FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian, and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/405199-re-five-reasons-vegetarian.html)

Tim923[_2_] 24-02-2011 01:07 AM

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian, and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat

I just find eating animal flesh (or meat) unappetizing. I get really sick
to my stomach when it's there. I would probably be flexible and eat now and
then if I could, but get too sick.

Dutch 24-02-2011 08:28 AM

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian, and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat

"Tim923" > wrote
> I just find eating animal flesh (or meat) unappetizing. I get really sick
> to my stomach when it's there. I would probably be flexible and eat now
> and then if I could, but get too sick.

That's just a mental block, there's no physiological reason for that type of
aversion.

George Plimpton 28-02-2011 01:44 AM

On 2/27/2011 5:24 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Vegetarianism: Recommended in Vedic Scripture

There's only one reason, and that's to pretend you're morally superior,
even though really you're not.

M. Ranjit Mathews 28-02-2011 01:58 AM

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian, and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat

On Feb 27, 8:24*pm, and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> Vegetarianism: Recommended in Vedic Scripture
>
> By Stephen Knapphttp://www.stephen-knapp.com
>
> Many times there seems to be some confusion or lack of
> clarity on whether the Vedic path condones or condemns
> the eating of meat. Often times I hear Indians and
> followers of the Vedic path explain that meat eating is
> all right, that the Vedic shastras do not condemn it. Of
> course, in this day and age meat eating includes and
> supports the whole meat industry, which is the systematic
> slaughter of thousands of animals on a daily basis. But
> if we actually research the Vedic texts we will find that
> there are numerous references in the various portions of
> the Vedic literature which explain in no uncertain terms
> the karmic dangers of meat-eating and unnecessary animal
> slaughter. These indicate that meat eating should be
> given up for one's spiritual and even material progress.
> This means that the Vedic conclusions that some people
> present for meat-eating are not accurate, and that they
> have never studied their own religious books very
> thoroughly. This is something that is important to
> understand, so let us take a look.
>
> VEDIC REFERENCES AGAINST MEAT-EATING AND ANIMAL SLAUGHTER
>
> To start with, the Manu-samhita clearly and logically
> recommends that, "Meat can never be obtained without
> injury to living creatures,

Does Manu say anything about how to obtain vegetarian food without
injury to living creatures?

> and injury to sentient beings
> is detrimental to the attainment of heavenly bliss;

In what way would your chances of heavenly bliss be affected if you
were to offer as prasadam rice that has been obtained by taking many
lives?