Beach Runner

Default Who eats corn? Mostly livestock

Just to correct some misconception.....

http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm

Livestock Uses of Corn

Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn
annually. Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents
57 percent of all of the corn grown in the United States.

In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken
or 28 pounds of catfish.

Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is
fed to animals around the world
rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
. ..
> Just to correct some misconception.....
>
> http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm
>
> Livestock Uses of Corn
>
> Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
> growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn annually.
> Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents 57 percent of
> all of the corn grown in the United States.
>
> In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
> Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
> Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
> As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
> production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
> America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
> pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken or
> 28 pounds of catfish.
>
> Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
> livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is fed
> to animals around the world

=====================
So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for your
simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically mean
fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.

Beach Runner

rick etter wrote:

> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Just to correct some misconception.....
>>
>>http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm
>>
>>Livestock Uses of Corn
>>
>>Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
>>growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn annually.
>>Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents 57 percent of
>>all of the corn grown in the United States.
>>
>>In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
>>Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
>>Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
>>As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
>>production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
>>America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
>>pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken or
>>28 pounds of catfish.
>>
>>Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
>>livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is fed
>>to animals around the world

> =====================
> So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
> remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
> produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
> would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
> way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
> grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for your
> simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically mean
> fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.

Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
.. .

> rick etter wrote:
>
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Just to correct some misconception.....
>>>
>>>http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm
>>>
>>>Livestock Uses of Corn
>>>
>>>Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
>>>growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn annually.
>>>Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents 57 percent
>>>of all of the corn grown in the United States.
>>>
>>>In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
>>>Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
>>>Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
>>>As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
>>>production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
>>>America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
>>>pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken
>>>or 28 pounds of catfish.
>>>
>>>Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
>>>livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is fed
>>>to animals around the world

>> =====================
>> So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
>> remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
>> produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
>> would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
>> way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
>> grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for
>> your simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically
>> mean fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.
>>

> Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

=====================
You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next time.
It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact in takes
*no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid to understand
that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your crop foods? Cows
can take that land, and the the natural growth and produce healthy, edible
foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical industry that you appear to
dearly love. Why is that? You a major stock-holder or something? You
can't be spewing this ignorance because of any so-called caring for animals,
as you prove with each inane post that animals really mean nothing to you.
Guess you just like all that blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh
killer?

rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
.. .

> rick etter wrote:
>
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Just to correct some misconception.....
>>>
>>>http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm
>>>
>>>Livestock Uses of Corn
>>>
>>>Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
>>>growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn annually.
>>>Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents 57 percent
>>>of all of the corn grown in the United States.
>>>
>>>In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
>>>Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
>>>Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
>>>As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
>>>production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
>>>America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
>>>pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken
>>>or 28 pounds of catfish.
>>>
>>>Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
>>>livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is fed
>>>to animals around the world

>> =====================
>> So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
>> remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
>> produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
>> would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
>> way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
>> grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for
>> your simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically
>> mean fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.
>>

> Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

=====================
You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next time.
It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact in takes
*no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid to understand
that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your crop foods? Cows
can take that land, and the the natural growth and produce healthy, edible
foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical industry that you appear to
dearly love. Why is that? You a major stock-holder or something? You
can't be spewing this ignorance because of any so-called caring for animals,
as you prove with each inane post that animals really mean nothing to you.
Guess you just like all that blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh
killer?

rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
.. .

> rick etter wrote:
>
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Just to correct some misconception.....
>>>
>>>http://www.pioneer.com/media/knowhow...stock_uses.htm
>>>
>>>Livestock Uses of Corn
>>>
>>>Collectively, beef, poultry, pork and dairy producers represent corn
>>>growers' No. 1 customer - consuming 5.6 billion bushels of corn annually.
>>>Corn used directly as feed for domestic livestock represents 57 percent
>>>of all of the corn grown in the United States.
>>>
>>>In 2003, beef cattle were fed more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn.
>>>Hogs consumed 1.1 billion bushels.
>>>Poultry another 1.3 billion bushels.
>>>As a primary livestock feed source, corn is a key link in the meat
>>>production chain. More than half of the U.S. corn crop puts meat on
>>>America's dinner table. A bushel of corn fed to livestock produces 5.6
>>>pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 19.6 pounds of chicken
>>>or 28 pounds of catfish.
>>>
>>>Furthermore, most corn sold to other countries also is used to feed
>>>livestock. In fact, 80 percent of corn raised in the United States is fed
>>>to animals around the world

>> =====================
>> So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
>> remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
>> produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
>> would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
>> way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
>> grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for
>> your simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically
>> mean fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.
>>

> Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

=====================
You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next time.
It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact in takes
*no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid to understand
that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your crop foods? Cows
can take that land, and the the natural growth and produce healthy, edible
foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical industry that you appear to
dearly love. Why is that? You a major stock-holder or something? You
can't be spewing this ignorance because of any so-called caring for animals,
as you prove with each inane post that animals really mean nothing to you.
Guess you just like all that blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh
killer?

Beach Runner

rick etter wrote:

> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> .. .
>

>>rick etter wrote:
>>

>>>"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
om...

>>>=====================
>>>So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
>>>remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
>>>produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
>>>would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
>>>way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
>>>grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for
>>>your simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically
>>>mean fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.
>>>

>>Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

> =====================
> You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next time.
> It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact in takes
> *no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid to understand
> that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your crop foods? Cows
> can take that land, and the the natural growth and produce healthy, edible
> foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical industry that you appear to
> dearly love. Why is that? You a major stock-holder or something? You
> can't be spewing this ignorance because of any so-called caring for animals,
> as you prove with each inane post that animals really mean nothing to you.
> Guess you just like all that blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh
> killer?

Very simply, if people simply ate the food that was produced and fed to
cows, there would be much more food and less resources required. Of
course we are part of the cycle of life. Rick just happens to be an
incredibly nasty part of it, which I will ignore from now on.

Most crops grown and exported in the US are used for the manufacture of
meat production. It's an inefficient use of land and resources.

Rick also ignores the health consequences of consumption of beef on
diseases of the arteries and cancer. That's his choice.

It's also his choice to enter a forum of where veg*ns discuss their life
style, and chooses to be an SOB. That serves some kind of need for him.
Sad.

I choose to eat healthy, be a better citizen of the world, work out, and
not make slanderous accusations.

Ignoring him, corn is the most heavily subsidized food in America, which
is why it is in almost everything. For example, corn syrup and corn
starch are in many products. This greatly contributes to the obesity and
health problems American's face. Originally corn producers were paid
not to grow corn to keep the price up. Now they get huge subsidizes
and grow corn, most of it now genetically altered.

It's a sad fact.

Beach Runner

rick etter wrote:

> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> .. .
>

>>rick etter wrote:
>>

>>>"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
om...

>>>=====================
>>>So what? There is still no need to feed any corn to cows. The fact
>>>remains that as a vegan yiou do *nothing* to change the way beef is
>>>produced. However, if you were truely concerned with meat production you
>>>would be part of the many that try to provide farmers with an alternative
>>>way to produce beef. Grass-fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, natually
>>>grazed. You won't, because instead, you follow your simple rule for
>>>your simple mind, 'eat no meat.' Being vegan does not automatically
>>>mean fewer animals die for your diet/lifestyle. killer.
>>>

>>Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

> =====================
> You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next time.
> It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact in takes
> *no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid to understand
> that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your crop foods? Cows
> can take that land, and the the natural growth and produce healthy, edible
> foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical industry that you appear to
> dearly love. Why is that? You a major stock-holder or something? You
> can't be spewing this ignorance because of any so-called caring for animals,
> as you prove with each inane post that animals really mean nothing to you.
> Guess you just like all that blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh
> killer?

Very simply, if people simply ate the food that was produced and fed to
cows, there would be much more food and less resources required. Of
course we are part of the cycle of life. Rick just happens to be an
incredibly nasty part of it, which I will ignore from now on.

Most crops grown and exported in the US are used for the manufacture of
meat production. It's an inefficient use of land and resources.

Rick also ignores the health consequences of consumption of beef on
diseases of the arteries and cancer. That's his choice.

It's also his choice to enter a forum of where veg*ns discuss their life
style, and chooses to be an SOB. That serves some kind of need for him.
Sad.

I choose to eat healthy, be a better citizen of the world, work out, and
not make slanderous accusations.

Ignoring him, corn is the most heavily subsidized food in America, which
is why it is in almost everything. For example, corn syrup and corn
starch are in many products. This greatly contributes to the obesity and
health problems American's face. Originally corn producers were paid
not to grow corn to keep the price up. Now they get huge subsidizes
and grow corn, most of it now genetically altered.

It's a sad fact.

John Coleman

Is grass fed beef ecological?

NO http://www.foodrevolution.org/askjohn/54.htm

John Coleman

see also http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

John Coleman

see also http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message

> rick etter wrote:
>
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> .. .

. com...

>>>Try this. It takes 7 times as much food to grow corn as to eat it.

>> =====================
>> You'd better get off the illegal drugs, fool. Try to make sense next
>> time. It takes *no* food out of your mouth to raise beef cows. In fact
>> in takes *no* food that you could even eat! Are you really too stupid
>> to understand that cattle can graze in areas where you cannot grow your
>> crop foods? Cows can take that land, and the the natural growth and
>> produce healthy, edible foods with *no* inputs from the petro-chemical
>> industry that you appear to dearly love. Why is that? You a major
>> stock-holder or something? You can't be spewing this ignorance because
>> of any so-called caring for animals, as you prove with each inane post
>> that animals really mean nothing to you. Guess you just like all that
>> blood on your hands for your entertainment, eh killer?
>>

> Very simply, if people simply ate the food that was produced and fed to
> cows, there would be much more food and less resources required.

=======================
Again fool. Try to read for some comprehension. There are *NO* crops
produced for the beef I eat. You delsuional ignorance to the contrary,
there is *NO* requirment to feed cows *any* crop food.

Of
> course we are part of the cycle of life. Rick just happens to be an
> incredibly nasty part of it, which I will ignore from now on.

===============
Of course you will because you have seen how ignorant and stupid your
position is and cannot defend it, or refute what I say. Typical vegan
religious intolerence.

> Most crops grown and exported in the US are used for the manufacture of
> meat production. It's an inefficient use of land and resources.

================
Which *you* are doing nothing to change. In fact, you support it with the
crop food you buy fool. The 'wastes' from the parts of plants you don't eat
are used in the production of the meat you claim to want to halt production
of.

> Rick also ignores the health consequences of consumption of beef on
> diseases of the arteries and cancer. That's his choice.

=================
There are vegan diets that can be just as bad, killer. Meat does not make a
diet bad, and studies have shown that some meat-included diets beat vegan
ones.

> It's also his choice to enter a forum of where veg*ns discuss their life
> style, and chooses to be an SOB. That serves some kind of need for him.
> Sad.

===============
Yes, you terminal, willful ignorance is sad indeed. What's even more sad is
all the unnecessary death and suffering of animals you cause because you
follow only a simple rule for your simple mind, 'eat no meat.'

> I choose to eat healthy, be a better citizen of the world, work out, and
> not make slanderous accusations.

====================
LOL You are doing nothing of the sort, kller. hat's the point. You
haven't even compared which veggies you eat agaisn't other vegggies to see
which of them cause more/less animal death and suffering. Like all usenet
vegans, you automatically believe that vegan means cruelty-free. It part of
the 'faith' of the vegan religion. Something you cannot prove.

> Ignoring him, corn is the most heavily subsidized food in America, which
> is why it is in almost everything. For example, corn syrup and corn starch
> are in many products. This greatly contributes to the obesity and health
> problems American's face. Originally corn producers were paid not to
> grow corn to keep the price up. Now they get huge subsidizes
> and grow corn, most of it now genetically altered.

=====================
Yes, and you *could* be part of the solution. Instead, you follow a simple
rule for your simple mind. Sad, truly sad.

> It's a sad fact.

=============
Yes, veganism is sad... that's why it's converts are so full of hate...

rick etter

"John Coleman" > wrote in message
> Is grass fed beef ecological?
>
> NO http://www.foodrevolution.org/askjohn/54.htm

================
ROTFLMAO But massive petro-chemical mono-culture crops are? What a hoot!

Here though, read and weep, from you own site, killer...

"...Grass-fed beef not only is lower in overall fat and in saturated fat,
but it has the added advantage of providing more omega-3 fats. These crucial
healthy fats are most plentiful in flaxseeds and fish, and are also found in
walnuts, soybeans and in meat from animals that have grazed on omega-3 rich
grass..."

"...In addition to being higher in healthy omega-3s, meat from pastured
cattle is also up to four times higher in vitamin E than meat from feedlot
cattle, and much higher in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a nutrient
associated with lower cancer risk. ..."

"...In addition to consuming less energy, grass-fed beef has another
environmental advantage - it is far less polluting. The animals' wastes drop
onto the land, becoming nutrients for the next cycle of crops..."

"...From a humanitarian perspective, there is yet another advantage to
pastured animal products. The animals themselves are not forced to live in
confinement..."

The only real problem I see is that he thinks that cattle are not now
pastured for most of their lives. All beef cows are pastured now. They
spend most of their lives grazing, and are sent to feedlots for only the
last few weeks. So, the "100 million" cows he talks about having to have on
pasture are already on pasture.

Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about the
whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true vegans
around to really make a difference. I'm only talking about what an
individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

John Coleman

"rick etter" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "John Coleman" > wrote in message
> > Is grass fed beef ecological?
> >
> > NO http://www.foodrevolution.org/askjohn/54.htm

> ================
> ROTFLMAO But massive petro-chemical mono-culture crops are? What a

hoot!

I didn't state that Rick, people can buy organic produce.

> Here though, read and weep, from you own site, killer...

Funny how you only post the info that makes it look good spin doctor, did
you know many parts of Africa are barron desert due to grazing cattle? Didi
you know that conservationsists don't like grass-fed beef? Here's the rest:

But I wouldn't get too carried away and think that as long as it's grass-fed
then it's fine and dandy. Grass-fed products are still high in saturated fat
(though not as high), still high in cholesterol, and are still devoid of
fiber and many other essential nutrients. They take less toll on the
environment, but the land on which the animals graze still must often be
irrigated, thus using up dwindling water resources, and it may be fertilized
with petroleum-based fertilizers.

And there are other environmental costs. Next to carbon dioxide, the most
destabilizing gas to the planet's climate is methane. Methane is actually 24
times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, and its
concentration in the atmosphere is rising even faster. The primary reason
that concentrations of atmospheric methane are now triple what they were
when they began rising a century ago is beef production. Cattle raised on
pasture actually produce more methane than feedlot animals, on a per-cow
basis.

Plus there is the tremendous toll grazing cattle takes on the land itself.
Even with U.S. beef cattle today spending the last half of their lives in
feedlots, seventy percent of the land area of the American West is currently
used for grazing livestock. More than two-thirds of the entire land area of
Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho is
used for rangeland. Just about the only land that isn't grazed is in places
that for one reason or another can't be used by livestock-inaccessible
areas, dense forests and brushlands, the driest deserts, sand dunes,
extremely rocky areas, cliffs and mountaintops, cities and towns, roads and
parking lots, airports, and golf courses. In the American West, virtually
every place that can be grazed, is grazed. The results aren't pretty. As one
environmental author put it, "Cattle grazing in the West has polluted more
water, eroded more topsoil, killed more fish, displaced more wildlife, and
destroyed more vegetation than any other land use."

Western rangelands have been devastated under the impact of the current
system, in which cattle typically spend only six months or so on the range,
and the rest of their lives in feedlots. To bring cows to market weight on
rangeland alone would require each animal to spend not six months foraging,
but several years, greatly multiplying the damage to western ecosystems.

The USDA's Animal Damage Control (ADC) program was established in 1931 for a
single purpose-to eradicate, suppress, and control wildlife considered to be
detrimental to the western livestock industry. The program has not been
popular with its opponents. They have called the ADC by a variety of names,
including, "All the Dead Critters" and "Aid to Dependent Cowboys."

In 1997, following the advice of public relations and image consultants, the
federal government gave a new name to the ADC-"Wildlife Services." And they
came up with a new motto-"Living with Wildlife."

This is an interesting choice of words. What "Wildlife Services" actually
does is kill any creature that might compete with or threaten livestock. Its
methods include poisoning, trapping, snaring, denning, shooting, and aerial
gunning. In "denning" wildlife, government agents pour kerosene into the den
and then set it on fire, burning the young alive in their nests.

Among the animals Wildlife Services agents intentionally kill are badgers,
black bears, bobcats, coyotes, gray fox, red fox, mountain lions, opossum,
raccoons, striped skunks, beavers, nutrias, porcupines, prairie dogs, black
birds, cattle egrets, and starlings. Animals unintentionally killed by
Wildlife Services agents include domestic dogs and cats, and several
threatened and endangered species.

All told, Wildlife Services, the federal agency whose motto is "Living with
Wildlife," intentionally kills more than 1.5 million wild animals annually.
This is done, of course, at public expense, to protect the private financial
interests of ranchers who wish to use public lands to graze their livestock.

The price that western lands and wildlife are paying for grazing cattle is
hard to exaggerate. Conscientious management of rangelands can certainly
reduce the damage, but widespread production of grass-fed beef would only
multiply this already devastating toll.
"Most of the public lands in the West, and especially the Southwest, are
what you might call 'cow burnt.' Almost anywhere and everywhere you go in
the American West you find hordes of cows. . . . They are a pest and a
plague. They pollute our springs and streams and rivers. They infest our
canyons, valleys, meadows and forests. They graze off the native bluestems
and grama and bunch grasses, leaving behind jungles of prickly pear. They
trample down the native forbs and shrubs and cacti. They spread the exotic
cheatgrass, the Russian thistle, and the crested wheat grass. Even when the
cattle are not physically present, you see the dung and the flies and the
mud and the dust and the general destruction. If you don't see it, you'll
smell it. The whole American West stinks of cattle." - Edward Abbey,
conservationist and author, in a speech before cattlemen at the University
of Montana in 1985
While grass-fed beef certainly has advantages over feedlot beef, another
answer is to eat less meat. If as a society we did this, then the vast
majority of the public lands in the western United States could be put to
more valuable - and environmentally sustainable - use. Much of the western
United States is sunny and windy, and could be used for large-scale solar
energy and wind-power facilities. With the cattle off the land, photovoltaic
modules and windmills could generate enormous amounts of energy without
polluting or causing environmental damage. Other areas could grow grasses
that could be harvested as "biomass" fuels, providing a far less polluting
source of energy than fossil fuels. Much of it could be restored, once again
becoming valued wildlife habitat. The restoration of cow burnt lands would
help to vitalize rural economies as well as ecosystems.

And there is one more thing. When you picture grass-fed beef, you probably
envision an idyllic scene of a cow outside in a pasture munching happily on
grass. That is certainly the image those endorsing and selling these
products would like you to hold. And there is some truth to it.

But it is only a part of the story. There is something missing from such a
pleasant picture, something that nevertheless remains an ineluctable part of
the actual reality. Grass-fed beef does not just come to you straight from
God's Green Earth. It also comes to you via the slaughterhouse.

The lives of grass-fed livestock are more humane and natural than the lives
of animals confined in factory farms and feedlots, but their deaths are
often just as terrifying and cruel. If they are taken to a conventional
slaughterhouse, they are just as likely as a feedlot animal to be skinned
while alive and fully conscious, and just as apt to be butchered and have
their feet cut off while they are still breathing - distressing realities
that tragically occur every hour in meat-packing plants nationwide.
Confronting the brutal realities of modern slaughterhouses can be a harsh
reminder that those who contemplate only the pastoral image of cattle
patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.

> Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about

the
> whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true

vegans
> around to really make a difference.

People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
compassion of meat eaters.

> I'm only talking about what an
> individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
> Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
> meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
> contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game is
still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

John

Beach Runner

Yes, the dust ball was caused by over grazing and poor crop management.
The Sahara Dessert was caused by over grazing.
Much of the Amazon Rain forest is chopped down to make grazing land for
cattle.

We could go on.

John Coleman wrote:

> [...]

> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.
>

>>Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about

> the
>
>>whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true

> vegans
>
>>around to really make a difference.

> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
> compassion of meat eaters.
>

>> I'm only talking about what an
>>individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
>>Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
>>meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
>>contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game is
> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

Beach Runner

John Coleman wrote:

> [...]

> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.
>

>>Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about

> the
>
>>whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true

> vegans
>
>>around to really make a difference.

> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
> compassion of meat eaters.
>

>> I'm only talking about what an
>>individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
>>Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
>>meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
>>contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game is
> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

rick etter

"John Coleman" > wrote in message

> "rick etter" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>>
>> "John Coleman" > wrote in message
>> > Is grass fed beef ecological?
>> >
>> > NO http://www.foodrevolution.org/askjohn/54.htm

>> ================
>> ROTFLMAO But massive petro-chemical mono-culture crops are? What a

> hoot!
>
> I didn't state that Rick, people can buy organic produce.

======================
And organic does not mean creulty-free or any more environmentally friendly,
killer. that's the myth. The production is the same, and some pesticides
used are just as tosic, or even more so that some sythetics.

>> Here though, read and weep, from you own site, killer...

> Funny how you only post the info that makes it look good spin doctor,

==================
LOL Why not fool, the whole exercise was about spin. that was the point.

> [...]
> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.
>
>> Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about

> the
>> whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true

> vegans
>> around to really make a difference.

> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
> compassion of meat eaters.
>
>> I'm only talking about what an
>> individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
>> Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
>> meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
>> contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game
> is
> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

You really are this stupid, aren't you?

Here are some sites, with info on specific areas and
pesticides. Animals die.
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/pesticideindex.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/fishkill.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/bird_fish_CA.html
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...00/nitrate.htm
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/P...carbofuran.htm
http://www.nwf.org/internationalwildlife/hawk.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn36/pn36p3.htm
http://www.wwfcanada.org/satellite/p...eFactSheet.pdf
http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07_Wildl...on/pg7f2b6.htm
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/news/food/vegan.html
http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.com.../leastharm.htm
http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html
http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/wildlife/small_grains_wildlife.html
http://www.gbr.wwf.org.au/content/problem/sugarcane.htm
http://www.wildlifetrustofindia.org/...ele_poison.htm
http://species.fws.gov/bio_rhin.html
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html
http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/news/food/vegan.html
http://www.hornedlizards.org/hornedlizards/help.html
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/b-5093.html
http://www.orst.edu/dept/ncs/newsarc...00/nitrate.htm
http://www.orst.edu/instruct/fw251/n...riculture.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn35/pn35p6.htm
http://www.greenenergyohio.org/defau...iew&pageID=135
http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html
http://www.epa.gov/airmarkets/capandtrade/power.pdf
http://www.nirs.org/licensedtokill/L...xecsummary.pdf
http://www.towerkill.com/index.html
http://migratorybirds.fws.gov/issues/towers/towers.htm
http://www.abcbirds.org/policy/towerkill.htm
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/es_ma...ticle_22.mhtml
http://www.netwalk.com/~vireo/devastatingtoll.html
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...7697992.htm?1c
http://www.energy.ca.gov/pier/energy...00-01-019.html
http://www.repp.org/repp_pubs/articl.../04impacts.htm
http://www.wvrivers.org/anker-upshur.htm
http://www.fisheries.org/html/Public...nts/ps_2.shtml
http://www.powerscorecard.org/issue_...cfm?issue_id=5
http://www.safesecurevital.org/artic...012012004.html

Since your non-animal clothing isn't cruelty-free either,
here's a couple to cover some problems with cotton.
http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html
http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/
http://www.gbr.wwf.org.au/content/problem/cotton.htm

To give you an idea of the sheer number of animals in a field,
here's some sites about *just* mice and voles. Note that there
can be 100s to 1000s in each acre, not the whole field.
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache...state.edu/pubs
/natres/06507.pdf+%22voles+per+acre%22+field&hl=en&ie=UTF8
http://extension.usu.edu/publica/natrpubs/voles.pdf
http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/district4/MG/voles.html
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html

To cover your selfish pleasure of using usenet, and
maintaining a web page on same, here's are a couple
dealing with power and communications.
http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html
http://www.towerkill.com/index.html

And, an extra, just because it's 'organic' doesn't make it safe.
Special potatoes and celery were bred to increase their resistance
pest, and create one where pesticides were not needed. The results
were good, as to not needing extra pesticides, however....

"...Breeding methods and other "substitutes" used as
alternatives to pesticide chemicals can expose consumers to
greater risks. This is a recognized problem particularly in
cases where farmers breed plants to become more
insect-resistant, a "natural" substitute to using synthetic
pesticides. In one particular case, breeders grew a special
type of highly insect-resistant celery to avoid using
pesticides. It wasn't until after the people handling the
celery developed a serious rash that it was discovered the
special celery contained 6,200 parts per billion of
carcinogenic psoralens, a natural chemical that heightens
sensitivity to the sun's rays; conventionally grown celery
protected with synthetic pesticides contains approximately
800 parts per billion. The same occurred when scientists
bred a "pest-free" potato. The breeders found that the
potato "was so full of natural pesticides that it was acutely
poisonous to humans." By using synthetic pesticides, therefore,
farmers and food producers often are indirectly protecting
consumers from potential risks from natural pesticides which
scientists have found can be carcinogenic..."
http://www.consumeralert.org/pubs/research/CRFeb00.htm

> John

rick etter

"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
news
> Yes, the dust ball was caused by over grazing and poor crop management.
> The Sahara Dessert was caused by over grazing.
> Much of the Amazon Rain forest is chopped down to make grazing land for
> cattle.

======================
Try again fool. Just because you repaet your stupidity doesn't make it any
less a ly, killer.

> We could go on.

================
Not with any facts you can't....

> [...]

>> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.
>>

>>>Again, his presentation is an all or nothing perspective, talking about

>> the
>>
>>>whole world. Typical vegan deversion, as there are not enough true

>> vegans
>>
>>>around to really make a difference.

>> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
>> compassion of meat eaters.
>>

>>> I'm only talking about what an
>>>individual *could* do right now to decrease their bloody footprints.
>>>Replacing 100s of 1000s of calories from the veggies you now eat with the
>>>meat from 1 grass-fed cow, or game animal would result in *your*
>>>contributing to the death and suffering of fewer animals.

>> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game
>> is
>> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

Ron

"rick etter" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> news

> > Yes, the dust ball was caused by over grazing and poor crop management.
> > The Sahara Dessert was caused by over grazing.
> > Much of the Amazon Rain forest is chopped down to make grazing land for
> > cattle.

> ======================

> Try again fool. Just because you repaet your stupidity doesn't make it any
> less a ly, killer.

"IT'S ALL LYS!!!!... AND YOU'RE ALL HATE-SPEWING KILLERS!!" squeals
etter in teeth gnashing, foaming-at-the-mouth frustration.

> [...]

> >> slaughterhouse, they are just as likely as a feedlot animal to be skinned
> >> while alive and fully conscious, and just as apt to be butchered and have
> >> their feet cut off while they are still breathing - distressing realities
> >> that tragically occur every hour in meat-packing plants nationwide.
> >> Confronting the brutal realities of modern slaughterhouses can be a harsh
> >> reminder that those who contemplate only the pastoral image of cattle
> >> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.

> >> the

> >> vegans

> >> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
> >> compassion of meat eaters.

> >> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game
> >> is
> >> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

Ron

> [...]

> >> slaughterhouse, they are just as likely as a feedlot animal to be skinned
> >> while alive and fully conscious, and just as apt to be butchered and have
> >> their feet cut off while they are still breathing - distressing realities
> >> that tragically occur every hour in meat-packing plants nationwide.
> >> Confronting the brutal realities of modern slaughterhouses can be a harsh
> >> reminder that those who contemplate only the pastoral image of cattle
> >> patiently foraging do not see the whole picture.

> >> the

> >> vegans

> >> People still have the option, don't blame us again for the lack of
> >> compassion of meat eaters.

> >> As usual, no figures and no expert opinion to back this claim. Much game
> >> is
> >> still reared by humans using products from monoculture.

rick etter

"Ron" > wrote in message
om...
> "rick etter" > wrote in message
> nk.net>...
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Yes, the dust ball was caused by over grazing and poor crop management.
>> > The Sahara Dessert was caused by over grazing.
>> > Much of the Amazon Rain forest is chopped down to make grazing land for
>> > cattle.

>> Try again fool. Just because you repaet your stupidity doesn't make it
>> any
>> less a ly, killer.
>>

> "IT'S ALL LYS!!!!... AND YOU'RE ALL HATE-SPEWING KILLERS!!" squeals
> etter in teeth gnashing, foaming-at-the-mouth frustration.

I see that all you have still is your hate and stupidity. Never can quite
discuss the issues, can you killer?