Richard Miller

Default Avocado and olive oil

I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off. Anyway when I
have a salad for lunch I put half of an avocado or one tablespoon of olive
oil so to have a balance of fat and carbos. The same with dinner. I'm afraid
of not getting enough fat in my diet, so would this be a good way to go?

Richard

usual suspect

Richard Miller wrote:
> I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off. Anyway when I
> have a salad for lunch I put half of an avocado or one tablespoon of olive
> oil so to have a balance of fat and carbos. The same with dinner. I'm afraid
> of not getting enough fat in my diet, so would this be a good way to go?

You could also add some nuts and/or cheese. I make a salad dressing like
the one in the following link, only I use canola oil and more cashews
than that.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...0/rec0014.html
Steve

Richard Miller wrote:
> I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off. Anyway when I
> have a salad for lunch I put half of an avocado or one tablespoon of olive
> oil so to have a balance of fat and carbos. The same with dinner. I'm afraid
> of not getting enough fat in my diet, so would this be a good way to go?

If you are concerned about preventing heart attacks the only two oils
you want to use on a regular basis are olive oil and canola oil.

Most people are short on omega 3 fatty acids, so if you are going to do
something to get more fats you may want to eat 2 tablespoons of ground
flax seed a day ( cheaper, more benefits then the oil ). Walnuts are
good to.

For the other essential fatty acids and to get "good fats" eat avocados
(not just the oil ), flax, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters.

Avoid any oil, fat, or ingredient that uses the word "hydrogenated" or
"partially hydrogenated". These are the bad fats.

--

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

usual suspect

Steve wrote:
>> I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off. Anyway
>> when I have a salad for lunch I put half of an avocado or one
>> tablespoon of olive oil so to have a balance of fat and carbos. The
>> same with dinner. I'm afraid of not getting enough fat in my diet, so
>> would this be a good way to go?

> If you are concerned about preventing heart attacks the only two oils
> you want to use on a regular basis are olive oil and canola oil.

Fish oils are also beneficial, as are the fats contained in grass-fed
ruminants like cattle (NOT grain-finished), wild game, bison, etc.

> Most people are short on omega 3 fatty acids, so if you are going to do
> something to get more fats you may want to eat 2 tablespoons of ground
> flax seed a day ( cheaper, more benefits then the oil ). Walnuts are
> good to.

Too. Not to.

> For the other essential fatty acids and to get "good fats" eat avocados
> (not just the oil ), flax, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters.
>
> Avoid any oil, fat, or ingredient that uses the word "hydrogenated" or
> "partially hydrogenated". These are the bad fats.

Transfats aren't the only bad plant fats. Tropical oils like coconut and
palm are also saturated and very undesirable on a regular basis.
Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:20:15 GMT, usual suspect > wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>>> I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off. Anyway
>>> when I have a salad for lunch I put half of an avocado or one
>>> tablespoon of olive oil so to have a balance of fat and carbos. The
>>> same with dinner. I'm afraid of not getting enough fat in my diet, so
>>> would this be a good way to go?

>> If you are concerned about preventing heart attacks the only two oils
>> you want to use on a regular basis are olive oil and canola oil.

>Fish oils are also beneficial

No thanks, pusher. Haven't you anything better to
do other than push meat onto vegans like a common
drug pusher?

usual suspect

Dreck wrote:

>>>If you are concerned about preventing heart attacks the only two oils
>>>you want to use on a regular basis are olive oil and canola oil.

>>Fish oils are also beneficial

> No

*Yes*. Just because you're orthorexic doesn't mean everyone else should
be, fatso. The OP, Richard Miller, said explicitly that he's not a
strict vegetarian:
I have been a veggie on and off for a long time, mostly off.
Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:54:13 GMT, usual suspect > wrote:

>>>Fish oils are also beneficial

>> No

>*Yes*.

The whole of my paragraph went;

avocado Richard K. General Cooking 9 16-11-2012 12:08 PM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] General Cooking 1 12-08-2006 10:24 AM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] Marketplace 0 12-08-2006 06:27 AM
AVOCADO ICE yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 19-08-2005 05:34 AM
AVOCADO ? General Cooking 37 06-03-2005 02:56 PM