Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default Protein sources?

Hi,

I am currently an ovo-lactarian vegetarian. I have my good carbs, fruit
and vegetables under control. I eat what's available at other's places.

I only buy cage free eggs. Any advice on milk and cheese in regards to
treatment of sources?

Any advice on going fully vegan? Specifically protein sources. Only work
with fresh or microwave meals. Online purchasing sources? I've looked
for tofu and bean curds but can't find good online sources.

--
dale - http://www.dalekelly.org/
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/29/2018 4:33 PM, dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently an ovo-lactarian vegetarian. I have my good carbs, fruit
> and vegetables under control. I eat what's available at other's places.
>
> I only buy cage free eggs. Any advice on milk and cheese in regards to
> treatment of sources?
>
> Any advice on going fully vegan? Specifically protein sources. Only work
> with fresh or microwave meals. Online purchasing sources? I've looked
> for tofu and bean curds but can't find good online sources.

just found out that most chicken eggs aren't fertile

--
dale - http://www.dalekelly.org/
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
Member

Location: India
Default But it's important to eat the right amount and the right kind of protein to get its h

Seafood. Seafood is an excellent source of protein because it's usually low in fat. ...
White-Meat Poultry. ...
Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt. ...
Eggs. ...
Beans. ...
Pork Tenderloin. ...
Soy. ...
Lean Beef.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

On 4/6/2018 5:30 AM, hotshaperbelt wrote:
> Seafood. Seafood is an excellent source of protein because it's usually
> low in fat. ...
> White-Meat Poultry. ...
> Milk, Cheese, and Yogurt. ...
> Eggs. ...
> Beans. ...
> Pork Tenderloin. ...
> Soy. ...
> Lean Beef.

Thanks Much! But, avoiding meat.

--
dale - http://www.dalekelly.org/
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 30/03/2018 19:05, dale wrote:
> On 3/29/2018 4:33 PM, dale wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently an ovo-lactarian vegetarian. I have my good carbs,
>> fruit and vegetables under control. I eat what's available at other's
>> places.
>>
>> I only buy cage free eggs. Any advice on milk and cheese in regards to
>> treatment of sources?
>>
>> Any advice on going fully vegan? Specifically protein sources. Only
>> work with fresh or microwave meals. Online purchasing sources? I've
>> looked for tofu and bean curds but can't find good online sources.

Why would you want to go vegan?

> just found out that most chicken eggs aren't fertile

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

[...]

> Any advice on going fully vegan? Specifically protein sources. Only
> work with fresh or microwave meals. Online purchasing sources? I've
> looked for tofu and bean curds but can't find good online sources.

Speaking from personal experience, -- (pseudo)cereals. As a
rule of the thumb, things like buckwheat, (parboiled) rice,
barley and corn are about 13% protein by dry weight. So, a
healthy diet for an adult would have about 0.7 kg of said
cereals (dry weight, again) daily (alongside some vegetables, of
course.) That may seem like a whole lot, but is actually doable.

Note, however, that rice is extremely low on dietary fiber, which
may be good at times, but makes a mono diet based on it rather
unhealthy. (Unless some other source of dietary fiber is
introduced alongside.)

Peas, lentils, kidney beans and soybeans are roughly 25% to 30%
(dry weight!), respectively, so it'd be wise to put a healthy
amount of those into one's diet for at least the transitional
period.

Moreover, at least lentils and soybeans are rich in folate
(120% DRI per 100 g) and iron (50%), which means no risk of
iron-deficiency anemia. (And pretty much a must after a blood
loss, etc.) Note that one can still get B12-deficiency anemia,
though, unless some source for that is found (fortified foods
and monthly IM injections may be possible choices.) To the best
of my knowledge, there're no /natural/ plant sources of B12.

(B12 is produced by bacteria -- both naturally and industrially
-- so the vitamin itself is ought to be fully vegan.)

--
FSF associate member #7257 http://am-1.org/~ivan/