Vegan (alt.food.vegan) This newsgroup exists to share ideas and issues of concern among vegans. We are always happy to share our recipes- perhaps especially with omnivores who are simply curious- or even better, accomodating a vegan guest for a meal!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Jay Santos
 
Posts: n/a
Default The perfect foil (and her moral confusion)

Even if I were Plato, I couldn't have designed a more
excellent foil than "Scented Nectar" to illustrate the
ethical bankruptcy of "veganism", and the moral
confusion from which it originates.

Undeniably, she began by believing that merely by not
consuming animal parts, she was causing zero harm to
animals. This belief IS the classic "vegan" Denying
the Antecedent fallacy:

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.

I do not eat meat;

therefore, I do not cause animals to suffer and die.


How do we know she believed this? First, because all
she had done - in fact, STILL all she does - is to stop
consuming animal parts. Second, because she has
admitted to not knowing, until participating here,
about collateral animal deaths in agricultu

At first I didn't know about cds or what the
initials meant (collateral deaths).

"Scented Nectar" - 13 Dec 2004


She didn't *need* to say explicitly that she believed
in the fallacy; she has admitted it implicitly by what
else she has said. There was no manipulation or
"engineering" of the admission; she came right out with it.

Then she retreated to a far weaker position, and of
course could not explain how she got there in a way
consistent with her earlier belief. The weaker
fall-back position was that she is "doing the best
[she] can" at not causing animal death. This position
is untenable given her earlier demonstrated (and false)
belief that she had attained a ZERO animal death
"lifestyle" merely by not consuming animal parts. She
hasn't changed her actions a bit in making her
desperate retreat: she STILL is only refraining from
consuming animal parts.

Then she retreated a second time, after it was
demonstrated that she is NOT "doing the best she can".
Implicitly, she has acknowledged that she is NOT
doing the best she can, because she has not disputed
the contention that, were she to reduce her consumption
of some high-CD item and substitute an equivalent
amount of a lower-CD item in its place, she would be
doing better ("better" only according to her warped,
inchoate ethical values). Doing the "best" one can, in
something like animal CDs that implies a number,
involves counting, and she has never counted.

The exceedingly weak third position - TWO big retreats
- illustrates the absolute moral bankruptcy of
"veganism", because it makes the invidious comparison
with a demonized group of others the entirety of the
bogus endeavor. The comparison with others is all
that's left.

This comparison with others is especially loathsome,
because in addition to making one's ethicality
contingent on someone else's actions, it presents the
logical absurdity that the "vegan's" actual animal
death toll could INCREASE, but as long as it remains
below that of the demonized others, the "vegan" will
still conclude that she is being ethical!

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Reynard
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:49:26 GMT, Jay Santos wrote:

Even if I were Plato, I couldn't have designed a more
excellent foil than "Scented Nectar" to illustrate the
ethical bankruptcy of "veganism", and the moral
confusion from which it originates.

Undeniably, she began by believing that merely by not
consuming animal parts, she was causing zero harm to


.... farmed

animals. This belief IS the classic "vegan" Denying
the Antecedent fallacy:


No, it isn't. Rather, it's your straw man instead.

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.


This conditional proposition is false on the basis that an
improper relationship exists between the antecedent and
its consequent.

For your conditional (if, then) proposition to be true, a proper
relationship between the antecedent (if I eat meat) and its
consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die) must
exist. The rules are that, only a sufficient condition needs to
exist for the consequent to exist, but that a necessary condition
must exist for the antecedent to exist.

Your antecedent (If I eat meat) is a sufficient condition for
the consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die) to exist,
since I can cause animals to suffer and die in other ways apart
from just eating them, and thus far your conditional proposition
is fine. The consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die),
however, must be a necessary condition for the antecedent (If
I eat meat) to exist if your premise is to be found true, but this
is where your error lies because I can eat meat without causing
harm to animals by simply scavenging it from road kill or eating
a pet that died from old age. The proper relationship which is
vital to your conditional proposition doesn't exist, and that's why
it must be rejected.

Look at this true conditional (if, then) proposition below.

1) If the Queen resides at Buckingham Palace (antecedent),
then she lives in London (consequent)

As you can see, residing at Buckingham Palace need only
be a sufficient condition to be living in London, since she
might be residing anywhere in London and still be in London.
The sufficient condition is met. Also, the Queen does live in
London while resident at Buckingham Palace, which means
that the necessary condition is met. These rules are what
make and break any conditional proposition, so learn them.

Also, to prove that you know the premise is false, and that
you've built a straw man with this ready-made flaw into it,
here's your statement below where YOU finally admit it,
and thereafter try to assert that it's the vegan's premise
rather than your own.

It *is* a false premise, but it isn't *my* premise;
it's the premise of "vegans".
Jonathan Ball 16th June 2003

You lose. Throw again.

[..]
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Scented Nectar
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?

What has caused you to have such a
hate-on for vegans? I don't believe the
nonsense about wanting to educate or
saving us, by the way.


--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Scented Nectar
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?

What has caused you to have such a
hate-on for vegans? I don't believe the
nonsense about wanting to educate or
saving us, by the way.


--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Jay Santos
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Retard wrote:

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:49:26 GMT, Jay Santos wrote:


Even if I were Plato, I couldn't have designed a more
excellent foil than "Scented Nectar" to illustrate the
ethical bankruptcy of "veganism", and the moral
confusion from which it originates.

Undeniably, she began by believing that merely by not
consuming animal parts, she was causing zero harm to



... farmed


No. The classic "vegan" fallacy is that they cause
zero harm to ANY animals. They all begin by believing
this; the twit pothead is just the most recent to make
it publicly.



animals. This belief IS the classic "vegan" Denying
the Antecedent fallacy:

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.

I do not eat meat;

therefore, I do not cause animals to suffer and die.



No, it isn't.


Yes, it is.


If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.



This conditional proposition is


True, as "vegans" conceive of meat.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Dutch
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Scented Nectar" wrote

What has caused you to have such a
hate-on for vegans? I don't believe the
nonsense about wanting to educate or
saving us, by the way.


He doesn't want to save you or educate you, he just wants to shine a
spotlight on your ignorance.

"Saving" vegans (from themselves), that's my admittedly naive idea.



  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Dutch
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Scented Nectar" wrote

What has caused you to have such a
hate-on for vegans? I don't believe the
nonsense about wanting to educate or
saving us, by the way.


He doesn't want to save you or educate you, he just wants to shine a
spotlight on your ignorance.

"Saving" vegans (from themselves), that's my admittedly naive idea.



  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:01 PM
usual suspect
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Scented Nectar wrote:
Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?


You tried this stupid, amateurish line of questioning on me three weeks
ago. Why are you so lamely trying it again on someone else? Running out
of tricks so soon?
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Scented Nectar
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"usual suspect" wrote in message
...
Scented Nectar wrote:
Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?


You tried this stupid, amateurish line of questioning on me three

weeks
ago. Why are you so lamely trying it again on someone else? Running

out
of tricks so soon?


No tricks. I really do wonder what motivates you
trolls. It boggles the mind really, to see you hanging
out somewhere you hate and are hated.


--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/
A huge directory listing over 700 veg recipe sites.
Has a fun 'Jump to a Random Link' button.


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Reynard
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:58:50 GMT, Jay Santos wrote:
Reynard wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:49:26 GMT, Jay Santos wrote:

Even if I were Plato, I couldn't have designed a more
excellent foil than "Scented Nectar" to illustrate the
ethical bankruptcy of "veganism", and the moral
confusion from which it originates.

Undeniably, she began by believing that merely by not
consuming animal parts, she was causing zero harm to


... farmed


No.


Yes, farmed or hunted meat.

animals. This belief IS the classic "vegan" Denying
the Antecedent fallacy:

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.


This conditional proposition is false on the basis that an
improper relationship exists between the antecedent and
its consequent.

For your conditional (if, then) proposition to be true, a proper
relationship between the antecedent (if I eat meat) and its
consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die) must
exist. The rules are that, only a sufficient condition needs to
exist for the consequent to exist, but that a necessary condition
must exist for the antecedent to exist.

Your antecedent (If I eat meat) is a sufficient condition for
the consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die) to exist,
since I can cause animals to suffer and die in other ways apart
from just eating them, and thus far your conditional proposition
is fine. The consequent (then I cause animals to suffer and die),
however, must be a necessary condition for the antecedent (If
I eat meat) to exist if your premise is to be found true, but this
is where your error lies because I can eat meat without causing
harm to animals by simply scavenging it from road kill or eating
a pet that died from old age. The proper relationship which is
vital to your conditional proposition doesn't exist, and that's why
it must be rejected.

Look at this true conditional (if, then) proposition below.

1) If the Queen resides at Buckingham Palace (antecedent),
then she lives in London (consequent)

As you can see, residing at Buckingham Palace need only
be a sufficient condition to be living in London, since she
might be residing anywhere in London and still be in London.
The sufficient condition is met. Also, the Queen does live in
London while resident at Buckingham Palace, which means
that the necessary condition is met. These rules are what
make and break any conditional proposition, so learn them.

Also, to prove that you know the premise is false, and that
you've built a straw man with this ready-made flaw into it,
here's your statement below where YOU finally admit it,
and thereafter try to assert that it's the vegan's premise
rather than your own.

It *is* a false premise, but it isn't *my* premise;
it's the premise of "vegans".
Jonathan Ball 16th June 2003

You lose. Throw again.

[..]


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:24 PM
usual suspect
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Skanky Carpetmuncher wrote:
Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?


You tried this stupid, amateurish line of questioning on me three
weeks ago. Why are you so lamely trying it again on someone else? Running
out of tricks so soon?


No tricks. I really do wonder what motivates you
trolls.


No trolls here. You're still operating under your misunderstanding of
the word.

It boggles the mind really,


After reading your posts, it's clear that your mind is EASILY boggled.

to see you hanging
out somewhere you hate and are hated.


I neither hate nor feel hated.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Dutch
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Scented Nectar" wrote in message
...
"usual suspect" wrote in message
...
Scented Nectar wrote:
Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?


You tried this stupid, amateurish line of questioning on me three

weeks
ago. Why are you so lamely trying it again on someone else? Running

out
of tricks so soon?


No tricks. I really do wonder what motivates you
trolls. It boggles the mind really, to see you hanging
out somewhere you hate and are hated.


Vegans are an interesting bunch. It's kind of like going to a zoo and
watching the monkeys perform.


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Dutch
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Scented Nectar" wrote in message
...
"usual suspect" wrote in message
...
Scented Nectar wrote:
Jay (or whoever you are today), did some
evil vegan dump you in the past? Did one
of them pick on you in school? Were you
ever held captive by evil vegans and
forced to live on nothing but whole grain
bread and organic jam?


You tried this stupid, amateurish line of questioning on me three

weeks
ago. Why are you so lamely trying it again on someone else? Running

out
of tricks so soon?


No tricks. I really do wonder what motivates you
trolls. It boggles the mind really, to see you hanging
out somewhere you hate and are hated.


Vegans are an interesting bunch. It's kind of like going to a zoo and
watching the monkeys perform.


  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Dutch
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Reynard" wrote

animals. This belief IS the classic "vegan" Denying
the Antecedent fallacy:

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.


This conditional proposition is false on the basis that an
improper relationship exists between the antecedent and
its consequent.


Do you actually think there are people reading this naive enough to be
fooled by this clumsy sleight-of-hand pedantry?


  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Publius
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Dutch" wrote in :

No tricks. I really do wonder what motivates you
trolls. It boggles the mind really, to see you hanging
out somewhere you hate and are hated.


Vegans are an interesting bunch. It's kind of like going to a zoo and
watching the monkeys perform.


It might be helpful if some of SN's critics would advance some arguments
against her position, rather than merely slinging mud at her.

Are (at least some) non-human animals moral agents? Do they have any any
moral status at all? If "yes" to either, what duties do we (as moral
agents) have to them?



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moral considerability George Plimpton Vegan 18 03-05-2012 06:03 PM
vicarious moral responsibility George Plimpton Vegan 34 21-03-2012 10:34 PM
what is the moral? Aussie2[_2_] General Cooking 0 22-12-2010 12:01 AM
The perfect foil creates the perfect setup again! Jay Santos Vegan 860 27-01-2005 10:32 PM
moral absolutes Jay Santos Vegan 35 03-01-2005 02:47 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017