Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Default Will this product be available and affordable anytime soon?

Stormmee wrote:

> we agree on most of this so i don't feel we are arguing,

At least we are arguing maturely and not degenerating into name-calling that
usually seems to happen in newsgroups. I like you and respect your input
even though I sometimes disagree. It's nice to me to be able to debate an
issue from two different view-points. And I'm always open to learn
something new too.

> that few calories (400 per day) affects more than your body,
> it seriously screws with your thinking.

I'm with you there. I can go on a 1000 calorie per day diet and lose about
5 real pounds per week. I'm very active in job though. I don't just sit at
a desk all day. Working hard and physically isn't enough though...I have to
add in more walking or running. Even with my 1000 calorie diet, it's very
hard. I spend my time planning meals using a calorie counter. After a long
time, I start having food dreams. That's when the diet turns just plain
evil. eheh

> the metabolic rate is just my point, because of medications i took in the
> past, if i don't eat uberbalanced, and very regularily my body goes into...
> for want of a better word "starvation mode"

That's why I say it's important to combine a diet with regular aerobic
exercise. It will compensate for the body's defense mechanism of
"starvation mode."

> what i can tell you is that balanced for me is more meat than i care to eat,
> and about thirty percent higher than most nutrition guides say,

One thing I know is that high fat or protein meals keep you satisfied
longer. Eat a high carb meal and you are hungry again in an hour or so.
Hence, the old joke about eating Chinese....it only lasts for about an hour.

> carbs are
> fine but i keep them to things like brown rice and beans and fruit... i eat
> loads of vegetables because i plain like them.

Well, there you go and I totally agree with you. You are eating the
"better" carbs. The complex carbohydrates are good for you...the simple
carbohydrates are short-term energy. Carbs get their bad reputation because
all the junk food is full of the simple carbs.

Interestingly though, all fruits contain simple carbs but yet we are told
they are good for us. huh!

Your muscles use sugar for fuel/energy.

Eat a simple carb meal....like candy bars, cakes, etc
and you will get immediate energy but it doen't last very long

Eat a complex carb meal and it will fuel the muscles for a longer time.
Good athletes use this for fuel for events.

Eat a meal high in fat/protein and your body has to go into overdrive to
convert that into sugar for the muscles. This will make you feel full
longer (and probably eat less) but will also make you feel sluggish.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> Well, there you go and I totally agree with you. You are eating the
> "better" carbs. The complex carbohydrates are good for you...the simple
> carbohydrates are short-term energy. Carbs get their bad reputation because
> all the junk food is full of the simple carbs.

There has been a change in thought about simple and complex carbs.
Somebody actually did some experiments, instead of just making stuff up
in their head, and found that it appears that the old complex carbs are
sometimes processed into sugar faster than *some* of the old simple
carbs (like ordinary sugar). So all carbs, whether sugar or starch, are
now being lumped together.

> Interestingly though, all fruits contain simple carbs but yet we are told
> they are good for us. huh!

Fruit has a lot of bulk to it. This fiber makes us feel full, and
provides other benefits. Therefore, a small amount of fruit is good.
Large amounts of fruit are not good. Fruit juice can be bad. For a
good education, watch fresh squeezed orange juice being made. It takes
a lot of oranges to make a little juice.

> Your muscles use sugar for fuel/energy.
>
> Eat a simple carb meal....like candy bars, cakes, etc
> and you will get immediate energy but it doen't last very long

Foods like candy bars, cakes, pies and ice cream are all very high in
fat. They tend to blow low calorie diets pretty quickly. The sugar
just adds to the problem.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.cooking-chat,rec.food.cooking

Carbs are carbs, what really matters is the ratio of carbs to other
healthier components, i.e., vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants. fiber. It's
incorrect to call a peach or a tomato or a potato a carb. It is a food that
contains carbs. If you are trying to limit carbs pick the things that have
a smaller amount of carbs and higher proportions of the other things listed
above.

There has been a great deal of talk about glycemic index, that means the
speed with which the carbs in a certain food are processed. However, if you
are going to consider this, you have to proceed to glycemic load which is
the combination of the indexes of food A and food B. It's much easier and
accurate to count net carbs, that's the total carbs minus the fiber carbs.
In the U.S. nutrition labels list total carbs with fiber indented:

Carbs 45
Fiber 20
They don't do the math for you, you have to subtract 45 minus 20 to get the
25 net carbs.

In England and Europe they do the math, this same food would show:

Carbs 25
Firber 20