Posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default The China Study: Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health,

The science is clear. The results are unmistakable.
http://www.thechinastudy.com/
Change your diet and dramatically reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes,
heart disease and obesity.

Respected nutrition and health researcher, Dr. T. Colin Campbell
reveals the truth behind special interest groups, government entities
and scientists that have taken Americans down a deadly path

Even today, as the low-carb craze sweeps the nation, two-thirds of
adults are still obese and children are being diagnosed with Type II
diabetes, typically an "adult" disease, at an alarming rate. If we're
eating healthier, why are Americans stricken with heart disease as
much as we were 30 years ago?

Drawing on the project findings in rural China, but going far beyond
those findings, The China Study details the connection between
nutrition and heart disease, diabetes and cancer. The report also
examines the source of nutritional confusion produced by powerful
lobbies, government entities, and opportunistic scientists. The New
York Times has recognized the study (China-Oxford-Cornell Diet and
Health Project) as the "Grand Prix of epidemiology" and the "most
comprehensive large study ever undertaken of the relationship between
diet and the risk of developing disease."

"After a long career in research and policy-making, I have decided to
step 'out of the system'. I have decided to disclose why Americans are
so confused," said Dr. Campbell. "As a taxpayer who foots the bill for
research and health policy in America, you deserve to know that many
of the common notions you have been told about food, health and
disease are wrong."

"I propose to do nothing less than redefine what we think of as good
nutrition. You need to know the truth about food, and why eating the
right way can save your life."

Early in his career as a researcher with MIT and Virginia Tech, Dr.
Campbell worked to promote better health by eating more meat, milk and
eggs -- "high-quality animal protein ... It was an obvious sequel to
my own life on the farm and I was happy to believe that the American
diet was the best in the world."

He later was a researcher on a project in the Philippines working with
malnourished children. The project became an investigation for Dr.
Campbell, as to why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed
with liver cancer, predominately an adult disease. The primary goal of
the project was to ensure that the children were getting as much
protein as possible.

"In this project, however, I uncovered a dark secret. Children who ate
the highest protein diets were the ones most likely to get liver
cancer..." He began to review other reports from around the world that
reflected the findings of his research in the Philippines.

Although it was "heretical to say that protein wasn't healthy," he
started an in-depth study into the role of nutrition, especially
protein, in the cause of cancer.

The research project culminated in a 20-year partnership of Cornell
University, Oxford University, and the Chinese Academy of Preventive
Medicine, a survey of diseases and lifestyle factors in rural China
and Taiwan. More commonly known as the China Study, "this project
eventually produced more than 8000 statistically significant
associations between various dietary factors and disease."

The findings? "People who ate the most animal-based foods got the most
chronic disease ... People who ate the most plant-based foods were the
healthiest and tended to avoid chronic disease. These results could
not be ignored," said Dr. Campbell.

In The China Study, Dr. Campbell details the connection between
nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and also its
ability to reduce or reverse the risk or effects of these deadly
illnesses. The China Study also examines the source of nutritional
confusion produced by powerful lobbies, government entities, and
irresponsible scientists.

The China Study is not a diet book. Consumers are bombarded with
conflicting messages regarding health and nutrition; the market is
flooded with popular titles like The Atkins Diet and The South Beach
Diet. The China Study cuts through the haze of misinformation and
delivers an insightful message to anyone living with cancer, diabetes,
heart disease, obesity, and those concerned with the effects of aging.
Additionally, he challenges the validity of these low-carb fad diets
and issues a startling warning to their followers.