Scented Nectar

> > There aren't as many places in Toronto
> > that have community gardens as you
> > think. Also, the plots are rather small.
> > You certainly couldn't grow a years
> > supply of food there. Well maybe of
> > just one crop.

> So this code of ethics stipulates that you stay in Toronto?

What code of ethics do you mean? There
are a lot of reasons I stay in Toronto.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Scented Nectar

> > I do know some vegans, you know. The stats
> > or numbers work out death-wise in favour of
> > the vegan diet.

> Compared to...?

The average meat eating diet, like I
ate before going veg in 1981.

> > I can feel proud of that if I want
> > to. There's worse crimes out there than that
> > for you to go fix.

> I haven't accused anyone of a crime, I just find it a shame that you

refuse
> to explore the possibility that this narrow moral relativistic

thinking you
> are using to make yourself feel good causes more harm to you than it

does
> good. I can't explain it better than that, you need to try it out to

see
> what I mean.

You keep assuming that there is a harm in
my being veg and becoming vegan. There's
not, and your help is not needed. Go help
someone who wants it, not me.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

wrote:

>>> His view doesn't matter.

>>His view DOES matter and IS the subject of this thread.

> Then let HIM say what his view is.

He already has, and according to him "If such deaths are
intentional, they aren't also collateral." That being so, when
he asserts that vegans are responsible for collateral deaths
he contradicts himself, because according to his view, the
intentional deaths caused by farmers aren't collateral deaths
in the first place if they're intentional.

>>Read my paragraph above your line again.

>>Read that again as well.

> Reality is what matters.

The subject title to this thread is what matters to this
thread, Harrison.

>>> And consumers

>>Obviously not, since you yourself are on record as saying;
>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>> is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
>> or had never been born"
>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

> You are not the consumers. You are one meaningless consumer,
>and it makes no difference whether you contribute or not, much
>less what you consume.

Then you cannot continue to claim vegetarians are
responsible for the collateral deaths caused by others
since conceding they aren't.

>>> Come to think of it, that's how it is with chicken houses
>>>around here, and beef cattle in pastures...

>>No. Chicken houses exist because you pay money
>>to have others farm chickens for you. Crop fields
>>exist because I pay to have others plant vegetables
>>in them.

> You give yourself far too much credit.

I'm responsible for what I ask for: the death of crops to
eat. You are responsible for what you ask for: the death
of animals to eat.

>>> Not lately. It has been years since I've eaten an animal
>>>who I was responsible for the death of.

>>You are responsible for the death of every animal you
>>chose to eat,

> LOL! I am not.

You are because you instruct that it be farmed and killed
on your behalf.

>I haven't been responsible for the death
>of any animal I've eaten for years, except for the clams
>I've steamed.

A meatarian denying responsibility for the deaths
he causes; priceless! Thanks Dave.

>>just as the vegan is responsible for the
>>death of every vegetable he chooses to eat.

> Only if they're still alive when you get them.

No. The vegetarian vicariously kills the vegetables he
chooses to eat.

>>> LOL. You did not.

>>I've shown that there's no confusion as to whom is
>>responsible for the death of the animal they chose
>>to eat, on the basis that the meatarian makes the
>>choice to vicariously kill that animal. He cannot
>>eat it unless that animal is killed. The direct link
>>between the meatarian and the death he causes
>>is clear.
>>
>>Vegetarians don't eat animals or direct others to kill
>>animals on their behalf during crop production, so
>>when meatarians try to level the death toll by insisting
>>that the vegetarian does kill these animals, the "but-for
>>condition" comes into play to show they cannot be the
>>cause of those deaths. You've conceded as much by
>>writing;
>>
>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>> is true, since they would occur even if you were
>> dead or had never been born"
>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

> Which is true. It's true for meat eaters and for veg*ns.

I agree. Neither the vegetarian or the meatarian can be
held responsible for the collateral deaths caused by
farmers.

>>> We're as responsible for those deaths as the ones of
>>>animals killed to eat. We're either responsible for both,
>>>or for neither.

>>Yet earlier you wrote;
>>
>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>> is true, since they would occur even if you were
>> dead or had never been born"
>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25
>>
>>Make up your mind, Harrison.

> Neither.

Then you'll remain in constant contradiction.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote

> I'm responsible for what I ask for: the death of crops to
> eat. You are responsible for what you ask for: the death
> of animals to eat.

If I ask for the death of animals *and* I am aware that abuse of animals
takes place, I become complicit in the deaths *and* the abuse, even though I
did not ask for the abuse. In order to avoid moral complicity in such abuse
I must stop funding it and find a source of meat where no abuse is taking
place, or else stop eating meat altogether.

The exact same reasoning applies to crop farming and collateral deaths.

Derek

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:32:28 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>
>> I'm responsible for what I ask for: the death of crops to
>> eat. You are responsible for what you ask for: the death
>> of animals to eat.

>If I ask for the death of animals *and* I am aware that abuse of animals
>takes place, I become complicit in the deaths *and* the abuse, even though I
>did not ask for the abuse.

That doesn't make sense. You start off by asking
for the death and abuse of animals, and finish by
stating you didn't ask for any abuse.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:32:28 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote
>>
>>> I'm responsible for what I ask for: the death of crops to
>>> eat. You are responsible for what you ask for: the death
>>> of animals to eat.

>>If I ask for the death of animals *and* I am aware that abuse of animals
>>takes place, I become complicit in the deaths *and* the abuse, even though
>>did not ask for the abuse.

> That doesn't make sense. You start off by asking
> for the death and abuse of animals, and finish by
> stating you didn't ask for any abuse.

Where are you seeing that? I *never* asked for the abuse, and didn't say I
did.

Derek

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:29:09 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:32:28 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>>"Derek" > wrote

>>>If I ask for the death of animals *and* I am aware that
>>>abuse of animals takes place, I become complicit in the
>>>deaths *and* the abuse, even though I did not ask for
>>>the abuse.

>> That doesn't make sense. You start off by asking
>> for the death and abuse of animals, and finish by
>> stating you didn't ask for any abuse.

>Where are you seeing that? I *never* asked for the abuse, and didn't say I
>did.

When you wrote, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
in deed asking for abuse to take place. You then finish by
stating you didn't ask for abuse to take place by writing,
"even though I did not ask for the abuse." You contradicted
yourself.
Scented Nectar

> the view that "vegans" cannot view the deaths of animals of the field
> as collateral because they INTEND them to happen.

It is the farmer who intends and does. The consumer
causes none of it.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:29:09 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> That doesn't make sense. You start off by asking
>>> for the death and abuse of animals, and finish by
>>> stating you didn't ask for any abuse.

>>Where are you seeing that? I *never* asked for the abuse, and didn't say I
>>did.

> When you wrote, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

I don't get your reasoning. I am NOT asking for abuse, I am simply aware
that it occurs. In fact my distinct preference is that abuse does NOT occur
at all.

Similiarly, when you ask for veggies, you only want veggies, despite the
fact you are aware that cds occur. You aren't "asking for" cds, in fact I
suspect that your distinct preference is that they do not occur at all.

I don't know how this could get any clearer.

> You then finish by
> stating you didn't ask for abuse to take place by writing,
> "even though I did not ask for the abuse." You contradicted
> yourself.

I didn't ask for abuse, I asked for the animal to be killed in a prescribed
humane manner.

Derek

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:59:27 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>Where are you seeing that? I *never* asked for the abuse, and didn't say I
>>>did.

>> When you wrote, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
>> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
>> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

>I don't get your reasoning. I am NOT asking for abuse,

Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
in deed asking for abuse to take place.

>> You then finish by
>> stating you didn't ask for abuse to take place by writing,
>> "even though I did not ask for the abuse." You contradicted
>> yourself.

>I didn't ask for abuse

Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
in deed asking for abuse to take place.

Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

> >> And to them

> >Nope.

> Their quotes prove

that "vegans" intend the deaths because they know they will happen and
they intend their purchases, and so the deaths are intentional from the
perspective of "vegans", not collateral. From the perspective of
farmers, they are collateral.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:59:27 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> When you wrote, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
>>> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
>>> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

>>I don't get your reasoning. I am NOT asking for abuse,

> Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

By that reasoning if you ask for vegetables when you are aware that cds take
place that means you are asking for cds to take place. By your reasoning
vegans are even MORE culpable than I believe they are.

Derek

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:41:40 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>I don't get your reasoning. I am NOT asking for abuse,

>> Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
>> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
>> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

>By that reasoning if you ask for vegetables when you are aware that cds take
>place that means you are asking for cds to take place.

That sentence presupposes collateral deaths are associated
with every item I might buy when it simply isn't the case.
For example, I don't presuppose that a police driver has killed
pedestrians on his way to answer my call, just because police
drivers are known to sometimes kill pedestrians. If he does,
then that doesn't mean to say that I asked him to kill any
pedestrians.
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

> >> Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
> >> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
> >> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

> >By that reasoning if you ask for vegetables when you are aware that

cds take
> >place that means you are asking for cds to take place.

> That sentence presupposes collateral deaths are associated
> with every item I might buy

No, it isn't. It only presupposes that CDs are associated with SOME
items you buy every time you shop, and that IS the case.
> [snip bad, ****witted example]

Rudy Canoza

Skunky wrote:
> > the view that "vegans" cannot view the deaths of animals of the

field
> > as collateral because they INTEND them to happen.

> It is the farmer who intends and does.

Take the test first if you expect me to respond to you.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:41:40 -0800, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Again, when writing, "If I ask for the death of animals *and*
>>> I am aware that abuse of animals takes place..." you are
>>> in deed asking for abuse to take place.

>>By that reasoning if you ask for vegetables when you are aware that cds
>>take
>>place that means you are asking for cds to take place.

> That sentence presupposes collateral deaths are associated
> with every item I might buy when it simply isn't the case.

Your reply to me presupposes that abuse takes place with every cut of meat I
buy when it simply isn't the case.

> For example, I don't presuppose that a police driver has killed
> pedestrians on his way to answer my call, just because police
> drivers are known to sometimes kill pedestrians. If he does,
> then that doesn't mean to say that I asked him to kill any
> pedestrians.

Scented Nectar

> Take the test first if you expect me to respond to you.

You don't have to respond. I don't mind
talking to myself or other people.

wrote:

>>>His view DOES matter and IS the subject of this thread.

>> Then let HIM say what his view is.

>He already has, and according to him "If such deaths are
>intentional, they aren't also collateral." That being so, when
>he asserts that vegans are responsible for collateral deaths
>he contradicts himself, because according to his view, the
>intentional deaths caused by farmers aren't collateral deaths
>in the first place if they're intentional.

The only way to know what he thinks about it is if he
explains it. But I am convinced he's not helping you get out
of anything simply by saying intentional deaths aren't collateral.
And. If he's saying they're not, he's wrong anyway in at least
some cases, imo.

>>>Read my paragraph above your line again.

>>>Read that again as well.

>> Reality is what matters.

>The subject title to this thread is what matters to this
>thread, Harrison.

Reality is what matters to reality, Nash.

>>>Obviously not, since you yourself are on record as saying;
>>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>>> is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
>>> or had never been born"
>>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

>> You are not the consumers. You are one meaningless consumer,
>>and it makes no difference whether you contribute or not, much
>>less what you consume.

>Then you cannot continue to claim vegetarians are
>responsible for the collateral deaths caused by others
>since conceding they aren't.

But you do contribute to them.

>>>No. Chicken houses exist because you pay money
>>>to have others farm chickens for you. Crop fields
>>>exist because I pay to have others plant vegetables
>>>in them.

>> You give yourself far too much credit.

>I'm responsible for what I ask for: the death of crops to
>eat. You are responsible for what you ask for: the death
>of animals to eat.

We contribute to it, but we're not responsible for it.

>>>You are responsible for the death of every animal you
>>>chose to eat,

>> LOL! I am not.

>You are because you instruct that it be farmed and killed
>on your behalf.

No, I sure don't. I never have had to, and wouldn't know
how to.

>>I haven't been responsible for the death
>>of any animal I've eaten for years, except for the clams
>>I've steamed.

>A meatarian denying responsibility for the deaths
>he causes;

No, I'm denying responsibility for deaths I had nothing
at all to do with.

> priceless! Thanks Dave.
>
>>>just as the vegan is responsible for the
>>>death of every vegetable he chooses to eat.

>> Only if they're still alive when you get them.

>No. The vegetarian vicariously kills the vegetables he
>chooses to eat.

>>>I've shown that there's no confusion as to whom is
>>>responsible for the death of the animal they chose
>>>to eat, on the basis that the meatarian makes the
>>>choice to vicariously kill that animal. He cannot
>>>eat it unless that animal is killed. The direct link
>>>between the meatarian and the death he causes
>>>is clear.
>>>
>>>Vegetarians don't eat animals or direct others to kill
>>>animals on their behalf during crop production, so
>>>when meatarians try to level the death toll by insisting
>>>that the vegetarian does kill these animals, the "but-for
>>>condition" comes into play to show they cannot be the
>>>cause of those deaths. You've conceded as much by
>>>writing;
>>>
>>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>>> is true, since they would occur even if you were
>>> dead or had never been born"
>>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

>> Which is true. It's true for meat eaters and for veg*ns.

>I agree. Neither the vegetarian or the meatarian can be
>held responsible for the collateral deaths caused by
>farmers.

But we all contribute to them.

>>>Yet earlier you wrote;
>>>
>>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>>> is true, since they would occur even if you were
>>> dead or had never been born"
>>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25
>>>
>>>Make up your mind, Harrison.

>> Neither.

>Then you'll remain in constant contradiction.

There's no contradiction that I can see. We're not
responsible for deaths we're not responsible for. But
if you want to pretend we are, then we would be as
responsible for cds as we are for deliberate killings.
No contradiction in any of that. You're the one who
wants to introduce a contradiction, but it doesn't
work.
Ron

In article >,
Jon > wrote:

> He already has, and according to him "If such deaths are
> intentional, they aren't also collateral." That being so, when
> he asserts that vegans are responsible for collateral deaths
> he contradicts himself, because according to his view, the
> intentional deaths caused by farmers aren't collateral deaths
> in the first place if they're intentional. What part in that don't
> you understand, and how many times must I repeat it before
> you finally grasp it?

This is also the fallacy of insignificant cause. (The human need to
special, important or signficant.)

A more accurate determination could be accomplished by graphing all of
those involved and determining the percentage of
responsibility/contributed to the outcome

50% The farmer (person who kills the animal)
10% The consumer (demand -- one of many who wants the animal)
10% Other consumers (demand -- the others who want the animal)
10% Other farmers (competition)
10% Personal needs of the farmer (economic forces on the farmer)
10% All the others associated with the
growing, production, sale and purchase.

In this instance, there are six causes related to the death of a farm
animal and the most significant cause is the farmer who kills it.
Ron

In article >,
Derek > wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:37:55 -0500, Ron > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Jon > wrote:
> >
> >> He already has, and according to him "If such deaths are
> >> intentional, they aren't also collateral." That being so, when
> >> he asserts that vegans are responsible for collateral deaths
> >> he contradicts himself, because according to his view, the
> >> intentional deaths caused by farmers aren't collateral deaths
> >> in the first place if they're intentional. What part in that don't
> >> you understand, and how many times must I repeat it before
> >> you finally grasp it?

> >This is also the fallacy of insignificant cause. (The human need to
> >special, important or signficant.)

> You're missing the point entirely. This thread concerns
> itself with 'usual suspects' view on what qualifies a
> collateral death and the implications of such a view.

Just sloppiness on my part. Both perspectives are based on the notion of
responsibility. Both perspectives are a dichotomy of the same phenomena
of exclusive responsibility versus shared responsibility. A discussion
of direct or indirect death requires an accurate assessment of who is
responsible for what part of the outcome.

> >A more accurate determination could be accomplished by graphing all of
> >those involved and determining the percentage of
> >responsibility/contributed to the outcome
> >
> >50% The farmer (person who kills the animal)
> >10% The consumer (demand -- one of many who wants the animal)
> >10% Other consumers (demand -- the others who want the animal)
> >10% Other farmers (competition)
> >10% Personal needs of the farmer (economic forces on the farmer)
> >10% All the others associated with the
> > growing, production, sale and purchase.
> >
> >In this instance, there are six causes related to the death of a farm
> >animal and the most significant cause is the farmer who kills it.

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote \
>> > There aren't as many places in Toronto
>> > that have community gardens as you
>> > think. Also, the plots are rather small.
>> > You certainly couldn't grow a years
>> > supply of food there. Well maybe of
>> > just one crop.

>> So this code of ethics stipulates that you stay in Toronto?

> What code of ethics do you mean? There
> are a lot of reasons I stay in Toronto.

The code that informs you that it is always morally better to abstain from
eating meat.

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote

>> > I do know some vegans, you know. The stats
>> > or numbers work out death-wise in favour of
>> > the vegan diet.

>> Compared to...?

> The average meat eating diet, like I
> ate before going veg in 1981.

That's a very narrow frame of reference. There are countless other viable
options that ought to considered also.

>> > I can feel proud of that if I want
>> > to. There's worse crimes out there than that
>> > for you to go fix.

>> I haven't accused anyone of a crime, I just find it a shame that you

> refuse
>> to explore the possibility that this narrow moral relativistic

> thinking you
>> are using to make yourself feel good causes more harm to you than it

> does
>> good. I can't explain it better than that, you need to try it out to

> see
>> what I mean.

> You keep assuming that there is a harm in
> my being veg and becoming vegan.

I'm not just assuming it, I have concluded it from my own experience, from
general observations of vegans, and by listening to your evasive responses.
There is something going on inside your head that is not in your best
interests. I absolutely guarantee it.

> There's
> not, and your help is not needed.

I disagree, you are in denial and I have conclusive evidence of it.

> Go help
> someone who wants it, not me.

As long as you make responses to me I shall continue to interpret that as a
cry for help. Despite your protestations, something in your subconscious is
recognizing that there is a truth here for you that your conscious awareness
will not allow you to see.

Scented Nectar

> >> So this code of ethics stipulates that you stay in Toronto?

> > What code of ethics do you mean? There
> > are a lot of reasons I stay in Toronto.

> The code that informs you that it is always morally better to abstain

from
> eating meat.

Not eating meat has nothing to do with
where I live. What do ethics have to do
with where I live?

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Scented Nectar

> >> Compared to...?

> > The average meat eating diet, like I
> > ate before going veg in 1981.

> That's a very narrow frame of reference. There are countless other

viable
> options that ought to considered also.

My personal health and well being is a good
frame of reference for me, not necessarily
for you. What other options are you referring
to?

> > You keep assuming that there is a harm in
> > my being veg and becoming vegan.

> I'm not just assuming it, I have concluded it from my own experience,

from
> general observations of vegans, and by listening to your evasive

> There is something going on inside your head that is not in your best
> interests. I absolutely guarantee it.

You're nuts. And completely wrong too.

> > There's
> > not, and your help is not needed.

> I disagree, you are in denial and I have conclusive evidence of it.

Regardless of whether you disagree I don't
want your help. Please refrain from it. I'll
discuss and debate things with you, but
dump the helping bit.

> > Go help
> > someone who wants it, not me.

> As long as you make responses to me I shall continue to interpret that

as a
> cry for help. Despite your protestations, something in your

subconscious is
> recognizing that there is a truth here for you that your conscious

awareness
> will not allow you to see.

Then you will be misinterpreting me. I am
not crying for help. Understand this. When
I respond to you it's to debate, discuss and
find humour sometimes. Do not take any
thing I say as a cry for help unless I specifically
ask.