Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in a Veg diet

On Jul 10, 1:29*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
On 7/10/2011 12:01 PM, Derek wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:03:26 +0100, *wrote:

Derek wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:03:38 +0100, *wrote:

Greetings Everyone,

I have been a vegetarian since 1972 and a vegan for the past 10 years.

Today I found these two groups and would like to know how the members
manage to get the right amounts of the omega 3, 6 and 9 in their food
intake.

TIA

Flax seeds will take care of your 3 and 6 requirements, and you'll
produce your own 9s if you have enough of the first two. Buy them
whole and grind only what you need to last for a couple of days. Store
the ground seeds in the fridge, if you've ground too many for one
day's requirements. I usually have between one and two table spoons a
day. They're a particularly good source of dietary fibre as well.

Thank you Derek.

Unfortunately I have an intolerance for flax seeds. I am a bit uncertain
* about whether it is the same with flax seed oil. I'll look into that
soon. I get loads of fiber/fibre (take your pick) from whole grain
breads and even psyllium husk. I pay a lot of attention to websites like
MayoClinic.com, drweil.com, Linus Pauling Institute -
lpi.oregonstate.edu, etc

You're over 70, but take heart because Donald Watson, founder of the
vegan society, was striding up mountains well into his 90s. But
anyway, aging vegans do have certain problems converting the short
chain fatty acids found in linseed and walnuts to the long chain omega
3 acids, and so you might try opting for a more direct source of this
fatty acid by taking in some blue-green algae supplements instead.

Or, he might just come to his senses and begin eating wild-caught salmon
and other animal protein sources high in omega-3.-

As long as he eats them RAW! Heating destroys the omegas.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

"Mr.Smartypants" wrote

Derek wrote:
[...]

The Source for Objective Science-based DHA/EPA Omega-3 Information
The DHA/EPA Omega-3 Institute provides the most thorough and comprehensive
body of knowledge and research relating to omega-3 fatty acids found on the
internet. All the materials on this site are evidence-based and written by
Dr. Bruce Holub, University Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Sciences at
the University of Guelph in Canada.

http://www.dhaomega3.org/FAQ/Are-Ome...hrough-cooking

Are Omega-3 and other EFAs destroyed through cooking?

We and others have measured the levels of DHA and EPA in raw vs. cooked
fish. Our studies are consistent with those from other research groups which
have generally indicated that very little or no significant reduction in the
percentages of omega-3 fatty acids as DHA and EPA in the total fat occurs
with normal cooking procedures for fatty fish. Of course, the amount of DHA
and EPA per 100 grams of fish typically goes up significantly after cooking
since the cooking process eliminates some of the water associated with the
raw fish.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:28:48 +0100, Seum wrote:

Derek wrote:

Derek wrote:
[...]

Fish oil supplements 'don't help the elderly', the Daily Mail
reported. It said a study has found that people aged 70 to 80 who took
fish oil supplements for two years did not perform any better in
memory and concentration tests than those who took a placebo.
http://tinyurl.com/3xckckt

Thank you Derek and MrSmartypants. You are the only sane voices here.
Keep up your good work and ignore the loonies :-)

You too, old-timer. Good health! http://tinyurl.com/6zoo2at