Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med,alt.philosophy,soc.culture.india,free.bharat

Default Advice from the world's oldest marathoner on eating well and living long

Advice from the world's oldest marathoner on eating well
and living long

Fauja Singh, 104, on greed, pinni and McDonald's
milkshakes.

Written by Murali K. Menon
The Indian Express
indianexpress.com
January 16, 2016

Mumbai - Fauja Singh believed to be the world's oldest
marathon runner after running the London Marathon. 101-
year-old Singh will take part in the Senior citizen 4.5
kilometer run in Mumbai Marathon on Sunday. (Photo: Kevin
D'Souza)

Fauja Singh's face is a filigree of wrinkles and his
unruly silver beard cascades down his neck, but he is
still sprightly and his eyes still twinkle. The world's
oldest marathoner is here for the 2016 Standard Chartered
Mumbai Marathon, which will be flagged off tomorrow
morning. Singh, who was born in Beas Pind, Jalandhar, in
1911 and stays with his son Sukhinder in Ilford, near
London, ran his first marathon at the age of 89. Since
then, he has run the London Marathon (7 hours and 49
minutes) and completed eight other runs, including the
Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

In 2004, he featured in an ad campaign for Adidas
alongside David Beckham. The advertisement featuring him
had the following tagline: 6:54 at age 89. 5:40 at age
92. The Kenyans better watch out for him when he hits
100. Singh retired from competitive running after
completing the Hong Kong Marathon's 10-km race. But he
still walks a fair distance daily, and still remains a
poster boy for amateur marathoners across the world. We
spoke to him and his biographer Khushwant Singh on the
sidelines of a press event in Mumbai on his diet and the
bearing it has had on his fitness and longevity.

* I have always been a frugal eater. I turned vegetarian
some 30 years ago, and I believe it has helped me in many
ways.

Continues at:

http://indianexpress.com/article/lif...d-living-long/

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi