Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.enviornment,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.british

Default Forget Eating Fish - The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated fish is...

Excerpt included:

Forget Eating Fish

The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated
fish is in the United States. We have the dubious distinction of
being the world's largest producer of pesticides. We use 1.1 billion
pounds of pesticides a year -- about five pounds for every member of
the population. This amounts to 30% of the entire world's use. You
may be wondering if any fish are safe. Even for research purposes, it
is impossible now for scientists to find fish anywhere in U.S. waters
which do not carry toxic chemicals in their flesh.

A major study reported in Tufts University's Diet and Nutrition
Letter compared the offspring of 242 women who ate varying amounts of
fish from Lake Michigan. The study found that the more fish the
mothers had eaten, the more their babies showed abnormal reflexes,
general weakness, slower response to stimuli, and various signs of
depression. Even mothers eating the fish two or three times a month
produced babies weighing seven to nine ounces less at birth, with
smaller heads. To learn about contaminated fish in other U.S. waters,
please refer to the sources provided below.

- Pimentel, D., "Pesticides . . ." BioScienc 27, March, 1977

- Pimentel, D., "Realities of a Pesticide Ban" Environment, March,
1973

- Turner, J., "A Chemical Feast: Report on the Food and Drug
Administration," Grossman, 1970

- "Infant Abnormalities Linked to PCB Contaminated Fish" Vegetarian
Times, November, 1984

- Robbins, John, "Diet for A New America" Stillpoint Publishing,
1987, pg. 334

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti