Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Reasons Why Hindus Don't Eat Meat

On Jul 8, 3:58*pm, and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
In article ,
*fanabba posted:

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

Reasons Why Hindus Don't Eat Meat

Forwarded article from:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

WHY HINDUS DON'T EAT MEAT

Besides being an expression of compassion
for animals, vegetarianism is followed for
ecological and health rationales

REASONS

* * In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters --
Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision
to stop eating the flesh of other creatures. *There are
five major motivations for such a decision:

1. The Dharmic Law Reason

* * Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first
duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's
creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

* * All of our actions, including our choice of food,
have Karmic consequences. *By involving oneself in the
cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even
indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the
future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

* * Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what
we ingest affects our consciousnes, emotions and
experiential patterns. *If one wants to live in higher
consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all
creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl
or eggs. *By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal
foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger,
jealousy, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of
death, all of which are locked into the the flesh of the
butchered creatures. *For these reasons, vegetarians live
in higher consciousness and meat-eaters abide in lower
consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

* * Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is
easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients
and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body.
Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major
diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus
live longer, healthier, more productive lives. *They have
fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the
doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills.
Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer,
more refined and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

* * Planet Earth is suffereing. *In large measure, the
escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient
rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss
of topsoils and the consequent increase of water
impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the
single fact of meat in the human diet. *No decision that
we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a
dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary
ecology as the decision not to eat meat.

HISTORY

The book FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, VEGETARIANISM AND THE WORLD
RELIGIONS, observes, "Despite popular knowledge of meat-
eating's adverse effects, the nonvegetarian diet became
increasingly widespread among the Hindus after the two
major invasions by foreign powers, first the Muslims and
later the British. *With them came the desire to be
'civilized,' to eat as did the Saheeb. *Those atually
trained in Vedic knowledge, however, never adopted a
meat-oriented diet, and the pious Hindu still observes
vegetarian principles as a matter of religious duty.

* * "That vegetarianism has always been widespread in
India is clear from the earliest Vedic texts. *This was
observed by the ancient traveler Megasthenes and also by
Fa-Hsien, a Chinese Buddhist monk who, in the fifth
century, traveled to India in order to obtain authentic
copies of the scriptures.

* * "These scriptures unambiguously support the meatless
way of life. *In the MAHABHARAT, for instance, the great
warrior Bheeshm explains to Yuddhishtira, eldest of the
Paandav princes, that the meat of animals is like the
flesh of one's own son. *Similarly, the MANUSMRITI
declares that one should 'refrain from eating all kinds
of meat,' for such eating involves killing and and leads
to Karmic bondage (Bandh) [5.49]. *Elsewhere in the Vedic
literature, the last of the great Vedic kings, Maharaja
Parikshit, is quoted as saying that 'only the animal-
killer cannot relish the message of the Absolute Truth
[Shrimad Bhagvatam 10.1.4].'"

SCRIPTURE

* * He who desires to augment his own flesh by eating
the flesh of other creatures lives in misery in whatever
species he may take his birth.
MAHABHARAT 115.47

* * Those high-souled persons who desire beauty,
faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental
and physical strength and memory should abstain from acts
of injury. MAHABHARAT 18.115.8

* * The very name of cow is Aghnya ["not to be killed"],
indicating that they should never be slaughtered. *Who,
then could slay them? *Surely, one who kills a cow or a
bull commits a heinous crime. MAHABHARAT, SHANTIPARV
262.47

* * The purchaser of flesh performs Hinsa (violence) by
his wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its
taste; the killer does Hinsa by actually tying and
killing the animal. Thus, there are three forms of
killing: he who brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts
off the limbs of an animal, and he who purchases, sells
or cooks flesh and eats it -- all of these are to be
considered meat-eaters. MAHABHARAT, ANU 115.40

* * *He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same
in all that is -- immortal in the field of mortality --
he sees the truth. *And when a man sees that the God in
himself is the same God in all that is, he hurts not
himself by hurting others. *Then he goes, indeed, to the
highest path. BHAGVAD GEETA 13.27-28

* * Ahinsa is the highest Dharm. *Ahinsa is the best
Tapas. Ahinsa is the greatest gift. *Ahinsa is the
highest self-control. *Ahinsa is the highest sacrifice.
Ahinsa is the highest power. *Ahinsa is the highest
friend. *Ahinsa is the highest truth. *Ahinsa is the
highest teaching. MAHABHARAT 18.116.37-41

* * What is the good way? *It is the path that reflects
on how it may avoid killing any creature. TIRUKURAL 324

* * All that lives will press palms together in
prayerful adoration of those who refuse to slaughter and
savor meat. TIRUKURAL 260

* * What is virtuous conduct? *It is never destroting
life, for killing leads to every other sin. TIRUKURAL
312, 321

* * Goodness is never one with the minds of these two:
one who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a
creature's flesh. TIRUKURAL 253

End of forwarded article from:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi, Vedic Astrologer
Born and raised in a Hindu family in Varanasi, a vegetarian since birth
Om Shanti

The principles of *Sanatan Dharm *are profound in their wisdom !

Jai ho Sanatan Dharm kee!

Tributes to Hinduism

1. Mahatma Gandhi:

"Hinduism has made marvelous discoveries in things of
religion, of the spirit, of the soul. We have no eye for
these great and fine discoveries. We are dazzled by the
material progress that western science has made. Ancient
India has survived because Hinduism was not developed
along material but spiritual lines.

"India is to me the dearest country in the world, because
I have discovered goodness in it. It has been subject to
foreign rule, it is true. But the status of a slave is
preferable to that of a slave holder."

2. Henry David Thoreau:

"In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous
and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita in
comparison with which our modern world and its literature
seems puny.

"What extracts from the Vedas I have read fall on me like
the light of a higher and purer luminary, which describes
a loftier course through purer stratum. It rises on me
like the full moon after the stars have come out, wading
through some far stratum in the sky."

3. Arthur Schopenhauer:

"In the whole world there is no study so beneficial and
so elevating as that of the Upanishads. It has been the
solace of my life -- it will be the solace of my death."

4. Ralph Waldo Emerson said this about the Gita:

"I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad Gita. It was as
if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but
large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old
intelligence which in another age and climate had
pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which
exercise us."

The famous poem "Brahm" is an example of his Vedanta
ecstasy.

5. Wilhelm von Humboldt pronounced the Gita as:

"The most beautiful, perhaps the only true philosophical
song existing in any known tongue ... perhaps the deepest
and loftiest thing the world has to show."

6. Lord Warren Hastings, the Governor General, was very
much impressed with Hindu philosophy:

"The writers of the Indian philosophies will survive,
when the British dominion in India shall long have ceased
to exist, and when the sources which it yielded of wealth
and power are lost to remembrances."

7. Mark Twain:

"So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left
undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most
extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds.
Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.

"Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of
human speech, grandmother of legend, great grandmother of
tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having
seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse
for the shows of the rest of the globe combined."

8. Rudyard Kipling to Fundamental Christian Missionaries:

"Now it is not good for the Christian's health to hustle
the Hindu brown for the Christian riles and the Hindu
smiles and weareth the Christian down; and the end of the
fight is a tombstone while with the name of the ...

read more »- Hide quoted text -

Dhanyavaad for your seva to Sanatan Dharm !

Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Eating MEAT as PER HINDU VEDAS

Eating MEAT as PER HINDU VEDAS / MAHABHARATA
By Muktak Joshi

HINDU SCRIPTURES ALLOW NON-VEGETARIAN FOODSome Hindus think that it is
against their religion to have non-vegetarian food But the fact is that
the Hindu scriptures permit a person to have meat The scripture mentions
sages and saints having meat. Hindu scriptures clearly mention that
there is nothing wrong in having meat.It is mentioned in Manu Smruti,
the law book of Hindus!

In chapter 5 verse 30 “The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten
does nothing bad! even if he does it day after day; for God himself
created some to be eaten and some to be eater”Again next verse of Manu
Smruti that is; chapter 5 verse 31 says “Eating meat is right for the
sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods”Further in
Manu Smruti chapter 5 verse 39 and 40 says “God himself created
sacrificial animals for sacrifice… therefore killing in a sacrifice is
not killing.”Manu Smruti even narrates the supremacy of killing animals
in sacrifice it is mentioned in chapter 5 verse 42 “A twice born (a
Brahmin) who knows the true meaning of Vedas and injures sacrificial
animals for CORRECT PURPOSES cause both himself and the animal to go to
the highest level of existence”.

Among the Hindu scriptures Vedas are considered as most ancient and most
sacred. We find mentioning of non-vegetarian food in Vedas too it is
mentioned in Rig-Veda book 10 Hymn 27 verse 2 “Then will I, when I lead
my friends to battle against the radiant persons of godless, prepare for
thee at home a vigorous bullock, and pour for thee the fifteen fold
strong juices”Again in RigVeda book 10 Hymn 28 verse 3 it says “0 Indra,
Bulls they dress for thee, and of these (meat) thou eatest when
Maghavan, with food thou art invited”. In Rig veda Book 10 Hymn 86 verse
13 says “indra will eat thy bulls, thy dear oblation that effecteth
much. Supreme is Indra over all”These verses indicates that Indra, a god
of vedic age, used to eat meat.Also another god of vedic age, Agni, is
referred to as “flesh-eater’ in vedas.

Mo http://veeaar.com/archives/136

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism
Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.bonehead.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 7/8/2011 6:03 PM, Jay Stevens Maharaj aka the jumpin' jackass
jyotishithead aka the abominable ass-troll-oger wrote:

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian

http://www.i-mockery.com/meatatarian/hitler.jpg