Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "veganism" is bullshit

“Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
is an ethical problem in the human use of animals per se, and 2) the
response is ethically empty.

All “vegans” start by committing a logical fallacy, the fallacy of
denying the antecedent:

If I consume animal parts, I cause the suffering and death of animals.

I do not consume any animal parts;

therefore, I do not cause the suffering and death of animals.

The conclusion is wrong because consuming animal parts is not the only
way in which animals are caused to suffer and die. Crop agriculture
kills and maims uncounted millions of wild animals of the field –
usually not as large as the largest livestock, but millions of bird,
reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals; even animals as large as deer
are routinely killed by crop machinery. So, the conclusion is false.

All “vegans” also begin by saying they live a “cruelty free
‘lifestyle’”, but this is also bullshit, due to the fact of animal
collateral deaths elaborated above. Most “vegans” retreat from that
position to the weaker claim that they at least “minimize” animal
suffering and death, but that is also bullshit. To minimize, they must
count, and no one does that. It is conceivable to follow a
meat-including diet that actually causes less harm to animals than the
typical “vegan” diet, but even if one looks only at “vegan” diets, it is
obvious that some food crops cause less harm than others; unless a
“vegan” excludes everything but the least-harm vegetables from his diet,
he cannot be said to be minimizing the harm he causes.

The next retreat is to the claim of “doing the best I can,” but again
that is bullshit, for the same reason: unless one has undertaken to
measure the harm, it is unlikely one is doing the best one can; there
must be *some* change, say less rice and more soybeans, that would yield
an improvement.

In the end, the “vegan” has to retreat to the nastiest, vilest position
of all: “I’m doing better than you meat eaters.” That makes virtue into
a comparison with others, and that is morally repugnant. It also isn’t
true, and it also yields perverse results. The claim is morally
repugnant because virtue never consists in comparing one's behavior with
others; it consists solely in doing what is right. It isn’t true
because it is possible, as I said, to follow a meat-including diet that
is lower harm than the typical “vegan” diet. The perversion comes from
observing that even if the “vegan” is causing less harm than an
omnivore, his criterion for determining virtue would allow him to
INCREASE the amount of harm he causes to animals, but as long as it
remains less than that of omnivores, he would pronounce himself still
virtuous. How can increasing the harm one causes to animals be called
virtuous?

“Veganism” is bullshit through and through. It is a false moral pose
based wholly on self-exaltation.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 8, 2:40*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

<nothing that made any sense at all>

Have you found any of the choice cuts from the EXTRA livestock,
Gooberdoodle?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 8, 10:40*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> “Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
> response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
> is an ethical problem in the human use of animals per se, and 2) the
> response is ethically empty.

People who are confronted with the facts about what actually happens
to animals who are used for human ends generally do agree that there
is a fairly serious ethical problem with it.

> All “vegans” start by committing a logical fallacy, the fallacy of
> denying the antecedent:
>
> * * * If I consume animal parts, I cause the suffering and death of animals.
>
> * * * I do not consume any animal parts;
>
> * * * therefore, I do not cause the suffering and death of animals.

That's not true. I am someone who went vegan while fully aware that
this did not mean that suffering and death was not caused in order to
produce my food. There must be many more like me.

> The conclusion is wrong because consuming animal parts is not the only
> way in which animals are caused to suffer and die. Crop agriculture
> kills and maims uncounted millions of wild animals of the field –
> usually not as large as the largest livestock, but millions of bird,
> reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals; even animals as large as deer
> are routinely killed by crop machinery. So, the conclusion is false.
>
> All “vegans” also begin by saying they live a “cruelty free
> ‘lifestyle’”, but this is also bullshit, due to the fact of animal
> collateral deaths elaborated above. Most “vegans” retreat from that
> position to the weaker claim that they at least “minimize” animal
> suffering and death, but that is also bullshit. To minimize, they must
> count, and no one does that. It is conceivable to follow a
> meat-including diet that actually causes less harm to animals than the
> typical “vegan” diet, but even if one looks only at “vegan” diets, it is
> obvious that some food crops cause less harm than others; unless a
> “vegan” excludes everything but the least-harm vegetables from his diet,
> he cannot be said to be minimizing the harm he causes.

But it is not possible at present to get reliable information about
the different amounts of harm caused by the different food crops, and
there is no reason to think that doing the research so that reliable
information becomes available would be a wise investment of time and
resources from the point of view of reducing suffering.

> The next retreat is to the claim of “doing the best I can,” but again
> that is bullshit, for the same reason: unless one has undertaken to
> measure the harm, it is unlikely one is doing the best one can; there
> must be *some* change, say less rice and more soybeans, that would yield
> an improvement.

There might be some changes that would yield an improvement in my diet
but there is no reason to think that it is within my power to find out
what they are unless I quit my job and take up full-time research into
the problem.

It is reasonable for me to claim that I am doing the best I can given
that I am going to stay employed in my current job.

> In the end, the “vegan” has to retreat to the nastiest, vilest position
> of all: “I’m doing better than you meat eaters.” That makes virtue into
> a comparison with others,

Why?

Vegans *do* generally do better than most meat eaters from the point
of view of reducing harm. To point out this fact is not to make any
claims about what is and is not virtuous.

What evidence do you have that any vegan ever claimed to be virtuous
*simply because* they were doing better than most meat eaters?

> and that is morally repugnant.

It's not really all that morally repugnant, just incorrect.

> It also isn’t
> true, and it also yields perverse results. The claim is morally
> repugnant because virtue never consists in comparing one's behavior with
> others; it consists solely in doing what is right.

That is true. And you have no especially good reason to think that
vegans are not simply trying to do the best they can from the point of
view of reducing suffering, without having any interest in comparing
themselves to how others are doing.

> It isn’t true
> because it is possible, as I said, to follow a meat-including diet that
> is lower harm than the typical “vegan” diet.

This is possible but you've never really demonstrated this claim. If
someone who ate meat was reducing suffering just as much as the
typical vegan, then the vegan shouldn't claim to be reducing suffering
more than that meat-eater, and you have no evidence to show that any
vegan ever did make such an erroneous claim.

> The perversion comes from
> observing that even if the “vegan” is causing less harm than an
> omnivore, his criterion for determining virtue would allow him to
> INCREASE the amount of harm he causes to animals, but as long as it
> remains less than that of omnivores, he would pronounce himself still
> virtuous.

You have no good reason for thinking so. This is a straw man that you
made up.

> How can increasing the harm one causes to animals be called
> virtuous?
>
> “Veganism” is bullshit through and through. It is a false moral pose
> based wholly on self-exaltation.

Plenty of people are vegan simply because they want to try to reduce
suffering, myself included. You've given no good reason why that is a
bad or irrational thing to do.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/8/2012 10:38 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 8, 10:40 pm, George > wrote:
>> “Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
>> response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
>> is an ethical problem in the human use of animals per se, and 2) the
>> response is ethically empty.
>>

> People who are confronted with the facts about what actually happens
> to animals who are used for human ends generally do agree that there
> is a fairly serious ethical problem with it.

There is no inherent ethical problem concerning the human use of animals
per se.

>> All “vegans” start by committing a logical fallacy, the fallacy of
>> denying the antecedent:
>>
>> If I consume animal parts, I cause the suffering and death of animals.
>>
>> I do not consume any animal parts;
>>
>> therefore, I do not cause the suffering and death of animals.
>>

> That's not true.

It is true.

>> The conclusion is wrong because consuming animal parts is not the only
>> way in which animals are caused to suffer and die. Crop agriculture
>> kills and maims uncounted millions of wild animals of the field –
>> usually not as large as the largest livestock, but millions of bird,
>> reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals; even animals as large as deer
>> are routinely killed by crop machinery. So, the conclusion is false.
>>
>> All “vegans” also begin by saying they live a “cruelty free
>> ‘lifestyle’”, but this is also bullshit, due to the fact of animal
>> collateral deaths elaborated above. Most “vegans” retreat from that
>> position to the weaker claim that they at least “minimize” animal
>> suffering and death, but that is also bullshit. To minimize, they must
>> count, and no one does that. It is conceivable to follow a
>> meat-including diet that actually causes less harm to animals than the
>> typical “vegan” diet, but even if one looks only at “vegan” diets, it is
>> obvious that some food crops cause less harm than others; unless a
>> “vegan” excludes everything but the least-harm vegetables from his diet,
>> he cannot be said to be minimizing the harm he causes.
>>

> But it is not possible at present to get reliable information about
> the different amounts of harm caused by the different food crops,

Irrelevant. If the data aren't there, no claim about "minimizing can
validly be made.

"vegans" make no effort to obtain that information.

>> The next retreat is to the claim of “doing the best I can,” but again
>> that is bullshit, for the same reason: unless one has undertaken to
>> measure the harm, it is unlikely one is doing the best one can; there
>> must be *some* change, say less rice and more soybeans, that would yield
>> an improvement.
>>

> There might be some changes that would yield an improvement in my diet
> but there is no reason to think that it is within my power to find out
> what they are unless I quit my job and take up full-time research into
> the problem.

That's a lie. You could do *something* to try to learn about lower CD
vegetables, but you do nothing, and you use this bullshit about "I'd
have to quit my job" as a catch-all excuse.

>> In the end, the “vegan” has to retreat to the nastiest, vilest position
>> of all: “I’m doing better than you meat eaters.” That makes virtue into
>> a comparison with others,

> Why?

What does "I'm doing better than you meat eaters" mean, idiot?

> Vegans *do* generally do better than most meat eaters from the point
> of view of reducing harm.

Not proved, but that's not the point. Declaring oneself virtuous
*solely* because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong than
others is itself immoral.

Just because you sodomize the 8-year-old child next door "only" three
times a week while your brother sodomizes the child 10 times doesn't
mean you're virtuous. The only way you can be virtuous with respect to
that is not to sodomize the boy ever.

>> and that is morally repugnant.

> It's not really all that morally repugnant, just incorrect.

It is repugnant to any right-thinking person.

>> It also isn’t
>> true, and it also yields perverse results. The claim is morally
>> repugnant because virtue never consists in comparing one's behavior with
>> others; it consists solely in doing what is right.

> That is true.

But "vegans" violate it. They declare themselves virtuous because they
believe they do less of something wrong, when the only correct amount of
something that is flatly wrong is zero.

>> It isn’t true
>> because it is possible, as I said, to follow a meat-including diet that
>> is lower harm than the typical “vegan” diet.

> This is possible

Yes.

>> The perversion comes from
>> observing that even if the “vegan” is causing less harm than an
>> omnivore, his criterion for determining virtue would allow him to
>> INCREASE the amount of harm he causes to animals, but as long as it
>> remains less than that of omnivores, he would pronounce himself still
>> virtuous.

> You have no good reason for thinking so.

I do. It is intrinsic to the "vegan" claim of virtue. Given that she
sanctimoniously declares herself virtuous for allegedly causing less
harm to animals, why wouldn't the "vegan" continue to declare herself
virtuous if her CD toll rose, as long as it remains below what she
imagines to be the death toll for omnivores?

In fact, that is exactly what she'd do. And it *is*, of course, a given
that the "vegan" declares herself virtuous for supposedly causing less
animal death and suffering. Your good buddy "glen" or "mark" or
whatever the **** his name really is, is a prime example.

>> How can increasing the harm one causes to animals be called
>> virtuous?
>>
>> “Veganism” is bullshit through and through. It is a false moral pose
>> based wholly on self-exaltation.

> Plenty of people are vegan simply because they want to try to reduce
> suffering, myself included.

You have no valid reason for believing it does so.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 9, 8:03*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 10:38 PM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On Mar 8, 10:40 pm, George > *wrote:
> >> “Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
> >> response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
> >> is an ethical problem in the human use of animals per se, and 2) the
> >> response is ethically empty.

> > People who are confronted with the facts about what actually happens
> > to animals who are used for human ends generally do agree that there
> > is a fairly serious ethical problem with it.

> There is no inherent ethical problem concerning the human use of animals
> per se.

So you claim. That is a matter which is disputed by reasonable people.
In any event it looks as though you don't wish to contradict the
statement that I made.

> >> All “vegans” start by committing a logical fallacy, the fallacy of
> >> denying the antecedent:

> >> * * * *If I consume animal parts, I cause the suffering and death of animals.

> >> * * * *I do not consume any animal parts;

> >> * * * *therefore, I do not cause the suffering and death of animals.

> > That's not true.

> It is true.

How do you know?

> >> The conclusion is wrong because consuming animal parts is not the only
> >> way in which animals are caused to suffer and die. Crop agriculture
> >> kills and maims uncounted millions of wild animals of the field –
> >> usually not as large as the largest livestock, but millions of bird,
> >> reptiles, amphibians, and small mammals; even animals as large as deer
> >> are routinely killed by crop machinery. So, the conclusion is false.

> >> All “vegans” also begin by saying they live a “cruelty free
> >> ‘lifestyle’”, but this is also bullshit, due to the fact of animal
> >> collateral deaths elaborated above. Most “vegans” retreat from that
> >> position to the weaker claim that they at least “minimize” animal
> >> suffering and death, but that is also bullshit. To minimize, they must
> >> count, and no one does that. It is conceivable to follow a
> >> meat-including diet that actually causes less harm to animals than the
> >> typical “vegan” diet, but even if one looks only at “vegan” diets, it is
> >> obvious that some food crops cause less harm than others; unless a
> >> “vegan” excludes everything but the least-harm vegetables from his diet,
> >> he cannot be said to be minimizing the harm he causes.

> > But it is not possible at present to get reliable information about
> > the different amounts of harm caused by the different food crops,

> Irrelevant. *If the data aren't there, no claim about "minimizing can
> validly be made.

You can make a claim that you are doing the best you can, given the
limited information available and limited resources you have to gather
further information, to follow a diet that minimises the expected
contribution to suffering and premature death, relative to your
epistemic situation, given that you don't wish to make extreme
sacrifices like quitting your job and growing all your own food.
That's what I believe I'm doing. If you don't agree, the only reason I
would be interested is if you can actually offer constructive
suggestions for how I could be doing better.

> "vegans" make no effort to obtain that information.

Some do, some don't. Those that try to do it generally find that no
reliable information is available at the moment.

> >> The next retreat is to the claim of “doing the best I can,” but again
> >> that is bullshit, for the same reason: unless one has undertaken to
> >> measure the harm, it is unlikely one is doing the best one can; there
> >> must be *some* change, say less rice and more soybeans, that would yield
> >> an improvement.

> > There might be some changes that would yield an improvement in my diet
> > but there is no reason to think that it is within my power to find out
> > what they are unless I quit my job and take up full-time research into
> > the problem.

> That's a lie. *You could do *something* to try to learn about lower CD
> vegetables, but you do nothing, and you use this bullshit about "I'd
> have to quit my job" as a catch-all excuse.

I do do something. I use Google to try to find studies that have been
done on the matter and talk about the issues on discussion forums with
other people who are interested in the question of trying to reduce
suffering.

You don't have any idea of what I do or do not do. Why do you suppose
you do?

> >> In the end, the “vegan” has to retreat to the nastiest, vilest position
> >> of all: “I’m doing better than you meat eaters.” That makes virtue into
> >> a comparison with others,

> > Why?

> What does "I'm doing better than you meat eaters" mean, idiot?

Exactly what it says. Note that no reference to virtue is made.

> > Vegans *do* generally do better than most meat eaters from the point
> > of view of reducing harm.

> Not proved, but that's not the point. *Declaring oneself virtuous
> *solely* because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong than
> others is itself immoral.

But that is not what was in question here. Making an assertion about a
nonmoral fact (or an alleged nonmoral fact if you prefer to call it
that), is not making any claim to be virtuous.

I am also not especially convinced that declaring oneself to be
virtuous solely because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong
than others is immoral, I just think it's incorrect. But the point is
moot, because you have offered no good evidence that anyone is doing
that.

> Just because you sodomize the 8-year-old child next door "only" three
> times a week while your brother sodomizes the child 10 times doesn't
> mean you're virtuous. *The only way you can be virtuous with respect to
> that is not to sodomize the boy ever.

Quite. So that establishes that making the claim is incorrect. I don't
believe anyone's ever argued with you there.

> >> and that is morally repugnant.

> > It's not really all that morally repugnant, just incorrect.

> It is repugnant to any right-thinking person.

Do you have any arguments to offer for this point of view?

> >> It also isn’t
> >> true, and it also yields perverse results. The claim is morally
> >> repugnant because virtue never consists in comparing one's behavior with
> >> others; it consists solely in doing what is right.

> > That is true.

> But "vegans" violate it. *They declare themselves virtuous because they
> believe they do less of something wrong, when the only correct amount of
> something that is flatly wrong is zero.

Do you have the least shred of evidence that vegans declare themselves
to be virtuous?

> >> It isn’t true
> >> because it is possible, as I said, to follow a meat-including diet that
> >> is lower harm than the typical “vegan” diet.

> > This is possible

> Yes.
>
> >> The perversion comes from
> >> observing that even if the “vegan” is causing less harm than an
> >> omnivore, his criterion for determining virtue would allow him to
> >> INCREASE the amount of harm he causes to animals, but as long as it
> >> remains less than that of omnivores, he would pronounce himself still
> >> virtuous.

> > You have no good reason for thinking so.

> I do. *It is intrinsic to the "vegan" claim of virtue.

What vegan claim of virtue? That's the point; where's the evidence
that this claim you keep talking about has ever actually been made?

> Given that she
> sanctimoniously declares herself virtuous for allegedly causing less
> harm to animals, why wouldn't the "vegan" continue to declare herself
> virtuous if her CD toll rose, as long as it remains below what she
> imagines to be the death toll for omnivores?

I'm not aware of any evidence that any vegan has ever declared
themselves to be virtuous. I think it's entirely the product of your
imagination.

> In fact, that is exactly what she'd do. *And it *is*, of course, a given
> that the "vegan" declares herself virtuous for supposedly causing less
> animal death and suffering.

And why would that be?

>*Your good buddy "glen" or "mark" or
> whatever the **** his name really is, is a prime example.

I don't know where you got the idea that he's my good buddy, I've only
just met him. He seems to have the idea that there is some moral wrong
in which you are engaged which he is refraining from altogether. I
doubt that he can defend this claim, but that's between you and him.
However, it would not be correct to characterise his view as being
that he is virtuous just because he causes less suffering. If he
wanted to put forward a claim that he was virtuous (and I haven't seen
him do that) he would defend it on some other grounds.

> >> How can increasing the harm one causes to animals be called
> >> virtuous?

> >> “Veganism” is bullshit through and through. It is a false moral pose
> >> based wholly on self-exaltation.

> > Plenty of people are vegan simply because they want to try to reduce
> > suffering, myself included.

> You have no valid reason for believing it does so.

I think I do. I think that I have read reliable information about the
suffering that animals endure on modern factory farms, as well as
having been in some myself and also viewed a lot of video footage of
factory farms and slaughterhouses, and I think I have good reason to
believe that modern animal farming causes a lot of suffering.
Furthermore I think I also have good reason to believe that, in the
case of most animal food products, more crop production is required,
and therefore more CDs from crop production, in order to produce a
serving of the animal food product than in order to produce a
calorically equivalent serving of plant-based food product. There may
be some exceptions, rice may involve a lot of harm, for example, and
grass-fed beef not very much, although it may be difficult to be sure
that any beef you buy is really 100% grass-fed. I think that I have
good reason to believe that being vegan is a good way to reduce the
amount of suffering and premature death required to produce my food. I
also think that there is not a lot I could do to make any further
reduction, short of making extreme sacrifices like quitting my job and
joining a commune.

If you think that I am mistaken about this then perhaps you can show
me where I've gone wrong.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/8/2012 11:29 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 9, 8:03 am, George > wrote:

>>> People who are confronted with the facts about what actually happens
>>> to animals who are used for human ends generally do agree that there
>>> is a fairly serious ethical problem with it.

>> There is no inherent ethical problem concerning the human use of animals
>> per se.
>>

> So you claim.

It's so.

Not you nor anyone else has ever shown the contrary.

>>> That's not true.

>> It is true.
>>

> How do you know?

I've seen it from every "vegan".

>>> But it is not possible at present to get reliable information about
>>> the different amounts of harm caused by the different food crops,

>> Irrelevant. If the data aren't there, no claim about "minimizing can
>> validly be made.
>>

> You can make a claim that you are doing the best you can, given the
> limited information available and limited resources you have to gather
> further information,

No.

>> "vegans" make no effort to obtain that information.
>>

> Some do, some don't.

None do.

>>> There might be some changes that would yield an improvement in my diet
>>> but there is no reason to think that it is within my power to find out
>>> what they are unless I quit my job and take up full-time research into
>>> the problem.

>> That's a lie. You could do *something* to try to learn about lower CD
>> vegetables, but you do nothing, and you use this bullshit about "I'd
>> have to quit my job" as a catch-all excuse.
>>

> I do do something.

You do nothing.

>>> Why?

>> What does "I'm doing better than you meat eaters" mean, idiot?
>>

> Exactly what it says. Note that no reference to virtue is made.

It's the entire reason for saying "I'm doing better than you meat
eaters", you ****ing retard. From the very beginning, *all* "vegans"
are looking to declare their virtue. They're declaring it when they
dishonestly say they live "cruelty free 'lifestyles'." They're
declaring it when they say they're "minimizing." They're declaring it
when they say they're "doing the best they can." And they're declaring
it when they say "I'm doing better than you."

The *entire* ****ing charade is about declaring themselves virtuous, you
stupid ****.

It is *exactly* what is in question *HERE*, you ****ing ****.

> I am also not especially convinced that declaring oneself to be
> virtuous solely because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong
> than others is immoral,

It is.

That stupid **** Skanky did.

>>> It's not really all that morally repugnant, just incorrect.

>> It is repugnant to any right-thinking person.

>>> That is true.

>> But "vegans" violate it. They declare themselves virtuous because they
>> believe they do less of something wrong, when the only correct amount of
>> something that is flatly wrong is zero.
>>

> Do you have the least shred of evidence that vegans declare themselves
> to be virtuous?

HA HA HA HA HA! Good one, Woopert. I needed that laugh.

The one that underlies the whole ****ing agenda, you ****. The one that
**** "glen/mark" just made this week.

>> Given that she
>> sanctimoniously declares herself virtuous for allegedly causing less
>> harm to animals, why wouldn't the "vegan" continue to declare herself
>> virtuous if her CD toll rose, as long as it remains below what she
>> imagines to be the death toll for omnivores?
>>

> I'm not aware of any evidence that any vegan has ever declared
> themselves to be virtuous.

It's intrinsic to the entire bullshit proposition.

Because that's what drew these ****s to "veganism" in the first place.

>> Your good buddy "glen" or "mark" or
>> whatever the **** his name really is, is a prime example.
>>

> I don't know where you got the idea that he's my good buddy

Stop with the denial.

>>> Plenty of people are vegan simply because they want to try to reduce
>>> suffering, myself included.

>> You have no valid reason for believing it does so.

> I think I do.

You don't.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 9, 8:48*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 11:29 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> There is no inherent ethical problem concerning the human use of animals
> >> per se.

> > So you claim.

> It's so.
>
> Not you nor anyone else has ever shown the contrary.

> >> It is true.

> > How do you know?

> I've seen it from every "vegan".

Not from me you haven't.

> >> Irrelevant. *If the data aren't there, no claim about "minimizing can
> >> validly be made.

> > You can make a claim that you are doing the best you can, given the
> > limited information available and limited resources you have to gather
> > further information,

> No.

Why not?

> >> "vegans" make no effort to obtain that information.

> > Some do, some don't.

> None do.

How do you know?

> >> That's a lie. *You could do *something* to try to learn about lower CD
> >> vegetables, but you do nothing, and you use this bullshit about "I'd
> >> have to quit my job" as a catch-all excuse.

> > I do do something.

> You do nothing.

How could you possibly know, and why do you suppose anyone would be
interested in your pronouncements about the matter which are obviously
not made on the basis of adequate information?

> >> What does "I'm doing better than you meat eaters" mean, idiot?

> > Exactly what it says. Note that no reference to virtue is made.

> It's the entire reason for saying "I'm doing better than you meat
> eaters", you ****ing retard. *From the very beginning, *all* "vegans"
> are looking to declare their virtue. *They're declaring it when they
> dishonestly say they live "cruelty free 'lifestyles'." *They're
> declaring it when they say they're "minimizing." *They're declaring it
> when they say they're "doing the best they can." *And they're declaring
> it when they say "I'm doing better than you."
>
> The *entire* ****ing charade is about declaring themselves virtuous, you
> stupid ****.

Has it occurred to you that they might just be interested in trying to
reduce animal suffering, and that they're not really all that
interested in the question of whether they're more virtuous than you
or not, although you certainly seem to be?

> >> Not proved, but that's not the point. *Declaring oneself virtuous
> >> *solely* because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong than
> >> others is itself immoral.

> > But that is not what was in question here.

> It is *exactly* what is in question *HERE*, you ****ing ****.

You've offered no evidence that anyone's declared themselves virtuous.
Obviously this idea you have that vegans want to declare themselves
more virtuous than you is what bugs you about the whole thing, but
there is no good reason to think that any vegan is interested in that
issue. Vegans are interested in trying to make efforts to reduce
animal suffering and persuade others to do likewise.

> > I am also not especially convinced that declaring oneself to be
> > virtuous solely because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong
> > than others is immoral,

> It is.

I am not aware of any reason why I should take any interest in
completely unargued assertions from you.

> >> Just because you sodomize the 8-year-old child next door "only" three
> >> times a week while your brother sodomizes the child 10 times doesn't
> >> mean you're virtuous. *The only way you can be virtuous with respect to
> >> that is not to sodomize the boy ever.

> > Quite. So that establishes that making the claim is incorrect. I don't
> > believe anyone's ever argued with you there.

> That stupid **** Skanky did.

Fascinating.

> >> It is repugnant to any right-thinking person.

> >> But "vegans" violate it. *They declare themselves virtuous because they
> >> believe they do less of something wrong, when the only correct amount of
> >> something that is flatly wrong is zero.

> > Do you have the least shred of evidence that vegans declare themselves
> > to be virtuous?

> HA HA HA HA HA! * Good one, Woopert. *I needed that laugh.

> >> Yes.

> >> I do. *It is intrinsic to the "vegan" claim of virtue.

> > What vegan claim of virtue

> The one that underlies the whole ****ing agenda, you ****. *The one that
> **** "glen/mark" just made this week.

I must have missed it.

I really am not aware of any evidence that vegans have any interest in
proving themselves to be virtuous. I think they are interested in
trying to do something about animal suffering. Your constant
declarations otherwise strike me as without rational foundation.

> >> Given that she
> >> sanctimoniously declares herself virtuous for allegedly causing less
> >> harm to animals, why wouldn't the "vegan" continue to declare herself
> >> virtuous if her CD toll rose, as long as it remains below what she
> >> imagines to be the death toll for omnivores?

> > I'm not aware of any evidence that any vegan has ever declared
> > themselves to be virtuous.

> It's intrinsic to the entire bullshit proposition.
>
> >> In fact, that is exactly what she'd do. *And it *is*, of course, a given
> >> that the "vegan" declares herself virtuous for supposedly causing less
> >> animal death and suffering.

> > And why would that be?

> Because that's what drew these ****s to "veganism" in the first place.

The initial interest in veganism is obviously motivated by concern
about animal suffering. It's utterly absurd to suppose otherwise.

> >> * Your good buddy "glen" or "mark" or
> >> whatever the **** his name really is, is a prime example.

> > I don't know where you got the idea that he's my good buddy

> Stop with the denial.

He's obviously not my good buddy, you stupid fool. He's someone I met
about a week ago, who happens to be a vegan like me, with whom I have
some significant points of disagreement, and about whom I have no
strong feelings one way or the other. Do you suppose that Derek is my
good buddy just because he is a vegan?

> >> You have no valid reason for believing it does so.

> > I think I do.

> You don't.

Are you able to offer reasons for thinking that I am mistaken?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/8/2012 11:59 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 9, 8:48 am, George > wrote:

>>> So you claim.

>> It's so.
>>
>> Not you nor anyone else has ever shown the contrary.

>>> How do you know?

>> I've seen it from every "vegan".
>>

> Not from me you haven't.

I sure have. It's like traces of the Big Bang: still detectable even
though it occurred long in the past.

>>> You can make a claim that you are doing the best you can, given the
>>> limited information available and limited resources you have to gather
>>> further information,

>> No.
>>

> Why not?

Why would you be able to? I've already shown that you're not, that you
don't even wish to do so.

>>> Some do, some don't.

>> None do.
>>

> How do you know?

They tell me.

Do you mean to tell me you think some might have done, but they wouldn't
be so kind as to share the information with the rest of you ****wits?

>>> I do do something.

>> You do nothing.
>>

> How could you possibly know,

You tell me. You've already explained that any effort whatever would
take you away from the things you prefer to do with your time.

>>> Exactly what it says. Note that no reference to virtue is made.

>> It's the entire reason for saying "I'm doing better than you meat
>> eaters", you ****ing retard. From the very beginning, *all* "vegans"
>> are looking to declare their virtue. They're declaring it when they
>> dishonestly say they live "cruelty free 'lifestyles'." They're
>> declaring it when they say they're "minimizing." They're declaring it
>> when they say they're "doing the best they can." And they're declaring
>> it when they say "I'm doing better than you."
>>
>> The *entire* ****ing charade is about declaring themselves virtuous, you
>> stupid ****.
>>

> Has it occurred to you that they might just be interested in trying to
> reduce animal suffering

They aren't. It's about trying to put themselves on a fake moral
pedestal, and using a sham about reducing suffering as the justification.

>>> But that is not what was in question here.

>> It is *exactly* what is in question *HERE*, you ****ing ****.
>>

> You've offered no evidence that anyone's declared themselves virtuous.

Of course I have. I have identified people by name who come here and do
that. This most recent shitbag, "glen/mark", is an example.

>>> I am also not especially convinced that declaring oneself to be
>>> virtuous solely because one is allegedly doing less of something wrong
>>> than others is immoral,

>> It is.
>>

> I am not aware of any reason why I should take any interest in
> completely unargued assertions from you.

But you will, rupie - you will! You always do.

>>> Quite. So that establishes that making the claim is incorrect. I don't
>>> believe anyone's ever argued with you there.

>> That stupid **** Skanky did.
>>

> Fascinating.

Not really. Skanky the car-less parasitic pothead really did believe
that there were degrees of wrongness, and that it was "more wrong" to
sodomize the child more often. Quite clearly, "vegans" generally
believe that.

>>> Do you have the least shred of evidence that vegans declare themselves
>>> to be virtuous?

>> HA HA HA HA HA! Good one, Woopert. I needed that laugh.

>>> What vegan claim of virtue

>> The one that underlies the whole ****ing agenda, you ****. The one that
>> **** "glen/mark" just made this week.
>>

> I must have missed it.

You miss all the important stuff.

>>> I'm not aware of any evidence that any vegan has ever declared
>>> themselves to be virtuous.

>> It's intrinsic to the entire bullshit proposition.

>>> And why would that be?

>> Because that's what drew these ****s to "veganism" in the first place.
>>

> The initial interest in veganism is obviously motivated by concern
> about animal suffering.

It's not. It's motivated by a childish personification of animals.

>>> I don't know where you got the idea that he's my good buddy

>> Stop with the denial.
>>

> He's obviously not my good buddy,

Oh, but he is!

>>> I think I do.

>> You don't.

> Are you able to offer reasons for thinking that I am mistaken?

Given already.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 9, 5:12*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 11:59 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It's so.

> >> Not you nor anyone else has ever shown the contrary.

> >> I've seen it from every "vegan".

> > Not from me you haven't.

> I sure have. *It's like traces of the Big Bang: *still detectable even
> though it occurred long in the past.

> >> No.

> > Why not?

> Why would you be able to? *I've already shown that you're not, that you
> don't even wish to do so.

You haven't shown any such thing.

It's not possible for you to demonstrate what I do or don't do, Ball.
You don't have any way of having any insight into the matter. You need
to get a better grip on reality.

> >> None do.

> > How do you know?

> They tell me.
>
> Do you mean to tell me you think some might have done, but they wouldn't
> be so kind as to share the information with the rest of you ****wits?

I know that I have made some effort to obtain the information and some
other people I have met on the Internet have as well. I have every
reason to believe that there a large number of other vegans out there
whom I have never met who have also done so.

> >> You do nothing.

> > How could you possibly know,

> You tell me. *You've already explained that any effort whatever would
> take you away from the things you prefer to do with your time.

Wrong. I have not told you any such thing.

> >> It's the entire reason for saying "I'm doing better than you meat
> >> eaters", you ****ing retard. *From the very beginning, *all* "vegans"
> >> are looking to declare their virtue. *They're declaring it when they
> >> dishonestly say they live "cruelty free 'lifestyles'." *They're
> >> declaring it when they say they're "minimizing." *They're declaring it
> >> when they say they're "doing the best they can." *And they're declaring
> >> it when they say "I'm doing better than you."

> >> The *entire* ****ing charade is about declaring themselves virtuous, you
> >> stupid ****.

> > Has it occurred to you that they might just be interested in trying to
> > reduce animal suffering

> They aren't. *It's about trying to put themselves on a fake moral
> pedestal, and using a sham about reducing suffering as the justification.

So you apparently desperately want to believe for some reason.

> >> It is *exactly* what is in question *HERE*, you ****ing ****.

> > You've offered no evidence that anyone's declared themselves virtuous.

> Of course I have. *I have identified people by name who come here and do
> that. *This most recent shitbag, "glen/mark", is an example.

Where did Glen declare himself to be virtuous?

> >> It is.

> > I am not aware of any reason why I should take any interest in
> > completely unargued assertions from you.

> But you will, rupie - you will! *You always do.

> >> That stupid **** Skanky did.

> > Fascinating.

> Not really. *Skanky the car-less parasitic pothead really did believe
> that there were degrees of wrongness, and that it was "more wrong" to
> sodomize the child more often. *Quite clearly, "vegans" generally
> believe that.

There are degrees of wrongness, and it is more wrong to sodomise the
child more often, and Adolf Hitler's conduct was even more wrong
still. This is completely obvious. It is also completely obvious that
this does not mean that the person who sodomises the child less often
is virtuous, and Skunky almost certainly realised that. Once again,
you demonstrate your incapacity to represent people's views
correctly.

> >> HA HA HA HA HA! * Good one, Woopert. *I needed that laugh.

> >> The one that underlies the whole ****ing agenda, you ****. *The one that
> >> **** "glen/mark" just made this week.

> > I must have missed it.

> You miss all the important stuff.

> >> It's intrinsic to the entire bullshit proposition.

> >> Because that's what drew these ****s to "veganism" in the first place.

> > The initial interest in veganism is obviously motivated by concern
> > about animal suffering.

> It's not. *It's motivated by a childish personification of animals.

As I have said before, you strike me as an extremely irrational
person.

> >> Stop with the denial.

> > He's obviously not my good buddy,

> Oh, but he is!

Well, we can certainly be sure that you're not going to let go of this
idea, which is obviously without the slightest rational foundation.

> >> You don't.

> > Are you able to offer reasons for thinking that I am mistaken?

> Given already.

Where?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/10/2012 1:00 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 9, 5:12 pm, George > wrote:

>>> Not from me you haven't.

>> I sure have. It's like traces of the Big Bang: still detectable even
>> though it occurred long in the past.

>>> Why not?

>> Why would you be able to? I've already shown that you're not, that you
>> don't even wish to do so.
>>

> You haven't shown any such thing.

I have.

>>> How do you know?

>> They tell me.
>>
>> Do you mean to tell me you think some might have done, but they wouldn't
>> be so kind as to share the information with the rest of you ****wits?
>>

> I know that I have made some effort to obtain the information

No, you haven't. You've asked Dutch and me, and even ****wit, to get it
for you.

>>> How could you possibly know,

>> You tell me. You've already explained that any effort whatever would
>> take you away from the things you prefer to do with your time.
>>

> Wrong.

No, it's right.

>>> Has it occurred to you that they might just be interested in trying to
>>> reduce animal suffering

>> They aren't. It's about trying to put themselves on a fake moral
>> pedestal, and using a sham about reducing suffering as the justification.
>>

> So you apparently want to believe

Because it is true.

>>> You've offered no evidence that anyone's declared themselves virtuous.

>> Of course I have. I have identified people by name who come here and do
>> that. This most recent shitbag, "glen/mark", is an example.
>>

> Where did Glen declare himself to be virtuous?

In one of his later posts, when he said he lived a "cruelty free
'lifestyle'."

>>> I am not aware of any reason why I should take any interest in
>>> completely unargued assertions from you.

>> But you will, rupie - you will! You always do.

>>> Fascinating.

>> Not really. Skanky the car-less parasitic pothead really did believe
>> that there were degrees of wrongness, and that it was "more wrong" to
>> sodomize the child more often. Quite clearly, "vegans" generally
>> believe that.
>>

> There are degrees of wrongness,

There are not. There are degrees of badness, but not wrongness.
Wrongness is binary: something is wrong, or it isn't - full stop.

> and it is more wrong to sodomise the
> child more often,

Nope. It is wrong to sodomize the child, full stop. It is *worse* to
do it more often, but it isn't "more wrong." Don't be an even bigger
dope than you already are.

>>> I must have missed it.

>> You miss all the important stuff.

>>> The initial interest in veganism is obviously motivated by concern
>>> about animal suffering.

>> It's not. It's motivated by a childish personification of animals.
>>

> As I have said before,

It was bullshit before, just as it's bullshit now.

>>> He's obviously not my good buddy,

>> Oh, but he is!
>>

> Well, we can certainly be sure that you're not going to let go of this
> idea,

Not when it's right.

>>> Are you able to offer reasons for thinking that I am mistaken?

>> Given already.

> Where?

a.a.e.v.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 14:58, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/10/2012 1:00 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> I sure have. *It's like traces of the Big Bang: *still detectable even
> >> though it occurred long in the past.

> >> Why would you be able to? *I've already shown that you're not, that you
> >> don't even wish to do so.

> > You haven't shown any such thing.

> I have.

What were the reasons you offered for that conclusion?

> >> They tell me.

> >> Do you mean to tell me you think some might have done, but they wouldn't
> >> be so kind as to share the information with the rest of you ****wits?

> > I know that I have made some effort to obtain the information

> No, you haven't.

Why do you think that you are in a position to know?

> *You've asked Dutch and me, and even ****wit, to get it
> for you.

When you seem to be making the suggestion that there is something more
that I could do, it seems reasonable to ask you to be specific about
what.

> >> You tell me. *You've already explained that any effort whatever would
> >> take you away from the things you prefer to do with your time.

> > Wrong.

> No, it's right.

> >> They aren't. *It's about trying to put themselves on a fake moral
> >> pedestal, and using a sham about reducing suffering as the justification.

> > So you apparently want to believe

> Because it is true.

> >> Of course I have. *I have identified people by name who come here and do
> >> that. *This most recent shitbag, "glen/mark", is an example.

> > Where did Glen declare himself to be virtuous?

> In one of his later posts, when he said he lived a "cruelty free
> 'lifestyle'."

So he didn't declare himself to be virtuous, but he did declare,
incorrectly, that he lived a cruelty-free lifestyle.

> >> But you will, rupie - you will! *You always do.

> >> Not really. *Skanky the car-less parasitic pothead really did believe
> >> that there were degrees of wrongness, and that it was "more wrong" to
> >> sodomize the child more often. *Quite clearly, "vegans" generally
> >> believe that.

> > There are degrees of wrongness,

> There are not. *There are degrees of badness, but not wrongness.
> Wrongness is binary: *something is wrong, or it isn't - full stop.

I don't agree.

> > and it is more wrong to sodomise the
> > child more often,

> Nope. *It is wrong to sodomize the child, full stop. *It is *worse* to
> do it more often, but it isn't "more wrong." *Don't be an even bigger
> dope than you already are.

I don't see any significant distinction between "worse" and "more
wrong", and it looks like you've already indicated that you'd be happy
with "more bad". Seems to me you're just mucking around with words to
no particularly good purpose.

> >> You miss all the important stuff.

> >> It's not. *It's motivated by a childish personification of animals.

> > As I have said before,

> It was bullshit before, just as it's bullshit now.

You reckon?

> >> Oh, but he is!

> > Well, we can certainly be sure that you're not going to let go of this
> > idea,

> Not when it's right.

And also not when it's wrong and obviously ungrounded in the least
shred of evidence.

> >> Given already.

> > Where?

> a.a.e.v.

Actually, you've acknowledged in a.a.e.v., in posts that Derek
frequently quotes, that for most omnivores going vegan does reduce
their expected contribution to suffering.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/10/2012 6:35 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 10 Mrz., 14:58, George > wrote:

>>> You haven't shown any such thing.

>> I have.

> What were the reasons you offered for that conclusion?

>>> I know that I have made some effort to obtain the information

>> No, you haven't.

> Why do you think that you are in a position to know?
>
>> You've asked Dutch and me, and even ****wit, to get it
>> for you.
>>

> When you seem to be making the suggestion that there is something more
> that I could do, it seems reasonable to ask you to be specific about
> what.

>>> Wrong.

>> No, it's right.

>>> So you apparently want to believe

>> Because it is true.

>>> Where did Glen declare himself to be virtuous?

>> In one of his later posts, when he said he lived a "cruelty free
>> 'lifestyle'."
>>

> So he didn't declare himself to be virtuous, but he did declare,
> incorrectly, that he lived a cruelty-free lifestyle.

>>> There are degrees of wrongness,

>> There are not. There are degrees of badness, but not wrongness.
>> Wrongness is binary: something is wrong, or it isn't - full stop.
>>

> I don't agree.
>
>>> and it is more wrong to sodomise the
>>> child more often,

>> Nope. It is wrong to sodomize the child, full stop. It is *worse* to
>> do it more often, but it isn't "more wrong." Don't be an even bigger
>> dope than you already are.
>>

> I don't see any significant distinction between "worse" and "more
> wrong", and it looks like you've already indicated that you'd be happy
> with "more bad". Seems to me you're just mucking around with words to
> no particularly good purpose.

>>> As I have said before,

>> It was bullshit before, just as it's bullshit now.
>>

> You reckon?

Oh, yes, for certain.

>>> Well, we can certainly be sure that you're not going to let go of this
>>> idea,

>> Not when it's right.
>>

> And also not when it's wrong

It isn't wrong.

>>> Where?

>> a.a.e.v.

> Actually, you've acknowledged in a.a.e.v., in posts that Derek
> frequently quotes, that for most omnivores going vegan does reduce
> their expected contribution to suffering.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George Plimpton > wrote:

> >> It was bullshit before, just as it's bullshit now.

> > You reckon?

> Oh, yes, for certain.

So you think that it doesn't strike me as irrational to deny that for
most vegans the initial interest in veganism is motivated by concern
about animal suffering?

> >> Not when it's right.

> > And also not when it's wrong

> It isn't wrong.

How did you first learn that "Glen" is my good buddy?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/10/2012 6:51 AM, Rupert wrote:

>>> You reckon?

>> Oh, yes, for certain.
>>

> So you think that it doesn't strike me as irrational to deny that for
> most vegans the initial interest in veganism is motivated by concern
> about animal suffering?

It's motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of it. *All* they see is
that the meat came from a "cute" animal, and they feel "sad" about it.
"Awww...I'm eating a moo-cow, mommy. Waaaahhhhh!"

>>> And also not when it's wrong

>> It isn't wrong.

> How did you first learn that "Glen" is my good buddy?

He's part of The Side, and you lot stick up for one another.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 10, 4:22*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

> >> Oh, yes, for certain.

> > So you think that it doesn't strike me as irrational to deny that for
> > most vegans the initial interest in veganism is motivated by concern
> > about animal suffering?

> It's motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of it. **All* they see is
> that the meat came from a "cute" animal, and they feel "sad" about it.
> "Awww...I'meating a moo-cow, mommy. *Waaaahhhhh!"

And presumably you would claim that these utterances of yours don't
strike me as irrational.

> >> It isn't wrong.

> > How did you first learn that "Glen" is my good buddy?

> He's part of The Side, and you lot stick up for one another.

Derek doesn't.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/13/2012 1:30 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 10, 4:22 pm, George > wrote:

>>> So you think that it doesn't strike me as irrational to deny that for
>>> most vegans the initial interest in veganism is motivated by concern
>>> about animal suffering?

>> It's motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of it. *All* they see is
>> that the meat came from a "cute" animal, and they feel "sad" about it.
>> "Awww...I'meating a moo-cow, mommy. Waaaahhhhh!"
>>

> And presumably you would claim that these utterances of yours don't
> strike me as irrational.

Of course - they are. I denigrate your fake concern for animals for the
childlike emotional reaction they are.

>>> How did you first learn that "Glen" is my good buddy?

>> He's part of The Side, and you lot stick up for one another.

> Derek doesn't.

Derek is unique.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 13 Mrz., 15:58, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 1:30 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It's motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of it. **All* they see is
> >> that the meat came from a "cute" animal, and they feel "sad" about it.
> >> "Awww...I'meatinga moo-cow, mommy. *Waaaahhhhh!"

> > And presumably you would claim that these utterances of yours don't
> > strike me as irrational.

> Of course - they are. *I denigrate your fake concern for animals for the
> childlike emotional reaction they are.

What evidence do you have that the concern is fake?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/13/2012 8:35 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 13 Mrz., 15:58, George > wrote:

>>> And presumably you would claim that these utterances of yours don't
>>> strike me as irrational.

>> Of course - they are. I denigrate your fake concern for animals for the
>> childlike emotional reaction they are.
>>

> What evidence do you have that the concern is fake?

It's a concern for yourself, not for animals.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 13 Mrz., 17:21, George Plimpton > wrote:

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/13/2012 9:25 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 13 Mrz., 17:21, George > wrote:

>>> What evidence do you have that the concern is fake?

>> It's a concern for yourself, not for animals.

> Why do you think that?

I've shown that often enough over the time you've been participating here.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:40:09 -0800, Goo wrote:

>“Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
>response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
>is an ethical problem

"the "getting to experience life" deserves NO moral
consideration, and is given none; the deliberate killing
of animals for use by humans DOES deserve moral
consideration, and gets it." - Goo

"the moral harm caused by killing them is greater in magnitude
than ANY benefit they might derive from "decent lives" - Goo

""giving them life" does NOT mitigate the wrongness of
their deaths" - Goo

"Life "justifying" death is the
stupidest goddamned thing you ever wrote." - Goo

"NO livestock benefit from being farmed." - Goo

"No farm animals benefit from farming." - Goo

"the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . . the
moral "benefit" realized by the animal in existing at all" - Goo

"There is nothing to "appreciate" about the livestock "getting
to experience life" - Goo

"no matter how "decent" the conditions are, the deliberate killing
of the animals erases all of it." - Goo

"Causing animals to be born and "get to experience life"
(in ****wit's wretched prose) is no mitigation at all for
killing them." - Goo
.. . .
>2) the response is ethically empty.

"People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans".
"Vegans" aren't interested in contributing to lives of any
quality for farm animals: they don't want there to be farm
animals." - Goo

""vegans" are interested in their influence on animals,
****wit. They want everyone to be "vegan", which would
mean no animals raised for food and other products. That's
an influence, whether you like it or not." - Goo

""Veg*nism" certainly doesn't harm any living farm animals.
And if everyone adopted "veg*nism", no farm animals would
live in bad conditions." - Goo

"you MUST believe that it makes moral sense not
to raise the animals as the only way to prevent the harm that
results from killing them." - Goo

"There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals not to
exist as a step towards creating a more just world." - Goo
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

****wit David Harrison - THE Goober - wussed:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:40:09 -0800, George Plimpton helpfully contributed:
>

>> “Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
>> response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
>> is an ethical problem

> "the "getting to experience life" deserves NO moral
> consideration, and is given none; the deliberate killing
> of animals for use by humans DOES deserve moral
> consideration, and gets it." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "the moral harm, *if any*, caused by killing them is greater in magnitude
> than ANY benefit they might derive from "decent lives" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> ""giving them life" does NOT mitigate the wrongness of
> their deaths" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "Life "justifying" death is the
> stupidest goddamned thing you ever wrote." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "NO livestock benefit from being farmed." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "No farm animals benefit from farming." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
> ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . . the
> moral "benefit" realized by the animal in existing at all" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "There is nothing to "appreciate" about the livestock "getting
> to experience life" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "no matter how "decent" the conditions are, the deliberate killing
> of the animals erases all of it." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "Causing animals to be born and "get to experience life"
> (in ****wit's wretched prose) is no mitigation at all for
> killing them." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> . . .
>> 2) the response is ethically empty.

> "People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans".
> "Vegans" aren't interested in contributing to lives of any
> quality for farm animals: they don't want there to be farm
> animals." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> ""vegans" are interested in their influence on animals,
> ****wit. They want everyone to be "vegan", which would
> mean no animals raised for food and other products. That's
> an influence, whether you like it or not." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> ""Veg*nism" certainly doesn't harm any living farm animals.
> And if everyone adopted "veg*nism", no farm animals would
> live in bad conditions." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "you MUST believe that it makes moral sense not
> to raise the animals as the only way to prevent the harm that
> results from killing them." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

> "There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals not to
> exist as a step towards creating a more just world." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 13, 6:42*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 9:25 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It's a concern for yourself, not for animals.

> > Why do you think that?

> I've shown that often enough over the time you've been participating here..

And how do you think you have shown it?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 4:26 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 13, 6:42 pm, George > wrote:

>>> Why do you think that?

>> I've shown that often enough over the time you've been participating here.

> And how do [timewasting]

I've shown it.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 14, 4:04*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 4:26 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> I've shown that often enough over the time you've been participating here.

> > And how do [timewasting]

> I've shown it.

Really?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 12:55 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 14, 4:04 pm, George > wrote:

>>> And how do [timewasting]

>> I've shown it.

> Really?

Yep.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 14, 9:26*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 12:55 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> I've shown it.

> > Really?

> Yep.

And have you convinced me that you've shown it?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 1:28 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 14, 9:26 pm, George > wrote:

>>> Really?

>> Yep.

> And have you convinced me that you've shown it?

I don't really care. You've seen what I have said. Whether or not
you're convinced is immaterial.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Rupert" > wrote in message
> On Mar 14, 9:26 pm, George Plimpton > wrote:

>> > Really?

>> Yep.

> And have you convinced me that you've shown it?

One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 14, 10:04*pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message

> >> Yep.

> > And have you convinced me that you've shown it?

> One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
> detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 14, 9:37*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 1:28 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Yep.

> > And have you convinced me that you've shown it?

> I don't really care. *You've seen what I have said. *Whether or not
> you're convinced is immaterial.

I'm obviously not aware of what arguments you have in mind. Maybe you
could actually answer the question.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

>Rupert" > wrote
> On Mar 14, 10:04 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:

>> One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
>> detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

> Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that belief
is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various forms, such
as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to the "injustice"
position.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 6:51 PM, Dutch wrote:
>> Rupert" > wrote
>> On Mar 14, 10:04 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:

>>> One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
>>> detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

>> Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
> belief is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various
> forms, such as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to
> the "injustice" position.

The shuffle shows that "vegans" are incoherent. They don't have a valid
reason for not consuming animal parts. If it's because they think doing
so violates animals' "rights", they lose: their consumption causes the
violation of animals' rights. Point this out, and they switch to
reducing suffering, but it's possible to follow a meat-including diet
that causes less suffering than the diets most "vegans" follow. Suggest
that they consume meat that involves less suffering than what is caused
by *their* "vegan" diets, and they flip-flop back to the rights argument.

Everything is wrong with what "vegans" claim for themselves *solely* by
reason of not consuming animal parts. They still violate animal rights
in exactly the same way meat consumers do, and any given "vegan" does
not cause less animal suffering than all meat consumers merely by reason
of not consuming animal part - they aren't causing zero harm, they
aren't minimizing, they aren't "doing the best they can", and they're
not even doing better than all meat consumers.

"veganism" is bullshit. It is philosophically bankrupt.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 2:51*am, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >Rupert" > wrote
> > On Mar 14, 10:04 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> >> One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
> >> detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

> > Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that belief
> is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various forms, such
> as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to the "injustice"
> position.

How is that evidence that the motivation for going vegan is not to
help animals?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Mar 15, 4:06*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 6:51 PM, Dutch wrote:
>
> >> Rupert" > wrote

> >> Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

> > The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
> > longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
> > belief is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various
> > forms, such as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to
> > the "injustice" position.

> The shuffle shows that "vegans" are incoherent. *They don't have a valid
> reason for not consuming animal parts. *If it's because they think doing
> so violates animals' "rights", they lose: *their consumption causes the
> violation of animals' rights. *Point this out, and they switch to
> reducing suffering, but it's possible to follow a meat-including diet
> that causes less suffering than the diets most "vegans" follow. *Suggest
> that they consume meat that involves less suffering than what is caused
> by *their* "vegan" diets, and they flip-flop back to the rights argument.

I will gladly switch to consuming meat that involves less suffering
when I am convinced that there is a practical means of doing so. You
have made some suggestions but what's holding me back is that I am not
convinced that they really would involve less suffering.

> Everything is wrong with what "vegans" claim for themselves *solely* by
> reason of not consuming animal parts. *They still violate animal rights
> in exactly the same way meat consumers do, and any given "vegan" does
> not cause less animal suffering than all meat consumers merely by reason
> of not consuming animal part - they aren't causing zero harm, they
> aren't minimizing, they aren't "doing the best they can", and they're
> not even doing better than all meat consumers.

There is no good reason for saying that not "doing the best they can"
given the limited information that is available. You also haven't
pointed out any specific example of a meat consumer who is doing
better than a vegan. For most meat consumers it is very unlikely that
they are doing better than a vegan.

You've given absolutely no good reason at all for thinking that vegans
are not genuinely concerned about animal suffering. You claim you
have, but as usual you can't deliver the goods.

> "veganism" is bullshit. *It is philosophically bankrupt.

Wrong.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 8:32 PM, Rupert wrote:

>>> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
>>> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
>>> belief is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various
>>> forms, such as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to
>>> the "injustice" position.

>> The shuffle shows that "vegans" are incoherent. They don't have a valid
>> reason for not consuming animal parts. If it's because they think doing
>> so violates animals' "rights", they lose: their consumption causes the
>> violation of animals' rights. Point this out, and they switch to
>> reducing suffering, but it's possible to follow a meat-including diet
>> that causes less suffering than the diets most "vegans" follow. Suggest
>> that they consume meat that involves less suffering than what is caused
>> by *their* "vegan" diets, and they flip-flop back to the rights argument.
>>

> I will gladly switch to consuming meat that involves less suffering
> when I am convinced that there is a practical means of doing so.

You aren't honestly open to being convinced of it. You rule it out by
axiomatically.

> You have made some suggestions but what's holding me back is that I
> am not convinced that they really would involve less suffering.

And because of the way you play the game, you will never find out,
because you won't even make an effort to determine how much suffering
you cause. You don't care. You're happy and smugly satisfied that
you're "better" than omnivores.

>> Everything is wrong with what "vegans" claim for themselves *solely* by
>> reason of not consuming animal parts. They still violate animal rights
>> in exactly the same way meat consumers do, and any given "vegan" does
>> not cause less animal suffering than all meat consumers merely by reason
>> of not consuming animal part - they aren't causing zero harm, they
>> aren't minimizing, they aren't "doing the best they can", and they're
>> not even doing better than all meat consumers.
>>

> There is no good reason for saying that not "doing the best they can"
> given the limited information that is available.

They aren't "doing" anything. Their entire conclusion is based on what
they're *not* doing: consuming animal parts. They assume that what
they're not doing is all they need to know. That has been proved not to
be a sound basis for the conclusion.

*Some* improvement could be had for very little effort, but they won't
undertake *any* effort to learn how they might improve. The decision
not to consume animal parts is not the starting point in a quest to
cause less harm - it's the ending point.

> You also haven't
> pointed out any specific example of a meat consumer who is doing
> better than a vegan.

Meat consumers don't make any of the fatuous claims of "vegans". They
don't accept the fake moral issues that "vegans" want to inject into diet.

> For most meat consumers it is very unlikely that
> they are doing better than a vegan.

Why are you comparing yourself with meat consumers to show that you're
virtuous? Don't you know that's invalid?

1. Your diet causes the "rights" of animals to be violated.
2. You almost certainly are not consuming the least-harm "vegan"
diet that you could, let alone the least-harm overall diet.

What does the level of harm caused by "most meat consumers" have to do
with what *you* are doing?

Nothing, that's what.

> You've given absolutely no good reason at all for thinking that vegans
> are not genuinely concerned about animal suffering.

I most certainly have. I have shown beyond all dispute that their
decision not to consume animal parts absolutely does *NOT* lead to the
conclusion they wish to believe, yet they do nothing more than that. It
*can't* be about animal suffering, because they don't do anything after
their assumption has been falsified, which of course it has.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 8:28 PM, Rupert wrote:

>>> Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

>> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
>> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that belief
>> is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various forms, such
>> as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to the "injustice"
>> position.

> How is that evidence that the motivation for going vegan is not to
> help animals?

Nice try, woopert. We're not talking about your alleged initial motive.
What I said is that your supposed concern is fake. The proof of that
is that when it is conclusively demonstrated that the *sole* step you
take - refraining from putting animal parts in your mouth - does not
lead to the conclusion you assumed, you nonetheless stick with it, and
do nothing more.

You began by believing one or both of two things:

1. Refraining from consuming animal parts would mean, necessarily,
that you weren't violating the "rights" of any animals.

2. Refraining from consuming animal parts would mean, necessarily,
that you were causing less harm to animals than *all* meat consumers.

It cannot be doubted or disputed that you believed one or both of these
things. If you didn't, then there could not possibly be any rational
basis for concluding that you ought not put animal parts in your mouth.

It has been shown beyond all dispute that neither is true:

1. The "rights" of animals are routinely violated in the course of
producing the things you consume.

2. Refraining from putting animal parts in your mouth in no way shows
that you are causing less harm than *all* meat consumers.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

"Rupert" > wrote
> On Mar 15, 2:51 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> >Rupert" > wrote

>> > Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

>> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
>> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
>> belief
>> is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various forms,
>> such
>> as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to the
>> "injustice"
>> position.

> How is that evidence that the motivation for going vegan is not to
> help animals?

If the motivation were to help animals then there would be no shifting of
arguments, no angry denials, the response would be one of simply
acknowledging the receipt of new, helpful, constructive information.
You've done that to some extent, but you're not typical either.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 3/14/2012 11:21 PM, Dutch wrote:

>>> The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
>>> longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
>>> belief
>>> is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various
>>> forms, such
>>> as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to the
>>> "injustice"
>>> position.

>> How is that evidence that the motivation for going vegan is not to
>> help animals?

> If the motivation were to help animals then there would be no shifting
> of arguments, no angry denials, the response would be one of simply
> acknowledging the receipt of new, helpful, constructive information.
> You've done that to some extent, but you're not typical either.

I don't think he has done that at all. He has done nothing but quibble,
and complain that the evidence isn't ironclad. There has been complete
opposition to the idea that he is not "doing all he can", instead
invoking vague and utterly solipsistic notions of what's "reasonable" -
that is, whatever he *feels* like doing, not what an objective person
might feel is reasonable.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science