Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics

Default Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree

Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree

By Emma Jacobs
http://innovationtrail.org/people/emma-jacobs
NPR
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Listen to the Story
All Things Considered [2 min 47 sec]
Add to Playlist

Download
http://pd.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/a...tc_16.mp3?dl=1

Transcript
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcr...yId=142594442*

[Caption] Isabella Colbdorf feeds salad to a turkey at this year's
Feeding of the Turkeys ceremony in Watkins Glen, in upstate New York,
on Nov. 20, 2011.

View image he
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011...322066361&s=51

Most people think of turkeys as the centerpiece of the Thanksgiving
meal. But at one farm, the turkeys are the guests.

At the 26th annual Feeding of the Turkeys ceremony in Watkins Glen,
in upstate New York, a line of turkeys come walking out the door of
the barn. They stroll towards long low tables set up on the lawn,
with scarlet tablecloths and seasonal squash centerpieces.

There, a feast awaits. There's pumpkin pie topped with cranberry, and
platters of green salad -- hold the dressing. The spread is
surrounded by a crowd of spectators.

"Hi sweetheart, Mommy's here," Jamie Cohen says to one of the birds.
She's named her Velma. Cohen lives in Baltimore, and drives five
hours one way to attend the feast. She has sponsored one of the
diners for years. Her chosen bird died of natural causes last winter.
(It costs a one-time fee of $30 to sponsor a bird.
http://www.adoptaturkey.org/ ) So she's picked out a new brown bird.

"I wanted to pick out a new turkey and she's as sweet as she can be,
loves to be petted, loves to be kissed and held," Cohen says.

As you might have guessed, Cohen doesn't serve up turkey at her
Thanksgiving meal.

"We don't want to eat them," Cohen says. "They're no different than
dogs and cats. They feel pleasure and pain."

The turkey feast is hosted by the Farm Sanctuary
http://www.farmsanctuary.org/ in Watkins Glen. Susie Coston, the
Sanctuary's manager, says she wants to show people how to honor the
birds that are normally part of Thanksgiving dinner.

"One of the things we try to do is to let people really meet them,"
Coston says. "They all have names. And they all have personalities.
And they all have friendships, and we want people to see them for who
they are."

Most of the turkeys chow down on their dishes.

There's one human VIP at the meal: Seth Tibbot, who created the
Tofurky. http://www.tofurky.com/ That's exactly what it sounds like -
- a "turkey" made out of tofu. He says Tofurkys will be on about
350,000 tables this holiday season.

At the end of the meal, Tibbott pets a very stuffed turkey named
Elizabeth.

"That's how I am, by the way, after Thanksgiving dinner," Tibbot
says, looking at the bird. "I get about two steps away and then I'm
down on the floor."

It's Tibbott's very first time here at the Feeding of the Turkeys. He
says it's transformative. "You don't really have face time with
turkeys in my line of work."

Tibbott says if he had any Tofurky on him, he would give the birds a
nibble. But he's not sure they would eat it.

Tags: turkey, Thanksgiving, agriculture, Food

More at:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ee?ft=1&f=1001

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Listen to the Story
[...]

The Keral KalluMallu (V. Bhattathiri) tries his best to be a bully --
telling others what and where to post, where to post and where not to
post, deliberately publishing lies about others and stalking them --
but fails miserably. He is really stressed out, and like his lap dog
Prem Thomas (who currently posts as "P. Rajah"), he is priming
himself for conditions such as stroke and heart disease.

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:33:47 GMT, and/or www.mantra.com/jai
(Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree
>
>By Emma Jacobs
>http://innovationtrail.org/people/emma-jacobs
>NPR
>Wednesday, November 23, 2011

.. . .
>"We don't want to eat them," Cohen says. "They're no different than
>dogs and cats. They feel pleasure and pain."

· Because there are so many different situations
involved in the raising of meat animals, it is completely
unfair to the animals to think of them all in the same
way, as eliminationists do. To think that all of it is
cruel, and to think of all animals which are raised for
the production of food in the same way, oversimplifies
and distorts one's interpretation of the way things
really are. Just as it would to think that there is no
cruelty or abuse at all.

Beef cattle spend nearly their entire lives outside
grazing, which is not a bad way to live. Veal are
confined to such a degree that they appear to have
terrible lives, so there's no reason to think of both
groups of animals in the same way.
Chickens raised as fryers and broilers, and egg
producers who are in a cage free environment--as well as
the birds who parent all of them, and the birds who parent
battery hens--are raised in houses, but not in cages. The
lives of those birds are not bad. Battery hens are confined
to cages, and have what appear to be terrible lives, so
there is no reason to think of battery hens and the other
groups in the same way. ·
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:34:45 GMT, and/or www.mantra.com/jai
(Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:25:57 -0800, dh@. wrote:
>
>> · Because there are so many different situations
>>involved in the raising of meat animals, it is completely
>>unfair to the animals to think of them all in the same
>>way, as eliminationists do. To think that all of it is
>>cruel, and to think of all animals which are raised for
>>the production of food in the same way, oversimplifies
>>and distorts one's interpretation of the way things
>>really are. Just as it would to think that there is no
>>cruelty or abuse at all.
>>
>> Beef cattle spend nearly their entire lives outside
>>grazing, which is not a bad way to live. Veal are
>>confined to such a degree that they appear to have
>>terrible lives, so there's no reason to think of both
>>groups of animals in the same way.
>> Chickens raised as fryers and broilers, and egg
>>producers who are in a cage free environment--as well as
>>the birds who parent all of them, and the birds who parent
>>battery hens--are raised in houses, but not in cages. The
>>lives of those birds are not bad. Battery hens are confined
>>to cages, and have what appear to be terrible lives, so
>>there is no reason to think of battery hens and the other
>>groups in the same way. ·

>Where Turkey Is The Guest, Not The Entree

· Since the animals we raise for food would not be alive
if we didn't raise them for that purpose, it's a distortion of
reality not to take that fact into consideration whenever
we think about the fact that the animals are going to be
killed. The animals are not being cheated out of any part
of their life by being raised for food, but instead they are
experiencing whatever life they get as a result of it. ·