Old 21-03-2012, 07:02 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default Always put quotes around "vegan"

On Mar 21, 8:00*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
On 3/21/2012 11:40 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:36 pm, George *wrote:
On 3/21/2012 10:59 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 21, 6:13 pm, George * *wrote:
On 3/21/2012 9:27 AM, Rupert wrote:

On 21 Mrz., 17:19, George * * *wrote:
On 3/21/2012 9:12 AM, Rupert wrote:

On 21 Mrz., 15:55, George * * * *wrote:
On 3/21/2012 12:08 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:58 am, George * * * * *wrote:
On 3/20/2012 11:53 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 20, 7:36 pm, George * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/20/2012 10:03 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 20, 5:38 pm, George * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/20/2012 8:44 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 20, 4:13 pm, George * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/19/2012 10:31 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 19, 7:27 pm, George * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/19/2012 9:39 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 19, 4:29 pm, George * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/18/2012 11:37 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 19, 7:15 am, George * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/18/2012 11:07 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:13 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/18/2012 8:09 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 18, 6:16 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/18/2012 1:07 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 18, 2:33 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/17/2012 3:33 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:00 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/17/2012 8:33 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 17, 3:50 pm, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
On 3/17/2012 1:05 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. *It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. *You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.

How exactly do you think I am trying to exalt myself

Believing that you're "better" than omnivores based on what you don't eat.

I don't.

You do.

Why do you think that?

Why do you ask pointless questions?

I asked the question because I was curious to know the answer.

Really?

Yes.

Really!?

Yes. Do you perhaps have some alternative explanation in mind?

Yes.

You don't seem very willing to share your thoughts with me at the
moment.

You didn't ask me to share them - you just asked me if I had any.

Well, I would be interested to hear what the alternative explanation
is that you have in mind, if you care to share it.

I'll give some consideration (!) to sharing it.

Well, I hope you will share it, because the chances are it will be
amusingly stupid.

No, it almost certainly would not be.

Presumably you know what alternative explanation you have in mind of
why I asked the question.

Yes.

When you say that it "almost certainly would
not be" amusingly stupid, does that mean that there is some doubt in
your mind about the matter?

No.- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Then why do you say "almost certainly" as opposed to "certainly"?

Are you teaching beginning algebra in Germany?- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

No, I'm not doing any teaching, why?

Then how are you ****ing away your time in Germany?

Doing research on topological twin buildings and topological groups.

So, the telemarketing job was a bust, eh?

I don't know why you keep carrying on about that telemarketing job.

I thought it suited you.

You think a lot of things.

Old 21-03-2012, 07:14 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
[...]

Yes, and nearly all of them are high-quality thoughts. Among them are
what an arrogant and egotistical goof you are.
Old 21-03-2012, 07:22 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

A lot of people who know me better than you do don't think I'm
arrogant and egotistical.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:53 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

I'm sure a lot of people think ****wit makes perfect sense, too.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:39 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 21, 10:18*pm, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:59:31 -0700 (PDT), Rupert

wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:13*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
Then how are you ****ing away your time in Germany?

Doing research on topological twin buildings and topological groups.

There must be an easy way to figure out how much walking area a goat
has when tethered to the inside wall of a round enclosure measuring
30M in diameter with a 3M length of rope, but I can't find it.

Let theta be the angle subtended at the centre between the point at
which the goat is tethered and the furthest point south on the
circumference of the circle that the goat can reach.

3^2=15^2+15^2-2*15^2*cos theta by the cosine rule

cos theta=441/450

Now you want the area of a sector in a circle of radius 15, angle
2theta, minus the area of the corresponding isosceles triangle

And you also want the area of a sector in a circle of radius 3, angle
pi-theta, minus the area of the corresponding isosceles triangle

Are you saying they want an exact value? If they just want it to five
decimal places, say, you would just use the calculator at this point.

Old 22-03-2012, 04:12 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
[...]

I find that rather unlikely.

You don't know the circle of people with whom ****wit associates.
****wit has said that his associates find his bizarre, poorly founded
blabbering about philosophy and ethics to be very sensible. We know
already that ****wit's associates are as wretchedly uneducated as he is
- guys who have maintenance jobs in rural taverns or occasional work as
band roadies as ****wit has said he has don't tend to associate with
thinking people.

I /do/ know the class of people with whom you associate, because
although I didn't complete my Ph.D., I was around those people for a
long time, and some people I know who did finish the program are still
friends and acquaintances. A very common defect I've noticed among
highly educated people is they think they're the smartest people in the
room on /everything/, not just in their field of expertise. You very
plainly suffer from this defect. Another is that they think they're all
Nietzschean supermen - the normal rules don't apply to them. You appear
to me to suffer somewhat less from this second defect than other Ph.D.s
of my acquaintance, but you do suffer from it. It's hard to say which
is the more outrageously offensive defect. When someone suffers from
both, as you clearly do, the result is invariably very bad.
Old 22-03-2012, 05:15 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

Goo, you just described *yourself*.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:58 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

Do you have any evidence for this?

Another is that they think they're all
Nietzschean supermen - the normal rules don't apply to them. *You appear
to me to suffer somewhat less from this second defect than other Ph.D.s
of my acquaintance, but you do suffer from it.

No, I don't.

Old 22-03-2012, 09:28 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

Another point you're missing, Ball, is that quite a lot of my family
and friends haven't done any kind of postgraduate study, and yet they
still don't think that I'm arrogant and egotistical.

Old 22-03-2012, 03:27 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Yes, my personal acquaintances, as I already said - can't you ****ing read?

Another is that they think they're all
Nietzschean supermen - the normal rules don't apply to them. You appear
to me to suffer somewhat less from this second defect than other Ph.D.s
of my acquaintance, but you do suffer from it.

No, I don't.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes, you do.

Old 22-03-2012, 03:37 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

Your personal acquaintances don't constitute any evidence that I

Old 22-03-2012, 03:38 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
[...]

Another point you're missing, George, is that quite a lot of my family
and friends haven't done any kind of postgraduate study, and yet they
still don't think that I'm arrogant and egotistical.

They're suck-ups.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:48 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I thought you were asking how I know it happens at all. My
immediate in-person acquaintances do not, of course, comprise evidence
that you suffer from the defect. It is my experience of you in Usenet,
and my observation that you present yourself as knowing things outside
your field far better than others that demonstrates your defect. This
idea that you give "talks" (preaching to the choir) about the ethics of
human use of animals is very solid evidence.

Another is that they think they're all
Nietzschean supermen - the normal rules don't apply to them. You appear
to me to suffer somewhat less from this second defect than other Ph.D.s
of my acquaintance, but you do suffer from it.

No, I don't.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes, you do.

!!!!!

Old 22-03-2012, 04:29 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 22 Mrz., 16:48, George Plimpton wrote:
[...]

I do give talks about the ethics of the human use of animals, and I am
not preaching to the choir, I am talking to people who are about to
engage in experiments on animals. And I was offered that job, I did
not apply for it.

I do not present myself as having more knowledge than I in fact have.

Another is that they think they're all
Nietzschean supermen - the normal rules don't apply to them. *You appear
to me to suffer somewhat less from this second defect than other Ph.D.s
of my acquaintance, but you do suffer from it.

No, I don't.

Ha ha ha ha ha! *Yes, you do.

!!!!!

I did not value your opinion, or find your unargued expression of it
interesting, so I ignored it.