C. James Strutz

Default What are your staple dishes?

When I come home from work I like to settle into the evening by watching the
news and finding something for dinner. When there's nothing leftover in the
'fridge, I think about making something healthy but simple. Rice and beans
are one of my staples because it comprises complete protein, I can vary it
to suit my mood - or to use up whatever veggies I have on hand, and it keeps
well for leftovers. I made this version the other night with some shitakes
and roasted vegetable stock I had made a few nights before. Quantities are
approximate as I don't usually measure.

1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pkg fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 cup brown basmatti rice
1/2 cup lentils, rinced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup parley, chopped
2-1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom stock
olive oil for sautéing
salt, pepper, cayanne to taste

Sauté the onions, bell peppers, and celery in olive oil until they begin to
soften. Add the garlic, shitakes, and rice. Season with salt, pepper, and
cayanne. Continue to sauté stirring constantly until you begin to smell the
aroma of the rice, about 2 minutes. Add the lentils, stock, and tomatoes and
reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about
40 minutes. Stir in parley and reseason. Garnish with chopped scallions.
Serve with green salad and crusty bread.

Mostly chicken, turkey, potatoes and pasta, broccoli,
tomatoes, and fish. I drink about a glass of milk per day.