Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

Default DOZENS OF WORLD CLASS ATHLETIC VEGANS SUPPORT ME IN EMAIL

On Oct 12, 6:10*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 7:48 AM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On Oct 12, 4:17 pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" > wrote:
> >> None of them, unfortunately, will actually admit to their existence on
> >> the usenet.

> >> --Tedward

> > It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
> > class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

> Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> athletes.
>
> Your claim is bullshit.

http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders

"Dave Scott (six-time winner
of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
holder for the 24-hour triathlon), Edwin Moses (400 meter hurdler
undefeated in international competition for eight straight years),
Paavo Nurmi (twenty world records and nine Olympic medals),
Andreas Cahling (1980 Mr. International title in body building), and
Ridgely Abele (U.S. Karate Association World Champion)." But
admittedly I'm not sure how many of these are vegan. They are
vegetarian.

You're just quibbling. You know that there have been plenty of world-
class vegan athletes. I've certainly named at least two.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:15*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 7:52 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Good one!

> > Seemed pretty lame to me.

> It was a good one. *You have a cardboard palate.

What's a cardboard palate?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:49*pm, Rupert > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 6:10*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

> > > It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
> > > class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

> > Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> > names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> > *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> > attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> > are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> > them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> > athletes.

> > Your claim is bullshit.

> http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders
>
> "Dave Scott (six-time winner
> of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
> holder for the 24-hour triathlon), Edwin Moses (400 meter hurdler
> undefeated in international competition for eight straight years),
> Paavo Nurmi (twenty world records and nine Olympic medals),
> Andreas Cahling (1980 Mr. International title in body building), and
> Ridgely Abele (U.S. Karate Association World Champion)." But
> admittedly I'm not sure how many of these are vegan. They are
> vegetarian.
>
> You're just quibbling. You know that there have been plenty of world-
> class vegan athletes. I've certainly named at least two.

http://www.adaptt.org/athletes.html
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

[Rupert, ]
[Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:46:19 -0700 (PDT)]

: Groundless accusations of lying are unethical.

....and easily dealt with, presumably. Why have you chosen otherwise?

--
Antonio Veranos

<insert witty comment here>
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:49*pm, Rupert > wrote:
> On Oct 12, 6:10*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

> > > It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
> > > class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

> > Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> > names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> > *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> > attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> > are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> > them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> > athletes.

> > Your claim is bullshit.

> http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders
>
> "Dave Scott (six-time winner
> of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
> holder for the 24-hour triathlon), Edwin Moses (400 meter hurdler
> undefeated in international competition for eight straight years),
> Paavo Nurmi (twenty world records and nine Olympic medals),
> Andreas Cahling (1980 Mr. International title in body building), and
> Ridgely Abele (U.S. Karate Association World Champion)." But
> admittedly I'm not sure how many of these are vegan. They are
> vegetarian.
>
> You're just quibbling. You know that there have been plenty of world-
> class vegan athletes. I've certainly named at least two.

The point of course is that Mr N. A. Cho's stereotype "They all look
pasty and malnourished" is bullshit. As you well know.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:56*pm, Antonio Veranos > wrote:
> [Rupert, ]
> [Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:46:19 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : Groundless accusations of lying are unethical.
>
> ...and easily dealt with, presumably. *Why have you chosen otherwise?

I have presented information about vegan athletes. It's very easy to
find.

Jonathan Ball, aka George Plimpton, is quibbling about how many of
them are world-class. At least two of them are. The point is that Mr N
A Cho's stereotype of vegans as "pasty and malnourished" is nonsense.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:10*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 7:48 AM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On Oct 12, 4:17 pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" > wrote:
> >> None of them, unfortunately, will actually admit to their existence on
> >> the usenet.

> >> --Tedward

> > It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
> > class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

> Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> athletes.
>
> Your claim is bullshit.

Brendan Brazier is another one. "During his six year career, Brazier
was regarded as one of the top endurance athletes in the world." He
was vegan during this time.

It's moving the goalposts to say "currently". My claim was not
specific to the present tense.

My claim was based on a memory of reading something about world-class
athletes, but I now realize that that was vegetarian, not vegan.
However I have found you three world-class vegan athletes. No doubt
more could be found. This is boring. Don't you have anything better to
do with your time?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 6:10*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 7:48 AM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On Oct 12, 4:17 pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" > wrote:
> >> None of them, unfortunately, will actually admit to their existence on
> >> the usenet.

> >> --Tedward

> > It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
> > class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

> Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> athletes.
>
> Your claim is bullshit.

And Scott Jurek.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 12, 7:11*pm, Antonio Veranos > wrote:
> [Rupert, ]
> [Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:01:00 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : > : Groundless accusations of lying are unethical.
> : >
> : > ...and easily dealt with, presumably. Why have you chosen otherwise?
> : >
> :
> : I have presented information about vegan athletes. It's very easy to
> : find.
> :
> : Jonathan Ball, aka George Plimpton, is quibbling about how many of
> : them are world-class. At least two of them are. The point is that Mr N
> : A Cho's stereotype of vegans as "pasty and malnourished" is nonsense.
>
> Two is not "many".

It's up to four now. It's harder than I thought to find athletes who
are both world-class and vegan. It's a lot easier if you relax it to
"vegetarian".

> In any case, veganism is well-understood by the medical profession to be
> an inherently unhealthy lifestyle, adherence to which is quite dangerous
> for many segments of the population. *This isn't even in question.

Actually, it's complete nonsense. The position of the American
Dietetic Association is that vegan diets are nutritionally adequate at
all stages of life and have many significant health benefits. Two
doctors have told me that it is good for my health that I am vegan.
There are many studies indicating that vegan diets can have
significant benefits for reducing the risk of heart disease and
cancer. There is no evidence at all that a vegan diet is inherently
unhealthy.

> How
> is veganism relevant to world-class athleticism, anyway? *Performance at
> peak levels requires peak nutrition, and it's well-known that a vegan
> lifestyle is detrimental to such achievement. *For those who are able to
> be vegan, overriding their essential nature for whatever reason, more
> power to them as far as I'm concerned... but let's don't pretend that
> such people are as healthy as they could be otherwise.

They are more healthy than they would be otherwise.

> --
> Antonio Veranos
>
> <insert witty comment here>

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/12/2012 9:49 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 12, 6:10 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> It would be very easy for you to verify the existence of many world-
>>> class vegan athletes if you wished to. Google is your friend.

>> Ha ha ha ha ha! It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
>> names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
>> *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". I *did*
>> attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
>> are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
>> them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
>> athletes.
>>
>> Your claim is bullshit.

> http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders
>
> "Dave Scott (six-time winner
> of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
> holder for the 24-hour triathlon),

These lists are just stupid. Why are "vegans" so ****ing insecure they
feel they need to put them together? Any why is the list of *real*
"world-class" athletes who are "vegan" so short, while the list of
****ing ****witted showbiz celebrity "vegans" so long?

Here's the basic truth - a truth with real meat in it: "vegans" very
rarely are people of substance. "veganism" is the victory of style over
substance, and that's always a bad thing - always.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 13, 5:47*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 9:49 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Ha ha ha ha ha! *It would be very easy for *you* simply to list the
> >> names of 50-100 of them, if there really were "quite a few" such who are
> >> *currently* "world-class" athletes who are also "vegan". *I *did*
> >> attempt to Google such a list, and as I already posted, a) most of them
> >> are not "vegan" but rather some degree of vegetarian, and b) most of
> >> them weren't even vegetarian during their years as active "world-class"
> >> athletes.

> >> Your claim is bullshit.

> >http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders

> > "Dave Scott (six-time winner
> > of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
> > holder for the 24-hour triathlon),

> These lists are just stupid. *Why are "vegans" so ****ing insecure they
> feel they need to put them together?

The point of the list is to demonstrate that it is perfectly possible
to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

>*Any why is the list of *real*
> "world-class" athletes who are "vegan" so short, while the list of
> ****ing ****witted showbiz celebrity "vegans" so long?
>
> Here's the basic truth - a truth with real meat in it: *"vegans" very
> rarely are people of substance.

You have no particular rational grounds for saying that.

Do you suppose that you are a person of substance?

> "veganism" is the victory of style over
> substance, and that's always a bad thing - always.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 13, 6:49*pm, Antonio Veranos > wrote:
> [Rupert, ]
> [Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:48:04 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : > Here's the basic truth - a truth with real meat in it: "vegans" very
> : > rarely are people of substance.
> :
> : You have no particular rational grounds for saying that.
> :
> : Do you suppose that you are a person of substance?
>
> Here's one: all vegans are hypocrites.

And why exactly do you think that?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

[Rupert, ]
[Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:23:39 -0700 (PDT)]

: > Here's one: all vegans are hypocrites.
: >
:
: And why exactly do you think that?

Plankton.

--
Antonio Veranos

<insert witty comment here>

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/13/2012 9:48 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 13, 5:47 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> http://kaleuniversity.org/3888-famou...n-bodybuilders

>>> "Dave Scott (six-time winner
>>> of Hawaii's Ironman Triathlon), Sixto Linares (world record
>>> holder for the 24-hour triathlon),

>> These lists are just stupid. Why are "vegans" so ****ing insecure they
>> feel they need to put them together?

> The point of the list is to demonstrate that it is perfectly possible
> to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

No, that's *not* the point of the list, and you ****ing well know it.
The point of the list is to try to attach some of the prestige of
"world-class" athletes to "veganism".

>> Any why is the list of *real*
>> "world-class" athletes who are "vegan" so short, while the list of
>> ****ing ****witted showbiz celebrity "vegans" so long?
>>
>> Here's the basic truth - a truth with real meat in it: "vegans" very
>> rarely are people of substance.

> You have no particular rational grounds for saying that.

I have every rational grounds for saying it. It's a fact.

>> "veganism" is the victory of style over
>> substance, and that's always a bad thing - always.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 14, 1:51*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/13/2012 9:48 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> These lists are just stupid. *Why are "vegans" so ****ing insecure they
> >> feel they need to put them together?

> > The point of the list is to demonstrate that it is perfectly possible
> > to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

> No, that's *not* the point of the list, and you ****ing well know it.
> The point of the list is to try to attach some of the prestige of
> "world-class" athletes to "veganism".

What an interesting opinion you have there.

> >> * Any why is the list of *real*
> >> "world-class" athletes who are "vegan" so short, while the list of
> >> ****ing ****witted showbiz celebrity "vegans" so long?

> >> Here's the basic truth - a truth with real meat in it: *"vegans" very
> >> rarely are people of substance.

> > You have no particular rational grounds for saying that.

> I have every rational grounds for saying it. *It's a fact.

What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/14/2012 1:45 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 14, 1:51 am, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> The point of the list is to demonstrate that it is perfectly possible
>>> to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

>> No, that's *not* the point of the list, and you ****ing well know it.
>> The point of the list is to try to attach some of the prestige of
>> "world-class" athletes to "veganism".
>>

> What an interesting opinion you have there.

It's a statement of fact. That's what *all* those lists are. "vegans"
are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
position. It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

>>> You have no particular rational grounds for saying that.

>> I have every rational grounds for saying it. It's a fact.
>>

> What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
have done nothing of substance. Also, my observation that these lists
of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
prominent medical doctors.

"veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. It's style, not substance.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 12:07*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/14/2012 1:45 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> No, that's *not* the point of the list, and you ****ing well know it.
> >> The point of the list is to try to attach some of the prestige of
> >> "world-class" athletes to "veganism".

> > What an interesting opinion you have there.

> It's a statement of fact. *That's what *all* those lists are. *"vegans"
> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
> position. *It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

> >> I have every rational grounds for saying it. *It's a fact.

> > What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
> have done nothing of substance. *Also, my observation that these lists
> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
> prominent medical doctors.
>
> "veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. *It's style, not substance.- Hide quoted text -

yes, veganism is a style accesorry to most people, like a nose
piercing or dying hair pink, or wearing a certain brand of clothing.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:07*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/14/2012 1:45 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> No, that's *not* the point of the list, and you ****ing well know it.
> >> The point of the list is to try to attach some of the prestige of
> >> "world-class" athletes to "veganism".

> > What an interesting opinion you have there.

> It's a statement of fact. *That's what *all* those lists are. *"vegans"
> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
> position. *It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

As I correctly pointed out, the purpose of the list is to show that it
is possible to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet. Quite obviously.

> >> I have every rational grounds for saying it. *It's a fact.

> > What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
> have done nothing of substance.

You include Peter Singer and Tom Regan in that category?

> *Also, my observation that these lists
> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
> prominent medical doctors.

To know how well-represented such people are among vegans, you would
have to do some empirical homework, not just casual observation of
lists of famous vegans. I'm an example of a vegan who is quite a good
mathematician.

> "veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. *It's style, not substance.

You don't have anything on which to base that.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:11 AM, Mr. N.A.Cho wrote:
> On Oct 15, 12:07 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> What an interesting opinion you have there.

>> It's a statement of fact. That's what *all* those lists are. "vegans"
>> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
>> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
>> position. It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

>>> What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

>> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
>> have done nothing of substance. Also, my observation that these lists
>> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
>> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
>> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
>> prominent medical doctors.
>>
>> "veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. It's style, not substance.- Hide quoted text -

> yes, veganism is a style accesorry to most people, like a nose
> piercing or dying hair pink, or wearing a certain brand of clothing.

Exactly right.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:11*pm, "Mr. N.A.Cho" > wrote:
> On Oct 15, 12:07*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

> > > What an interesting opinion you have there.

> > It's a statement of fact. *That's what *all* those lists are. *"vegans"
> > are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
> > are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
> > position. *It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

> > > What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

> > My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
> > have done nothing of substance. *Also, my observation that these lists
> > of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
> > obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
> > a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
> > prominent medical doctors.

> > "veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. *It's style, not substance.- Hide quoted text -

> yes, veganism is a style accesorry to most people, like a nose
> piercing or dying hair pink, or wearing a certain brand of clothing.

That's an absurd statement.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:13 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:07 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> What an interesting opinion you have there.

>> It's a statement of fact. That's what *all* those lists are. "vegans"
>> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
>> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
>> position. It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.
>>

> As I correctly pointed out, the purpose of the list is to show that it
> is possible to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

No, it's not.

>>> What, precisely, would those rational grounds be?

>> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
>> have done nothing of substance.

> You include Peter Singer and Tom Regan in that category?

By *all* means. Those two sophists by *definition* have done nothing of
substance. Sophistry is the epitome of elevating style over substance.

>> Also, my observation that these lists
>> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
>> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
>> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
>> prominent medical doctors.
>>

> To know how well-represented such people are among vegans, you would
> have to do some empirical homework, not just casual observation of
> lists of famous vegans. I'm an example of a vegan who is quite a good
> mathematician.

Accomplished mathematicians are a considerably smaller percentage of all
"vegans" than their percentage in the general population.

Mathematics is substantive, while "veganism" is nothing but style, so
one would expect little overlap.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:33*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 9:13 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It's a statement of fact. *That's what *all* those lists are. *"vegans"
> >> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
> >> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
> >> position. *It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

> > As I correctly pointed out, the purpose of the list is to show that it
> > is possible to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

> No, it's not.

Seems like the obvious truth to me; I don't really know what grounds
you think you have for disagreeing.

> >> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
> >> have done nothing of substance.

> > You include Peter Singer and Tom Regan in that category?

> By *all* means. *Those two sophists by *definition* have done nothing of
> substance. *Sophistry is the epitome of elevating style over substance.

It is not true that by definition they have done nothing of substance.
You might claim that you have examined their achievements and found
that they have done nothing of substance. But that's definitely not
true in the case of Peter Singer, as it happens, and no serious person
would really make that claim. Not really true in the case of Tom
Regan, either.

> >> * Also, my observation that these lists
> >> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
> >> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
> >> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
> >> prominent medical doctors.

> > To know how well-represented such people are among vegans, you would
> > have to do some empirical homework, not just casual observation of
> > lists of famous vegans. I'm an example of a vegan who is quite a good
> > mathematician.

> Accomplished mathematicians are a considerably smaller percentage of all
> "vegans" than their percentage in the general population.

You have absolutely no foundation for that claim. That would require
empirical investigation to back it up, and you haven't done any. You
have absolutely know way of knowing whether it's true or not, you are
just talking through your hat, as is quite common for you.

> Mathematics is substantive, while "veganism" is nothing but style, so
> one would expect little overlap.

You're a fool.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:15 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:11 pm, "Mr. N.A.Cho" > wrote:

>>> It's a statement of fact. That's what *all* those lists are. "vegans"
>>> are very acutely aware of their lunatic-fringe status, and these lists
>>> are a desperate, plaintive effort to try to attach prestige to their
>>> position. It's a form of appeal to authority - a logical fallacy.

>>> My observation that publicly visible "vegans" usually are people who
>>> have done nothing of substance. Also, my observation that these lists
>>> of "famous 'vegans'" *ALWAYS* are disproportionately populated by
>>> obviously flaky people in show business and pop culture, while there is
>>> a huge and glaring lack of engineers, scientists and, especially,
>>> prominent medical doctors.

>>> "veganism" simply is not a serious proposition. It's style, not substance.- Hide quoted text -

>> yes, veganism is a style accesorry to most people, like a nose
>> piercing or dying hair pink, or wearing a certain brand of clothing.

> That's an absurd statement.

It isn't. It's exactly right.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:40*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:39 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:33 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> As I correctly pointed out, the purpose of the list is to show that it
>>> is possible to get peak nutrition on a vegan diet.

>> No, it's not.
>>

> Seems like the obvious truth to me; I don't really know what grounds
> you think you have for disagreeing.

What's obvious - excruciatingly so - is that it is a plaintive,
desperate attempt at attaching prestige to the goofy "lifestyle" choice.

>>> You include Peter Singer and Tom Regan in that category?

>> By *all* means. Those two sophists by *definition* have done nothing of
>> substance. Sophistry is the epitome of elevating style over substance.
>>

> It is not true that by definition they have done nothing of substance.

Their careers have been dedicated to sophistry. That's insubstantial.

>>> To know how well-represented such people are among vegans, you would
>>> have to do some empirical homework, not just casual observation of
>>> lists of famous vegans. I'm an example of a vegan who is quite a good
>>> mathematician.

>> Accomplished mathematicians are a considerably smaller percentage of all
>> "vegans" than their percentage in the general population.
>>

> You have absolutely no foundation for that claim.

Of course I have.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:42 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:40 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> That's an absurd statement.

>> It isn't. It's exactly right.

> It's an absurd statement grounded in ignorance.

No, it isn't. It's an insightful statement grounded in logic and
observation.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:44*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 9:42 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It isn't. *It's exactly right.

> > It's an absurd statement grounded in ignorance.

> No, it isn't. *It's an insightful statement grounded in logic and
> observation.

That's very amusing.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 6:43*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 9:39 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> No, it's not.

> > Seems like the obvious truth to me; I don't really know what grounds
> > you think you have for disagreeing.

> What's obvious - excruciatingly so - is that it is a plaintive,
> desperate attempt at attaching prestige to the goofy "lifestyle" choice.

Well, you seem to find it obvious. How would you go about convincing
me that you are correct?

> >> By *all* means. *Those two sophists by *definition* have done nothing of
> >> substance. *Sophistry is the epitome of elevating style over substance.

> > It is not true that by definition they have done nothing of substance.

> Their careers have been dedicated to sophistry. *That's insubstantial.

You've made no serious study of their work so you wouldn't know.
Particularly in the case of Peter Singer. No serious person could
claim that Peter Singer's career has been "insubstantial", regardless
of whether or not they agree with the various things he has to say.
That's just absurd.

> >> Accomplished mathematicians are a considerably smaller percentage of all
> >> "vegans" than their percentage in the general population.

> > You have absolutely no foundation for that claim.

> Of course I have.

And what would that be?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

"Mr. N.A.Cho" > wrote

<
<yes, veganism is a style accesorry to most people, like a nose
<piercing or dying hair pink, or wearing a certain brand of clothing.

You means those Goths don't really believe in vampires?!

--Tedward

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:46 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:44 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> It's an absurd statement grounded in ignorance.

>> No, it isn't. It's an insightful statement grounded in logic and
>> observation.

> That's very amusing.

Not really; your reply was very pointless.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 9:48 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 6:43 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> Seems like the obvious truth to me; I don't really know what grounds
>>> you think you have for disagreeing.

>> What's obvious - excruciatingly so - is that it is a plaintive,
>> desperate attempt at attaching prestige to the goofy "lifestyle" choice.
>>

> Well, you seem to find it obvious. How would you go about convincing
> me that you are correct?

The very clear and obvious connection to all the other lists of "famous
'vegans'" that are disproportionately populated by Hollywood starlets
and other pop culture buffoons.

>>> It is not true that by definition they have done nothing of substance.

>> Their careers have been dedicated to sophistry. That's insubstantial.
>>

> You've made no serious study of their work so you wouldn't know.

I know that they are most renowned for their efforts in support of "ar"
and/or "al". Those are, of course, pure sophistry.

>>> You have absolutely no foundation for that claim.

>> Of course I have.

> And what would that be?

The fact that not one has ever been identified on a list of "famous
'vegans'".

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 8:23*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 9:46 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> No, it isn't. *It's an insightful statement grounded in logic and
> >> observation.

> > That's very amusing.

> Not really; your reply was very pointless.

Well, it was definitely amusing to me, and my reply was no more
pointless than your reply, or any other part of this conversation.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 8:26*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 9:48 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> What's obvious - excruciatingly so - is that it is a plaintive,
> >> desperate attempt at attaching prestige to the goofy "lifestyle" choice.

> > Well, you seem to find it obvious. How would you go about convincing
> > me that you are correct?

> The very clear and obvious connection to all the other lists of "famous
> 'vegans'" that are disproportionately populated by Hollywood starlets
> and other pop culture buffoons.

Don't see any obvious connection, myself.

> >> Their careers have been dedicated to sophistry. *That's insubstantial.

> > You've made no serious study of their work so you wouldn't know.

> I know that they are most renowned for their efforts in support of "ar"
> and/or "al". *Those are, of course, pure sophistry.

You have no particular grounds for that statement, and in any case
there's much more to Peter Singer's career than that.

> >> Of course I have.

> > And what would that be?

> The fact that not one has ever been identified on a list of "famous
> 'vegans'".

That's not an especially strong ground for the claim you made.
Accomplished mathematicians are a small percentage of the population.
If they were represented among vegans to a similar extent to the
extent to which they are represented in the entire population, the
number of accomplished mathematicians who are vegan would not be
especially large and there would be no particular reason to think that
one of them would have become famous outside academia. I know of three
vegan mathematicians including myself.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On 10/15/2012 11:46 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 15, 8:23 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>>> That's very amusing.

>> Not really; your reply was very pointless.

> Well, it was definitely amusing to me,

Because you're off your meds again.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

Default VEGANS SUPPORT ME IN EMAIL - ZOMBIE REALISM IN FILMS AND DOCUMENTARIES

On Oct 15, 2:50*pm, Rupert > wrote:
> On Oct 15, 8:26*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

> > > Well, you seem to find it obvious. How would you go about convincing
> > > me that you are correct?

> > The very clear and obvious connection to all the other lists of "famous
> > 'vegans'" that are disproportionately populated by Hollywood starlets
> > and other pop culture buffoons.

> Don't see any obvious connection, myself.

> > > You've made no serious study of their work so you wouldn't know.

> > I know that they are most renowned for their efforts in support of "ar"
> > and/or "al". *Those are, of course, pure sophistry.

> You have no particular grounds for that statement, and in any case
> there's much more to Peter Singer's career than that.

> > > And what would that be?

> > The fact that not one has ever been identified on a list of "famous
> > 'vegans'".

> That's not an especially strong ground for the claim you made.
> Accomplished mathematicians are a small percentage of the population.
> If they were represented among vegans to a similar extent to the
> extent to which they are represented in the entire population, the
> number of accomplished mathematicians who are vegan would not be
> especially large and there would be no particular reason to think that
> one of them would have become famous outside academia. I know of three
> vegan mathematicians including myself.- Hide quoted text -

there's been a lot of talk about how the popular television series
Walking Dead is not realistic in its treatment of zombies. This
leads to a key zombie-vegan question. There's been conversations
about cradle-to-grave vegans. If a cradle-to-grave vegan is turned
into a zombie via an unfortunate chain of events,is it more realistic
to think the zombie-vegan would have a taste for meat, or that they'd
retain thier taste for vegan food.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 9:00*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 11:46 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Not really; your reply was very pointless.

> > Well, it was definitely amusing to me,

> Because you're off your meds again.

Do you seriously believe that, or are you just saying it because you
get gratification from saying it?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.sport.football.college,alt.food.vegan,rec.food.cooking,alt.gothic

On Oct 15, 9:02*pm, "Mr. N.A.Cho" > wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2:50*pm, Rupert > wrote:

> > > The very clear and obvious connection to all the other lists of "famous
> > > 'vegans'" that are disproportionately populated by Hollywood starlets
> > > and other pop culture buffoons.

> > Don't see any obvious connection, myself.

> > > I know that they are most renowned for their efforts in support of "ar"
> > > and/or "al". *Those are, of course, pure sophistry.

> > You have no particular grounds for that statement, and in any case
> > there's much more to Peter Singer's career than that.

> > > The fact that not one has ever been identified on a list of "famous
> > > 'vegans'".

> > That's not an especially strong ground for the claim you made.
> > Accomplished mathematicians are a small percentage of the population.
> > If they were represented among vegans to a similar extent to the
> > extent to which they are represented in the entire population, the
> > number of accomplished mathematicians who are vegan would not be
> > especially large and there would be no particular reason to think that
> > one of them would have become famous outside academia. I know of three
> > vegan mathematicians including myself.- Hide quoted text -

> there's been a lot of talk about how the popular television series
> Walking Dead is not realistic in its treatment of zombies. * *This
> leads to a key zombie-vegan question. * *There's been conversations
> about cradle-to-grave vegans. *If a cradle-to-grave vegan is turned
> into a zombie via an unfortunate chain of events,is it more realistic
> to think the zombie-vegan would have a taste for meat, or that they'd
> retain thier taste for vegan food.

I regret that based on my limited knowledge about zombies I am not in
a position to answer that question.