in rice production.

>> No. It only links the consumer to the death of his rice.
>> Collateral deaths are contingent to the production
>> of rice, not antecedent to it.

>**** you and your big words that you don't really understand

Ad hominem.

>The logic expounded by Matheny links "vegans" to the deaths of animals
>of the field that they don't eat by exactly the same mechanism that
>meat eaters - not "meatarians"; no such word - are linked to the deaths
>of the animals they do eat.

Matheny's article is to show that meatarians cannot rely on
act utilitarianism to avoid moral responsibility for the deaths
they vicariously cause. Unlike the contingent collateral deaths
associated in crop farming, the target deaths associated with
meat eating are antecedent to it. Matheny does not link
collateral deaths in crop farming to vegetarians. He links
meatarians to the deaths they cause. That's all.

>You share responsibility for the deaths caused by the production of the
>food you eat.

Ipse dixit and false.
Rudy Canoza

wrote:
> >Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote

> >> No. It only links the consumer to the death of his rice.
> >> Collateral deaths are contingent to the production
> >> of rice, not antecedent to it.

> >**** you and your big words that you don't really understand

> Ad hominem.

Nope. You didn't learn those words in school, nor in the course of
your employment. You don't naturally speak like that. You're only
using them in a futile attempt to make yourself sound more erudite than
a carpenter/car spark really is.

> >The logic expounded by Matheny links "vegans" to the deaths of

animals
> >of the field that they don't eat by exactly the same mechanism that
> >meat eaters - not "meatarians"; no such word - are linked to the

deaths
> >of the animals they do eat.

> Matheny's article is to show that meatarians

No such word as "meatarian".

Matheny's article lays out a kind of logical thinking about act
utilitarianism and contributory causation. It extends perfectly well
to "vegans" and the deaths of animals of the field in the course of the
production and distribution of the foods they eat. The linkage is
identical.

> >You share responsibility for the deaths caused by the production of

the
> >food you eat.

> Ipse dixit and false.

No, true. Matheny's logic extends perfectly to cover "vegans" and
their linkage to animal death.

Once again, you lose.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:53:44 GMT, Gonad wrote:

>****wit David Harrison wrote:

>>>It is not an effective means at all.

>> We agree that it is

>We don't agree. It is not an effective means of
>denying responsibility.

It proves that we're not responsible for things
that we're not responsible for.

>It doesn't hold up to basic
>philsophical scrutiny.

>>>Yes, it does: shared responsibility for an outcome
>>>resulting from a process in which you and other play an
>>>integral part.

>> It doesn't deal with it at all

>It does deal with it, and very well.
>
>The claim that "it would happen without me" doesn't
>hold water.

>>>You just contradicted yourself.

>> No.

>Yes. You contradicted yourself.

I would have been very surprised if you were capable
of understanding that a person can contribute to something,
without being responsible for whether or not it takes place.
You're just too stupid to understand things like that.

>>>You bear
>>>responsibility because without consumers like you,
>>>there would be no animal industry at all.

>> Without me, the animals would still be dead, so I'm not
>> responsible.

>You are responsible. Without you

Things would be as they are.

>and all others like
>you, there would be no animals.
>
>You and all others who participate, no matter how
>"atomically", are responsible.

The group is responsible, and a person is responsible for
joining the group, but that doesn't make a person responsible
for something that he had nothing to do with, and neither does
anything else.

Rudy Canoza

****wit David Harrison wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:53:44 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
>
> >****wit David Harrison wrote:

> >> We agree that it is

> >We don't agree. It is not an effective means of
> >denying responsibility.

> It proves that we're not responsible for things
> that we're not responsible for.

Empty tautology.

It doesn't prove anything of the kind, ****wit. Matheny clearly
demonstrates that the "it would have happened without me" excuse falls
apart.

> >It doesn't hold up to basic
> >philsophical scrutiny.

> >> It doesn't deal with it at all

> >It does deal with it, and very well.
> >
> >The claim that "it would happen without me" doesn't
> >hold water.

> >> No.

> >Yes. You contradicted yourself.

> I would have been very

You contradicted yourself, ****wit. You said you were a contributor to
a process that leads to an outcome but then disclaimed any
responsibility. That's absurd. You are responsible.

> >> Without me, the animals would still be dead, so I'm not
> >> responsible.

> >You are responsible. Without you and all others like
> >you, there would be no animals.

This is key, ****wit. You have to view yourself as responsible for the
deaths of whole animals.

> >You and all others who participate, no matter how
> >"atomically", are responsible.

> The group is responsible

Groups cannot be responsible, only individuals. ALL the individuals in
the group are responsible.

Derek

On 31 Jan 2005 09:01:04 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On 31 Jan 2005 08:32:22 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" >wrote:
>> >Derek wrote

>> >**** you and your big words that you don't really understand

>> Ad hominem.

>Nope.

[Argumentum ad hominem literally means "argument
directed at the man"; there are two varieties.

The first is the abusive form. If you refuse to accept
a statement, and justify your refusal by criticizing the
person who made the statement, then you are guilty
of abusive argumentum ad hominem.]
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#hominem

It's apparent that you've refused to accept my statement
and justified that refusal by criticizing me and my ability
to understand certain terms rather than the statement
itself.

>> >The logic expounded by Matheny links "vegans" to
>> >the deaths of animals of the field that they don't eat
>> >by exactly the same mechanism that meat eaters -
>> >not "meatarians"; no such word - are linked to the
>> >deaths of the animals they do eat.

>> Matheny's article is to show that meatarians

>No such word as "meatarian".

From here on, the term "meatarian" refers to a meat eating
person.

>Matheny's article lays out a kind of logical thinking about act
>utilitarianism and contributory causation.

Matheny's article merely shows that the meatarian cannot
rely on act utilitarianism to avoid moral responsibility for the
deaths he vicariously causes. Unlike the contingent collateral
deaths associated in crop farming, the target deaths associated
with meat eating are antecedent to it. Matheny does not link
collateral deaths in crop farming to vegetarians. He links
meatarians to the deaths they cause. That's all.
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

> >> Ad hominem.

> >Nope.

> [Argumentum ad hominem literally means "argument
> directed at the man"; there are two varieties.

That's nice. Also inapplicable, as I didn't make any "argument"
concerning your ostentatious misuse of two big words you don't
naturally use.

> >> Matheny's article is to show that meatarians

> >No such word as "meatarian".

> From here on, the term "meatarian" refers to a meat eating
> person.

There is no such word. It's nothing but a mean-spirited pejorative
used by a certain category of food nazis.

> >Matheny's article lays out a kind of logical thinking about act
> >utilitarianism and contributory causation.

> Matheny's article merely shows that

We're not interested only in Matheny's *article*, Uncle Dog-beater.
We're interested in the LOGIC. The logic extends perfectly well to
cover the linkage between "vegans" and the deaths of animals of the
field incurred in the course of producing vegetable crops.
Once again, you lose.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:19:16 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> No. It only links the consumer the death of his rice.
>>> Collateral deaths are contingent to the production
>>> of rice, not antecedent to it.

>>There is no meaningful difference.

> That's a meaningless response and doesn't address what
> I wrote above it.

What you wrote is not meaningful.

> Matheny's article shows that meatarians
> cannot rely on act utilitarianism to avoid moral responsibility
> for the deaths they vicariously cause.

In the Abstract he proposes that the argument that one serving of meat is
insignificant and that the animal would have died anyway does not hold up, I
agree with this. This is quite similiar to the conversion we had recently
where saying that if one votes for George Bush and he gets elected, one is
not responsible for his election because one vote is insignificant.

> Unlike the contingent
> collateral deaths associated in crop farming, the target
> deaths associated with meat eating are antecedent to it.

You can't show how that makes any difference in the moral outcome.

> Matheny does not link collateral deaths in crop farming to
> vegetarians. He links meatarians to the deaths they cause.

This line of reasoning also quashes the vegan complaint that their
consumption of rice may not be a significant enough cause for animal death
to be morally relevant.

Derek

On 31 Jan 2005 10:28:50 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:

>> >Nope.

>> [Argumentum ad hominem literally means "argument
>> directed at the man"; there are two varieties.

>That's nice.

No, it's a failure on your part to address the issues.

>> >No such word as "meatarian".

>> From here on, the term "meatarian" refers to a meat eating
>> person.

>There is no such word.

There is now, so whenever it gets used again, try not
to feign surprise and use that act of being surprised
as a dodge.

>> >Matheny's article lays out a kind of logical thinking about act
>> >utilitarianism and contributory causation.

>> Matheny's article merely shows that

>We're not interested only in Matheny's *article*

Says he, after being shown that it doesn't link the
collateral deaths in crop production to vegetarians.
Bad effort, Jon. Throw again.

Rudy Canoza

wrote:

> >> [Argumentum ad hominem literally means "argument
> >> directed at the man"; there are two varieties.

> >That's nice. I didn't commit ad hominem.

> >> From here on, the term "meatarian" refers to a meat eating
> >> person.

> >There is no such word.

> There is now

There is no such word.

> >> Matheny's article merely shows that

> >We're not interested only in Matheny's *article*

> Says he, after being shown that it doesn't link the
> collateral deaths in crop production to vegetarians.

The logic Matheny explained easily extends to perform that linkage.
The linkage is established.

Time for you to move on to some new wastage of time, Dreck. ****ing
cuckolded dog-beater.

Derek

On 31 Jan 2005 13:41:20 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:

>> >That's nice. I didn't commit ad hominem.

You've edited that above sentence without noting
it, hoping that the reader would believe I left your
comment unchallenged. Poor effort, Jon.

>> >There is no such word.

>> There is now

>There is no such word.

Whenever I use the term "meatarian", expect it to
identify a person who eats meat. Feigning ignorance
of what the term is intended to identify will henceforth
be seen as a dodge.

>> >We're not interested only in Matheny's *article*

>> Says he, after being shown that it doesn't link the
>> collateral deaths in crop production to vegetarians.

>The logic Matheny explained easily extends to perform that linkage.

Ipse dixit and false.

>The linkage is established.

Ipse dixit and false. Matheny's article has nothing to
do with collateral deaths, and you've yet to show
that it does, so until you do any claims that you make
asserting it does remain unsupported.
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

links

crop

production.

understand

> You've edited that above sentence

No. That's the sentence I wrote.

> >> There is now

> >There is no such word.

> Whenever I use the term "meatarian

you are using a pejorative non-word.

act

> >> Says he, after being shown that it doesn't link the
> >> collateral deaths in crop production to vegetarians.

> >The logic Matheny explained easily extends to perform that linkage.

> Ipse dixit and false.

Demonstrated, and true.

> >The linkage is established.

> Ipse dixit and false.

Established and true.

Ron

In article >,
Derek > wrote:

> [...]

> the originator of that unintentional choice.
>
> Reasoning, then, is the ultimate force that motivates our
> will to act by resolving conflicts between our fears, desires
> and antecedent events quickly.
>
> Note that I've not posed a false dilemma; a third alternative
> not to act (dither) is included, and it's because this third
> alternative doesn't exist in the real World that I conclude
> we cannot have free will.
>
> For my assertion to gain any support, all that's required on
> my part is to somehow prove that the act of acting proves
> free will cannot exist.
>
> 1) If our will to act is in equilibrium and free from external
> influences, time and antecedents, then we would not act.
> 2) We act
> therefore
> 3) our will is not in equilibrium and free from external influences,

There is a fourth option that will is an exchange or balancing of
internal and external forces. In the example that you used of smoking,
what is the external force where the desire to smoke begins and where is
the external force or internal force that allows you to resist the
external force or internal force to smoke.

In one respect, the idea of Id, Ego and Superego can be utilized here.
In that there is an external pressure and internal pressure and were
they meet is the boundary between the two. Worded differently, your
desired to smoke is met by the external knowledge of cancer and heart
disease. Where these two things collide is the creation of the boundary
between what you want and what you should do.

I did find a false dilemma in that there was an either or scenario. It
is also possible that two opposing forces work in conjunction. It is
also possible that two opposing forcing work in harmony.

Resistance and its polar equivalent are balance in the centre with a
boundary between the two. The desire to smoke (an internal force) is met
by the knowledge of X (an external force) -- or vice versa.

Interestingly, you have described a "will" to smoke, or a "will" to
resist smoking as a force. I find the term energy is more useful and
likely more accurate. I'm not sure though, how you chose the term
"force" to describe an interest or desire in smoking to begin with.

Scented Nectar wrote:
> > > I presented 2, homesteading and death.
> > > I forgot about getting a farmer to grow
> > > veganic for one or more. Both homesteading
> > > and hiring a farmer are not in most
> > > people's budget, that leaves only death
> > > or buying commercial. Have I left
> > > anything out? (keep in mind that eating
> > > meat is not an option, nor is it 0 death)

> > Let me ask you a question: what would you do if the only two

options
> were
> > eating meat and death? Just curious...

> I'd have to break down and eat the meat,
> which I consider unhealthy

Yet you have no evidence to support that consideration.

but healthier
> than starving. That's a last resort to me.
> As long as veg food is available, that's
> what I'll choose. Even when shown low
> deaths meats, which are rare (no pun)
> enough to NOT be able to supply all
> meat eaters, I will still choose a veg
> food. Some veg foods are 0 death,

Name one and then prove it.

> but meats always have at least 1.

False. If I kill one deer, that's anywhere from 100-200 servings. The
death toll per servng is then .005 to .01 animsls. Stop lying.

> Anyway, it's just healthier to not eat
> meat.

Prove it.

> --
> SN
> http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
> A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
> Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.

Rudy Canoza

Matheny said your wife was a good ride.

Derek wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:52:18 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>No, it does not.

>>Yes, it does.

> Ipse dixit and false. Show where Matheny's article links
> vegetarianism to the collateral deaths associated in crop
> production, and after you've done that show where his
> article concludes that the vegetarian is responsible for
> them.

His article doesn't explicitly do that. Based on my
extension of his mechanism, *I* did it. The expected
utility argument extends perfectly well to cover
"vegans" purchases of commercially grown produce, and
the deaths of animals in the field. Matheny didn't
need to cover it; I took care of it for him.

>>>The paper sets out to prove that, while
>>>some argue that act-utilitarianism cannot provide an
>>>adequate critique of buying meat, on the basis that a
>>>single meat purchase will not actually cause more farm
>>>animals to be raised or slaughtered, act-utilitarians
>>>cannot use actual utility as a decision procedure and
>>>must instead use expected utility to prescribe actions.

>>Next time READ THE WHOLE PAPER

> I have read it,

You did not. You did cut-and-paste from the abstract.
You only read the abstract.

>>>that such a mechanism
>>>links vegetarians to the collateral deaths associated in
>>>crop production.

>>Irrelevant.

> No, it is not.

Yes, it is irrelevant.

> Matheny doesn't show that such a mechanism
> links vegetarians to the collateral deaths caused by farmers
> in crop production.

It doesn't matter. He let the "expected utility" cat
out of the bag, and it ran right up and scratched your
claim of no responsibility to shreds.
Scented Nectar

> > > Let me ask you a question: what would you do if the only two
> options
> > were
> > > eating meat and death? Just curious...

> > I'd have to break down and eat the meat,
> > which I consider unhealthy

> Yet you have no evidence to support that consideration.

I have years and years of research and
personal experience. You don't have to
agree with me.

> but healthier
> > than starving. That's a last resort to me.
> > As long as veg food is available, that's
> > what I'll choose. Even when shown low
> > deaths meats, which are rare (no pun)
> > enough to NOT be able to supply all
> > meat eaters, I will still choose a veg
> > food. Some veg foods are 0 death,

> Name one and then prove it.

The zuchhinis and other produce I receive
each summer from friends with gardens.
The wild blueberries I picked on a camping
trip. The giant puffball mushroom that made
a huge meal for us at my mother's place.
The tomatoes and hot peppers from a
coworker's garden. It goes on and on.

> > but meats always have at least 1.

> False. If I kill one deer, that's anywhere from 100-200 servings. The
> death toll per servng is then .005 to .01 animsls. Stop lying.

Even if you only eat 1 serving the animal
still has to die (unless it's an amputation).

> > Anyway, it's just healthier to not eat
> > meat.

> Prove it.

No. That's for each to decide on their own.
I'm sure you can google stuff on both sides
of the debate. I'm not trying to talk you into
believing me, so I could care less about
going to all the work to prove it.

Are you Rudy's new name?

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:22:11 -0500, Ron > wrote:
>In article >,
> Derek > wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:01:46 -0500, Ron > wrote:

>> >You could have saved us both time, by simply stating this.

>> By stating what; what I wrote above your line, or what you
>> write below this one?
>>
>> >If I were a ball, or a rock then, I might agree with you.

>> I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here.
>>
>> >While I can
>> >think of examples where a human acts in response to external forces,
>> >there are examples where humans act into their environment.
>> >For example, I just returned to my chair after making a cup of coffee.
>> >For your theory to hold true, we would need to identify what external
>> >force that causing me to respond. I listen to a particular type of music
>> >daily. Again, I cannot see the external force that I am responding to in
>> >this case either.
>> >
>> >This is at least causes me to wonder how you are using the term force.

>> The forces that motivate our will to act may be anything,
>> ranging from desires to fears and even time, but before
>> acting on those forces we reason with them to resolve
>> any conflicts between them so that we can act according
>> to own laws quickly. I might have the desire to smoke right
>> now, but carry a fear of cancer and heart disease, plus the
>> antecedent of going through a hard quit since last April.
>> Reasoning with these desires, fears and antecedents then
>> drives my will not to smoke.
>>
>> If, on the other hand I'm found in a position of choosing
>> between two choices, and picking either carries the same
>> gain or loss, without the motivation of time I would dither
>> and not choose between either. Without a desire or fear
>> for either choice and no pressure to choose, I would not
>> act at all. I might act randomly and pick one object, but
>> that indeterminate choice wouldn't be of my own making,
>> so it wouldn't be accurate to assert that my free will was
>> the originator of that unintentional choice.
>>
>> Reasoning, then, is the ultimate force that motivates our
>> will to act by resolving conflicts between our fears, desires
>> and antecedent events quickly.
>>
>> Note that I've not posed a false dilemma; a third alternative
>> not to act (dither) is included, and it's because this third
>> alternative doesn't exist in the real World that I conclude
>> we cannot have free will.
>>
>> For my assertion to gain any support, all that's required on
>> my part is to somehow prove that the act of acting proves
>> free will cannot exist.
>>
>> 1) If our will to act is in equilibrium and free from external
>> influences, time and antecedents, then we would not act.
>> 2) We act
>> therefore
>> 3) our will is not in equilibrium and free from external influences,
>> time and antecedents.

>There is a fourth option that will is an exchange or balancing of
>internal and external forces.

I did imply this option and described it as our reasoning
when writing, "Reasoning, then, is the ultimate force that
motivates our will to act by resolving conflicts between
our fears, desires and antecedent events quickly."

>In the example that you used of smoking,
>what is the external force

It may be any one of a number of forces which carry
"A capacity for affecting the mind or behavior"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=force

Watching someone light up still provokes me to do the
same, for example, so there's one external force to be
considered. Antecedent events such as a long history
of smoking could qualify as a valid weighting factor as
well.

>where the desire to smoke begins

After you stop, naturally, but a desire to start would
depend on that antecedent event I mentioned above.
Surely, if such an antecedent never existed, then the
desire to smoke, such as it is, would never arise within
me.

>and where is the external force or internal force that allows
>you to resist the external force or internal force to smoke.

The force to resist rests in ourselves as reasoning. It
cannot come from anywhere else. "Reasoning, then,
is the ultimate force that motivates our will to act by
resolving conflicts between our fears, desires and
antecedent events quickly."

>In one respect, the idea of Id, Ego and Superego can be utilized here.
>In that there is an external pressure and internal pressure and were
>they meet is the boundary between the two. Worded differently, your
>desired to smoke is met by the external knowledge of cancer and heart
>disease. Where these two things collide is the creation of the boundary
>between what you want and what you should do.

And that boundary is what I refer to as our reasoning. It's
the loud voice of our reason that motivates us to put our
desires to one side and do what we believe is right, rather
than what would be expedient under the circumstances.
Though these external pressures or forces act upon us in
all directions and manifestations, it's our reasoning that
resolves the conflicts associated with them that ultimately
motivates our will to act. That being so, and because our
capacity for reason exists, our will cannot be free to act
outside of it, and that's why I conclude free will does not
exist. Rather, I tend to think that we are slaves to our
reason instead.

>I did find a false dilemma in that there was an either or scenario.

I'm sorry, but I did mention;

"Note that I've not posed a false dilemma; a third alternative
not to act (dither) is included, and it's because this third
alternative doesn't exist in the real World that I conclude
we cannot have free will."

Now, you may want to argue that since I've asserted
that that third alternative to dither doesn't exist in the
real World, I've posed a false dilemma, but that isn't
the case in my scenario because I did include it. I even
included a fourth;

"I might act randomly and pick one object, but that
indeterminate choice wouldn't be of my own making,
so it wouldn't be accurate to assert that my free will
was the originator of that unintentional choice."

>It is also possible that two opposing forces work in conjunction.
>It is also possible that two opposing forcing work in harmony.
>
>Resistance and its polar equivalent are balance in the centre with a
>boundary between the two. The desire to smoke (an internal force) is met
>by the knowledge of X (an external force) -- or vice versa.
>
>Interestingly, you have described a "will" to smoke, or a "will" to
>resist smoking as a force. I find the term energy is more useful and
>likely more accurate. I'm not sure though, how you chose the term
>"force" to describe an interest or desire in smoking to begin with.

I'm sure you've used the expressions, "*force* of habit"
and "will *power*" before now, Ron.
Derek

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:14:58 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>Yes, it does.

>> Ipse dixit and false. Show where Matheny's article links
>> vegetarianism to the collateral deaths associated in crop
>> production, and after you've done that show where his
>> article concludes that the vegetarian is responsible for
>> them.

>His article doesn't explicitly do that. Based on my
>extension of his mechanism, *I* did it.

QEF, but you've failed to do so.

>>>Next time READ THE WHOLE PAPER

>> I have read it,

>You did not.

I did, and your so-called extension of it doesn't link
vegetarians to the collateral deaths caused by others
in crop farming. You've merely asserted it does
without even describing how your so-called extension
of it makes that link. Throw again.
Ron

In article >,
Derek > wrote:

> [...]

> "I might act randomly and pick one object, but that
> indeterminate choice wouldn't be of my own making,
> so it wouldn't be accurate to assert that my free will
> was the originator of that unintentional choice."
>
> >It is also possible that two opposing forces work in conjunction.
> >It is also possible that two opposing forcing work in harmony.
> >
> >Resistance and its polar equivalent are balance in the centre with a
> >boundary between the two. The desire to smoke (an internal force) is met
> >by the knowledge of X (an external force) -- or vice versa.
> >
> >Interestingly, you have described a "will" to smoke, or a "will" to
> >resist smoking as a force. I find the term energy is more useful and
> >likely more accurate. I'm not sure though, how you chose the term
> >"force" to describe an interest or desire in smoking to begin with.

> I'm sure you've used the expressions, "*force* of habit"

Actually, I use expressions like exercising will or control, or just
plain old habit.

I think I need some definition to understand your perspective of forces.
For example, when I have smoked, I am not necessarily directing forces
or responding to them. I am controling or manipulating various part of
my body through energy. Smoking is a label, like most things, that we
use describe a series of actions and processes. The act of smoking is
actually a series of smaller actions that are conglomerated into label,
likely for efficiency and time management.

When I have smoked, I am actually causing muscles to move, tendons to
reacts, bones to bend at joins, causing movement towards an object
grasping it, inhaling, exhaling, thinking, feeling, experiencing, etc.
and then the requisite internal "actions" or uses of energy that are
required to accomplish the task of "smoking".

Learning a new task with a new label is difficult for this reason. The
smaller steps that must be learned and repeated become part of the
pattern and habit. Learning a new task usually feels awkward for this
reason. One must 'master' each of the segments or smaller actions to
achieve the larger action that is labeled "smoking".

I think where we differ is that you are focused on "why" we do what we
do where my response above seems to be "how" we do what we do.

Maybe my corresponding question is how to detect those forces and how do
your respond to them.