Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "vegan" arrogance and egotism

On 3/24/2012 6:04 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 24, 8:18 pm, George > wrote:

>>> And you believe that doing it makes you better.

>> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
>> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

> Do you believe that it is better to cause less suffering?

Yes, but there's no reason to think being "vegan" necessarily does that.
For some people, that move might increase animal suffering.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/24/2012 6:07 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 24, 8:18 pm, George > wrote:

>>> Do you seriously think that it is rational to believe that the amount
>>> of suffering required to produce my food migth be more than the amount
>>> of suffering required to produce your food?

>> That's the wrong question.

> It would be great if you could answer it, nevertheless.

Of course it's rational to believe that the amount of suffering cause by
- *not* "required" by - your diet might exceed that caused by mine. You
don't know what I eat, apart from some meat, and you don't know how much
meat I eat or the provenance of it. Simply *not* eating meat doesn't
say anything about the amount of suffering you cause relative to what I
cause.

>> The proper question is, why would you
>> *possibly* think that not putting animal parts in your mouth means you
>> are doing all you need to do to eliminate or reduce animal suffering?
>>

> That's changing the topic. Your original claim was that I might be
> causing more animal suffering than anyone.

And you might well be.

> You evidently think that you are doing all you need to do by doing
> nothing at all, so I don't see how you can object if I claim that I am
> doing all that I need to do.

I'm not the one claiming there is a moral imperative not to harm
animals, and I'm not the one making some ****witted claim about the
level of harm caused by my diet.

You're going around in circles, as usual. You want to claim you're
making a significant reduction in harm merely by *not* consuming meat,
and you also want to pretend you're doing as much as you reasonably can
be expected to do, and neither is true. It's all about your ego and vanity.

>> You *know* that moving from a meat-including diet to one that excludes
>> meat *could* mean that you cause more suffering than anyone.

> No. I don't know that.

Yes, you do know it. You know that it *could* mean that.

>> You just
>> can't conclude anything with certainty about the how much you contribute
>> to animal suffering.

> I can make some conclusions,

You cannot make any reasonable conclusion. The fact you stick with this
utterly illogical and unfounded position proves your irrationality and
bad faith.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 25, 3:32*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 6:04 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
> >> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

> > Do you believe that it is better to cause less suffering?

> Yes, but there's no reason to think being "vegan" necessarily does that.
> * For some people, that move might increase animal suffering.

I have explained why I think it is reasonable to believe that that
would generally not be the case.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 25, 3:37*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 6:07 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> That's the wrong question.

> > It would be great if you could answer it, nevertheless.

> Of course it's rational to believe that the amount of suffering cause by
> - *not* "required" by - your diet might exceed that caused by mine. *You
> don't know what I eat, apart from some meat, and you don't know how much
> meat I eat or the provenance of it. *Simply *not* eating meat doesn't
> say anything about the amount of suffering you cause relative to what I
> cause.

I don't think it's rational to believe that at all, and I've explained
why quite a few times in the past.

> >> The proper question is, why would you
> >> *possibly* think that not putting animal parts in your mouth means you
> >> are doing all you need to do to eliminate or reduce animal suffering?

> > That's changing the topic. Your original claim was that I might be
> > causing more animal suffering than anyone.

> And you might well be.
>

> > You evidently think that you are doing all you need to do by doing
> > nothing at all, so I don't see how you can object if I claim that I am
> > doing all that I need to do.

> I'm not the one claiming there is a moral imperative not to harm
> animals, and I'm not the one making some ****witted claim about the
> level of harm caused by my diet.
>
> You're going around in circles, as usual. *You want to claim you're
> making a significant reduction in harm merely by *not* consuming meat,
> and you also want to pretend you're doing as much as you reasonably can
> be expected to do, and neither is true. *It's all about your ego and vanity.

You say that neither is true, but your view strikes me as irrational.

> >> You *know* that moving from a meat-including diet to one that excludes
> >> meat *could* mean that you cause more suffering than anyone.

> > No. I don't know that.

> Yes, you do know it. *You know that it *could* mean that.
>
> >> You just
> >> can't conclude anything with certainty about the how much you contribute
> >> to animal suffering.

> > I can make some conclusions,

> You cannot make any reasonable conclusion. *The fact you stick with this
> utterly illogical and unfounded position proves your irrationality and
> bad faith.

I do not agree.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 23/03/2012 17:44, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:56:09 -0700, George > wrote:

>>> The
>>> belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
>>> merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth has been
>>> demonstrated to be illogical and false.

>> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
>> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
>> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

*BUSTED*

> I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
> does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
> consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
> form of pollution,

It is. You know it is. Dumping garbage is pollution.

>then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
> pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
> pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
> creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
> by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
> than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
> stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
> don't know.

Vegans intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth. But they're not entitled to believe they're
better, according to your rules. You intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful
reduction in pollution merely by *not* putting garbage in one's garbage bin. But you're fully
entitled to believe you're better, according to the different rules you follow. It obvious that you
have one rule for vegans while following a different rule. You measure your virtue by comparing your
garbage bin to other's garbage bins, but you don't allow vegans to measure their virtue by comparing
their shopping cart to other's shopping carts. St. Derek reveals your double standard here and
proves that is you who is arrogant and egotistical, not the vegans you're too keen to malign.

>> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
>> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
>> think you're better than them because you recycle?

> In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
> out of landfills.

Better than who, the unethical scumbags who don't recycle? So that's your game is it? You *DO* think
you're more virtuous, *better* than others by comparing your efforts to reduce something you believe
is bad to the efforts, or lack of, of others. You're a hypocrite. An arrogant and egotistical
hypocrite. Start believing in your own bullshit before telling others to live by it.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 23/03/2012 17:20, Derek wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:56:09 -0700, George > wrote:

>> The
>> belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal suffering
>> merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth has been
>> demonstrated to be illogical and false.

> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."
>
> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
> think you're better than them because you recycle?

He *does* think he's better. Read his post. He thinks he's better than others who don't recycle. He
measures his virtue by comparing his garbage bin to others' garbage bins. He looks down from his
moral pedestal at others who don't recycle and thinks he's better than they are because he's
reducing something he believes is bad that others don't.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 24/03/2012 18:18, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 6:24 AM, Rupert wrote:

>>> I do think it's good to do. I don't think it's a moral obligation.

>> And you believe that doing it makes you better.

> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

And better than others who don't. You believe something is bad and so you try to reduce your
contribution to that bad thing. Vegans believe something is bad and so they try to reduce their
contribution to that bad thing. You believe you're better than those who don't try to reduce their
contribution to your bad thing and so you automatically think vegans believe they're better than
those who don't try to reduce their contribution to their bad thing. You measure your virtue by
comparing yourself to others and so you think vegans measure their virtue by comparing themselves to
others as well. You're projecting your own faults onto vegans and trying to malign them for
something only you do. *LOL*
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 24, 9:08*pm, Glen > wrote:

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/24/2012 6:55 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 25, 3:32 am, George > wrote:

>>> Do you believe that it is better to cause less suffering?

>> Yes, but there's no reason to think being "vegan" necessarily does that.
>> For some people, that move might increase animal suffering.

> I have explained why I think it is reasonable to believe that that
> would generally not be the case.

It was bullshit - self-serving bullshit.

The fact is, you *do* know that it could be the case, and there is
*nothing* intrinsic to refraining from putting animal parts in your
mouth that rules it out - but still, that's all you do.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/24/2012 7:00 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 25, 3:37 am, George > wrote:

>>> It would be great if you could answer it, nevertheless.

>> Of course it's rational to believe that the amount of suffering caused by
>> - *not* "required" by - your diet might exceed that caused by mine. You
>> don't know what I eat, apart from some meat, and you don't know how much
>> meat I eat or the provenance of it. Simply *not* eating meat doesn't
>> say anything about the amount of suffering you cause relative to what I
>> cause.
>>

> I don't think it's rational to believe that at all,

It is absolutely rational to believe that it could be the case.

>>> That's changing the topic. Your original claim was that I might be
>>> causing more animal suffering than anyone.

>> And you might well be.
>>

>>> You evidently think that you are doing all you need to do by doing
>>> nothing at all, so I don't see how you can object if I claim that I am
>>> doing all that I need to do.

>> I'm not the one claiming there is a moral imperative not to harm
>> animals, and I'm not the one making some ****witted claim about the
>> level of harm caused by my diet.
>>
>> You're going around in circles, as usual. You want to claim you're
>> making a significant reduction in harm merely by *not* consuming meat,
>> and you also want to pretend you're doing as much as you reasonably can
>> be expected to do, and neither is true. It's all about your ego and vanity.
>>

> You say that neither is true,

Neither is true. Your conclusion is unwarranted.

>>> No. I don't know that.

>> Yes, you do know it. You know that it *could* mean that.

>>> I can make some conclusions,

>> You cannot make any reasonable conclusion. The fact you stick with this
>> utterly illogical and unfounded position proves your irrationality and
>> bad faith.

> I do not agree.

Pure irrational obstinacy.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/24/2012 7:27 PM, Glen wrote:
> On 23/03/2012 17:44, George Plimpton wrote:
>> On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:

>>> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
>>> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
>>> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

> *BUSTED*
>
>> I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
>> does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
>> consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
>> form of pollution,

> It is.

It could be, greggeorge.

>> then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
>> pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
>> pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
>> creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
>> by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
>> than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
>> stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
>> don't know.

> Vegans intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful
> reduction in animal suffering merely by *not* putting animal parts in
> one's mouth.

They're wrong, greggeorge.

>>> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
>>> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
>>> think you're better than them because you recycle?

>> In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
>> out of landfills.

> Better than who, the unethical scumbags who don't recycle?

Better than I would be if I didn't recycle, nutless.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/24/2012 8:08 PM, Glen wrote:
> On 24/03/2012 18:18, George Plimpton wrote:

>>> And you believe that doing it makes you better.

>> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
>> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

> And better than others who don't.

Quite likely, greggeorge.

> You believe something is bad and so
> you try to reduce your contribution to that bad thing.

My action unequivocally is a reduction.

> Vegans believe
> something is bad and so they try to reduce their contribution to that
> bad thing.

Their action does not necessarily achieve a reduction.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 23/03/2012 17:44, George Plimpton wrote:
>> On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:

>>> Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
>>> reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
>>> [garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

> *BUSTED*
>
>> I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
>> does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
>> consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
>> form of pollution,

> It is. You know it is. Dumping garbage is pollution.
>
>>then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
>> pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
>> pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
>> creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
>> by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
>> than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
>> stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
>> don't know.

> Vegans intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful
> reduction in animal suffering merely by *not* putting animal parts in
> one's mouth. But they're not entitled to believe they're better, according
> to your rules. You intuitively hold the belief that one is making a
> meaningful reduction in pollution merely by *not* putting garbage in one's
> garbage bin. But you're fully entitled to believe you're better, according
> to the different rules you follow. It obvious that you have one rule for
> vegans while following a different rule. You measure your virtue by
> comparing your garbage bin to other's garbage bins, but you don't allow
> vegans to measure their virtue by comparing their shopping cart to other's
> shopping carts. St. Derek reveals your double standard here and proves
> that is you who is arrogant and egotistical, not the vegans you're too
> keen to malign.
>
>>> I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to stop
>>> recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
>>> think you're better than them because you recycle?

>> In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
>> out of landfills.

> Better than who, the unethical scumbags who don't recycle? So that's your
> game is it? You *DO* think you're more virtuous, *better* than others by
> comparing your efforts to reduce something you believe is bad to the
> efforts, or lack of, of others. You're a hypocrite. An arrogant and
> egotistical hypocrite. Start believing in your own bullshit before telling
> others to live by it.

Simply doing something in a way that you think may be better than another
way is not the same as shouting from the rooftops, or even thinking, that
those who don't follow your lead are akin to barbarians or murderers.
Raising animals for food is not evil, if you think so you and you don't keep
your twisted view to yourself then you deserve all the verbal abuse you get.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 25, 7:10*am, George Plimpton > wrote:

> >> Yes, but there's no reason to think being "vegan" necessarily does that.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 25, 7:12*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 7:00 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Of course it's rational to believe that the amount of suffering caused by
> >> - *not* "required" by - your diet might exceed that caused by mine. *You
> >> don't know what I eat, apart from some meat, and you don't know how much
> >> meat I eat or the provenance of it. *Simply *not* eating meat doesn't
> >> say anything about the amount of suffering you cause relative to what I
> >> cause.

> > I don't think it's rational to believe that at all,

> It is absolutely rational to believe that it could be the case.

Well, I think it's very irrational to believe that. It gets boring to
repeat the reasons why endlessly.

> >> And you might well be.

> >> I'm not the one claiming there is a moral imperative not to harm
> >> animals, and I'm not the one making some ****witted claim about the
> >> level of harm caused by my diet.

> >> You're going around in circles, as usual. *You want to claim you're
> >> making a significant reduction in harm merely by *not* consuming meat,
> >> and you also want to pretend you're doing as much as you reasonably can
> >> be expected to do, and neither is true. *It's all about your ego and vanity.

> > You say that neither is true,

> Neither is true. *Your conclusion is unwarranted.

That's an assertion, not an argument.

> >> Yes, you do know it. *You know that it *could* mean that.

> >> You cannot make any reasonable conclusion. *The fact you stick with this
> >> utterly illogical and unfounded position proves your irrationality and
> >> bad faith.

> > I do not agree.

> Pure irrational obstinacy.

Actually, I think you'll find it's because you haven't offered the
least reason in support of your position.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 06:15, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 8:08 PM, Glen wrote:

>>> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
>>> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

>> And better than others who don't.

> Quite likely, greggeorge.

Candid admission that you measure your virtue by comparing it to others' virtue. Thank you. You've
said that that's a disgusting vegan trait but it turns out that it's your own.

>> You believe something is bad and so
>> you try to reduce your contribution to that bad thing.

> My action unequivocally is a reduction.

No it isn't.

More than 230,000 tons of waste sent for recycling by householders is being dumped in landfill sites
every year, it is claimed. Councils say the waste is ' contaminated', and it is cheaper to bury it
than to remove the unwanted elements.

However, the policy risks bringing the entire council recycling regime into disrepute.
http://tinyurl.com/cwe5gk

The Eight Myths of Recycling
By Daniel Benjamin

Garbage is the unavoidable by-product of production and consumption. There are three ways to deal
with it, all known and used since antiquity: dumping, burning, and recycling. For thousands of years
it was commonplace to dump rubbish on site--on the floor, or out the window. Scavenging domestic
animals, chiefly pigs and dogs, consumed the edible parts, and poor people salvaged what they could.
The rest was covered and built upon.

Eventually, humans began to use more elaborate methods of dealing with their rubbish. The first
modern incinerator (called a "destructor") went into operation in Nottingham, England in 1874. After
World War II, landfills became the accepted means of dealing with trash. The modern era of the
recycling craze can be traced to 1987, when the garbage barge Mobro 4000 had to spend two months
touring the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico before it found a home for its load. The Environmental
Defense Fund, the National Solid Waste Management Association (whose members were anxious to line up
new customers for their expanding landfill capacity), the press, and finally the Environmental
Protection Agency, spun the story of a garbage crisis out of control. By 1995, the majority of
Americans thought trash was our number one environmental problem--with 77 percent reporting that
increased recycling of household rubbish was the solution. Yet these claims and fears were based on
errors and misinformation, which I have compiled into the Eight Great Myths of Recycling.

Myth 1: Our Garbage Will Bury Us

Fact: Even though the United States is larger, more affluent, and producing more garbage, it now has
more landfill capacity that ever before. The erroneous opposite impression comes from old studies
that counted the number of landfills (which has declined) rather than landfill capacity (which has
grown). There are a few places, like New Jersey, where capacity has shrunk. But the uneven
distribution of landfill space is no more important than the uneven distribution of automobile
manufacturing. Perhaps the most important fact is this: If we permitted our rubbish to grow to the
height of New York City's famous Fresh Kills landfill (225 feet), a site only about 10 miles on a
side could hold all of America's garbage for the next century.

Myth 2: Our Garbage Will Poison Us

Fact: Almost anything can pose a theoretical threat, but evidence of actual harm from landfills is
almost non-existent, as the Environmental Protection Agency itself acknowledges. The EPA has
concluded that landfills constructed according to agency regulations can be expected to cause a
total of 5.7 cancer-related deaths over the next 300 years. It isn't household waste, but improperly
or illegally dumped industrial wastes that can be harmful. Household recycling programs have no
effect on those wastes, a fact ignored by messianic proponents of recycling.

Myth 3: Our Packaging Is Immoral

Fact: Many people argue that the best way to "save landfill space" is to reduce the amount of
packaging Americans use, via mandatory controls. But packaging can actually reduce total garbage
produced and total resources used. The average American family generates fully one third less trash
than does the average Mexican household. The reason is that our intensive use of packaging yields
less spoilage and breakage, thereby saving resources, and producing, on balance, less total rubbish.
Careful packaging also reduces food poisoning and other health problems.

Over the past 25 years, market incen-tives have already reduced the weights of individual packages
by 30 to 70 percent. An average aluminium can weighed nearly 21 grams in 1972; in 2002, that same
can weighs in at under 14 grams. A plastic grocery sack was 2.3 mils thick in 1976; by 2001, it was
a mere 0.7 mils.

By contrast, the environmentally sensitive New York Times has been growing. A year's worth of the
newspaper now weighs 520 pounds and occupies more than 40 cubic feet in a landfill. This is
equivalent in weight to 17,180 aluminum cans--nearly a century's worth of beer and soft drink
consumption by one person. Clearly, people anxious to heal Mother Earth must forego the Times!

Myth 4: We Must Achieve "Trash Independence"

Fact: Garbage has become an inter-state business, with 47 states exporting the stuff and 45
importing it. Environ-mentalists contend that each state should dispose within its borders all the
trash produced within its borders. But why? Transporting garbage across an arbitrary legal boundary
has no effect on the envi-ronmental impact of the disposal of that material. Moving a ton of trash
is no more hazardous than moving a ton of any other commodity.

Myth 5: We're Squandering Irreplaceable Resources

Fact: Thanks to numerous innovations, we now produce about twice as much output per unit of energy
as we did 50 years ago, and five times as much as we did 200 years ago. Automobiles use only half as
much metal as in 1970, and one optical fiber carries the same number of calls as 625 copper wires
did 20 years ago. Bridges are built with less steel, because steel is stronger and engineering is
improved. Automobile and truck engines consume less fuel per unit of work performed, and produce
fewer emissions.

To address the issue of paper, the most-promoted form of recycling: The amount of new growth that
occurs each year in forests is more than 20 times the number of trees consumed by the world each
year for wood and paper. Where loss of forest land is taking place, as in tropical rain forests, it
can be traced directly to a lack of private property rights. Governments have used forests,
especially the valuable tropical ones, as an easy way to raise quick cash. Wherever private property
rights to forests are well-defined and enforced, forests are either stable or growing. More
recycling of paper or cardboard would not eliminate tropical forest losses.

Myth 6: Recycling Always Protects the Environment

Fact: Recycling is a manufacturing process, and therefore it too has environ-mental impact. The U.S.
Office of Technology Assessment says that it is "not clear whether secondary manufacturing [i.e.,
recycling] produces less pollution per ton of material processed than primary manufacturing."
Recycling merely changes the nature of pollution--sometimes decreasing it, and sometimes increasing it.

This effect is particularly apparent in the case of curbside recycling, which is mandated or
strongly encouraged by governments in many communities around the country. Curbside recycling
requires that more trucks be used to collect the same amount of waste materials. Instead of one
truck picking up 40 pounds of garbage, one will pick up four pounds of recyclables and a second will
collect 36 pounds of rubbish.

Los Angeles has estimated that due to curbside recycling, its fleet of trucks is twice as large as
it otherwise would be--800 vs. 400 trucks. This means more iron ore and coal mining, more steel and
rub-ber manufacturing, more petroleum extracted and refined for fuel--and of course all that extra
air pollution in the Los Angeles basin as the 400 added trucks cruise the streets.

Myth 7: Recycling Saves Resources

Fact: Using less of one resource usually means using more of another. Curbside recycling is
substantially more costly and uses far more resources than a program in which disposal is combined
with a voluntary drop-off/buy-back option. The reason: Curbside recycling of household rubbish uses
huge amounts of capital and labor per pound of material recycled. Overall, curbside recycling costs
between 35 and 55 percent more than simply disposing of the item. It typically wastes resources.

In the ordinary course of daily living, we already reuse most higher value items. The only things
that intentionally end up in the trash are both low in value and costly to reuse or recycle. Yet
these are the items that municipal recycling programs are targeting--the very things that consumers
have already decided are too worthless or costly to deal with further. All of the profitable,
socially productive opportunities for recycling were long ago co-opted by the private sector,
because they pay back. The bulk of all curbside recycling programs simply waste resources.

Myth 8: Without Forced Mandates, There Wouldn't Be Any Recycling

Fact: Long before state or local governments had even contemplated the word recycling, the makers of
steel, aluminum, and thousands of other products were recycling manufacturing scraps. Some operated
post-consumer drop-off centers. As for the claim that the private sector promotes premature or
excessive disposal, this ignores an enormous body of evidence to the contrary. Firms only survive in
the marketplace if they take into account all costs. Fifty years ago, when labor was cheap compared
to materials, goods were built to be repaired, so that the expensive materials could be used for a
longer period of time. As the price of labor has risen and the cost of materials has fallen,
manufacturers have responded by building items to be used until they break, and then discarded.
There is no bias against recycling; there is merely a market-driven effort to conserve the most
valuable resources.

Informed, voluntary recycling con-serves resources and raises our wealth, enabling us to achieve
valued ends that would otherwise be impossible. Mandatory programs, however, in which people are
directly or indirectly compelled to do what they know is not sensible, routinely make society worse
off. Such programs force people to squander valuable resources in a quixotic quest to save what they
would sensibly discard.

Except in a few rare cases, the free market is eminently capable of providing both disposal and
recycling in an amount and mix that creates the greatest wealth for society. This makes possible the
widest and most satisfying range of human endeavors. Simply put, market prices are sufficient to
induce the trash-man to come, and to make his burden bearable, and neither he nor we can hope for
any better than that.

Daniel Benjamin is a professor at Clemson University and a senior associate at PERC, the Property
and Environment Research Center
http://tinyurl.com/pxbpj7

Modern properly maintained landfills are good for the environment.

SAN FRANCISCO--The newly built Sierra Point Radisson Hotel puts a positive spin on the word "dump."

Built on a garbage landfill in San Francisco because of a lack of land, the 210-room property with a
view of the San Francisco Bay opened July 26 after 13 months of construction and 18 months of planning.

General contractor Dave Zurbin of Webcor Builders said that with everybody wanting property with a
view of the water, landfills are becoming a common building site for commercial businesses, golf
courses and now hotels.

"There is nowhere left to build," he said. "Everybody wants to live and work on the peninsula, so
they have to start building on landfills."

Although San Francisco's barriers to entry gave developers little choice but to build on the
landfill, the eight-story hotel couldn't be at a better location--100 feet from the water, said
Navin Dimond, owner of the Sierra Point Radisson and principal of Stonebridge Cos. in Aurora, Colo.

"You would never be able to tell it used to be landfill. It's a nice area right on the bay," Dimond
said.

A special foundation

Although the 50-acre landfill was filled and sealed several years before Stonebridge Cos. bought the
land, Pahl-Pahl-Pahl Architects/Planners and Webcor had to design and create a solid foundation for
the hotel. In addition, they had to develop and install a mechanism to prevent toxic methane gas
from the landfill from leaking into the hotel.

First, a 4-foot-thick clay cap was laid over the already-covered landfill. Then, because the
subsurface conditions were unsuitable for supporting the weight of the hotel, concrete piles were
driven into the ground, some as far as 150 feet. Finally, the piles were capped with an additional
layer of concrete to ensure that there were no openings for methane to get through.

Harvey Hwang, assistant project manager at Webcor, said driving the piles into the concrete and
landfill was a challenge, especially because the piles could hit garbage buried within the landfill
and break. By the time the foundation had been sealed, 50 of 387 piles had broken.

"We were always at risk of hitting something as we were on our way down [through the landfill], and
then we would have to start over," he said.

From there, a methane-gas-collecting system was incorporated into the structure. Under regulation
from the Environmental Protection Agency and the county, the designers and contractors had to make
sure that even if methane gas escaped from the landfill, it would not leak into the hotel.

The collecting system operates by capturing and holding leaked methane gas within tubes installed
under the floor slab. The gas then is released from the tubes into the air via a chimney-like
structure, away from the hotel.

However, the chances that methane gas could escape a sealed landfill are slim, Zurbin said.

"The slab of clay is pretty much impermeable," he said.

In anticipation of possible movement of the building, the structural design also required
incorporating hinged slabs at all the building's entrances.

Proper precautions

Steve Wall, solid waste management engineer for the EPA in San Francisco, said building on a
landfill is safe, as long as proper procedures are followed. In the United States, regulation of
landfills is delegated to the state, and then, in cases such as California, delegated to the county.

Wall said the Sierra Point designers and builders have taken the proper precautions, but suggested
installing a gas-monitoring system in the hotel just to be safe.

"Although it may seem redundant, a gas-monitoring system on the lower floors would be good in case
gas leaks," he said.

Generally, a hotel of this type and size costs about $17 million, but building on a landfill
requires an additional $500,000 to $1 million, according to Hwang. He would not reveal the cost of
the Sierra Point Radisson, but said it was more than $17 million.

The cost, however, was well worth it because the hotel is on the water, Dimond said. Even better,
Joe Pahl, architect for Pahl-Pahl-Pahl, said guests will never feel like or even know that they are
staying on a landfill because of the transformation of the site.

"There is no way you can tell that it used to be a landfill. There is landscaping, pools and parking
lots," Pahl said.

Hwang said building the Sierra Point Radisson on a landfill was a good use of land.

"Why leave it as a dump when you could make it into beautiful land for people to use?" he said

RELATED ARTICLE: Landfill building musts

1. A 4-foot-thick clay cap should be laid over the covered landfill.

2. Concrete piles should be driven into the landfill through the clay cap to ensure a solid foundation.

3. Special venting should be designed and incorporated into the construction of the hotel to capture
methane gas from the landfill.
http://tinyurl.com/okd4ce

>> Vegans believe
>> something is bad and so they try to reduce their contribution to that
>> bad thing.

> Their action does not necessarily achieve a reduction.

Yours certainly doesn't, so get off your moral pedestal and stop believing you're more virtuous than
others by comparing your garbage *LOL* with theirs hypocrite. Start believing in your own bullshit
before telling others to live by it.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 12:19, Derek wrote:
> [...]

> categorical statements only to then dismiss them when
> pushed to stand by them.
>
> *His kids:*
>
> "The land goes back in my wife's family quite a few
> generations and making something like this out of it
> would be grand, **we have no kids** to leave it to."
> Dutch Oct 22 2001 http://tinyurl.com/yk8qoh
>
> and
>
> "My wife and I had two kids .. "
> Dutch Jun 30 2003 http://tinyurl.com/ssm99
>
> and
>
> "As I have mentioned here before, failure to thrive is
> one of vegetarianism's dirty little secrets. I have
> experienced it first- hand, my family returned to eating
> meat after 18 years as vegetarians because of it."
> Dutch Aug 5 2004 http://tinyurl.com/yd5u5a
>
> and
>
> "During my wife's pregnancies *I* ended up doing
> most of the housework ..."
> Dutch Jan 19 2006 http://tinyurl.com/yz4dsw
>
> and
>
> "No child is born into ideal circumstances. Were you?
> I sure wasn't. My wife wasn't, neither were my kids."
> Dutch Feb 20 2006 http://tinyurl.com/yb4dhz
>
> and
>
> "I don't want my kids seeing cancer surgery or videos
> of assaults or anything that might cause them undue
> emotional distress. They're children."
> Dutch Jun 30 2006 http://tinyurl.com/ybu8kq
>
> and
>
> "I never forced my kids to be vegetarians, and they
> weren't, [because I never had kids].
> Dutch Oct 17 2006 http://tinyurl.com/y9trhd
>
> and
>
> [start - Pearl to Dutch]
> > Of course I DON'T believe you. No one does. How could we.
> > You LIED about having CHILDREN, for heaven's sake. GLL!

> [Dutch replied]
> Nobody tells the whole truth all the time, and I advise strongly
> not to try to claim otherwise.
> [end]
> Dutch Oct 23 2006 http://tinyurl.com/6psp6h7
>
> *Abortion:*
>
> "In fact I have been a pro-choice activist, my former
> wife was a nurse in an abortion clinic for a time with
> Henry Morgentaler prior to Roe v Wade. She faced
> charges for it. My current wife has had an abortion."
> Dutch 7 May 2006 http://tinyurl.com/28oxdg
>
> But
>
> [start - A.M. to Dutch]
> > Does your wife agree with your principles? What if
> > she didn't? Would you divorce her if she aborted your
> > child? If your wife mistakenly got pregnant and simply
> > did not want to committ to the full term and subsequent
> > child bearing, would you leave her?

> [Dutch]
> My wife would never kill a member of our family, not
> before birth, not after. The idea is unthinkable.
> [end]
> Dutch 4 Dec 2002 http://tinyurl.com/3dz22p
>
> As we can plainly see, Dutch lies about every issue that gets raised
> here and in other newsgroups, so don't fall for a single word he has
> to say on anything. He's a self-confessed liar.

*TOTALLY BUSTED* What's left here Derek? Dutch - a liar with no credibility, and Jonathan Ball -
another liar with no credibility who tells people he's got a Ph.D in economics, and a simple-minded
poor fool who tries to tries to justify cruelty by saying animals benefit from it. *LOL* There's not
a credible anti left to argue with.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 04:56, Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> On Mar 24, 9:08 pm, > wrote:

>>> I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
>>> makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

>> And better than others who don't. You believe something is bad and so you try to reduce your
>> contribution to that bad thing. Vegans believe something is bad and so they try to reduce their
>> contribution to that bad thing. You believe you're better than those who don't try to reduce their
>> contribution to your bad thing and so you automatically think vegans believe they're better than
>> those who don't try to reduce their contribution to their bad thing. You measure your virtue by
>> comparing yourself to others and so you think vegans measure their virtue by comparing themselves to
>> others as well. You're projecting your own faults onto vegans and trying to malign them for
>> something only you do. *LOL*

> That's pretty much how Gooberdoodle reacts to anything......by
> projecting.

He's a lying little fish too.

"I know a lot about economics, but I didn't complete the degree, and it's important to me to be
known as honest. Honesty compels me to admit that I didn't complete my Ph.D. " - Jonathan Ball
http://tinyurl.com/7nkls7x

> So you're a drop-out

Nope. Ph.D. in economics; UCLA. Jonathan Ball
http://tinyurl.com/yztzj7x

*LOL*
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Why did you remove all the newsgroups, Jonathan Ball? What are you afraid of?

On 25/03/2012 06:14, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 7:27 PM, Glen wrote:

>> *BUSTED*
>>
>>> I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution. What it
>>> does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
>>> consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you live) a
>>> form of pollution,

>> It is.

> It could be, greggeorge.

You don't know anything about the effects of recycling.

> [...]

any better than that.

Daniel Benjamin is a professor at Clemson University and a senior associate at PERC, the Property
and Environment Research Center
http://tinyurl.com/pxbpj7

>>> then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
>>> pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
>>> pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that certainly
>>> creates more industrial pollution. Whether or not the pollution caused
>>> by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
>>> than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
>>> stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but I
>>> don't know.

>> Vegans intuitively hold the belief that one is making a meaningful
>> reduction in animal suffering merely by *not* putting animal parts in

You've never been able to show it, Jonathan Ball (no Ph.D)

>>> In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping material
>>> out of landfills.

>> Better than who, the unethical scumbags who don't recycle?

> Better than I would be if I didn't recycle, nutless.

And *better* than those who don't recycle. You admitted it.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Derek" > wrote
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:22:30 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
> []
>>Raising animals for food is not evil

> You believe it is.

No, I don't.

[snip elaborate fallacy]

Wow, you must feel really threatened by me to have spent all that time quote
mining.

I must be doing something right.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote
> *LOL*

Pure ad hominem.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 17:39, Dutch wrote:

> > wrote
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:22:30 -0700, > wrote:
>>
>> []
>>> Raising animals for food is not evil

>> You believe it is.

> No, I don't.

*LOL*

> [snip elaborate fallacy]

*LOL* You're a totally busted liar.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 17:43, Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>> *LOL*

> Pure ad hominem.

Why do you think Jonathan Ball tried to pretend he had a Ph.D in economics little Ditch? Why did he
lie. Why do *YOU* lie?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote
> And *better* than those who don't recycle. You admitted it.

Vegans don't simply argue that avoiding animal products is "better" (by some
quantitative measure), that is a probably reasonable claim, generally
speaking. No, they believe in their hearts that the difference between being
a vegan and consuming animal products is analogous to the difference between
having paid employees and keeping slaves. They perceive a huge moral gulf
between themselves and the "murderers" around them (their term, not mine)
They believe that one must be a vegan to to be a truly moral person.

This is the notion, fundamental to veganism, that has been thoroughly
discredited over and over again on this newsgroup, and that is the reason
that you vegans continue to hang around desperately hoping to *win* by
getting in some last chance ad hominem attack.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 17:56, Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>> And *better* than those who don't recycle. You admitted it.

> Vegans

*HA HA HA HA HA* You know what? I didn't read any of that liar?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 25/03/2012 17:39, Dutch wrote:
>>
>> > wrote
>>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:22:30 -0700, > wrote:
>>>
>>> []
>>>
>>> You believe it is.

>> No, I don't.

> *LOL*

I obviously don't, we're talking about MY opinion, and if I am the final
arbiter of anything it is that.

>> [snip elaborate fallacy]

> *LOL* You're a totally busted liar.

Nobody tells the truth all the time, nobody. Most people lie several times a
day. You're just not aware of it. Do some reading on the subject. There is
usually a perfectly sensible reason for it. In my case, I have referred to
"my kids" without stipulating that they are hypothetical ("if"), because it
would have added nothing to what I was saying. I was still simply giving my
opinion.

In any case, even if I believed that eating meat was evil at one point in
time, I kind of did because I was a vegan, that does not mean I believe it
now. In fact I don't, I WOKE UP. That's the fallacy I'm talking about. Derek
fancies himself an authority on formal fallacies yet he regularly commits
the most basic ones.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote
> On 25/03/2012 17:43, Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote
>>> *LOL*

>> Pure ad hominem.
>>

> Why do you think Jonathan Ball tried to pretend he had a Ph.D in economics
> little Ditch?

"little Ditch" isn't that cute.. You're quite the little flame warrior now
aren't you? LOL

Why did he
> lie. Why do *YOU* lie?

There are many reasons to occasionally embellish or say something that is
not quite factual, we all do it, quite frequently actually, that is a well
know fact among sociologists. For example, if you try to deny it, you'll be
lying.

But this hasn't gotten you any closer to establishing the moral necessity of
veganism, that's what you want to prove isn't it?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 25/03/2012 17:56, Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote
>>> And *better* than those who don't recycle. You admitted it.

>> Vegans

> *HA HA HA HA HA* You know what? I didn't read any of that liar?

That's typical of a vegan, so not surprising.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Derek" > wrote
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:56:54 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
>>"Glen" > wrote
>>> And *better* than those who don't recycle. You admitted it.

>>Vegans

> You don't get to criticise

Yes I do, and you get to listen and writhe and gnash your teeth and attempt
to silence me by compiling great elaborate loads of ad hominem nonsense, but
its futile old chop, I'm here, I've got your number, and there's nothing you
can do about it.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Derek" > wrote

>>What's left here Derek?

> Not a lot. I'll grant you that.

It was a colossal waste of effort, there isn't one person in the world who
cares about any of that who doesn't already have blinders on anyway.

> So who ARE you, Glen, and why did you copy and paste parts of my
> private email to you here?

Because he's an idiot, isn't that obvious?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 18:11, Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>>>
>>> Pure ad hominem.
>>>

>> Why do you think Jonathan Ball tried to pretend he had a Ph.D in economics
>> little Ditch?

> "little Ditch" isn't that cute.. You're quite the little flame warrior now
> aren't you? LOL

Answer. Why did Jonathan Ball lie by pretending he has a PH.D in economics?

> Why did he
>> lie. Why do *YOU* lie?

> There are many reasons to occasionally embellish or say something that is
> not quite factual

You didn't /embellish/ something not quite factual. You lied --- about *EVERYTHING* countless times.

>we all do it, quite frequently actually

No. You sure do though. *LOL*
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 18:17, Derek wrote:
> [...]
>>> charges for it. My current wife has had an abortion."
>>> Dutch 7 May 2006 http://tinyurl.com/28oxdg
>>>
>>> But
>>>
>>> [start - A.M. to Dutch]
>>> [Dutch]
>>> My wife would never kill a member of our family, not
>>> before birth, not after. The idea is unthinkable.
>>> [end]
>>> Dutch 4 Dec 2002 http://tinyurl.com/3dz22p
>>>
>>> As we can plainly see, Dutch lies about every issue that gets raised
>>> here and in other newsgroups, so don't fall for a single word he has
>>> to say on anything. He's a self-confessed liar.

>> *TOTALLY BUSTED*

> Absolutely. And all that written by someone who wrote,
>
> "You will never, ever catch me in a lie, because I don't."
> Dutch Oct 16 2006 http://tinyurl.com/yxt76l
>
> and
>
> "All I want to do is get the respect that I feel I am due

*LOL*

>> What's left here Derek?

> Not a lot. I'll grant you that.
>
>> Dutch - a liar with no credibility, and Jonathan Ball -
>> another liar with no credibility who tells people he's got a Ph.D in economics, and a simple-minded
>> poor fool who tries to tries to justify cruelty by saying animals benefit from it. *LOL* There's not
>> a credible anti left to argue with.

> So who ARE you, Glen, and why did you copy and paste parts of my
> private email to you here?

My sincere apologies Derek. I didn't mean any damage by it. Guess we got off to a bad start, eh?
Sorry :-)
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 18:05, Dutch wrote:
> > wrote in message ...

>>> No, I don't.

>> *LOL*

> I obviously don't,

You obviously do. They are you quotes.

>>> [snip elaborate fallacy]

>> *LOL* You're a totally busted liar.

> Nobody tells the truth all the time, nobody.

*HA HA HA HA HA* Take the shame like a man, fat little Ditch boy.

(snipped unread)
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 25/03/2012 18:58, Derek wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:36:44 +0100, > wrote:
>
>> On 25/03/2012 18:17, Derek wrote:

> []
>>> So who ARE you, Glen, and why did you copy and paste parts of my
>>> private email to you here?

>> My sincere apologies Derek. I didn't mean any damage by it.

> No harm no foul, I usually say, but there was a measure of intent in
> there, I assume.
>
>> Guess we got off to a bad start, eh?

> I believe that "start" happened a few years ago, "Glen", so who are
> you?
>
>> Sorry :-)

> I'd like to believe that.

What do *YOU* have to say about this intelligent man you respect and admire so much lying about
having a Ph.D in economics St. Derek? I don't recall a single comment from you about it.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Derek" > wrote
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:05:07 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

>>> *LOL*

>>I obviously don't,

> The quotes I provided show otherwise

If you change your mind about something that does not mean that when you
state your new position you're lying.

How could you think anyone would accept such a nonsensical argument? Are you
high?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:16:32 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:

>>> You don't get to criticise .

>>Yes I do

> No, you don't, liar.

Obviously I do, since I just did, and will continue to do so as long as I
feel like.

I hope you're not so delusional that you believe your elaborate load of
manure has any influence or me, or anyone for that matter. It's kind of
pathetic that you'd spend so much time on such on something like that.

Vegans don't simply argue that avoiding animal products is "better" (by some
quantitative measure), that is a probably reasonable claim, generally
speaking. No, they believe in their hearts that the difference between being
a vegan and consuming animal products is analogous to the difference between
having paid employees and keeping slaves. They perceive a huge moral gulf
between themselves and the "murderers" around them (their term, not mine)
They believe that one must be a vegan to to be a truly moral person.

This is the notion, fundamental to veganism, that has been thoroughly
discredited over and over again on this newsgroup, and that is the reason
that you vegans continue to hang around desperately hoping to *win* by
getting in some last chance ad hominem attack.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 25/03/2012 18:11, Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote

>>> Why do you think Jonathan Ball tried to pretend he had a Ph.D in
>>> economics
>>> little Ditch?

>> "little Ditch" isn't that cute.. You're quite the little flame warrior
>> now
>> aren't you? LOL

> Answer. Why did Jonathan Ball lie by pretending he has a PH.D in
> economics?

I could take an educated guess, but I don't care, it has no importance to
this topic. He has made statements of opinion which do not require a PhD nor
do they require that he was always truthful about having one. You're
focusing on it because you have no answer for those statements.

>> Why did he
>>> lie. Why do *YOU* lie?

>> There are many reasons to occasionally embellish or say something that is
>> not quite factual

> You didn't /embellish/ something not quite factual. You lied --- about
> *EVERYTHING* countless times.

That's completely false. And even if it were true, it doesn't help you prove
that veganism is moral imperative, which I assume is your goal.

>>we all do it, quite frequently actually

> No.

Yes, do a little research, don't make me do it for you.

> You sure do though. *LOL*

Actually I lie quite infrequently, I'm not very good at it. Most of those
mined quotes are over a decade old. Maybe it's time you demonstrated the
relevance of it. Of you can't because it's pure ad hominem.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 25/03/2012 18:05, Dutch wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> *LOL*

>> I obviously don't,

> You obviously do. They are you quotes.

That's a fallacy, I explained why in another response, which you probably
didn't read, nor would you have understood, even though it is really simple.

>>> *LOL* You're a totally busted liar.

>> Nobody tells the truth all the time, nobody.

> *HA HA HA HA HA* Take the shame like a man, fat little Ditch boy.

No shame at all, and you still can't prove your case.

> (snipped unread)

Derek and Glen, the blind leading the dumb.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 25/03/2012 18:58, Derek wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:36:44 +0100, > wrote:
>>
>>> On 25/03/2012 18:17, Derek wrote:

>> []
>>>
>>> My sincere apologies Derek. I didn't mean any damage by it.

>> No harm no foul, I usually say, but there was a measure of intent in
>> there, I assume.
>>
>>> Guess we got off to a bad start, eh?

>> I believe that "start" happened a few years ago, "Glen", so who are
>> you?
>>
>>> Sorry :-)

>> I'd like to believe that.

> What do *YOU* have to say about this intelligent man you respect and
> admire so much lying about having a Ph.D in economics St. Derek? I don't
> recall a single comment from you about it.

People don't always tell the complete truth nitwit, not in daily life,
certainly not on usenet. Plus it has no relevance to this newsgroup or this
discussion. Both of you need to grow up.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/25/2012 3:00 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 25, 7:10 am, George > wrote:

>>> I have explained why I think it is reasonable to believe that that
>>> would generally not be the case.

>> It was bullshit - self-serving bullshit.
>>
>> The fact is, you *do* know that it could be the case, and there is
>> *nothing* intrinsic to refraining from putting animal parts in your
>> mouth that rules it out - but still, that's all you do.

> There are good reasons for thinking it would usually not be the case.

But you can't rule out that it is the case, and clearly you aren't doing
all you *reasonably* can do to prevent suffering.

We have been over this too many times to count. If you *wanted* to -
but you don't - you could find a better "vegan" diet than the one you
follow, "better" meaning with respect to harming animals. That's the
crux of the whole issue: merely by not consuming animal parts, you have
no idea if you're following the best "vegan" diet possible, let alone
the best of all possible diets. But refraining from putting animal
parts in your mouth is the beginning and the end of your effort.