misanthrope

animal rights is an issue in which i have no interest, and i therefore feel
i'm unqualified to pronounce upon it.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...osophy&x=0&y=0

> Main Entry: phi·los·o·phy
> Pronunciation: f&-'lä-s(&-)fE
> Function: noun
> Inflected Form(s): plural -phies
> Etymology: Middle English philosophie, from Old French, from
> Latin philosophia, from Greek, from philosophos philosopher
> [...]
> 2 a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding
> of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational
> means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing
> fundamental beliefs
> 3 a : a system of philosophical concepts b : a theory underlying or
> regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war>
> <philosophy of science>
> 4 a : the most general beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual
> or group

John Jones

**** off from alt.philosophy

formerly known as 'cat arranger'

I believe that existence is a benefit.
It seems that species are incorrectly
divided up into individuals when they
they really are more of a continuum.
So the benefit of existence is to the
parents and the species. To the parents
in that their genes and their need to
continue is fulfilled and to the species
in that it is continued.

But it is a sort of false benefit in that the
species can be continued quite well without
farming and most meat eaters could not
care less about a species except for the
benefit of their bloody meat.

pearl

"Tim" > wrote in message news ...
> On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to a
> well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
> sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of water.
> Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

Livestock Suffer, Too
http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter5.html

pearl

"Tim" > wrote in message news ...
> On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to a
> well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
> sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of water.
> Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

Livestock Suffer, Too
http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter5.html

Rudy Canoza

formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
> I believe that existence is a benefit.

No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
entity better off; that is, something that improves the
welfare of an entity.

Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Ron

In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,
wrote:

> I believe that existence is a benefit.
> It seems that species are incorrectly
> divided up into individuals when they
> they really are more of a continuum.
> So the benefit of existence is to the
> parents and the species. To the parents
> in that their genes and their need to
> continue is fulfilled and to the species
> in that it is continued.

Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
individual members of the species will die so that the species can
flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.
Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
> > I believe that existence is a benefit.

> No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
> entity better off; that is, something that improves the
> welfare of an entity.

What is a "benefit" is also subjective.

> Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
> that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
> not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
> therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
> > I believe that existence is a benefit.

> No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
> entity better off; that is, something that improves the
> welfare of an entity.

What is a "benefit" is also subjective.

> Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
> that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
> not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
> therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,
> "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote:
>

>>I believe that existence is a benefit.
>>It seems that species are incorrectly
>>divided up into individuals when they
>>they really are more of a continuum.
>>So the benefit of existence is to the
>>parents and the species. To the parents
>>in that their genes and their need to
>>continue is fulfilled and to the species
>>in that it is continued.

> Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
> for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
> is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
> What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
> individual members of the species will die so that the species can
> flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.

Not to the individual animal.
Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,
> "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> wrote:
>

>>I believe that existence is a benefit.
>>It seems that species are incorrectly
>>divided up into individuals when they
>>they really are more of a continuum.
>>So the benefit of existence is to the
>>parents and the species. To the parents
>>in that their genes and their need to
>>continue is fulfilled and to the species
>>in that it is continued.

> Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
> for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
> is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
> What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
> individual members of the species will die so that the species can
> flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.

Not to the individual animal.

Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article t>,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>>
>>>I believe that existence is a benefit.

>>No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
>>entity better off; that is, something that improves the
>>welfare of an entity.

> What is a "benefit" is also subjective.

Irrelevant, thus non sequitur. It doesn't change the
FACT that an entity MUST ALREADY exist in order to
realize any benefit from anything.

You regularly spew irrelevancies. Why is that?

>>Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
>>that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
>>not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
>>therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article t>,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>>
>>>I believe that existence is a benefit.

>>No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
>>entity better off; that is, something that improves the
>>welfare of an entity.

> What is a "benefit" is also subjective.

Irrelevant, thus non sequitur. It doesn't change the
FACT that an entity MUST ALREADY exist in order to
realize any benefit from anything.

You regularly spew irrelevancies. Why is that?

>>Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
>>that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
>>not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
>>therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Ron

In article >,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> > In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,
> > "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I believe that existence is a benefit.
> >>It seems that species are incorrectly
> >>divided up into individuals when they
> >>they really are more of a continuum.
> >>So the benefit of existence is to the
> >>parents and the species. To the parents
> >>in that their genes and their need to
> >>continue is fulfilled and to the species
> >>in that it is continued.

> > Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
> > for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
> > is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
> > What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
> > individual members of the species will die so that the species can
> > flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.

> Not to the individual animal.

The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children, the grand
children and the great grand children. I would think it selfish for
anyone to deny their children and subsequent generations of their
genetic line their time at a successful existence by refusing to die off
when the time comes. Humans just don't have our expiry dates stamped on
our bottoms.
Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article >,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>Ron wrote:
>>

>>>In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,

>>>Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
>>>for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
>>>is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
>>>What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
>>>individual members of the species will die so that the species can
>>>flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.

>>Not to the individual animal.

> The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children

The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
resources for some additional time.
Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article >,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>Ron wrote:
>>

>>>In article <_XqHd.6000$Nu.3438@fed1read04>,

>>>Continuation of a species requires death. One generation must die off
>>>for the next one to survive and thrive. The continuation of the species
>>>is possible through the dying off of individual members and over time.
>>>What does seem to be a contentious point is when and where the
>>>individual members of the species will die so that the species can
>>>flourish. There does seem to be a benefit to death.

>>Not to the individual animal.

> The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children

The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
resources for some additional time.

Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> >>Not to the individual animal.

> > The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children

> The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
> resources for some additional time.

Greedy and selfish. Frankly, I just don't see the difference if someone
dies at 72 or 75. It's only time.
Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> >>Not to the individual animal.

> > The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children

> The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
> resources for some additional time.

Greedy and selfish. Frankly, I just don't see the difference if someone
dies at 72 or 75. It's only time.
Tim

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Tim" > wrote in message
> news > ..
>> On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to
>> well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
>> sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of
>> water.
>> Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

> Livestock Suffer, Too
> http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter5.html

Agreed. Factory farming methods cause suffering. But not all methods of
animal raising cause suffering. So not all livestock suffer.

Tim

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Tim" > wrote in message
> news > ..
>> On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to
>> well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
>> sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of
>> water.
>> Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

> Livestock Suffer, Too
> http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter5.html

Agreed. Factory farming methods cause suffering. But not all methods of
animal raising cause suffering. So not all livestock suffer.

Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:

> In article t>,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>Ron wrote:

>>>The parent dies leaving room and resources for the children

>>The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
>>resources for some additional time.

> Greedy and selfish.

Your opinion. You have revealed yourself to hold
primitive, poorly developed opinions.

Ron

In article t>,
Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> > In article t>,
> > Rudy Canoza > wrote:

> >>The parent would probably gladly trade some room and
> >>resources for some additional time.

> > Greedy and selfish.

> Your opinion. You have revealed yourself to hold
> primitive, poorly developed opinions.

I know. The "me" generation certainly changed that perspective for many
people. I was always told by people that they would happily give their
lives for their children. Window dressing, I imagine.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:53:58 GMT, "misanthrope" > wrote:

>animal rights is an issue in which i have no interest, and i therefore feel
>i'm unqualified to pronounce upon it.

That doesn't mean human influence on animals should not be
discussed in a philosophy group. It may well be that none of you
care about it, but that doesn't mean it's not appropriate. And it is
certainly more appropriate than whining and crying because other
people are discussing it like your buddy Jones.

.. .

On 18 Jan 2005 08:37:42 -0800, "John Jones" > wrote:

>**** off from here then

You're the one who doesn't like it, so you **** off. Go hang out in
alt.whiners.crybabies or something.
Rudy Canoza

Ron wrote:
> In article t>,
> Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>anal leakage wrote:

>>>Greedy and selfish.

>>Your opinion. You have revealed yourself to hold
>>primitive, poorly developed opinions.

> I know.

Well, then, why don't you try to think out and develop
your opinions a little better?

The POINT, little leaky homo/sophist, is that the
parent probably would like some additional time and
would be willing to live on fewer resources and in less
space, so your claim that death is a "benefit" is
contradicted, no matter what your subjective, poorly
developed MORAL opinion on the matter might be.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:50:31 -0800, "formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote:

>I believe that existence is a benefit.

Life is the benefit which allows zygotes to grow into animals.
Life is the benefit which makes all others possible.

>It seems that species are incorrectly
>divided up into individuals

They are divided up into individuals. You should know that
from the cats, if nothing else.

>when they
>they really are more of a continuum.

That depends on what you are discussing specifically...

>So the benefit of existence is to the
>parents

....like there you're discussing individuals...

>and the species.

....and there the species.

>To the parents
>in that their genes and their need to
>continue is fulfilled and to the species
>in that it is continued.
>
>But it is a sort of false benefit in that the
>species can be continued quite well without
>farming

· The meat industry includes habitats in which a small
variety of animals are raised. The animals in those
habitats, as those in any other, are completely dependant
on them to not only sustain their lives, but they also
depend on them to provide the pairing of sperm and egg
that begin their particular lives. Those particular animals will
only live if people continue to raise them for food.

Animals that are born to other groups--such as wild
animals, pets, performing animals, etc.--are completely
different groups of animals. Regardless of how many or few
animals are born to these other groups, the billions of animals
which are raised for food will always be dependant on that
industry, and will only experience life if humans continue to
consume them. ·

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:05:57 GMT, the Gonad wrote:

>formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>> I believe that existence is a benefit.

>No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
>entity better off; that is, something that improves the
>welfare of an entity.
>
>Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
>that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
>not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
>therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Life is the benefit which allows zygotes to grow into animals.
Life is the benefit which makes all others possible. It's not a
sure sign of stupidity if a person can't figure that out for
himself--maybe--but it is a sure sign of stupidity if a person
can't understand it even after it has been pointed out to him.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:19:00 -0500, Ron > wrote:

>In article t>,
> the Gonad wrote:
>
>> formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>> > I believe that existence is a benefit.

>> No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
>> entity better off; that is, something that improves the
>> welfare of an entity.

>What is a "benefit" is also subjective.

The Gonad has not been--and apparently never will
be--able to provide an example of a definition backing
up his claim. If he could have he would have done it
by now, and would have done it repeatedly.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:53:43 -0500, "Tim" > wrote:

>the Gonad wrote in message
ink.net...
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:57:51 GMT, "misanthrope"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> Some farm animals benefit from farming and some do not.

>> NO farmed animals benefit from farming. Existing per se is not a benefit.

>On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to a
>well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
>sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of water.
>Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

"ARAs" can't afford to consider such things, and as we can see they are
very much opposed to other people considering such things as well. Doesn't
it seem strange that the people who say they care about animals, don't care
about animals who benefit from farming? On the surface it could seem strange,
but when we consider that their objective is to eliminate farm animals it makes
a lot more sense. Since they want to eliminate farm animals completely, the
last thing they would want is for people to recognise that some farm animals
benefit from farming. If that became popular, some people who are considering
veg*nism might decide to contribute to decent lives for farm animals instead.
They know that if people felt good about contributing to decent lives for farm
animals, it could hinder their hopes of making the elimination of farm animals
appear to be the most "ethical" approach humans could take. Especially if
it becomes more popular for people to consider that some types of meat involve
fewer animal deaths than some types of veggies...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:39:45 -0000, "pearl" > wrote:

>"Tim" > wrote in message news >..
>> On a farm Cows are afforded protection from predators and easy access to a
>> well balanced diet. Compare to a wild herd in say Africa - Lions and all
>> sorts of predators to get you - competition for food - poor supply of water.
>> Sounds like a farm animal benefits to me.

>Livestock Suffer, Too
>http://www.apnm.org/waste_of_west/Chapter5.html

Some do and some don't. One thing that's always true though, is that
people can't contribute to decent lives for livestock with their lifestyle if
they are vegan. Only conscientious consumers can do that.
misanthrope