Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:45:52 GMT, "rick etter" > wrote:
>"Ray" > wrote in message ...

>>> It makes no sense to get into quibbling about *how* animals are killed in
>>> the production of human food.

>> This is not a subject for debate, it is FACT.

>=====================
>No, what's not up for debate is the death and suffering

If those deaths are caused intentionally, then according
to you and 'useless object, they cannot be deemed as
collateral deaths.

"And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
many are deliberate"
Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb

"Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
deaths in any part of the production cycle."
Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

the issue of collateral deaths tried to correct you by
writing;

"of course they are. deliberate, purposeful deaths occur
at every stage of production, and are a subset of collateral
deaths.

did you not read my carefully, slowly typed outline? you
responded. then why are you continuing this line of
nonsense?

are you incapable of learning?

cordially,
diderot
diderot 22 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6fddm

As we can see, despite diderot's comment, both you and
'useless object' agree that the intentional deaths accrued
during crop production cannot be deemed as collateral
deaths. You're both hosed and have no argument while
insisting vegans are to blame for things which, according
to you both, don't even exist.
rick etter

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:45:52 GMT, "rick etter" > wrote:

>>> This is not a subject for debate, it is FACT.

>>=====================
>>No, what's not up for debate is the death and suffering

> If those deaths are caused intentionally, then according
> to you and 'useless object, they cannot be deemed as
> collateral deaths.

=================
Funny that, that is what Ray just said....

As I stated fool, you can continue to quibble about the definitions all you
want, it doesn't make the animals any less dead, or you any less culpable.
It's just another strawman built to try and divert attention away from your
bloody hands, killer.

> "And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
> many are deliberate"
> Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb
>
> "Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
> deaths in any part of the production cycle."
> Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

> the issue of collateral deaths tried to correct you by
> writing;
>
> "of course they are. deliberate, purposeful deaths occur
> at every stage of production, and are a subset of collateral
> deaths.
>
> did you not read my carefully, slowly typed outline? you
> responded. then why are you continuing this line of
> nonsense?

=================

Because it matters not to the animals you kill and *your* responsibility in
those deaths, hypocrite.

> are you incapable of learning?

===============
No, but you obviously are, killer.

> cordially,
> diderot
> diderot 22 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6fddm
>
> As we can see, despite diderot's comment, both you and
> 'useless object' agree that the intentional deaths accrued
> during crop production cannot be deemed as collateral
> deaths. You're both hosed and have no argument while
> insisting vegans are to blame for things which, according
> to you both, don't even exist.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2005 18:09:31 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:
>>
>>>On 26 Jan 2005 15:32:22 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" >wrote:
>>>[..]
>>>There's no pulling him out of this one

>>He doesn't require pulling out of anything

> He's

kicking your fat pimply crippled ass.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2005 17:12:10 -0800, "Rudy Canoza" > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>Then they carry no moral importance

>>To the farmer, no.

> And nor to me, either,

That isn't even English.

The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
there.

It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.
Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:32:14 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>To the farmer, no.

>> And nor to me, either,

>That isn't even English.
>
>The deaths are intentional to you

Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter, they
do not qualify as collaterals deaths.

"And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
many are deliberate"
Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb

"Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
deaths in any part of the production cycle."
Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

"If such deaths are intentional, they aren't also collateral."
usual suspect 21 Jan 2005 http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

That being so, whenever they accuse vegans of being
responsible for the collateral deaths in crop production,
they accuse vegans of being responsible for things that
don't even exist. Priceless!

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:30:37 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>>>
>>>He doesn't require pulling out of anything

>> He's

>kicking your fat pimply crippled ass.

Rather, he's taken a back seat while you attempt to
pull him free from the hole he's dug himself into. His
conspicuous absence isn't just an accident, you know;
he's waiting for your lead on this.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:32:14 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

>>>And nor to me, either,

>>That isn't even English.
>>
>>The deaths are intentional to you

> Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter

According to those two scholars, the deaths are
intentional to you.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:30:37 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

>>>He's

>>kicking your fat pimply crippled ass.

> Rather,

Yes, RATHER. Hurts, doesn't it?
Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:01:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>kicking your fat pimply crippled ass.

>> Rather,

<unsnip>
Rather, he's taken a back seat while you attempt to
pull him free from the hole he's dug himself into. His
conspicuous absence isn't just an accident, you know;
he's waiting for your lead on this.

>Yes, RATHER. Hurts, doesn't it?

If anything, I find it quite amusing to see him take a
back seat while hoping you'll be able to save his
embarrassment for him.

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:00:25 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>That isn't even English.
>>>
>>>The deaths are intentional to you

>> Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter

<unsnip>
Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter, they
do not qualify as collaterals deaths.

"And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
many are deliberate"
Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb

"Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
deaths in any part of the production cycle."
Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

"If such deaths are intentional, they aren't also collateral."
usual suspect 21 Jan 2005 http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

That being so, whenever they accuse vegans of being
responsible for the collateral deaths in crop production,
they accuse vegans of being responsible for things that
don't even exist. Priceless!

>According to those two scholars, the deaths are
>intentional to you.

And to them, so whenever they accuse vegans of being
responsible for the collateral deaths in crop production,
they accuse vegans of being responsible for things that
don't even exist.

Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:01:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

>>>Rather,

> <unsnip>
> Rather,

Yes, RATHER.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:00:25 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

>>>Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter

>>According to those two scholars, the deaths are
>>intentional to you.

> And to them

Nope. Fully collateral and accidental to them, because
they don't see any moral dimension to it. You do.

Once again, you lose.
Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:19:15 GMT, "rick etter" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>=====================
>>>No, what's not up for debate is the death and suffering

>> If those deaths are caused intentionally, then according
>> to you and 'useless object, they cannot be deemed as
>> collateral deaths.

>=================
>Funny that, that is what Ray just said....

That's right. He sees as well as I do that "If those deaths
are caused intentionally, *then according to you and 'useless
object,* they cannot be deemed as collateral deaths.

>> "And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
>> many are deliberate"
>> Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb
>>
>> "Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
>> deaths in any part of the production cycle."
>> Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

>> the issue of collateral deaths tried to correct you by
>> writing;
>>
>> "of course they are. deliberate, purposeful deaths occur
>> at every stage of production, and are a subset of collateral
>> deaths.
>>
>> did you not read my carefully, slowly typed outline? you
>> responded. then why are you continuing this line of
>> nonsense?

>=================
>
>Because it matters not to the animals you kill and *your* responsibility in
>those deaths, hypocrite.

You're responding to something diderot wrote, stupid.

>> are you incapable of learning?

>===============
>No, but you obviously are, killer.

Again, you've responded to something diderot wrote.

>> cordially,
>> diderot
>> diderot 22 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6fddm
>>
>> As we can see, despite diderot's comment, both you and
>> 'useless object' agree that the intentional deaths accrued
>> during crop production cannot be deemed as collateral
>> deaths. You're both hosed and have no argument while
>> insisting vegans are to blame for things which, according
>> to you both, don't even exist.

Well, dummy?
Scented Nectar

> The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
> them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
> buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
> there.
>
> It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
> accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
> move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.

Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
the consumer of food. You say 'you
aren't obliged to buy the food'. There
is no other choices available so yes
indeed, one IS obliged to buy the food.
A variety of foods are a need for a
healthy life.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:18:50 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

<unsnip>
Rather, he's taken a back seat while you attempt to
pull him free from the hole he's dug himself into. His
conspicuous absence isn't just an accident, you know;
he's waiting for your lead on this.

>Yes, RATHER. Hurts, doesn't it?

If anything, I find it quite amusing to see him take a
back seat while hoping you'll be able to save his
embarrassment for him.

Rudy Canoza

Scented Nectar wrote:

>>The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
>>them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
>>buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
>>there.
>>
>>It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
>>accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
>>move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.

> Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> the consumer of food.

Your choice to buy commercially produced food IS fully
under your control.

Guilty.
Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:19:50 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>>>According to those two scholars, the deaths are
>>>intentional to you.

>> And to them

>Nope.

Their quotes prove it, liar Jon, and your repeated
snipping of their quotes proves that you know it.

<unsnip>
Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter, they
do not qualify as collaterals deaths.

"And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
many are deliberate"
Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb

"Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
deaths in any part of the production cycle."
Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

"If such deaths are intentional, they aren't also collateral."
usual suspect 21 Jan 2005 http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

That being so, whenever they accuse vegans of being
responsible for the collateral deaths in crop production,
they accuse vegans of being responsible for things that
don't even exist. Priceless!
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dog-beater wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:18:50 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

Why did you snip out the posting history, Claire's fat
crippled Uncle Dog-beater?

> <unsnip>
> Rather,

Yes, RATHER.
Scented Nectar

> > Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> > the consumer of food.

> Your choice to buy commercially produced food IS fully
> under your control.
>
> Guilty.

Only according to an idiot who claims that
food is not a need, and that dying is a good
option.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:28:43 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:18:50 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>Why did you snip out the posting history

I'll do what I wish without your leave to do so.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>>According to him, no collateral deaths exist if in fact
>>>they are caused intentionally. That being so, he has
>>>no argument when insisting vegans to be responsible
>>>for them.

>> Yes, there are still collateral deaths

>Not according to 'usual suspect', they're not,

The number of deaths and your contribution to them,
does not change simply because you call them one thing
instead of another, or say they don't exist. You are not
too stupid to understand that.

>so he
>has no argument against the vegan for causing that
>which doesn't exist.

There are deliberate deaths and accidental deaths,
and consumer contribution to the process allows it to
repeat and cause more such deaths, regardless of
whether you deny them or not, and regardless of what
you call them if you're honest enough to acknowledge
them.
Derek

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>> Yes, there are still collateral deaths

>>Not according to 'usual suspect', they're not,

> The number of deaths and your contribution to them,
>does not change simply because you call them one thing
>instead of another, or say they don't exist.

According to 'usual suspect' "If such deaths are
intentional, they aren't also collateral.", and that's
what this thread concerns itself with: his view on
what constitutes collateral deaths and his wrongful
blaming for things that don't exist.

>>so he
>>has no argument against the vegan for causing that
>>which doesn't exist.

> There are deliberate deaths

Which aren't collateral deaths, according to Rick
tetter and 'usual suspect', so when either accuse
the vegan of causing them they in fact contradict
themselves and accuse the vegan of causing things
that don't even exist. What part in that don't you
understand?

>and accidental deaths

If they are truly accidental, then no one can be
blamed for them.

>and consumer contribution to the process allows it to
>repeat and cause more such deaths

Yet only an hour ago in your reply to Scented Nectar
you claimed that we are not responsible for them,
since they would occur whether we were alive or dead.

"To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
or had never been born"
David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

What you've conceded there is something along the lines
of what I once wrote to "Rubystars" under the nym
"ipse dixit" some time ago after she was accused of
being responsible for the collateral death caused in
telecommunications.

"The most reliable way of ruling out the existence
of a causal connection between any two events, namely
your posting on Usenet and the alleged collateral deaths
it causes is to ask whether the collateral deaths would, in
the same circumstances, have occurred in the absence of
your posting to Usenet. If the collateral deaths would have
occurred in any event, then you cannot be its cause or one
of its causes, and therefore not responsible for them. To
be causal, your action as a participant here must be
necessary to the outcome, and it isn't, because those alleged
collateral deaths would still allegedly occur without your
participation here. It's a "but for condition."

I use it in response to the CD argument generally as the
most reliable way of ruling out the existence of a causal
connection between the farmer causing harms and his
consumers who pay him by asking whether the collateral
deaths he causes would, in the circumstances, have
occurred in the absence of my purchase of vegetables.
If the harms would have occurred in any event, then I
cannot be its cause or one of its causes, and therefore
not responsible for them. To be causal, my action as a
mere consumer must be necessary to the outcome, and
it isn't, because he can still cause CDs without my buying
from him. I understand it as the "but-for condition." But
for the farmer, CD's in crop production wouldn't happen,
so he is causal and fully responsible for his autonomous
actions.
ipse dixit 18 Nov 2003 http://tinyurl.com/5udmv

[..]
Rudy Canoza

wrote:

> >Why did you snip out the posting history

> I'll do what I wish without your leave to do so.

Here it is again: this *bizarre* obsession by "vegans" over others
telling them what to do. Dreck, I didn't suggest you needed my
permission to snip out the posting history; I merely asked you why you
did snip it out.

Yes, of course you can do it without my permission; but WHY did you do
it, Dreck? You don't usually do it, so why did you do it this time?

> <unsnip>
> Rather, he's

kicked your fat crippled pimply ass.

rick etter

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:19:15 GMT, "rick etter" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> If those deaths are caused intentionally, then according
>>> to you and 'useless object, they cannot be deemed as
>>> collateral deaths.

>>=================
>>Funny that, that is what Ray just said....

> That's right. He sees as well as I do that "If those deaths
> are caused intentionally, *then according to you and 'useless
> object,* they cannot be deemed as collateral deaths.

=================
LOL Thanks for the admission that you are responsible for *intentional*
death and suffering of animals, hypocrite. How deep a hole you going to
dig yourself into, killer?

>>> "And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
>>> many are deliberate"
>>> Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb
>>>
>>> "Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
>>> deaths in any part of the production cycle."
>>> Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7

>>> the issue of collateral deaths tried to correct you by
>>> writing;
>>>
>>> "of course they are. deliberate, purposeful deaths occur
>>> at every stage of production, and are a subset of collateral
>>> deaths.
>>>
>>> did you not read my carefully, slowly typed outline? you
>>> responded. then why are you continuing this line of
>>> nonsense?

>>=================
>>
>>Because it matters not to the animals you kill and *your* responsibility
>>in
>>those deaths, hypocrite.

> You're responding to something diderot wrote, stupid.

========================
No, fool, I responded to your inane preoccupation with meanings instead of
focusing on the death and suffering of those animals you kill. What a hoot!
You tryuly are great fun, hypocrite...

>>> are you incapable of learning?

>>===============
>>No, but you obviously are, killer.

> Again, you've responded to something diderot wrote.

====================
No, I'm responding to what you are posting here fool. Your idiocy and
ignorance.

>>> cordially,
>>> diderot
>>> diderot 22 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6fddm
>>>
>>> As we can see, despite diderot's comment, both you and
>>> 'useless object' agree that the intentional deaths accrued
>>> during crop production cannot be deemed as collateral
>>> deaths. You're both hosed and have no argument while
>>> insisting vegans are to blame for things which, according
>>> to you both, don't even exist.

> Well, dummy?

=================
Well what, killer? When are you going to stop your intentional killing
now? What a great laugh you are fool...

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>>Not according to 'usual suspect', they're not,

>> The number of deaths and your contribution to them,
>>does not change simply because you call them one thing
>>instead of another, or say they don't exist.

>According to 'usual suspect' "If such deaths are
>intentional, they aren't also collateral.", and that's
>what this thread concerns itself with: his view on
>what constitutes collateral deaths and his wrongful
>blaming for things that don't exist.
>
>>>so he
>>>has no argument against the vegan for causing that
>>>which doesn't exist.

>> There are deliberate deaths

>Which aren't collateral deaths, according to Rick
>tetter and 'usual suspect', so when either accuse
>the vegan of causing them they in fact contradict
>themselves and accuse the vegan of causing things
>that don't even exist. What part in that don't you
>understand?

How accusing veg*ns of the deliberate deaths
they contribute to, is accusing them of causing things
that don't even exist.

>>and accidental deaths

>If they are truly accidental, then no one can be
>blamed for them.

If someone caused them to happen they can be
blamed for them, since they are to blame for them.

>>and consumer contribution to the process allows it to
>>repeat and cause more such deaths

>Yet only an hour ago in your reply to Scented Nectar
>you claimed that we are not responsible for them,
>since they would occur whether we were alive or dead.
>
> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
> is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
> or had never been born"
> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

There's a difference between being responsible and
contributing. We personally can contribute to something,
without being responsible for whether or not it occurs.

>What you've conceded there is something along the lines
>of what I once wrote to "Rubystars" under the nym
>"ipse dixit" some time ago after she was accused of
>being responsible for the collateral death caused in
>telecommunications.
>
> "The most reliable way of ruling out the existence
> of a causal connection between any two events, namely
> your posting on Usenet and the alleged collateral deaths
> it causes is to ask whether the collateral deaths would, in
> the same circumstances, have occurred in the absence of
> your posting to Usenet. If the collateral deaths would have
> occurred in any event, then you cannot be its cause or one
> of its causes, and therefore not responsible for them. To
> be causal, your action as a participant here must be
> necessary to the outcome, and it isn't, because those alleged
> collateral deaths would still allegedly occur without your
> participation here. It's a "but for condition."
>
> I use it in response to the CD argument

It works fine for meat eaters too. The chickens who die
so I can eat them, and the cds involved with getting grain
to the chickens--like the ones that you contribute to--would
have happened just as well if we had never been born.

> generally as the
> most reliable way of ruling out the existence of a causal
> connection between the farmer causing harms and his
> consumers who pay him by asking whether the collateral
> deaths he causes would, in the circumstances, have
> occurred in the absence of my purchase of vegetables.
> If the harms would have occurred in any event, then I
> cannot be its cause or one of its causes, and therefore
> not responsible for them. To be causal, my action as a
> mere consumer must be necessary to the outcome, and
> it isn't, because he can still cause CDs without my buying
> from him. I understand it as the "but-for condition." But
> for the farmer, CD's in crop production wouldn't happen,
> so he is causal

True. But but for the consumer the same is true. As
a group, customers are causal. So when we join a
group which causes things to occur, and contribute
to such things happening in the future, we take on
some degree of responsibility, imo. If not, we wouldn't
even be thinking about it much less spending hours
discussing it.

>and fully responsible for his autonomous
> actions.
> ipse dixit 18 Nov 2003 http://tinyurl.com/5udmv
>
>[..]

Derek

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>> The number of deaths and your contribution to them,
>>>does not change simply because you call them one thing
>>>instead of another, or say they don't exist.

>>According to 'usual suspect' "If such deaths are
>>intentional, they aren't also collateral.", and that's
>>what this thread concerns itself with: his view on
>>what constitutes collateral deaths and his wrongful
>>blaming for things that don't exist.

I'll take the absence of your response to this as
a tacit agreement.

>>> There are deliberate deaths

>>Which aren't collateral deaths, according to Rick
>>tetter and 'usual suspect', so when either accuse
>>the vegan of causing them they in fact contradict
>>themselves and accuse the vegan of causing things
>>that don't even exist. What part in that don't you
>>understand?

> How accusing veg*ns of the deliberate deaths
>they contribute to, is accusing them of causing things
>that don't even exist.

Because, as I've said repeatedly now, according to
him intentional deaths aren't collateral deaths, so
whenever he accuses the vegan of causing them he
accuses them of causing things, which to him don't
even exist.

>>>and accidental deaths

>>If they are truly accidental, then no one can be
>>blamed for them.

> If someone caused them to happen they can be
>blamed for them, since they are to blame for them.

That's true and takes nothing from the fact that, if
they're truly accidental, then no one can be blamed
for them.

>>>and consumer contribution to the process allows it to
>>>repeat and cause more such deaths

>>Yet only an hour ago in your reply to Scented Nectar
>>you claimed that we are not responsible for them,
>>since they would occur whether we were alive or dead.
>>
>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>> is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
>> or had never been born"
>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

> There's a difference between being responsible and
>contributing.

We aren't responsible for them, as you concede.
That you believe we contribute to those deaths
is irrelevant and cannot be shown anyway. I for
one don't contribute anything towards those deaths.

>We personally can contribute to something,
>without being responsible for whether or not it occurs.

No. If I contribute to the meat industry by eating
meat, then I am responsible for the deaths of those
animals I choose as part of my diet.

>>What you've conceded there is something along the lines
>>of what I once wrote to "Rubystars" under the nym
>>"ipse dixit" some time ago after she was accused of
>>being responsible for the collateral death caused in
>>telecommunications.
>>
>> "The most reliable way of ruling out the existence
>> of a causal connection between any two events, namely
>> your posting on Usenet and the alleged collateral deaths
>> it causes is to ask whether the collateral deaths would, in
>> the same circumstances, have occurred in the absence of
>> your posting to Usenet. If the collateral deaths would have
>> occurred in any event, then you cannot be its cause or one
>> of its causes, and therefore not responsible for them. To
>> be causal, your action as a participant here must be
>> necessary to the outcome, and it isn't, because those alleged
>> collateral deaths would still allegedly occur without your
>> participation here. It's a "but for condition."
>>
>> I use it in response to the CD argument

> It works fine for meat eaters too.

Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.
There's no confusion over whether either are to
blame for the deaths they cause. When vegetarians
are accused of causing the deaths of animals, the
link between the two actions isn't apparent, and
that's where the "but for" condition comes into play.
It doesn't work for meatarians because the link
between them and the deaths they cause is already
apparent.

[..]
>> generally as the
>> most reliable way of ruling out the existence of a causal
>> connection between the farmer causing harms and his
>> consumers who pay him by asking whether the collateral
>> deaths he causes would, in the circumstances, have
>> occurred in the absence of my purchase of vegetables.
>> If the harms would have occurred in any event, then I
>> cannot be its cause or one of its causes, and therefore
>> not responsible for them. To be causal, my action as a
>> mere consumer must be necessary to the outcome, and
>> it isn't, because he can still cause CDs without my buying
>> from him. I understand it as the "but-for condition." But
>> for the farmer, CD's in crop production wouldn't happen,
>> so he is causal

> True.

You have no option but to agree.

>But but for the consumer the same is true. As
>a group, customers are causal.

They are causal to whatever they choose to kill.
Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.
There's no confusion over whether either are to
blame for the deaths they cause.

>So when we join a
>group which causes things to occur, and contribute
>to such things happening in the future, we take on
>some degree of responsibility, imo.

Yet further up this page you state;
"There's a difference between being responsible
and contributing. We personally can contribute to
something, without being responsible for whether
or not it occurs."

Make up tour mind.
[..]
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:32:14 GMT, Rudy Canoza
> > wrote:
>>Derek wrote:

>>> And nor to me, either,

>>That isn't even English.
>>
>>The deaths are intentional to you

> Yet according to 'usual suspect' and Rick tetter, they
> do not qualify as collaterals deaths.
>
> "And for the record, they are *not* all collateral deaths,
> many are deliberate"
> Rick Etter 19 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/4secb
>
> "Deliberate deaths are not the same as the collateral
> deaths in any part of the production cycle."
> Rick Etter 21 Jul 2001 http://tinyurl.com/6q8m7
>
> "If such deaths are intentional, they aren't also collateral."
> usual suspect 21 Jan 2005 http://tinyurl.com/55nv5
>
> That being so, whenever they accuse vegans of being
> responsible for the collateral deaths in crop production,
> they accuse vegans of being responsible for things that
> don't even exist. Priceless!

Where does he say collateral deaths don't exist?

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:01:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>Derek wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:30:37 GMT, Rudy Canoza

>>> Rather,

> <unsnip>
> Rather, he's taken a back seat while you attempt to
> pull him free from the hole he's dug himself into. His
> conspicuous absence isn't just an accident, you know;
> he's waiting for your lead on this.
>
>>Yes, RATHER. Hurts, doesn't it?

> If anything, I find it quite amusing to see him take a
> back seat while hoping you'll be able to save his
> embarrassment for him.

I disagree with his interperation that deliberate deaths in agriculture are
not collateral, it's a fine point but also a moot point, because the
consumer is complicit in all of them.

Dutch

"Scented Nectar" > wrote

>> The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
>> them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
>> buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
>> there.
>>
>> It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
>> accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
>> move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.

> Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> the consumer of food. You say 'you
> aren't obliged to buy the food'. There
> is no other choices available so yes
> indeed, one IS obliged to buy the food.

There are other options available, just not ones that require no effort on
your part. Your choices are predicated on ease, not a moral motivation.

> A variety of foods are a need for a
> healthy life.

You make choices based on ease and desire for good health while animals'
basic right to life is treated as an incidental factor. Explain how that
makes your choices more moral than anyone elses?

Rudy Canoza

Scented Nectar wrote:

>>The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
>>them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
>>buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
>>there.
>>
>>It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
>>accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
>>move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.

> Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> the consumer of food.

Your participation in the markets for commercially
produced fruits and vegetables is FULLY controllable by
you. Stop lying.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>>According to 'usual suspect' "If such deaths are
>>>intentional, they aren't also collateral.", and that's
>>>what this thread concerns itself with: his view on
>>>what constitutes collateral deaths and his wrongful
>>>blaming for things that don't exist.

>I'll take the absence of your response to this as
>a tacit agreement.

>>>Which aren't collateral deaths, according to Rick
>>>tetter and 'usual suspect', so when either accuse
>>>the vegan of causing them they in fact contradict
>>>themselves and accuse the vegan of causing things
>>>that don't even exist. What part in that don't you
>>>understand?

>> How accusing veg*ns of the deliberate deaths
>>they contribute to, is accusing them of causing things
>>that don't even exist.

>Because, as I've said repeatedly now, according to
>him intentional deaths aren't collateral deaths, so
>whenever he accuses the vegan of causing them he
>accuses them of causing things, which to him don't
>even exist.

No Derek, and you're aware of it. What does he call
them? Deliberate deaths. The deaths still exist.

>>>If they are truly accidental, then no one can be
>>>blamed for them.

>> If someone caused them to happen they can be
>>blamed for them, since they are to blame for them.

>That's true and takes nothing from the fact that, if
>they're truly accidental, then no one can be blamed
>for them.

When people cause farm machinery to run blades
through the surface area of fields, turning the ground
upside down and stomping down on it with tons of weight,
animals are killed and those responsible for the action are
to blame.

>>>Yet only an hour ago in your reply to Scented Nectar
>>>you claimed that we are not responsible for them,
>>>since they would occur whether we were alive or dead.
>>>
>>> "To say that you're not really "responsible" for them
>>> is true, since they would occur even if you were dead
>>> or had never been born"
>>> David Harrison 27 Jan 2005 17:09:25

>> There's a difference between being responsible and
>>contributing.

>We aren't responsible for them, as you concede.
>That you believe we contribute to those deaths
>is irrelevant and cannot be shown anyway. I for
>one don't contribute anything towards those deaths.

How do you avoid it? What do you eat and where do
you get it?
That's a change of subject though, and even if
you don't contribute to any, those who do, do
contribute to them.

>>We personally can contribute to something,
>>without being responsible for whether or not it occurs.

>No. If I contribute to the meat industry by eating
>meat, then I am responsible for the deaths of those
>animals I choose as part of my diet.

No. You contribute to them, but you're not responsible
since they would have happened if you had not.

>>>What you've conceded there is something along the lines
>>>of what I once wrote to "Rubystars" under the nym
>>>"ipse dixit" some time ago after she was accused of
>>>being responsible for the collateral death caused in
>>>telecommunications.
>>>
>>> "The most reliable way of ruling out the existence
>>> of a causal connection between any two events, namely
>>> your posting on Usenet and the alleged collateral deaths
>>> it causes is to ask whether the collateral deaths would, in
>>> the same circumstances, have occurred in the absence of
>>> your posting to Usenet. If the collateral deaths would have
>>> occurred in any event, then you cannot be its cause or one
>>> of its causes, and therefore not responsible for them. To
>>> be causal, your action as a participant here must be
>>> necessary to the outcome, and it isn't, because those alleged
>>> collateral deaths would still allegedly occur without your
>>> participation here. It's a "but for condition."
>>>
>>> I use it in response to the CD argument

>> It works fine for meat eaters too.

>Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
>Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.

I rarely have in the past. Most never do.

>There's no confusion over whether either are to
>blame for the deaths they cause. When vegetarians
>are accused of causing the deaths of animals, the
>link between the two actions isn't apparent, and
>that's where the "but for" condition comes into play.
>It doesn't work for meatarians because the link
>between them and the deaths they cause is already
>apparent.

Whatever works for veg*ns in that respect, works
equally well for meat consumers.

>[..]
>>> generally as the
>>> most reliable way of ruling out the existence of a causal
>>> connection between the farmer causing harms and his
>>> consumers who pay him by asking whether the collateral
>>> deaths he causes would, in the circumstances, have
>>> occurred in the absence of my purchase of vegetables.
>>> If the harms would have occurred in any event, then I
>>> cannot be its cause or one of its causes, and therefore
>>> not responsible for them. To be causal, my action as a
>>> mere consumer must be necessary to the outcome, and
>>> it isn't, because he can still cause CDs without my buying
>>> from him. I understand it as the "but-for condition." But
>>> for the farmer, CD's in crop production wouldn't happen,
>>> so he is causal

>> True.

>You have no option but to agree.
>
>>But but for the consumer the same is true. As
>>a group, customers are causal.

>They are causal to whatever they choose to kill.
>Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
>Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.
>There's no confusion over whether either are to
>blame for the deaths they cause.

Including deaths associated with crop production.

>>So when we join a
>>group which causes things to occur, and contribute
>>to such things happening in the future, we take on
>>some degree of responsibility, imo.

>Yet further up this page you state;
> "There's a difference between being responsible
> and contributing. We personally can contribute to
> something, without being responsible for whether
> or not it occurs."
>
>Make up tour mind.
>[..]

The degree of responsibility would only be in
regards to how our contribution influenced future
such products, so it's usually not worth considering.
We are still contributing to it none the less.
Scented Nectar

> There are other options available, just not ones that require no
effort on
> your part. Your choices are predicated on ease, not a moral

motivation.

No, they are based on real life likelihood and possibility.

> > A variety of foods are a need for a
> > healthy life.

> You make choices based on ease and desire for good health while

animals'
> basic right to life is treated as an incidental factor. Explain how

that
> makes your choices more moral than anyone elses?

Why would I compare my choices with other
people's morality?

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Scented Nectar

> > Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> > the consumer of food.

> Your participation in the markets for commercially
> produced fruits and vegetables is FULLY controllable by
> you. Stop lying.

You're lying. Produce is a need. So are nuts,
seeds, beans and grains which you left out.
A need which causes a forced complicity
with the only available suppliers.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

rick etter

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
>> > Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
>> > the consumer of food.

>> Your participation in the markets for commercially
>> produced fruits and vegetables is FULLY controllable by
>> you. Stop lying.

> You're lying. Produce is a need. So are nuts,
> seeds, beans and grains which you left out.
> A need which causes a forced complicity
> with the only available suppliers.

================
More delusions, killer. You have more than one available source for all
these. *YOU* choose to take only those that fit your selfish wants, not
needs, hypocrite.

> --
> SN
> http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
> A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
> Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.
> Irony, hypocrisy, stupidity and ignorance run amok....

Scented Nectar

> > You're lying. Produce is a need. So are nuts,
> > seeds, beans and grains which you left out.
> > A need which causes a forced complicity
> > with the only available suppliers.

> ================
> More delusions, killer. You have more than one available source for

all
> these. *YOU* choose to take only those that fit your selfish wants,

not
> needs, hypocrite.

Tell me these magical other sources.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Derek

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/55nv5

>>I'll take the absence of your response to this as
>>a tacit agreement.

Read below *.

>>> How accusing veg*ns of the deliberate deaths
>>>they contribute to, is accusing them of causing things
>>>that don't even exist.

>>Because, as I've said repeatedly now, according to
>>him intentional deaths aren't collateral deaths, so
>>whenever he accuses the vegan of causing them he
>>accuses them of causing things, which to him don't
>>even exist.

> No Derek, and you're aware of it.

How many times must I remind you that this thread
concerns itself with his view on what constitutes
collateral deaths and his wrongful blaming for things
that, according to his view cannot logically exist? If
you hadn't ignored my earlier comment above* you
would've been reminded of that and not tried to divert
this discussion onto my view of what constitutes one
instead.

>>> If someone caused them to happen they can be
>>>blamed for them, since they are to blame for them.

>>That's true and takes nothing from the fact that, if
>>they're truly accidental, then no one can be blamed
>>for them.

> When people cause farm machinery to run blades
>through the surface area of fields, turning the ground
>upside down and stomping down on it with tons of weight,
>animals are killed and those responsible for the action are
>to blame.

That's right: farmers.

>>> There's a difference between being responsible and
>>>contributing.

>>We aren't responsible for them, as you concede.
>>That you believe we contribute to those deaths
>>is irrelevant and cannot be shown anyway. I for
>>one don't contribute anything towards those deaths.

> How do you avoid it?

It's not a case of avoiding it. It's something that happens
around me, like the illegal invasion of British forces on
foreign land, for example.

>>>We personally can contribute to something,
>>>without being responsible for whether or not it occurs.

>>No. If I contribute to the meat industry by eating
>>meat, then I am responsible for the deaths of those
>>animals I choose as part of my diet.

> No.

YES Harrison. YOU are responsible for the death of
whatever animal you choose to eat. Get used to it!

>>> It works fine for meat eaters too.

>>Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
>>Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.

> I rarely have in the past. Most never do.
>
>>There's no confusion over whether either are to
>>blame for the deaths they cause. When vegetarians
>>are accused of causing the deaths of animals, the
>>link between the two actions isn't apparent, and
>>that's where the "but for" condition comes into play.
>>It doesn't work for meatarians because the link
>>between them and the deaths they cause is already
>>apparent.

> Whatever works for veg*ns in that respect, works
>equally well for meat consumers.

I've just painstakingly shown that it doesn't.

>>> True.

>>You have no option but to agree.
>>
>>>But but for the consumer the same is true. As
>>>a group, customers are causal.

>>They are causal to whatever they choose to kill.
>>Vegetarians vicariously kill the vegetables they eat.
>>Meatarians vicariously kill the animals they eat.
>>There's no confusion over whether either are to
>>blame for the deaths they cause.

> Including deaths associated with crop production.

No. Neither the meatarian or the vegetarian is responsible
for the collateral deaths caused by autonomous farmers in
crop production, whether those crops go to feed livestock
or ourselves.

>>>So when we join a
>>>group which causes things to occur, and contribute
>>>to such things happening in the future, we take on
>>>some degree of responsibility, imo.

>>Yet further up this page you state;
>> "There's a difference between being responsible
>> and contributing. We personally can contribute to
>> something, without being responsible for whether
>> or not it occurs."
>>
>>Make up tour mind.
>>[..]

> The degree of responsibility would only be in
>regards to how our contribution influenced future
>such products, so it's usually not worth considering.

Then you've nothing say.

>We are still contributing to it none the less.

You might be, but I ain't. Speak for yourself only.
rick etter

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message
>> > You're lying. Produce is a need. So are nuts,
>> > seeds, beans and grains which you left out.
>> > A need which causes a forced complicity
>> > with the only available suppliers.

>> ================
>> More delusions, killer. You have more than one available source for

> all
>> these. *YOU* choose to take only those that fit your selfish wants,

> not
>> needs, hypocrite.

> Tell me these magical other sources.

======================
They've been discussed fool. You still choose the ones that you 'wsant'
rather that only what you 'need'.

> --
> SN
> http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
> A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
> Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.
> Irony, hypocrisy, stupidity and ignorance run amok....

Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> Scented Nectar wrote:
>
> >>The deaths are intentional to you: you know about
> >>them, you claim to decry them, you aren't obliged to
> >>buy the food. All the elements of intentionality are
> >>there.
> >>
> >>It's settled, then: collateral all the way around;
> >>accidental to the farmer; intentional to you. Time to
> >>move on to a new waste of time, Dreck.

> > Cds and/or ids are not controllable by
> > the consumer of food.

> Your participation in the markets for commercially
> produced fruits and vegetables is FULLY controllable by
> you. Stop lying.

I'm holding a gun to her head. She has no choice. I am forcing her to do
that.
Scented Nectar

> > Tell me these magical other sources.
> ======================
> They've been discussed fool. You still choose the ones that you

'wsant'
> rather that only what you 'need'.

We have different definitions of need.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

rick etter

"Stinky" > wrote in message
>> > Tell me these magical other sources.

>> They've been discussed fool. You still choose the ones that you

> 'wsant'
>> rather that only what you 'need'.

> We have different definitions of need.

No, you have selfish definitions of need. What the body 'needs' to survive
is fairly constant, killer. What you choose to eat if for your wants,
conveninece and entertainment.