Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Default THE VEGAN DIET - HOW TO GUIDE FOR DIABETES

On 15/07/2011 4:38 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> The Vegan Diet - How To Guide for Diabetes
>
> pcrm.org
>
> Introduction
>
> Diet changes are the cornerstone to treating type 2 diabetes. Current
> diet recommendations require restricting portion sizes,

They do not - unless the person is overweight. As a vegan I now eat far
more than I did when I was omnivorous - in order to meet my full
necessary dietary needs. I am type 2 diabetic and am far from overweight
not all diabetics are fat.

> measuring and
> weighing foods, and limiting the total amount of carbohydrate.
> However, evidence suggests that a different dietary approach may be
> more effective and easier to follow.

Nonsense, there is no such REPUTABLE empirical evidence.

> The evidence favoring a new approach came first from comparisons of
> various populations around the world. People whose diets were based
> mainly on plant-derived foods -- that is, rice, noodles, beans, and
> vegetables -- were less likely to develop diabetes, compared with
> people whose diets are fattier or centered on meatier dishes. For
> example, among people following traditional Japanese diets, diabetes
> was rare. Studies show that when people moved from Japan to the U.S.
> and adopted a Western diet, they were much more likely to develop
> diabetes.
>
> These studies suggested that meaty, fatty diets cause the body to be
> more resistant to insulin's actions. Clinical research studies have
> shown that adopting a low-fat, plant-derived diet does indeed improve
> insulin sensitivity, help with weight loss, and reduce blood sugar
> and cholesterol.

More rubbish. Low fat fads were proven to of little value more than a
decade ago. They are only kept going by the food industry as low fat is
FAR FAR cheaper to produce than low carb, the true cause of fat gain.

> Part of the value of a low-fat, plant-based diet is that it is very
> low in saturated fat -- that is, the kind of fat that is found
> especially in meats, dairy products, and tropical oils (coconut,
> palm, or palm kernel oil). To cut fat effectively, you'll want to do
> two things:

Saturated fat is only dangerous when heated past smoke point as in BBQ
etc. Those people who consume large amounts of red meat in countries
where the meat is stewed or casseroled have no high incidences of
bowel/colon cancer as happens in demographics where grilled fired or
BBQd meat is favoured.

> The first step is to avoid animal-derived products. Needless to say,
> this eliminates all animal fats. It does something else, too: It
> eliminates animal protein. While we need protein, we do not need
> animal-derived protein. Animal proteins accelerate kidney damage in
> people who have already lost some kidney function.

ALL protein accelerates damage in those who have lost some kidney function.

> They also increase
> the loss of calcium from the body (through the kidneys and into the
> urine), potentially increasing the risk of osteoporosis. Plant
> sources of protein do not present these problems.

Absolute, unsupported nonsense.

You clearly have an agenda that doesn't support honest research or
reporting of such research.

It is one thing to advocate a vegetarian or vegan diet, it is quite
another to make dishonest claims in support of it. You are either
dishonest or clueless.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Type 2 Diabetes and the Vegan Diet

A series of studies have shown that a very low fat, mostly whole
foods vegan diet can lower body weight, reduce blood sugar, and
improve other parameters for type 2 diabetes. Additionally, a cross-
sectional study of the Adventist Health Study-2 population showed
vegans to have a 68% lower rate of diabetes than non-vegetarians.

Contents

PCRM Studies
PCRM Pilot Study (1999)
PCRM 2004-05 Study
PCRM 2005 Study on Glucose & Insulin
Vegans and the Risk of Diabetes
Conclusion
References

Continues he
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/diabetestwo

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

On 25/07/2011 2:30 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Type 2 Diabetes and the Vegan Diet
>
> A series of studies have shown that a very low fat, mostly whole
> foods vegan diet can lower body weight, reduce blood sugar, and
> improve other parameters for type 2 diabetes. Additionally, a cross-
> sectional study of the Adventist Health Study-2 population showed
> vegans to have a 68% lower rate of diabetes than non-vegetarians.

Real studies have shown that a low carb high protein diet WITH FAT
actually work more effectively for diabetics than any other. No diet
works effectively without regular exercise.

I much prefer real studies to your imaginary studies.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Barnard Vegan Diabetes Diet

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...etes-diet.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Vegan Diet Good for Type 2 Diabetes

Vegan Diet Beats ADA-Recommended Diet in Lowering Heart Disease Risk

By Caroline Wilbert
WebMD Health News

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081...ype-2-diabetes

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

On 25/07/2011 4:06 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Vegan Diet Good for Type 2 Diabetes
>
> Vegan Diet Beats ADA-Recommended Diet in Lowering Heart Disease Risk
>
> By Caroline Wilbert
> WebMD Health News
>
> http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081...ype-2-diabetes
>
> Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
> Om Shanti

In some parts of the world, giving advice regarding treatment of a
medical condition while posing as a Doctor will get you some serious
prison time. Using the internet (a "carriage" service - quaint term) to
do so compounds the crime.

Anyone can discuss medical issues as long as the are not pretending to
be doctors. I am amazed that no one has brought this fool to the
attention of the relevant authorities.

Maybe I should follow his advice, document that fact that my diabetic
control got worse, and register a complaint about him using my real name
and address.

Actually the guy who owns alt.net is pretty decent when it comes to
issues like this, maybe he might decide to kick the pretender out into
the open, make him use an ISP that doesn't hide his posting details. I
think that if a bunch of people emailed him about a phoney Doctor hiding
behind his network he might act.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Vegan Menu for
People with Diabetes

Meal Plans by Nancy Berkoff, RD, EdD

With Contributions by Cathy Conway, MS, RD, CDN; Erin M. Crandell;
and Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, FADA

Continues he
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...e2diabetes.htm

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

"Dr." Jay Maharaj is no doctor of any kind. However, it is possible that
he obtained a mail-order "doctorate" in a pseudo-science called
astrology. Even that is in doubt, because his record of "predictions"
have been remarkably worse than the statistical 50-50 of yes-no
"predictions". What "Dr." Jay Stevens Maharaj does is peddle an
extremist brand of Hinduism, and everything that he thinks it entails,
including vegetarianism, xenophobia of Muslims and Christians,
anti-feminism, anti-*** rights, suppression of low-caste Hindus and so
on. Some information on his extremist group he

http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl2012...0003210000.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3hj28go

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

There has been much research in recent years to see what combination of
protein and carbohydrates and fats produce the best results for diabetes
control. \A low carb high protein and higher fat diet in test after test
is the best.

This means for a veggie alone person tossing out rice and bread and
starchy veggies of all forms including beans and similar and all root
veggies and no added sugar and many fruits etc. would be required.
Greatly reducing veggie source oils also.

This means achieving the best combination for a veggie alone person is
very very difficult. Protein sources are limited to mostly soy
products. Oil is best as olive oil only. Being very selective in
fruits is critical.

Those who use milk products must eliminate whole milk and butter and
ghee andsimilar. Using the isolated whey proteins from milk is the best
choice.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Vegan Menu for
People with Diabetes

Meal Plans by Nancy Berkoff, RD, EdD

With Contributions by Cathy Conway, MS, RD, CDN; Erin M. Crandell;
and Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, FADA

Continues he
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...e2diabetes.htm

The Vegan Lifestyle - What to Eat?

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/eating.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Vegan Menu for
People with Diabetes

Meal Plans by Nancy Berkoff, RD, EdD

With Contributions by Cathy Conway, MS, RD, CDN; Erin M. Crandell;
and Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, FADA

Continues he
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...e2diabetes.htm

The Vegan Lifestyle - What to Eat?

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/eating.html

"Using Your Bean"

http://www.vegparadise.com/bean1.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Vegan Menu for
People with Diabetes

Meal Plans by Nancy Berkoff, RD, EdD

With Contributions by Cathy Conway, MS, RD, CDN; Erin M. Crandell;
and Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, FADA

Continues he
http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...e2diabetes.htm

The Vegan Lifestyle - What to Eat?

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/eating.html

"Using Your Bean"

http://www.vegparadise.com/bean1.html

Vegans and Diabetes

By Ginny Messina on 17. APR, 2009

Dietitian Jack Norris has published an excellent overview of research
on vegan diets and diabetes on www.veganhealth.org

Please note Jack’s comments about fat in his discussion of the
findings. I agree with him that adopting a very low fat diet over the
long term may not be advisable. I’m also not convinced that severe
fat restriction is helpful in managing diabetes; other research
suggests that replacing carbohydrate in the diet with monounsaturated
fats improves diabetic control. Higher fat diets may also improve
blood cholesterol (as long as the diet is still very low in saturated
fat).

Finally, weight loss is among the most powerful ways of improving
diabetes control, so it’s very hard to draw any conclusions about
impact of various dietary factors when the subjects lose weight. With
that said -- it makes sense that vegan diets would be a good choice
for people with diabetes since they tend to have a lower glycemic
index and are high in fiber. And vegans (on average -- but certainly not
always!) have a lower body mass index.

Here is a link to Jack’s blog which links to the article.

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=477

More at:
http://www.theveganrd.com/2009/04/ve...-diabetes.html

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Default THE CASE AGAINST VEGANISM

THE CASE AGAINST VEGANISM

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet2.html

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

Default Vegan lifestyle ‘ups risk of heart attack, stroke’

Vegan lifestyle ‘ups risk of heart attack, stroke’

People who follow a vegan lifestyle — strict vegetarians who try to eat
no meat or animal products of any kind — may increase their risk of
developing blood clots and atherosclerosis or “hardening of the
arteries,” which are conditions that can lead to heart attacks and
stroke, according to a new study.

Researchers come to the conclusion after a review of dozens of articles
published on the biochemistry of vegetarianism during the past 30 years.

In the review, researcher Duo Li notes that meat eaters are known for
having a significantly higher combination of cardiovascular risk factors
than vegetarians.

Lower-risk vegans, however, may not be immune.Their diets tend to be
lacking several key nutrients — including iron, zinc, vitamin B12, and
omega-3 fatty acids, Li said.

While a balanced vegetarian diet can provide enough protein, this isn”t
always the case when it comes to fat and fatty acids. As a result,
vegans tend to have elevated blood levels of homocysteine and decreased
levels of HDL, the “good” form of cholesterol. Both are risk factors for
heart disease.

It concludes that there is a strong scientific basis for vegetarians and
vegans to increase their dietary omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12 to
help contend with those risks. Good sources of omega-3s include salmon
and other oily fish, walnuts and certain other nuts.

Good sources of vitamin B12 include seafood, eggs, and fortified milk.
Dietary supplements also can supply these nutrients.

The finding appeared in ACS’ bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and Food
Chemistry.

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

On 10/3/2011 2:43 PM, P. Rajah wrote:
== Vegan lifestyle ‘ups risk of heart attack, stroke’
== The finding appeared in ACS’ bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and
Food Chemistry.
The Amerikan Chemical Society, ACS,
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content
is encouraging the conventional deadly chemicalized diet to support the
big chemical companies. You don't know this??
Or, perhaps you are a shill for them??
Or, just plain stupid? Which?

Laurie

scientifically-credible vegan information:
www.ecologos.org/ttdd.html

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.support.diabetes

On 10/10/2011 12:27 PM, Laurie wrote:

> On 10/3/2011 2:43 PM, P. Rajah wrote:
> == Vegan lifestyle ‘ups risk of heart attack, stroke’
> == The finding appeared in ACS’ bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and
> Food Chemistry.
> The Amerikan Chemical Society, ACS,
> http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content
> is encouraging the conventional deadly chemicalized diet to support the
> big chemical companies. You don't know this??
> Or, perhaps you are a shill for them??
> Or, just plain stupid? Which?

Projecting your stupidity onto others, Larry? I'm not a shill for
anything, but I do believe in judging issues on their own merits. Thus I
am for a sensible balance of meats, grains, fruit and vegetables in the
diet, matching the diet to your lifestyle, along with other
health-maintaining factors such as exercise and healthy air. I'm not a
shrill and often misleading fanatic like the people on either side of
the issue.

> Laurie
>
> scientifically-credible vegan information:
> www.ecologos.org/ttdd.html

You wouldn't know credibility if it smacked you in the face. When you
simply dismiss reputed scientific magazines such as the National
Geographic and the New Scientist as picturebooks and magazines for lay
people, rather than providing valid criticism of the articles within,
while trumpeting your own biased shrill nonsense as "scientifically
credible", you forfeit any shred of credibility.