Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default "Angry Brides", Shows High Price of Dowries in India

A take off of the angry birds computer game for indian brides. You can
play it on facebook.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledi...ries-in-india/

A spoof on the wildly popular "Angry Birds" game highlights the serious
issue of dowries in India, building on the potential of Facebook to
foster social awareness.

Dowries, which can include money, jewelry and other family belongings,
serve as the traditional gift the bride's family gives to the groom's
family to contribute to the care of the bride. But sometimes dowries
spark violent clashes between the two as disagreement rages over a
suitable exchange.

"The Angry Brides game is our way of throwing a spotlight on the
nuisance of dowry," Ram Bhamidi, senior vice president and head of
online marketing for Indian marriage site, Shaadi.com.

The Facebook game borrows from "Angry Birds," but instead of hurling
birds across the screen, the player throws household objects such as
shoes, broomsticks, and rolling pins at prospective greedy grooms, in
trying to lower the starting dowries, which begin at 1.5 million
rupees, or just under $30,000. Those who hit the grooms just right are
able to lower the virtual dowry fund amount.