Michael Henderson

Default Soy Protein and Anemia

Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

If so, what can be done to counter this effect, besides taking a
multi-vitamin.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Steve

Michael Henderson wrote:
> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

No.

Anemia is an iron shortage.

Lacto vegetarians tend to get anemia as milk products have next to no
iron whereas beans ( including soy ) have significant amounts of iron,
which btw, are more readily absorbed if eaten with a good source of
vitamin C.......for example fruit for dessert.

HTH

--

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

Michael Henderson wrote:
> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

No.

Anemia is an iron shortage.

Lacto vegetarians tend to get anemia as milk products have next to no
iron whereas beans ( including soy ) have significant amounts of iron,
which btw, are more readily absorbed if eaten with a good source of
vitamin C.......for example fruit for dessert.

HTH

--

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

usual suspect

Michael Henderson wrote:
> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

Yes, phytates in non-heme iron sources binds with iron (and zinc).

Dietary factors that can reduce non-heme iron absorption
include phytates (found in grains, legumes, and rice); soy
protein and soy fiber; oxalates (found in spinach); and tannic
acid (found in teas and coffee). Calcium (found in dairy
products) can reduce the absorption of both non-heme and heme
iron (1).
http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/InfoSheets/iron.htm

> If so, what can be done to counter this effect, besides taking a
> multi-vitamin.

Consider taking a heme source of iron -- just a bit of meat.

In one study, non-heme iron was absorbed more easily in the
presence of heme iron from meat. The study showed that just
eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of pork
increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
and 75g trials):
http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

And don't bitch back to me that you're a vegan -- that's probably why
you're experiencing health complications.
usual suspect

Michael Henderson wrote:
> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

Yes, phytates in non-heme iron sources binds with iron (and zinc).

Dietary factors that can reduce non-heme iron absorption
include phytates (found in grains, legumes, and rice); soy
protein and soy fiber; oxalates (found in spinach); and tannic
acid (found in teas and coffee). Calcium (found in dairy
products) can reduce the absorption of both non-heme and heme
iron (1).
http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/InfoSheets/iron.htm

> If so, what can be done to counter this effect, besides taking a
> multi-vitamin.

Consider taking a heme source of iron -- just a bit of meat.

In one study, non-heme iron was absorbed more easily in the
presence of heme iron from meat. The study showed that just
eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of pork
increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
and 75g trials):
http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

And don't bitch back to me that you're a vegan -- that's probably why
you're experiencing health complications.

Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

> Michael Henderson wrote:
>
>> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

> Yes, phytates in non-heme iron sources binds with iron (and zinc).
>
> Dietary factors that can reduce non-heme iron absorption
> include phytates (found in grains, legumes, and rice); soy
> protein and soy fiber; oxalates (found in spinach); and tannic
> acid (found in teas and coffee). Calcium (found in dairy
> products) can reduce the absorption of both non-heme and heme
> iron (1).
> http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/InfoSheets/iron.htm
>
>> If so, what can be done to counter this effect, besides taking a
>> multi-vitamin.

> Consider taking a heme source of iron -- just a bit of meat.
>
> In one study, non-heme iron was absorbed more easily in the
> presence of heme iron from meat. The study showed that just
> eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of pork
> increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
> and 75g trials):
> http://tinyurl.com/x8b2
>
> And don't bitch back to me that you're a vegan -- that's probably why
> you're experiencing health complications.

I've been a vegan for 26 years, my son for 22, my step son for 26,
Until my eldest was in a bad car accident, he was an American Legion
pitcher, a state cup soccer player, and a top 6 wrestler in the State.
My son played varsity soccer at college and is a fine runner.

There are many reasons one can have anemia, don't let Usual Suspects
diagnose you over the internet. He has some kind of strange agenda.

There's a yahoo group on vegetarian body builders. Highly recommended.
usual suspect

Beach Runner wrote:
>>> Can a diet rich in soy proteins cause anemia?

>> Yes, phytates in non-heme iron sources binds with iron (and zinc).
>>
>> Dietary factors that can reduce non-heme iron absorption
>> include phytates (found in grains, legumes, and rice); soy
>> protein and soy fiber; oxalates (found in spinach); and tannic
>> acid (found in teas and coffee). Calcium (found in dairy
>> products) can reduce the absorption of both non-heme and heme
>> iron (1).
>> http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/InfoSheets/iron.htm
>>
>>> If so, what can be done to counter this effect, besides taking a
>>> multi-vitamin.

>> Consider taking a heme source of iron -- just a bit of meat.
>>
>> In one study, non-heme iron was absorbed more easily in the
>> presence of heme iron from meat. The study showed that just
>> eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of pork
>> increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
>> and 75g trials):
>> http://tinyurl.com/x8b2
>>
>> And don't bitch back to me that you're a vegan -- that's probably why
>> you're experiencing health complications.

> I've been a vegan for 26 years,

So what?

> my son for 22,

So what?

> my step son for 26,

So what?

> Until my eldest was in a bad car accident, he was an American Legion
> pitcher, a state cup soccer player, and a top 6 wrestler in the State.

Sweaty guys rolling around on the floor, holding each other tightly.
Wrestling is SO ***.

> My son played varsity soccer at college and is a fine runner.

So what?

> There are many reasons one can have anemia,

INCLUDING DIET.

Vegetarians are at risk of developing anemia. This usually
occurs because they don't eat meat, (especially red meat) which
is high in iron.
http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/anemia.asp

Phytates and oxalates can interfere with iron absorption from
the gut, but the research is not conclusive on this subject.
Phytates are found in bran and whole grains. Oxalates are high
in nut and nut butters, beets and beet greens, tea,
strawberries, gelatin, rhubarb, spinach, chocolate and wheat
bran. Most of these foods are the very substance of a vegetarian
diet.

Iron in non-meat foods is called non-heme iron. Vegetarians
should eat dark green leafy vegetables, broccoli, legumes, yeast
leavened whole grain breads, iron-enriched pasta, rice and
cereal and meat analogs which are high in iron. Unfortunately,
the iron in these foods is not as absorbable as the iron in
meat.
http://www.dietitian.com/iron.html

I am a vegetarian. What steps should I take to make sure I get
enough iron?

It depends on your diet. Since it's easier to get iron from meat
than from plant-derived foods, some vegetarians may need to take
a higher amount of iron each day than what is recommended for
other people.
http://www.4woman.gov/faq/anemia.htm#11

Restrictive vegetarian diets (including macrobiotic)... can be
associated with more widespread iron-deficiency anaemia.
Adequate iron nutriture depends on both the amount of dietary
iron consumed and the amount absorbed.
http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Iron.htm

Etc.

> don't let Usual Suspects
> diagnose you over the internet.

I wasn't diagnosing anyone. The OP asked a question, and I gave an
honest answer.

> He has some kind of strange agenda.

Advising one to consider the effect of peculiar diets on one's health is
a strange agenda? Maybe it's *your* strange agenda that's causing his
health complaints, dummy.

How much protein do you eat? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 16-05-2012 06:00 AM
Hemp protein vs. Whey protein ImStillMags General Cooking 6 17-08-2010 07:57 PM
Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder amandaF General Cooking 177 09-03-2009 07:33 PM
soy protein irma Preserving 1 04-06-2008 04:36 AM
Plant Protein vs Animal Protein [email protected] Vegan 2 09-01-2005 05:32 AM