Old 07-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Scented Nectar

Default New Soup

Hey Pearl, I'll be trying out that new soup
tomorrow or Sunday. No guarantees
though, as I'm just going to make it up as
I go along the produce aisles at the organic
place.

One not completely organic thing that I will
use in it is, a leftover 2 cups of unsalted
veggie broth I made. Here's the recipe of
the broth:

Veggie Broth

--Ingredients:
1 large onion
1 garlic bulb - use all cloves
2 sweet potatoes
1 small bunch celery
4 carrots
2 sweet red peppers
20 parsley sprigs
10 large mushrooms, unopened

--Directions:
Coarsely chop everything except the
parsley and mushrooms.

Put everything in an extra large cookpot.
Fill with water, and simmer until the
carrots are soft.

Strain, keeping the broth.

This freezes well. It makes about 25 cups of broth.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Scented Nectar

"Scented Nectar" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I've been shopping but only at the place
that has less organic than the other store.

I got an organic cauliflower, organic carrots,
organic broccoli, potatoes, organic soymilk,
bag of frozen corn, herbs, spices. and I'll use
my 2 cups leftover broth.

I'm going for a 'creamy' thick puree. If it turns
out good, I'll post the recipe later.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Scented Nectar

[...]

Here it is. I think it turned out pretty good.
Lot's of flavour.

2 cups unsalted broth
946 ml organic soy milk
4 lg yukon gold potatoes - chopped
1 cauliflower - head only, chopped
1 brocolli - head only, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. basil
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
approx. 2 cups extra water.

Put all of the above into a big cookpot.

Bring to a simmer then lower the heat.
Cook till veggies are very soft. Stir
often as it will foam up at first.

Remove the bay leaves.

Puree with one of those handheld
things, or use the blender in small
batches

Once it's pureed, thaw the corn under
the hot water tap, drain and add to the
soup.

I'll save the organic carrots for another
recipe. They just didn't seem like they'd
go with the above.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
pearl

Heya Scented Nectar,

What an unlikely (to ol' me), but very nevertheless
very tasty-looking selection. I can't imagine what
to expect... I'll let you know, if you like.. .

To return the/a favour, I'd like to share with you
a site/service I recently came across, which gives
you (free) 5 photos a day with software which
automatically changes desktop wallpaper themes..
http://www.webshots.com/ . - - Eye Candy. .

Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Scented Nectar

Here it is. I think it turned out pretty good.
Lot's of flavour.

2 cups unsalted broth
946 ml organic soy milk
4 lg yukon gold potatoes - chopped
1 cauliflower - head only, chopped
1 brocolli - head only, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. basil
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
approx. 2 cups extra water.

Put all of the above into a big cookpot.

Bring to a simmer then lower the heat.
Cook till veggies are very soft. Stir
often as it will foam up at first.

Remove the bay leaves.

Puree with one of those handheld
things, or use the blender in small
batches

I forgot to mention here as an ingredient:
1 small bag frozen corn

Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
pearl

[...]

.

*
" In every respect, vegans appear to enjoy equal or better health
in comparison to both vegetarians and non-vegetarians." -- T.
Colin Campbell, PhD Professor of Nutrition, Cornell University
(letter dated 3/29/98)

Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 AM
pearl

Many thanks, S.N.

As it appears that (at least unfermented) soya is best
avoided [ http://www.detailshere.com/lowdownonsoy.htm ],
do you think that 'Rice Dream' would be alright instead?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Scented Nectar

Here it is. I think it turned out pretty good.
Lot's of flavour.

2 cups unsalted broth
946 ml organic soy milk
4 lg yukon gold potatoes - chopped
1 cauliflower - head only, chopped
1 brocolli - head only, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. basil
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. salt

The soup turned out to have the right amount
of salt for my tastes, but it might be best to only
put in 2 tsp. to start with. You can always put in
more later.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 PM
usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
Hey Pearl, I'll be trying out that new soup
tomorrow or Sunday. No guarantees
though, as I'm just going to make it up as
I go along the produce aisles at the organic
place.

IOW, you don't grow anything. Stop pretending you support "veganic" farming.

One not completely organic thing

Why would you concern yourself over organic or conventional? They're
just different blood-drenched sides of the same blood-drenched coin.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:23 PM
usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:

Well, I've been shopping but only at the place
that has less organic than the other store.

Doesn't make a ****ing difference, Skanky. Both stores use lethal force
to kill rodents and other pests. Both kinds of farming also use lethal
force to kill rodents and other pests. Both kinds of farming use
machinery that runs over or mutilates animals. You're still contributing
to wholesale animal slaughter and pain, you misguided, heartless witch.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
Here it is. I think it turned out pretty good.

Sounds utterly horrible.

Lot's of flavour.

Lots. No apostrophe, it's not possessive.

2 cups unsalted broth
946 ml organic soy milk

Why not use the whole damn liter?

4 lg yukon gold potatoes - chopped

Potatoes are a vicious animal killing crop. I hope you're happy.

1 cauliflower - head only, chopped
1 brocolli - head only, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. basil
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
approx. 2 cups extra water.

Put all of the above into a big cookpot.

Bring to a simmer then lower the heat.
Cook till veggies are very soft.

Yuck. Mushy vegetables? They'd be a LOT healthier for you if you
wouldn't overcook them, Skanky, but I know you're a poseur when it comes
to interest in health anyway.

Stir often as it will foam up at first.

So it matches your mouth?

Remove the bay leaves.

Puree with one of those handheld
things, or use the blender in small
batches

Once it's pureed, thaw the corn under
the hot water tap, drain and add to the
soup.

I'll save the organic carrots

Hahaha. When did you start stipulating which produce you consume is organic?

for another
recipe. They just didn't seem like they'd
go with the above.

Why not?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
usual suspect

peril wrote:
" In every respect, vegans appear to enjoy equal or better health
in comparison to both vegetarians and non-vegetarians." -- T.
Colin Campbell, PhD Professor of Nutrition, Cornell University
(letter dated 3/29/98)

Not in every respect. From a study of 11,000 vegetarians and other
health conscious people:

This study was initially set up to test the hypotheses that
daily consumption of wholemeal bread (as an indicator of a high
fibre diet) and vegetarian diet are associated with a reduction
in mortality from ischaemic heart disease; the reduction in
mortality associated with both of these dietary factors was *NOT
SIGNIFICANT*.

We found that a vegetarian diet was associated with a 15%
reduction in mortality from ischaemic heart disease. This was
*NOT SIGNIFICANT* and was LESS THAN the roughly 30% reductions
REPORTED IN EARLIER ANALYSES of this cohort.... A vegetarian
diet was also associated with a *SIGNIFICANT INCREASE* in
mortality from breast cancer. However, the confidence interval
was wide.... The numbers of deaths for individual cancer sites
were small and the mortality ratios have wide confidence
intervals. The 41% reduction in mortality from lung cancer
associated with daily consumption of fresh fruit was *NOT
SIGNIFICANT*....
http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

Additionally, the latest issue of JAMA reports the findings of a large
study concerning incidence of certain cancers and consumption of red and
processed meats. What's really interesting from the study but not
getting much attention is that consumption of fish and poultry was
linked to a significantly *decreased* rates of colorectal cancers. So
enough with your categorical claims, you foot-rubbing charlatan.