Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "vegan" arrogance and egotism

On Apr 6, 8:08*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
On 4/6/2012 10:21 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 7:05 pm, George *wrote:
On 4/6/2012 9:25 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 6:11 pm, George * *wrote:
On 4/6/2012 8:53 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:46 pm, George * * *wrote:
On 4/6/2012 8:29 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:16 pm, George * * * *wrote:
On 4/6/2012 7:42 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 3:57 pm, George * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 10:20 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:53 am, George * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 8:27 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 5, 11:16 pm, George * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:32 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 5, 9:56 pm, George * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 12:54 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 5, 9:33 pm, George * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 12:20 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:12 pm, George * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/5/2012 4:44 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:59 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/3/2012 7:57 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 3, 10:45 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/3/2012 1:16 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 3, 10:11 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/3/2012 11:46 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 3, 6:22 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 4/2/2012 11:24 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Apr 2, 10:45 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/31/2012 1:39 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:15 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/24/2012 8:08 PM, Glen wrote:

On 24/03/2012 18:18, George Plimpton wrote:
On 3/24/2012 6:24 AM, Rupert wrote:
On Mar 23, 11:19 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/23/2012 1:42 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 23, 8:31 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/23/2012 10:44 AM, George Plimpton wrote:

On 3/23/2012 10:20 AM, Derek wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:56:09 -0700, George
wrote:

On 3/23/2012 8:46 AM, Rupert wrote:
On Mar 23, 4:00 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/23/2012 12:03 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 23, 7:52 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/22/2012 11:31 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 23, 7:25 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/22/2012 11:04 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 23, 6:55 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/22/2012 10:27 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 23, 2:33 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
A typical "vegan" tries to argue "Why vegans are simply
better
people."http://forums..randi.org/showthread.php?t=226259

All "vegans" believe that. Woopert is lying when he
says he
doesn't.

What do you suppose would motivate me to lie about it?

Because you know that bragging that your character is
better
than that
of others, particularly on such an inflammatory and
contentious topic as
not putting animal parts in your mouth, is going to
generate
a lot of
well-founded criticism, and you don't want to have to
defend
yourself
against the charge of placing yourself on a moral
pedestal,
so you just
lie. But you *do* think you're "simply better" than
those who
use
animal products.

You say that I am aware that the critcism would be
"well-founded".

No, I say it is well-founded, and it would be, because
bragging
about
being better, even if an objective case can be made that
one is
better,
is still disparaged.

It doesn't matter if you know it would be well-founded or
not.
You *do*
know that the criticism would ensue, so to avoid it you
lie and
claim
not to believe what you obviously *do* believe.

If I know that the criticism would be well-founded,
wouldn't
this lead
me to critically re-examine the belief?

The criticism would be for the bragging, you stupid ****wit.
You know this.

The simple fact is, you do believe you're "better" than meat
eaters
based on what you don't put in your mouth.

I don't really think, in general, it is meaningful to say
that one
person is "better" than another. I'm with the followers of
the
school
of Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy on this one. You
can't
meaningfully compare two different people.

That's bullshit. If I focus on one wrong behavior at a time
- say,
robbing liquor stores - and you commit the crime and I don't,
then I am
better than you in that one dimension - not in doubt.

Well, your behaviour is morally better in that dimension,
yes, and I
never denied that. I've always agreed that I believe that,
other
things equal, making some effort to reduce the amount of
suffering
required to produce your food is morally better than not
doing so.

The problem is *all* you have left is a shaky, ill-founded
belief that
you're "making an effort" merely by not putting animal parts
in your
mouth. All the piercing criticisms elaborated in the "vegan
shuffle"
argument continue to hold. You aren't "minimizing" and you
aren't
"doing the best you can" in regard to reducing suffering
merely by not
putting animal parts in your mouth. You just can't conclude
you're
doing anything meaningful by *not* consuming animal parts,
relative to
someone who does. Your beliefs about what the consumption of
animal
parts mean with regard to the *amount* of suffering one
causes are
false.

What reasons do you have for thinking they are false?

We've been through that countless times, you time-wasting
shitbag. The
belief that one is making a meaningful reduction in animal
suffering
merely by *not* putting animal parts in one's mouth has been
demonstrated to be illogical and false.

Then, to paraphrase, "The belief that one is making a meaningful
reduction in [pollution] merely by *not* putting [garbage] in one's
[garbage bin] has been demonstrated to be illogical and false."

I never claimed that recycling necessarily reduces pollution.
What it
does, unquestionably, is change the destination of the waste. If you
consider putting waste into a landfill (rubbish tip where you
live) a
form of pollution, then necessarily recycling reduces that kind of
pollution. Now, I can't say with assurance that it reduces total
pollution, because when the materials are reprocessed, that
certainly
creates more industrial pollution.. Whether or not the pollution
caused
by reprocessing the recyclables is less than, the same as or greater
than the pollution caused by processing virgin raw materials to make
stuff, I can't say. Intuitively, I think it's probably less, but
I don't
know.

I know you're a keen on recycling what you can. Are you going to
stop
recycling now? Do you think that maybe your neighbours believe you
think you're better than them because you recycle?

In terms of my own beliefs, I believe I *am* better for keeping
material
out of landfills.

There's another difference that makes your comparison not quite
right.
Pollution /per se/ isn't a moral issue; if I ignite some charcoal
in my
backyard barbecue and send a little smoke into the air, no one
thinks of
that as a moral issue /per se/. However, the AR/AL crowd do think
human
use of animals as an immoral act right from the beginning, either
because it violates their "rights" or because it imposes suffering
that
crosses some moral threshold. "aras" think that refraining from
consuming animal bits in and of itself is a moral improvement; I only
think recycling is a moral improvement if there is some agreement
that
keeping waste out of landfills is a moral obligation, and I'm not
sure
that it is.

I thought you said you believed you were better for keeping waste out
of landfills. Make up your mind.

I do think it's good to do. I don't think it's a moral obligation.

And you believe that doing it makes you better.

I believe that it is better to put less waste in landfills, so recycling
makes me better than I would be if I didn't do it.

And better than others who don't.

Quite likely, greggeorge.

You believe something is bad and so
you try to reduce your contribution to that bad thing.

My action unequivocally is a reduction.

Vegans believe
something is bad and so they try to reduce their contribution to that
bad thing.

Their action does not necessarily achieve a reduction.

Why not? Less plant-based agriculture takes place in order to produce
their food,

Not necessarily.

How would that work out?

Some meat-including diets have no plant-based agriculture behind the
animal protein part, and because the person following the diet consumes
some animal protein, he's consuming less plant material.

Yes, some.

QED

Your original statement [blah blah blah bullshit]

Stop with the time-wasting bullshit. *As a matter of fact and as a
matter of logic, you lose. *Refraining from putting animal parts in your
mouth does not, in and of itself, necessarily lead to a reduction in the
harm you cause. *And as has been noted many times, refraining from
putting animal bits in your mouth does not mean you're doing the best
you can. *Some "vegans" necessarily cause less harm than others, but
*none* of them is interested in the least in expending any effort
whatever at choosing a lower-harm "vegan" diet - once they stop
consuming animal bits, that's the end for nearly all of them.

For most people, going vegan would be one rational strategy for
reducing the amount of harm you cause.

It simply does not lead to the conclusion they wish to make.

What if the conclusion they want to make is that they've adopted a
rational strategy for trying to reduce the amount of suffering that
takes place to produce the food they eat?

It's bullshit - they haven't.

What reasons can you offer in favour of this conclusion?

Been over all that with you already.

I don't recall you offering any good reasons in favour of that
conclusion.

I do recall it.

That's awesome, but it doesn't help me very much.

Oh, well...

You may think that you recall having offered good reasons in favour of
the conclusion, but in fact you have not.

In fact, I have, numerous times.

You cannot show me where you have done this.

You already know where I've done this.

No, I do not,

You do. *You're just trying to waste my time; go **** off.

You have never offered good reasons

I have.

So what's wrong with offering them now?

You already know what they are. *You're just trying to waste my time.

How would you define "delusion"?

By example. *Here's an example: *most "vegans" believe their diets are
"cruelty free", when they aren't.

You think that's a delusion as opposed to just a mistaken belief?

It's a delusion when they persist in it, when irrefutable evidence that
it's wrong is presented to them.

In the case of your belief that I already know what good reasons you
have offered for thinking that vegans have not adopted a rational
strategy for trying to reduce the amount of suffering that takes place
to produce the food they eat, that belief is unfalsifiable really. If
you insist on believing that I know it then there is not a lot that I
can do to prove to you that I don't know it. If someone clings
steadfastly to an unfalsifiable belief in the absence of the least
scintilla of evidence in its favour, is it reasonable to call that a
delusion?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 23, 2:33 am, George wrote:
[...]

That's too long for a dependent clause. Don't do that.