Del Crow

wrote:

> [...]
> > > about problems with manganese. The concern here in rural Nebraska is
> > > mainly about nitrates. Most of our towns and almost all farmers get
> > > their water from wells. Some of the towns have had to drill new wells
> > > due to nitrate contamination.
> > > Part of the blame has been placed on farmers over fertilizing their
> > > crops. There are some regulations in place now. They vary from place
> > > to place within the state. Technology has also improved. It's now
> > > possible to be more precise with the application rate.
> > > Improperly managed livestock feeding operations can also add to the
> > > nitrate problem. Too many animals in a small area or bad drainage can
> > > be the cause.
> > > That link in the other post will probably lead you to all the
> > > information........................Dean
> > >***Thanks Dean, I/ve got to go out to buy hay this am. The hay,from

> > high up in a hayshed, incidentally smells heavily of urine, which is
> > part of the trigger to these feed questions. The manganese+++etc
> > buildup is implicated in prion disease feed problems, with likely 3rd
> > or 4th hand human ingestion. Not much is being admitted. I'll get to
> > the search this evening......... Del ***

> > > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

> ********** Hi, Dean.... Interesting Abstract Mn vs Cu ********
>
> Department of Bioproduction Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kobe
> University, 1-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501, Japan.
>
> The conversion of the normal cellular prion protein to an abnormal
> isoform is considered to be causal to the prion diseases or
> transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. The prion protein is a
> copper binding protein but under some conditions may bind other
> metals. In particular, the binding of manganese has been suggested to
> convert the prion protein (PrP) to a protease resistant isoform.
> Therefore, the differences in the way the protein binds copper and
> manganese might be revealing in terms of the mechanism of conversion
> of the protein or its normal cellular activity. We report the use of
> near-infrared spectroscopy for studies on aqueous solutions of prion
> protein binding Cu or Mn. These alloforms of the protein were analyzed
> by spectral data acquisition and multivariate analysis. Our results
> indicate that PrP binds both Mn and Cu differently. Analyses of Cu
> binding suggest that the PrP-Cu complex protected Cu from the water
> increasing protein stability. PrP-Mn does not protect Mn from water
> interactions. A real-time study of the protein alloforms showed that
> PrP-Cu remains stable in solution, but that PrP-Mn underwent highly
> different changes that led to fibril formation.
>
> PMID: 15541389 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
> ********* I'm counting on a "water interaction" as part of
> my personal treatment choice. (Look up MegaH PhiScience for how the
> stuff might neutralize and hydrate Mg+++etc) (its
> only 8 PM here on the west coast) But, Good night Dean. Del

***********
Hi, Dean
Pursuing "slurry" but came up with abstracts on Ammonia (NH3). Del
**********
Managing ammonia emissions from dairy cows by amending slurry with
alum or zeolite or by diet modification.

Meisinger JJ, Lefcourt AM, Van Kessel JA, Wilkerson V.

USDA-ARS, Animal Manure and By-Product Laboratory, Beltsville, MD
20705, USA.

Animal agriculture is a significant source of atmospheric ammonia.
Ammonia (NH3) volatilization represents a loss of plant available N to
the farmer and a potential contributor to eutrophication in
low-nitrogen input ecosystems. This research evaluated on-farm slurry
treatments of alum or zeolite and compared three diets for lactating
dairy cows in their effectiveness to reduce NH3 emissions. NH3
emissions were compared using a group of mobile wind tunnels. The
addition of 2.5% alum or 6.25% zeolite to barn-stored dairy slurry
reduced NH3 volatilization by 60% and 55%, respectively, compared to
untreated slurry. The alum conserved NH3 by acidifying the slurry to
below pH 5, while the zeolite conserved ammonia by lowering the
solution-phase nitrogen through cation exchange. The use of alum or
zeolite also reduced soluble phosphorus in the slurry. NH3 loss from
fresh manure collected from lactating dairy cows was not affected by
three diets containing the same level of crude protein but differing
in forage source (orchardgrass silage vs. alfalfa silage) or neutral
detergent fiber (NDF) content (30% vs. 35% NDF). NH3 losses from the
freshly excreted manures occurred very rapidly and included the urea
component plus some unidentified labile organic nitrogen sources. NH3
conservation strategies for fresh manures will have to be active
within the first few hours after excretion in order to be most
effective. The use of alum or zeolites as an on-farm amendment to
dairy slurry offers the potential for significantly reducing NH3
emissions.

PMID: 12805887 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
********
There is another abstract indicating that the combination of Mn and
Nh3 is twice as toxic as either alone. I'll see if I've got it. Del
*******
Combined effects of ammonia and manganese on astrocytes in culture.
Jayakumar AR, Rama Rao KV, Kalaiselvi P, Norenberg MD.
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL 33126, USA.

Ammonia has been strongly implicated in the pathogenesis of hepatic
encephalopathy (HE), and astrocytes appear to be the primary target of
ammonia neurotoxicity. Recent work has shown that manganese also plays
a role in the pathogenesis of HE and causes astrocyte morphologic and
functional changes similar to ammonia. We therefore investigated
whether a combination of these compounds could produce
additive/synergistic effects. Cultured astrocytes treated with 5 mM
ammonia (NH4Cl) along with 100 microM manganese acetate (MnAc) for 3 h
showed a 55-65% increase in free radical production over ammonia or
manganese alone (P < 0.05). There was also a 50% decrease in the
mitochondrial membrane potential (beta psi(m)) at 24 h following
treatment with NH4Cl (5 mM) plus MnAc (50 microM) (P < 0.05), as
compared to ammonia or manganese alone. Astrocytes treated with
ammonia or manganese alone for 24 h showed no cell death, as
determined by LDH release and light microscopic examination. However,
cultures treated with ammonia plus manganese showed 80-90% necrotic
cell death as estimated by light microscopy and 59% cell death as
determined by LDH release. LDH release by ammonia plus manganese was
blocked by the antioxidant superoxide dismutase (25 units/ml) as well
as by the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor
N(omega)-nitro-L-argininemethyl ester (500 microM). In conclusion,
ammonia plus manganese exert additive/synergetic effects on the
induction free radicals, mitochondrial inner membrane depolarization
and cellular integrity, which may contribute to the tissue injury
associated with chronic forms of HE.

PMID: 15662839 [PubMed - in process]